Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,133,203 members, 7,742,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 February 2024 at 10:48 PM

My Fight With My Landlord - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Fight With My Landlord (22290 Views)

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Puss360(f): 2:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
praise010:

I am sure you are not a Lawyer. Please stop advising on what you don't know about.

The Length of Notice a Tenant is entitled to is dependent on the Terms of the Tenancy Agreement but where the Tenancy Agreement doesn't provide for the Length of Notice, then the Law provides for 6 Months Notice (in the Ops case).

Note that the Quite Notice can be issued when the Tenancy is still running and even if it is issued after the tenancy have expired, it is not free and the Landlord can still recover it if he wishes.

What are you saying? The law provided for 6 months quit notice from landlord to lawyer.. why then should an agreement be shorter than the stipulated 6 month?
Even if such agreement is made, if taken to court, it will be null and void...
Now if quit notice is given while tenancy is still running, then the landlord will balance the tenant the remaining money while "Quit notice runs"...
You wey be lawyer stop confusing yourself...
And rest....
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Kobicove(m): 2:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

I know I made a mistake by spoiling the machine, it was just because of anger, but I'm sure the landlord's threat was an empty one but my mum and sis are just scared, the man can't afford to lose 6 months rent, that's over 700k

So you knew all these yet you went to start a fight you knew you would not win? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by OBTOREPA(m): 2:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
Just make peace with him and move on
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by kunle75(m): 2:44pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I have been having some issues in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

My landlord increased the pressure point of our water in the compound and now water gas been leaking, pipes got burst in the wall and water has been coming out from walls and pop, I started complaining last month but they didn't do anything about it, it got to a point when the water was too much in my room, I wanted to get my landlords attention so I had to spoil our pumping machine and I brought out all the dirts in our dustbin, I acknowledge my mistakes but it was out of anger.

My landlord confronts me and we got into an argument and we insulted each other, I know i was wrong but if I didn't spoil that pumping machine, the landlord wouldn't have called plumber to repair the issues I was having in my room, I even discovered that i wasn't the only one experiencing such thing, my neighbors too were also having that same issues.

According to my landlord, he said he's not the one collecting money from us, we paid money to agent and if we have any issues we should contact the agent, this particular agent is his elder brother but this my landlord is living in our compound with us, though he has numerous houses.

Now my landlord said he doesn't want to see me again in his compound and has threatened my mum with quit notice, he said it's either I leave the house or my family would leave , he instructed the gateman not to open gate for me again or else he'll sack him. My fellow nairalanders I really need your help, how will I go about this?

Modified; The landlord threatened to call police if he ever sees me in his compound, he said he'll win me in court and it's malicious damage to his property, mind you, there's no evidence that I committed the offence, our gateman was the only eye witness.

First of all you just snitches on yourself so evidence is abound. You don't have any right to damage someone property and he's right to have directed you to the agent, though depending on the initial agreement between you both.
Nevertheless, you have beaten more than you chew,now you're homeless.
Sorry is your name,go and seek landlord association for help not Nairaland.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by tellie(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer
You really messed up bro, you shouldn't have allowed your anger to lead you to destroying property. But like someone rightly said the landlord acted out of anger as well which you can do worse if you are in his shoes. meanwhile like someone said let your mom keep begging him on your behalf with time he will agree and you have to show to the man that you are remorseful and he should please forgive you. Next time ensure you engage the agent and tell him your greviances he will be in best position to handle the matter.
:
I have been having some
in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

My landlord increased the pressure point of our water in the compound and now water gas been leaking, pipes got burst in the wall and water has been coming out from walls and pop, I started complaining last month but they didn't do anything about it, it got to a point when the water was too much in my room, I wanted to get my landlords attention so I had to spoil our pumping machine and I brought out all the dirts in our dustbin, I acknowledge my mistakes but it was out of anger.

My landlord confronts me and we got into an argument and we insulted each other, I know i was wrong but if I didn't spoil that pumping machine, the landlord wouldn't have called plumber to repair the issues I was having in my room, I even discovered that i wasn't the only one experiencing such thing, my neighbors too were also having that same issues.

According to my landlord, he said he's not the one collecting money from us, we paid money to agent and if we have any issues we should contact the agent, this particular agent is his elder brother but this my landlord is living in our compound with us, though he has numerous houses.

Now my landlord said he doesn't want to see me again in his compound and has threatened my mum with quit notice, he said it's either I leave the house or my family would leave , he instructed the gateman not to open gate for me again or else he'll sack him. My fellow nairalanders I really need your help, how will I go about this?

Modified; The landlord threatened to call police if he ever sees me in his compound, he said he'll win me in court and it's malicious damage to his property, mind you, there's no evidence that I committed the offence, our gateman was the only eye witness.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Kobicove(m): 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:

That's why I said Lagos law... under tenancy law, a tenant is entitled to 6 months quit notice.. rent free!!! That's if the tenant pays rent yearly o... if the tenant dey pay rent every 2 yrs, then him quit notice na 1yr...

Come and spent 6 months in my house without paying rent let me see!

You will tell me whether it was the government that built the house for me! angry

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Bluearrow: 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
seanwilliam:
Your landlord is very lenient. You damaged my property out of anger, yet you don’t feel remorse? …
Honestly, he is not even remorseful from his writeup. I'm very sure he is still very young, yet to experience life. I see no reason for any sane person to think damaging someone's property is the best way to resolve issue in this bad economy. The op is a spoilt child. I only feel sorry for the mom.

2 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by VEHINTOLAR: 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

I know I made a mistake by spoiling the machine, it was just because of anger, but I'm sure the landlord's threat was an empty one but my mum and sis are just scared, the man can't afford to lose 6 months rent, that's over 700k

Is it your ego that is stopping from going to beg him or what ? If your landlord is a Yoruba man,he won't take that disrespect from you and that makes your situation a bit difficult.

Contact the elders in your community to beg your landlord on your behalf and you also must be ready to show a genuine sign of remorse. He will forgive you only if you're ready to show that you made a mistake and that you're genuinely sorry. Go and "dobale" for am !

Forget about law or no law,your landlord can make life very,very miserable for you and your family members in that house if he so wishes. If you try that nosense you did with some people here in Lagos,trust me,it may be your last attempt at such ! You honestly need to be very careful.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Untube: 2:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I have been having some issues in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

In whatsoever you do, don't stay in the same compound with your landlord. E get why.

First he did not have right to tell you to stay away from the said property until when you rent has expired or he refund.

The gateman did not have any right to lock you outside. Report to the nearest police station, the worst is that they will instruct you to repair the damaged properties. But he can't lock you out. There are procedures for all these not locking you out

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Akerele44(m): 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
Bro no lie
U be igbo tribe abi and the landlord na yoruba

E get wetin i wan point out
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by OlujobaSamuel: 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
praise010:

The OP is a Tenant and the Landlord cannot validly restrict his movement into the property.

Meanwhile, I agree with you on the need to make peace with the Landlord.
I expect that he should be a tenant as a dependant of his mum, but it appears as if he is not from his narrative.
Probably he never moved in with the mum when the apartment was rented, he is seen as an adult, he has not been living consistently in the premises (maybe he travels and come around once in a while), so he might not be seen as a member of the family by those around, including the landlord.
If they have been living together for the past 3yrs consistently, I wonder where the landlord want him to go to

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Kajaard: 2:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
Go and beg the landlord. You were very wrong to destroy the pumping machine.

Violence never solves anything in this life we live in. We should learn to take a step back when in anger so we don’t do silly things.

God forbid, what if he called thugs on you and you were beaten to death or something else?

Go and settle issues with him, remove pride. Or you pack out of the house. It’s that simple.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by femijamz: 2:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
You deserve to be evicted in that house. U be animal not a human
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by udemzyudex(m): 2:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:
You spoil my water pump come dey insult me join.

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Make nobody beg me for here oh...

You're a very wicked landlord, so you turn a blind eyes to what is bothering others because it benefits you, you push the other person to do his worse and now because you own the house you think you're God?

Lol.. Very funny, if na me i go dey the house and wait for the quit notice.
Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by NoToPile: 2:52pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:

That's why I said Lagos law... under tenancy law, a tenant is entitled to 6 months quit notice.. rent free!!! That's if the tenant pays rent yearly o... if the tenant dey pay rent every 2 yrs, then him quit notice na 1yr...

Rent free? Wrong
Not the Lagos tenancy law.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Ibejumatters: 2:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:
Two wrongs don't make a right...
You shouldn't have damaged the pumping machine...
No matter what, always involve the services of the Police...
As regard your banning from entering the house, your landlord has no right to restrict your movement..
Infact he has no right chase u out of the house..
If you are in lagos, you are entitled to "Six(6) months quit notice" after your rent expires or he refund your remaining rent and still give you the quit notice...
Or you carry police arrest am..
Quack lawyer
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by LagBlogger(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

Lose 6 months rent? Won't a new tenant pay the said amount? Why would he be scared?
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by FireUpNow(m): 2:56pm On Sep 21, 2023
Fighting your landlord in Lagos is like fighting with your government. Landlords are so powerful.bqb just go and make peace with your landlord.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by abba190: 2:56pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

make peace with him
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by LagBlogger(m): 2:57pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:

Yore talking nonsense. If you're sure you are right move into a property managed by a mean lawyer, you will know why ignorance is no excuse in law.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Dedan112(m): 2:58pm On Sep 21, 2023
Wisdom most be applied in every step you take. After the damage has been done, but the is a way out, since you really like the compound.
Why not meet a very close friend of the landlord, and talk to him to help you or better still an elder from your tribe, and also talk to senior, responsible, and respected tenant in the compound to help plead for you..
But pray too oh and finally remember when next you meet your landlord even if it means to lye down flat on the floor and beg him, just be humble and ready to do it...

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by gigabyte13: 2:59pm On Sep 21, 2023
There was no evidence you committed the offence but you carry your mouth talk say
"OUR GATEMAN IS THE ONLY EYE WITNESS"
Me no Sabi, how person go dey drag house with the una........
If person house tire you, pack comot na, which be say
Make you dey behave like "CO_OWNER".
I NO UNDERSTAND

4 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Cjayboy: 2:59pm On Sep 21, 2023
Make sure your landlord is not reading this your confession or any of his relatives that's a nairalander.

Them go do you so tee, you run comot from house even when rent never expire..

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by LagBlogger(m): 3:00pm On Sep 21, 2023
udemzyudex:

You're a very wicked landlord, so you turn a blind eyes to what is bothering others because it benefits you, you push the other person to do his worse and now because you own the house you think you're God?

Lol.. Very funny, if na me i go dey the house and wait for the quit notice.
Rubbish.

I pray say you jam me, spoil my pumping machine, I will forget quit notice and have you arraigned for criminal mischief and vandalism, let us see if you won't beg for quit notice.

2 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 3:00pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

So, the gateman who witnessed what you did is not an evidence?
Go to him, acknowledge your mistake and wrong doing, beg for forgiveness and possibly pay him back some amount of money to cover the damage you did to his pumping machine. Simple.
Or, remain stubborn until he throws you and your mum and your sister out. Remember that the quit notice he served your mum will have already been six months by the time your current rent lapses. No court will give you extra period to stay. Be wise

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by vislabraye(m): 3:02pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is [b]the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard [/b]and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

So you know the house is good for that price and you went ahead to fight him? I thought it was in a pathetic condition. Well, you have to swallow your pride and beg him.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:
Two wrongs don't make a right...
You shouldn't have damaged the pumping machine...
No matter what, always involve the services of the Police...
As regard your banning from entering the house, your landlord has no right to restrict your movement..
Infact he has no right chase u out of the house..

He's not the one who paid the rent. I don't think so.

If you are in lagos, you are entitled to "Six(6) months quit notice" after your rent expires

If the quit notice is served before their rent expires, they won't entitle to any extra six months after their rent might have expired.

or he refund your remaining rent and still give you the quit notice...
Or you carry police arrest am..
Even if he refund them, they will pay for the months they are going to spend in the house during their quit notice period. Quit notice doesn't mean free accommodation. grin grin grin
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by phemmyfour: 3:08pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

Go n get another house, you guys can never be on the same page again
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

So, you erroneously believed that you won't pay for the six months you're entitled to? Lol
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Melanyn(m): 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2023
I know una type, I also have a tenant like u that think dey own ur house.
Hmmm Naija... Tenants and one kind mumu entitlement

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by toltee4real: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2023
Chai, this one sweet me Wella.

In a real sense, how can you insult an elderly Man and your Landlord!
You are lucky day no be Ikwerre Man for PHC, by now you for they hospital in very serious condition, com give your Mama list of items to pay as fine....

Wey your Papa self? O leko o.

Way forward....
Go and search for your Landlord Clegymen wether for his Church or his Mosque to join with your Mumsy and your own Clegymen to go and apologize on your behalf.... otherwise go and rent your own house and remember to behave well o

gaby:
You spoil my water pump come dey insult me join.

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Make nobody beg me for here oh...

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by darexolu16(m): 3:13pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

u no try sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASEMA Reacts To Gas Explosion In Lagos (Videos) / "Lost My Properties In The First Rain Of The Year" - Nigerian Man Cries Out / Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.