Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,133,792 members, 7,745,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 February 2024 at 08:51 PM

Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place (18874 Views)

Beautiful Bride Shoots A Gun At Her Traditional Wedding Ceremony (pics/video) / Funerals Have Taken A New Dimension In The East / Drama As Bride's Father Cancels Wedding On D-day In Ibadan (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Osanoghodua1: 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2023
The issue is that: Church at this point cannot annul the marriage except the lady was pregnant for someone else or one of them had been married before but choosed to conceal it. God recognizes the authority of the parents and they have power to give out their daughters in marriage. The church can just pray for them and uproot wrong foundation and bless them in the name of Jesus. Joining them in the name of Jesus is more of ceremony and not cultural but has potency.

1 Like

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Angrymode: 1:32pm On Sep 15, 2023
Mrs Akpabio is ignorant on this one. They are already man and wife as correctly pointed out by the father. Is Mrs Akpabio saying any marriage not done in JESUS name is not binding?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TheEnforcer: 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2023
tonykel1:
Marriage happens when a dowry is paid and received. Other things are cosmetics
I think that's true.And when the parents agree to it
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Fiscus105(m): 1:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
Sageez:

I am sorry I disagree with you. The man is not a fool, infact, he is right. I am a Christian. The church doesn't have the right to pronounce them man and wife, what they do is marriage blessing.

The person who has the right to do so is the bride's father. He is the one to hand over his daughter to the man and pronounce them man and wife I.e after he must have completed the traditional rights. Please be careful how you use the word 'fool'

Thanks

Oga, who is right to pronounce them husband and wife?

NB. For u to be christian doesn't make u knowledgeable enough to know right from left ooo
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TheEnforcer: 1:36pm On Sep 15, 2023
kingphilip:
Marriage for me takes place when the bride price is paid and the traditional rights have been carried out by the groom.

The bride's father was right.
Correct
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by integrity16(m): 1:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
The bride's father is right.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by boborosky(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
Dancebreaker:

This is where our leaders have failed woefully. Ideally, the local Oba/Igwe/Emir/duke's palace recognised by the Local Govt and Chieftaincy affairs Ministry of bride's paternal homestead/place of marriage should play a big role. A palace official approved by the ministry ought to witness traditional marriages and issue a recognised/valid Customary Marriage Certificate. This can then be forward to govt marriage registry.

So that one can decades later obtain a copy from marriage registry, say kids or grandkids, in the future.

We don't seem to be truly proud of our African heritage or take it to the next level. Eating oha or Ewedu soup, or wearing agbada or Ishiagwu is not how to be African. Anyone can eat any food or wear any clothes but not promote that culture.

But by looking at a core part of culture and make it modern to endure into the future. Traditional marriage/bride price is part of it.

Very true...It couldn't have been said any better.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Fiscus105(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Nope. This is the problem, Always talk of money. I mean our traditional palaces as custodians of our culture (marriage/bride price are part of it)
Should be enough to witness it. So long they have synchronised with modern realities of govt. Simple.

Why would palace be the one to validate marriage? Is palace not under govt.

Do u people even remember, marriage may still bring problem and wen problem arises, u re bringing it to govt?

How will govt solve it, if they are not witnessed it from very beginning.

..... meanwhile, for palace to witness ur Marriage, nobody stop you ok. You are at liberty to invite whoever you want , be it palace or even ifa priest.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TheEnforcer: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2023
Angelfrost:
Biblically, it is the parents of the bride that declare them man and wife when they give their blessings to the couple in the presence of witnesses...!

That's what gives Traditional Weddings actual precedence over the borrowed culture of Church weddings (if we can call blessing of a marriage the same as a wedding).

...And yes, what the church does is bless a Marriage that has already started the moment both families agreed, and Bride Price received.
Thats right, you aren't in Nigeria?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by johbara: 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2023
The church or a priest have no authority to pronounce a couple as husband and wife. The moment the groom satisfied the father's requirements he gave his consent for the marriage to take place. His blessings supersedes even that of a Pope/ archbishop. Know this and know peace.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by kazyhm(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2023
Angelfrost:

Please, don't get it twisted... There is no Biblical foundation for what you call Church Wedding.

Honestly, it is largely a Colonial thing. Every nation and every culture should have its own pattern of traditional wedding couples.

The role of the Church is strictly to bless or pray for the Marriage... Haven't you wondered why it is rightly termed, in wedding invitations, Solemnization of Holy Matrimony??!

By the time the couple gets to church, they should already be Husband and Wife either via traditional or court pronouncement.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by President2001(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2023
So far they have full filled traditional right they have been joinned together church service is white man tradition which is not part of us
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by godofuck231: 1:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
Give that of Caesar to Caesar and that of christ to christ , whats he concern of the pastor with the rights of Caesar, if the family refuses consent no wedding can hold in any religious setting , the pastor should be beaten with a stick
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by kabillionaire(m): 1:51pm On Sep 15, 2023
The father was right 100%
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Angelfrost(m): 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2023
TheEnforcer:
Thats right, you aren't in Nigeria?

I'm very much in Nigeria.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Emusan(m): 1:57pm On Sep 15, 2023
Dreambeat:
Church wedding is the traditional marriage of the white man

But you can't be given certificate for traditional wedding which means Gov is the one that can pronounce man and woman as husband and wife by given you cert.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Emusan(m): 1:57pm On Sep 15, 2023
kabillionaire:
The father was right 100%

Did the father issue them certificate for being husband and wife?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
As a Christian, a bride is officially yours to wife after paying the bride price to the parents and there is an agreement with both of you and the respective families. Wedding or not isn't compulsory (traditional or White). That's the biblical instructions. Thanks

Someone pls help me with any amount for foodstuffs please. I'm Soo hungry and no sales coming cos of the bad economy cry

07 25 00 93 40 access bank. God bless

I deal on asoebi of different kinds please contact me make ur boy see food chop abeg. cry
09 02 58 7 89 07

I started this business on loans pls cry
No sir.

A marriage becomes official after the LAST marriage rite has been performed. I it is as simple as that
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:10pm On Sep 15, 2023
Iseoluwani:
grin

Actually after the traditional/ engagement, they are married.

church is just a formality
No sir.

If traditional wedding is their last marriage rites, yes!
If the marriage rites include a church wedding, I then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Matrix137(m): 2:12pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

No sir.

A marriage becomes official after the LAST marriage rite has been performed. I it is as simple as that
It's not just about saying it. Can you kindly show me a bible verse validating your stance?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by ceejay80s(m): 2:16pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
As a Christian, a bride is officially yours to wife after paying the bride price to the parents and there is an agreement with both of you and the respective families. Wedding or not isn't compulsory (traditional or White). That's the biblical instructions. Thanks
King Solomon is Ur ancestor, U wise

cry
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Omoawoke2(m): 2:29pm On Sep 15, 2023
Church wedding is still colonialism.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Stephench: 2:33pm On Sep 15, 2023
SIGE:
It's interesting how we sometimes overlook the sacred aspect of marriage, considering it as Holy Matrimony. There seems to be a trend where the sanctity is being questioned, and efforts are being made to secularize it, allowing almost anyone to officiate weddings. In the Western world, I've noticed instances where same-sex couples officiate weddings, and this concept is being promoted to us. In my view, a father's involvement in a wedding, particularly when making declarations, may not necessarily contribute to the sanctity of the occasion; it could be seen as more of a personal desire or ego-driven action.
be coherent
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:34pm On Sep 15, 2023
FashionCookie:
Well, to each his own...bcus I'm yet to understand why people are bent on Church weddings. Pastors go continue to show una shege. undecided
You don do your normal traditional marriage and probably registry...u no go rest?
You still have to borrow from the whites undecided

God bless u. All na for show. Unfortunately, most ladies are not content with home or traditional wedding. They feel their wedding isn't complete unless they wear wedding gown. Just to make them happy, everyone tries to play along
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

No sir.

If the marriage rites include a church wedding, I then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite

How did u come by this?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by prophetfire: 2:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
atiku4President:
At holy sacrament or in a village meeting?
Biblically, the man was right. No pastor has any business joining couple together in marriage. It's a family affair and the prerogative of the parents.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fiscus105:

Oga, who is right to pronounce them husband and wife?

NB. For u to be christian doesn't make u knowledgeable enough to right from left ooo

Read his post again. He clearly answered your question
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:39pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
It's not just about saying it. Can you kindly show me a bible verse validating your stance?

What is a marriage/wedding rite?

Can a person legally be said to have officially married his wife when the wedding rites are yet to be concluded?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Fiscus105(m): 2:39pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

Read his post again. He clearly answered your question

I will advise you to read and this time read to understand, purge urself from sentiment.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:40pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

How did u come by this?
Just as yourself a basic question

Is a couple officially married while they haven't concluded the last marriage rite?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

Just as yourself a basic question

Is a couple officially married while they haven't concluded the last marriage rite?

That's not what I asked you.

How did u come by this?

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2023
prophetfire:
Biblically, the man was right. No pastor has any business joining couple together in marriage. It's a family affair and the prerogative of the parents.
So,
when they have concluded their marriage rites, what were they doing before the priest?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

As October 1st Approaches, How Will You Celebrate This Great Country? / Best Birthday Ever. Celebrated In An Orphanage / Seun Osewa Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.