Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. (4827 Views)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / How Toyota Engines Are Re-built In Ladipo / Sunday Okpere Built A Vehicle Called ‘Rock Auto’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by jericho: 8:42am On Sep 11, 2007
Hi Guys,

I am a car freak and have had the opportunity of owning both UK and american built cars over the years.

Take for example there is the UK built honda accord 1997 (bullet) and the american built honda accord 1997 (bulldog).

I have noticed that most cars from UK come with manual gears and the ones from America come with Auto transmission. Now guys which one has better performance, design and interior? Also have you noticed that the cars from the UK are cheaper for the same model than their american counterparts.

Kindly post your views, experience and comments.

Thanks

Jericho.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Guardian(m): 11:29am On Sep 11, 2007
Jericoco,

There's no need for debate. AMERICA consumers demand highest standards any time any day for any product.

of course the reason why new relase of most products (especially autos) land the Amercian market before the Euro Market and with all the luxury you will pay so much extra to find and buy in the Euro market.

To cut the long talk AMERCIAN model top in terms of interior, drive-pleasure and engine power which equals performance.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by BlackHawk(m): 10:58pm On Sep 11, 2007
In the past, the average American car buyer did not know quality if it bit them in the ass. They just bought what the American manufactures fed them. Times have changed now, so why do you think that the Japanese products have made such great inroads in the American market?
Just look at the major American manufactures, their share of the market has been dropping over the years in favor of the Japanese cars. Quality and reliability. I have owned Japanese built cars for years, both new and used and have no complaints about any of them. (will not buy American cars) And on top of that, the Brits in the past built crap.
Regards.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 11, 2007
I disagree.

Cars common to the European and American market are very different in design and purpose.

I buy cars here, and break them for parts. They sell on ebay, and my biggest market is the American market. They actually prefer the "Euro" look, and go out of their way to customise their cars to this end.

As for performance, the American cars are geared more towards emissions, European models more towards performance.

I'll give a few examples:

European Audi quattro turbo 10V: 200 horsepower, American version 165 horsepower.
European Audi S4: 265 horsepower, max speed 155mph, American version 265 horsepower, max speed 130mph.
European Volkswagen Golf II 16V: 139 horsepower, American version 120 horsepower.
European Audi Coupe GT 2.2: 136 horsepower, American version 115 horsepower.
European Volkswagen Corrado VR6: 190 horsepower, American version 174 horsepower.

These are just a few examples. In the past, American cars were spec'd higher that the equivalent European models, but not anymore. In fact, most enthusiastic drivers in Europe will actually order their cars new, but decline some of the extras, extras add weight to a car, and blunt performance. It's not uncommon to find top end European supercars like Ferrari, Lamorghini, Bugatti, Porsche etc with a lot of options missing. Some have no power steering either, as a true drivers car needs feedback  from the road to the driver.

Automatic transmission IS easier to drive, but the design actually saps power from the engine, and as a result, performance is more leisurely than an equivalent car with manual transmission.

Yes, American crash standards MAY be higher, but ALL European cars that are sold in America have the same standard. Currently, the highest star rating for crash resistance is 5. Virtually all current European cars built are Euro 5 compliant. The ones however destined for the American market have different emmision control, so performance is not as good.

Another factor is fuel quality. The highest fuel octane rating in the US is typically 92 RON, while in Europe, it's 99. An European spec car will NOT perform at it's full potential in the US, with lower octane fuel.

I also sell a lot of European ECU's to American clients, as the American versions are so strangled in terms of performance due to tighter US legislation.

An example can be seen in engine type / design. An average American big block V8 will produce a smooth 280 - 400 horsepower, typically with capacity between 4.0 and 7.0 litre. Nice. But, an European V8, with capacity between 3.0 and 5.4 litre will produce between 325 and 650 horsepower.

It's not that the Americans can't build powerful cars, they can, they are just more emission conscious. European cars can afford to run higher compression ratios, due to the higher octan fuel available. A similar high compression will NOT be  reliable long term with US low octane fuel, as the piston crowns will be damaged by detonation (pinking). Modern American cars, if designed with high compression similar to European versions WILL be safe, but the engine management (ECU) will retard the ignition timing to safer levels to compensate for lower octane fuel, as this will reduce engine output, it becomes pointless.

It's impossible to achieve 100% fuel combustion, but a higher compression engine is a fair bit more efficient than a low compression one.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Tats(m): 11:41pm On Sep 11, 2007
@Siena, to Digress a bit from the topic. Your signature says "styling a volvo is like putting makeup on a pig". What does it really mean? Thinking of getting a new Volvo S40 2007/2008 thats why I am curious to know.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 11, 2007
Tats:

@Siena, to Digress a bit from the topic. Your signature says "styling a volvo is like putting makeup on a pig". What does it really mean? Thinking of getting a new Volvo S40 2007/2008 thats why I am curious to know.

Oh, that was more in the days when Volvo's were so square, you could cut yourself on the corners! grin

They're better these days.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Tats(m): 12:04am On Sep 12, 2007
Siena:

Oh, that was more in the days when Volvo's were so square, you could cut yourself on the corners! grin

They're better these days.

Alright, thanks. Was worried as I had done extensive research on various options and had virtually settled for the S40.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 12:11am On Sep 12, 2007
i dont think that quality of a car will depend on what the horsepower is said to be.
some of the european cars emits some funny gas while teh AC is on, at least that is what i have noticed, and infact, that is the reason why canadiam govt will not let you import personal vehicle from europe to canada without you making some modifications to it.
Americans will not settle for less, and when it comes to real cars, even the non-americans have had to make their specs to be acceptable by the americans and that is why their sales is going up by day
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 12, 2007
$$Rhino:

i don't think that quality of a car will depend on what the horsepower is said to be.
some of the european cars emits some funny gas while the AC is on, at least that is what i have noticed, and infact, that is the reason why canadiam govt will not let you import personal vehicle from europe to canada without you making some modifications to it.
Americans will not settle for less, and when it comes to real cars, even the non-americans have had to make their specs to be acceptable by the americans and that is why their sales is going up by day

I understand your point, Rhino. I'm also aware of US legislations, regarding cars imported there.
I've carried out modifications for some Brits, who moved out ther. Laminated rear screen, sealed beam headlamps, side impact bars, different bumpers etc.

But again, Japanese cars are better sellers in the US, the Lexus Coupe was one of the best selling Coupe's a few years back, not sure if it still is.

I know Americans complain about their own cars, and they do have a tendency to prefer European models. But hey, they're all good cars, personal taste's a great part of decisions though.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 12:28am On Sep 12, 2007
Trust me, who wanna drive the american cars? they are boring, and has nothing to them, however, all i am agruing about is that, the cars manufactured in americas, including toyotas, nissans and hondas are better than the ones realy made in japan and in europe.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 12:31am On Sep 12, 2007
i think it has something 2 do wid class and style coz we're neither here nor there.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 12:40am On Sep 12, 2007
henry, it is not only about class and style, it is about durability, quality and better stuff for your money, though the american vehicles are cheaper at purchase, but cost more to maintain than the imports that cost more at purchase, pls not that aint talking about the cars on nigerian roads, cos nigeria raod could make a hummer drive home without a door, after the bang aand bang on dem roads.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 12:50am On Sep 12, 2007
ok i totally agree
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by Nobody: 12:52am On Sep 12, 2007
$$Rhino:

henry, it is not only about class and style, it is about durability, quality and better stuff for your money, though the american vehicles are cheaper at purchase, but cost more to maintain than the imports that cost more at purchase, please not that aint talking about the cars on nigerian roads, because[b] nigeria raod could make a hummer drive home without a door,[/b] after the bang aand bang on them roads.

Rhino, that really made me laugh, poor Hummer! grin grin grin
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 12:56am On Sep 12, 2007
well that made me feel sorry 4 myself coz i was 2 dumb 2 make a point, happy now?
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 1:06am On Sep 12, 2007
henry, haba, dont like when a broda talk like that, we are all here to learn and to rub mind and to share ideas.

Siena, real poor hummer oh.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 1:12am On Sep 12, 2007
u want to know what i think, car is car uk america japan china german. infact i'll go 4 american because dats wat the dealers recommend
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 1:14am On Sep 12, 2007
i totally disagree with you, if you give me a brand new european made car, i will sell it and by a one year used japanese in america, i hate cars that are boring, i love my cars to have toys.
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 1:18am On Sep 12, 2007
cars 2 have toys, r u a child?
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 1:34am On Sep 12, 2007
henryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, pls dont lemme hear that again oh, that u dont know that cars have toys, my guy, the best toy my woman could get me is a loaded car, and the only way to know it is time to change a car is when u have been accustomed to all dem toys grin tongue
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 1:38am On Sep 12, 2007
well i dont have a car and certainly wont want 1 wid toys , i beliv dats a gurly thing and its crappy , dont need no toyz
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 1:47am On Sep 12, 2007
henry, when i said a toy, i dont mean a barbie doll with some pinkie dress, pally i mean the loadzzzz like all den gears that comes with it, like the buttonsssssssssssssssssssss
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 1:50am On Sep 12, 2007
oh ok, but wats a car without those?
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 1:58am On Sep 12, 2007
henry, here is a nice one, the first toy on this is top is naked, hahahahahaha

Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:01am On Sep 12, 2007
i see, so u're a car freak, u flirt with cars
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:10am On Sep 12, 2007
pally i love cars, now compare than to some FIAT in lagos or in europe tongue
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:17am On Sep 12, 2007
i'm not crazy about cars since i know i'll drive 1 later on so y get freaked out with dis 1 or dat 1. wld u beliv dis, i can't even drive
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:23am On Sep 12, 2007
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, my guy, haba, you are a man and i am sure not underage, pls go and learn how to drive, i used to say, i wont even date a babe that cant drive, till i met my last woman, and she is too good to disqualify all cos she no fit shift the gear
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:28am On Sep 12, 2007
driving is just 2 easy i feel i can drive 2 welll 2 lower myself 2 drivin school
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:34am On Sep 12, 2007
my guy dont say that, there are some strategic driving that could be kool to be learnt, however, you know ur capabilities, just learn to drive that is all, how will u feel if you and your babe go on a date and she throw the keys of her dad's navigator at you to drive, you will start to sweat and pee in ya pant, cos you will feel ashame say u no fit drive, i beg learn jare, atole
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by henry007(m): 2:36am On Sep 12, 2007
ok i totally agree wid u
Re: Which Is Better Uk Or American Built Cars. by ssRhino: 2:37am On Sep 12, 2007
kool tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2007 Having Engine Oil Shortages / Can Someone Please Help My Poor Little Lexus? / 2013 Honda Accord With 178,864miles!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.