Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! (3970 Views)

Don’t Go Abroad For Medicare Throughout Your Four Years – LP Tells Buhari / APC Should Let Buhari Seek Medicare Abroad - Ayo Fayose / Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Sunofgod(m): 9:58am On Oct 15, 2011
Wow - Rivers Declares Free Medicare For Residents!

By GEORGE ONAH,  Port Harcourt|

The Rivers State Government has declared free medical care for its residents, irrespective of their age, sex or state of origin.

Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr. Ibim Semenitari told the newsmen in Port Harcourt, that it was regrettable that many people were not aware of the free medical care, adding that government had removed the ceiling in the ages and place of origin which had earlier disqualified some people from benefitting from the scheme.

However, to qualify for the scheme now, the individual must be a resident of the state, show evidence of payment of utility and tax bills as well as his/her voters’ card.

Residents must also register officially at the nearest medical facility as a pre-condition to be attended to.

“We have discovered that people are not taking advantage of the opportunity that the government is providing. So we are reminding the citizens that government is providing free medical care for them.

’’We want to remind our citizens that the state government provides a free medical care and we want everybody to use the facilities effectively,” he said.

In another development, the state Traffic Management Authority, TIMA-RIV, has been mandated by the state government to impound tricycles plying the two local governments areas of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor.

Transport Commissioner Mr. George Tolofari told reporters in Port Harcourt that commercial motorcycles had been banned in Eleme, Oyigbo, Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Council areas. Further to this, the authority said it would now arrest offending members of the armed forces and police.

’’We shall also arrest corporate bodies, multinationals and political office holders who contravene traffic rules” Tolofari said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/rivers-declares-free-medicare/
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Sunofgod(m): 10:00am On Oct 15, 2011
However, to qualify for the scheme now, the individual must be a resident of the state, show evidence of payment of utility and tax bills as well as his/her voters’ card.

Despite the catches - I'm impressed.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Afam4eva(m): 10:16am On Oct 15, 2011
Chibuike Amaechi is a visionary leader. He's not as tribalistic and chauvinistic as some governors we have in Nigeria eg Theodoore Orji. That's how it's supposed to be. Thumbs up.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Sunofgod(m): 10:23am On Oct 15, 2011

I wish I could find out if:

Say you produced a voters card that showed you voted for the opposition + you dont pay utility bills because you live without electricity + dont pay tax because you are jobless - Do you stll get treatment?
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by nolongTing: 10:41am On Oct 15, 2011
Sun of god:

By GEORGE ONAH, Port Harcourt|

The Rivers State Government has declared free medical care for its residents, irrespective of their age, sex or state of origin.

Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr. Ibim Semenitari told the newsmen in Port Harcourt, that it was regrettable that many people were not aware of the free medical care, adding that government had removed the ceiling in the ages and place of origin which had earlier disqualified some people from benefitting from the scheme.

Residents must also register officially at the nearest medical facility as a pre-condition to be attended to.

“We have discovered that people are not taking advantage of the opportunity that the government is providing. So we are reminding the citizens that government is providing free medical care for them.

’’We want to remind our citizens that the state government provides a free medical care and we want everybody to use the facilities effectively,” he said.

In another development, the state Traffic Management Authority, TIMA-RIV, has been mandated by the state government to impound tricycles plying the two local governments areas of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor.

Transport Commissioner Mr. George Tolofari told reporters in Port Harcourt that commercial motorcycles had been banned in Eleme, Oyigbo, Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Council areas. Further to this, the authority said it would now arrest offending members of the armed forces and police.

’’We shall also arrest corporate bodies, multinationals and political office holders who contravene traffic rules” Tolofari said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/rivers-declares-free-medicare/

Sounds good, I would just like to know how good are the medical facilities in Rivers State?
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Beaf: 11:30am On Oct 15, 2011
This is a feat that will be easily replicated across the SS/SE and the Middle Belt if the country breaks up. Delta state has already had free maternal health care since 2007.
Nice one from Amaechi.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by seanet02: 11:35am On Oct 15, 2011
Beaf:

This is a feat that will be easily replicated across the SS/SE and the Middle Belt if the country breaks up. Delta state has already had free maternal health care since 2007.
Nice one from Amaechi.
Liar
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by stagger: 2:18pm On Oct 15, 2011
I am not aware that this is a blanket free treatment program. Peter Odili's administration had instituted free treatment for pregnant women, and those below 6 years and above ?60 years.

So it is really nothing new.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by texazzpete(m): 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2011
This is great news!
However, let's look at the big picture: At exactly the same salary as before, the workload of the doctors in Rivers State will now increase by up to 300%. A commensurate improvement in the welfare package of the medical services personnel in the State would have been best practice to prevent any future industrial disputes.

Nice move!
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Bawss1(m): 2:36pm On Oct 15, 2011
Good one from Amaechi.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Torch1(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2011
Gov. Chibuike Amechi is working, Rivers state is working, But not all state can do it, Rivers state is one of the richest state in Nigeria.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by frenchman2: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2011
what has voter's card got to do with free med.

what if you were not old enough to vote,

what if during the registration you were bedridden,

what if you weren't in the country during the registration and you missed out,

what if,

what if,

what if,

They should used their brains
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Spyker: 3:16pm On Oct 15, 2011
Lie, Lie, lie. All lies.
This is just for the news for the media houses. All this is propaganda, what has voters card got to do with free health. The old policy was for children 0 - 5years of age and those at 60 or above.I am just tired of this lies and deceit.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by DerMeister: 4:05pm On Oct 15, 2011
Me thinks the better part of d post is the ban on "keke napep", I hope that's true!
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by dinggle: 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2011
And what is Fashola waiting for?

Mr. What if! didn't u hear residence? do u want ppl like me from Lagos to go to rivers when sick?
Voters registration is suppose to be an on-going thingy, go to Inec and register, if it is not on-going then something is obviously wrong with Mr. Inec. Kids who are not old enough would be attended to as long as their parents can provide proof of their registration cards  lipsrsealed , the issue of tax is necessary to show you are also contributing to make free medical care a possibility. Fashola a.k.a Mr. tax master, this man don dust u patapata. Amechi for President 2015. Even America haven't found the solution to free health care for its citizens.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Ad4(m): 4:23pm On Oct 15, 2011
This is the kind of news I want to hear.Any government that does things or create/impliment policies that affect the common man is a good government not speaking big english that the yam seller doesn't understand.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by otokx(m): 4:35pm On Oct 15, 2011
another political talk to bamboozle outsiders, tell amaechi to repair the roads, the rains have stopped.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 15, 2011
Are there hospitals in Rivers State? Oh okay there are hospitals, but do we have drugs there ?
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by aloyemeka1: 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2011
Whats the limit?; How will the state pay for it?
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by RickyRoss1(m): 8:23pm On Oct 15, 2011
otokx:

another political talk to bamboozle outsiders, tell amaechi to repair the roads, the rains have stopped.

Lets be honest for once, this news is good and Amaechi is working for this state. Can you in any way compare Amechi to that greedy bastard called Odili? I live in Port Harcourt and can confirm that this governor is miles above any other Nigerian governor in the areas of education and medicare. Amaechi has build world class schools and hospitals all over this state, it started from the most interior villages to the main cities. The primary and secondary schools this man has built in this state is far much better and more advanced than some of the trash we call universities here in Nigeria. All these primary/secondary schools are fully air conditioned and fully equipped with standard lab, basketball courts, computer per student infact the building alone is class.

As for medicare there is free medicare for pregnant women and children under 6 years old and the elderly above 60 years. This has been existing in Rivers State for years. As for the quality of the hospitals here i will say its good. I am yet to see a governor that has done better than Amaechi in medical delivery

I agree many roads in PHC are bad but all these roads are under construction and the contractors were mandated to STOP work since they claim the previous jobs they did didn't last because they were mandated to work during rainy season. Only RCC is currently working (Eliozu Road) and their job quality is very good.

I am in Nigeria since December I have been able to spend at least 8 days in 10 different states of Nigeria if I should rate the governors Amaechi tops everyone in Education and medical delivery, and Enugu/Akwaibom is tops in road construction
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2011
Good step in the right direction but, a lot need to be done!
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by phantom(m): 9:37pm On Oct 15, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

Lets be honest for once, this news is good and Amaechi is working for this state. Can you in any way compare Amechi to that greedy bastard called Odili? I live in Port Harcourt and can confirm that this governor is miles above any other Nigerian governor in the areas of education and medicare. Amaechi has build world class schools and hospitals all over this state, it started from the most interior villages to the main cities. The primary and secondary schools this man has built in this state is far much better and more advanced than some of the trash we call universities here in Nigeria. All these primary/secondary schools are fully air conditioned and fully equipped with standard lab, basketball courts, computer per student infact the building alone is class.

As for medicare there is free medicare for pregnant women and children under 6 years old and the elderly above 60 years. This has been existing in Rivers State for years. As for the quality of the hospitals here i will say its good. I am yet to see a governor that has done better than Amaechi in medical delivery

I agree many roads in PHC are bad but all these roads are under construction and the contractors were mandated to STOP work since they claim the previous jobs they did didn't last because they were mandated to work during rainy season. Only RCC is currently working (Eliozu Road) and their job quality is very good.

I am in Nigeria since December I have been able to spend at least 8 days in 10 different states of Nigeria if I should rate the governors Amaechi tops everyone in Education and medical delivery, and Enugu/Akwaibom is tops in road construction
Classic post, absolutely beautiful, let me reinforce, No governor , and i mean no governor comes close to akwa ibom's in road construction, Julius berger wan finish the place with roads
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by ojubi(m): 9:42pm On Oct 15, 2011
Now mr AMECHI, we the residents of portharcourt dont need yo ligth cos we all ve generators, we dont need water cos we all have bore holes, we dont  need your frivolous free health care cos we have pharmacies acrose the streets. Please stop all this media propaganda tha u and gov AKPABIO are doing and give us ROADS in porthacourt. It is a shame that u cant drive any were in phc. City and u are on the news on daily basis doing self praise singing. ODILI was like u, see were he ended today. He cant find his voice. SHAME on u, SHAME on your bad ROADS.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by phantom(m): 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2011
ojubi:

Now mr AMECHI, we the residents of portharcourt dont need yo ligth cos we all ve generators, we dont need water cos we all have bore holes, we dont  need your frivolous free health care cos we have pharmacies acrose the streets. Please stop all this media propaganda tha u and gov AKPABIO are doing and give us ROADS in porthacourt. It is a shame that u cant drive any were in phc. City and u are on the news on daily basis doing self praise singing. ODILI was like u, see were he ended today. He cant find his voice. SHAME on u, SHAME on your bad ROADS.
maybe when you learn to spell, he'll construct roads,  grin
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by clip: 10:46pm On Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the free medical as you declared. I wish you are making us to get value for our money.You have asked all of us to pay a social levy FROM NEXT YEAR.WE NEED ROADS, MOST ROADS ARE BLOCKED.OPEN RUPUKWU,ENEKA AND OTHER ROADS.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by texazzpete(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2011
phantom:

Classic post, absolutely beautiful, let me reinforce, No governor , and i mean no governor comes close to akwa ibom's in road construction, Julius berger wan finish the place with roads 

No other Governor comes close when it comes to doing nothing to stop the slaughter of innocent kids all in the name of 'witchcraft'
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by MMM2(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2011
good
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by otokx(m): 8:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
@Ricky Ross

We have moved from the past and are now in the present. I repeat - let AMAECHI give us roads. We are tired of all this propaganda; AMAECHI give us roads and quality ones at that. The choba - rumokwuta road that has been done in some places; those places already have gaping pot holes. AMAECHI has done well in his medical care - yes for pregnant women, the old and infants but please we need good roads.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by ezeagu(m): 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2011
Port Harcourt roads, apart from the airport road and the alternate route are okay. The government of rivers should act on bad roads and not just wait for construction companies/contractors to fix them. The issue of roads aren't really relevant to this good development though.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by faoni572(m): 10:26am On Oct 17, 2011
Amaechi, thank you very much for the free medicare you are giving us, we really appreciate it. Now the next thing is to start work on roads.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by wakes: 11:55am On Oct 17, 2011
Health is wealth. Let other governors emulate what Amaechi is doing.
Re: Rivers State Declares Free Medicare For Residents! by 9ja4eva: 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2011
News like this make me happy.

Lovely

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Little Of Governor Fashola Achievement Within 5 Years / Breaking News: 5 Pdp Govs Set To Join Apc – Baraje / Photo: General Danbazau Will Definitely Be D Next National Security Adviser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.