Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,133,203 members, 7,742,830 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 February 2024 at 10:40 PM

My Fight With My Landlord - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Fight With My Landlord (22289 Views)

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Father4all: 3:14pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I have been having some issues in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

My landlord increased the pressure point of our water in the compound and now water gas been leaking, pipes got burst in the wall and water has been coming out from walls and pop, I started complaining last month but they didn't do anything about it, it got to a point when the water was too much in my room, I wanted to get my landlords attention so I had to spoil our pumping machine and I brought out all the dirts in our dustbin, I acknowledge my mistakes but it was out of anger.

My landlord confronts me and we got into an argument and we insulted each other, I know i was wrong but if I didn't spoil that pumping machine, the landlord wouldn't have called plumber to repair the issues I was having in my room, I even discovered that i wasn't the only one experiencing such thing, my neighbors too were also having that same issues.

According to my landlord, he said he's not the one collecting money from us, we paid money to agent and if we have any issues we should contact the agent, this particular agent is his elder brother but this my landlord is living in our compound with us, though he has numerous houses.

Now my landlord said he doesn't want to see me again in his compound and has threatened my mum with quit notice, he said it's either I leave the house or my family would leave , he instructed the gateman not to open gate for me again or else he'll sack him. My fellow nairalanders I really need your help, how will I go about this?

Modified; The landlord threatened to call police if he ever sees me in his compound, he said he'll win me in court and it's malicious damage to his property, mind you, there's no evidence that I committed the offence, our gateman was the only eye witness.
your landlord don't have such right to say he doesn't want to see you in his compound
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 3:15pm On Sep 21, 2023
praise010:

I am sure you are not a Lawyer. Please stop advising on what you don't know about.

The Length of Notice a Tenant is entitled to is dependent on the Terms of the Tenancy Agreement but where the Tenancy Agreement doesn't provide for the Length of Notice, then the Law provides for 6 Months Notice (in the Ops case).

Note that the Quite Notice can be issued when the Tenancy is still running and even if it is issued after the tenancy have expired, it is not free and the Landlord can still recover it if he wishes.

You're correct.

Puss360:

What are you saying? The law provided for 6 months quit notice from landlord to lawyer.. why then should an agreement be shorter than the stipulated 6 month?
Even if such agreement is made, if taken to court, it will be null and void...
Now if quit notice is given while tenancy is still running, then the landlord will balance the tenant the remaining money while "Quit notice runs"...
You wey be lawyer stop confusing yourself...
And rest....
I hope you know that you can't live free of charge in the house while "quit notice runs".

Both of you are basically correct. If you are paying on a yearly basis, I think you are entitled to six months notice.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Father4all: 3:16pm On Sep 21, 2023
Omihanifa:
Guy just settle with him and move on with your life. Nothing dey this life no undecided See mohbad now he don go. Life is too short to be fighting unnecessary battles. Just settle with him.
Oga, nevertheless the landlord don't have such right to chase him from the house
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Jd10k(m): 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

I know I made a mistake by spoiling the machine, it was just because of anger, but I'm sure the landlord's threat was an empty one but my mum and sis are just scared, the man can't afford to lose 6 months rent, that's over 700k
Oga just find a way to apologise to your landlord because there is no law that grant you rent free in any circumstances except your Landlord want to let it go.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Obagreatdatoye(m): 3:18pm On Sep 21, 2023
Check and verify...you will get to know the guy is a igbo man
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by udemzyudex(m): 3:20pm On Sep 21, 2023
LagBlogger:

I pray say you jam me, spoil my pumping machine, I will forget quit notice and have you arraigned for criminal mischief and vandalism, let us see if you won't beg for quit notice.

Story for the gods, keep bluffing.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by kiddkash(m): 3:20pm On Sep 21, 2023
AwokenVawulence:
U shouldn't have damage the pumping machine undecided, just settle it with him i believe he is older so just beg him and say it was anger
This is poor from someone called awokenvawulence.
I expected pure and applied vawulence like pour salt inside the engine of his car

You disappoint me
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by niceface(m): 3:22pm On Sep 21, 2023
Your mum has to really plead and apologize to the landlord. You should also write a letter of undertaking to be of good conduct because the landlord is now seeing you as a threat to the peace of the residents.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Dedan112(m): 3:22pm On Sep 21, 2023
Dedan112:
Wisdom most be applied in every step you take. After the damage has been done, but the is a way out, since you really like the compound.
Why not meet a very close friend of the landlord, and talk to him to help you or better still an elder from your tribe, and also talk to senior, responsible, and respected tenant in the compound to help plead for you..
But pray too oh and finally remember when next you meet your landlord even if it means to lye down flat on the floor and beg him, just be humble and ready to do it...

Try this!!!
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by sukkot: 3:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
BeigJawnson:

You pay 1.4m annually? With all the money you have been paying will get you a land and get it to building... Chai...!
come on mayne na different levels of existence Dey. Maintain your lane. Some pay rent 100k, some is 500k, some is 1 million, some is 4 million, the ikoyi ones is 8 million a year, the Victoria island ones is 10 million a year, the banana island ones is 20 million a year . Levels Dey to this life
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Obiorahpcfg: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2023
A sign to know it's time to try your destiny in a different location. Leave dt environment and u will thank me later.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by emerged01(m): 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Tenants should learn how to carry out little repairs without calling the attention of the landlord. You must be a bad tenant to have damaged his properties. You really went of line.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by sukkot: 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
OP you are everything that is bad and rotten about Nigerians. That animalistic violent tendency. I mean you deserve everything that is happening to you only if it can make you a more civilized human being
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by nansng: 3:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
You no try at all. Bury the thought that you will spend six months without pay for whatever reason, that’s not the position of the law. Now listen, go to the nearest police station, explain your predicament, let them see clearly that you are remorseful, tell them that all you want to do is to beg the landlord passionately. You tell the police that you just want them to invite him and not arrest him. When the landlord comes you should start prostrating to him from the gate of the police station. Every police stations has a section that deals with “mediation”, I believe they can help you out. But learn courtesy next time.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by BennyDGreat: 3:31pm On Sep 21, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Some people actually think the rent notice is free, one case happened for my area, the landlord na weyrey, he continued with the court case to get the rent for that period even after he left, thinking the landlord no go sabi his new apartment. Na one sunny afternoon police and court bailiff come pack his load to auction so as to settle the landlord

Lol
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by scoobyblogspot(m): 3:32pm On Sep 21, 2023
Well.. anger is strong, it can bring down a house. Apologize to your landlord. He will accept with time and give you your own respect. Shikena
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Solofresh2: 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
sukkot:
OP you are everything that is bad and rotten about Nigerians. That animalistic violent tendency. I mean you deserve everything that is happening to you only if it can make you a more civilized human being
Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by praise010(m): 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:

What are you saying? The law provided for 6 months quit notice from landlord to lawyer.. why then should an agreement be shorter than the stipulated 6 month?
Even if such agreement is made, if taken to court, it will be null and void...
Now if quit notice is given while tenancy is still running, then the landlord will balance the tenant the remaining money while "Quit notice runs"...
You wey be lawyer stop confusing yourself...
And rest....

Please stop sharing wrong information on public forum and stop delving into a field you know nothing about. Regards
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:41pm On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:
You spoil my water pump come dey insult me join.

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Make nobody beg me for here oh...

Not when you meet your match, bros

This you has been suffering the consequences of that leaking pipes alone in his flat, with the landlord turning a deaf ear to all his pleas.
The landlord only came out because the spoilt pumping machine has personally affected him.
That's selfishness, if not wickedness
He or you won't find it easy with someone like me, honestly. Who you

I won't have any problem with you following the legal procedures of giving quit notice, but you can't stop me from living in or entering the compound until you perfect the quit notice.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by BennyDGreat: 3:43pm On Sep 21, 2023
sukkot:
come on mayne na different levels of existence Dey. Maintain your lane. Some pay rent 100k, some is 500k, some is 1 million, some is 4 million, the ikoyi ones is 8 million a year, the Victoria island ones is 10 million a year, the banana island ones is 20 million a year . Levels Dey to this life

Paying 20m rent for residential purpose in Nigeria is pure waste of resources, unless it's your organisation that's paying for it.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Kobicove(m): 3:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Some people actually think the rent notice is free, one case happened for my area, the landlord na weyrey, he continued with the court case to get the rent for that period even after he left, thinking the landlord no go sabi his new apartment. Na one sunny afternoon police and court bailiff come pack his load to auction so as to settle the landlord

Serves the idiot right angry
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:
You spoil my water pump come dey insult me join.

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Make nobody beg me for here oh...

If you are truly the landlord, I guess you failed in your own part to listen to his pleas and repair the damping issue on the walls and POP.

At the same time, he has done a wrong thing by spoiling the pumping machine which by all standards was caused by your adamant attitude towards the above issue....

In all honesty, try to play an elderly man here than resorting to the same anger that caused the previous damage because definitely nobody knows tommorow or the heart of a man...

Just take all hole spoilt for him to fix them back and also forgive him once he is willing to ask for forgiveness....

Pls leave the innocent mother alone as well, she shared in the distress you caused while keeping a deaf ear to their problems in your house ...
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by ItisWell22(f): 3:52pm On Sep 21, 2023
Crazy part is, such individuals will most likely themselves, make terrible landlords.

NoToPile:
Loool, he's even nice to tell you alone to leave and didn't get you arrested immediately for damage to property and immediate refund for a new pump.

Some tenants will just frustrate you ehn. You spoilt a whole pumping machine, even insulted him on top of it.

He will get you arrested for damage to property if you show up.

Category of tenants from hell, just imagine what a landlord had to deal with.

Nonsense.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by sukkot: 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Paying 20m rent for residential purpose in Nigeria is pure waste of resources, unless it's your organisation that's paying for it.
hehe bro, as I stated earlier it’s different levels of existence . How much is 20 million Naira per year ? That’s only 20 thousand dollars a year . These digital nomadic guys who code for blue chip companies paying them 300 thousand dollars a year all live in 20 million Naira per year rent mansions in banana island. That’s only 20k dollars out of their 300k dollars salary used for rent. Like I always say ITS DIFFERENT LEVELS OF EXISTENCE
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by BennyDGreat: 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2023
sukkot:
hehe bro, as I stated earlier it’s different levels of existence . How much is 20 million Naira per year ? That’s only 20 thousand dollars a year . These digital nomadic guys who code for blue chip companies paying them 300 thousand dollars a year all live in 20 million Naira per year rent mansions in banana island. That’s only 20k dollars out of their 300k dollars salary used for rent. Like I always say ITS DIFFERENT LEVELS OF EXISTENCE

Earning huge sums doesn't equate sound financial decisions/ management. Why do you think many folks are going into real estate? Even people that don't yet earn 300k USD a year...
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 4:06pm On Sep 21, 2023
Father4all:
Oga, nevertheless the landlord don't have such right to chase him from the house
Landlord has given him options to choose from:
Leave the compound and I won't serve quit notice to the rest of your family. Or,
Remain in my compound and I will legally evict you and the rest of your family. The choice is his. grin grin grin
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by justified007: 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2023
Puss360:

That's why I said Lagos law... under tenancy law, a tenant is entitled to 6 months quit notice.. rent free!!! That's if the tenant pays rent yearly o... if the tenant dey pay rent every 2 yrs, then him quit notice na 1yr...

6 months quit notice yes but it's not rent free . The law was made during fashola regime and it's never rent free.

You go pay throughout your state oga
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Nursepepeye(f): 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I'm not even in the house, I left 2 days ago, my mum said she begged but he didn't agree, he said it's either I leave or quit notice and my people can't accept quit notice, the man sef no want make I enter compound and our compound is those type of compound that you can't enter without gateman opening it for you
go and meet him yourself and beg him, not for anything, just for you to stay focus for other things
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by sukkot: 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Earning huge sums doesn't equate sound financial decisions/ management. Why do you think many folks are going into real estate? Even people that don't yet earn 300k USD a year...
brother real estate is analog in a digital world. Some people just like to be free to move around the world without ties to brick and mortar. After their one year lease is up in banana island they move to Thailand and pay another one year rent and live in Thailand . Many young cosmopolitan Nigerians are starting to live like this
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Not when you meet your match, bros

This you has been suffering the consequences of that leaking pipes alone in his flat, with the landlord turning a deaf ear to all his pleas.
The landlord only came out because the spoilt pumping machine has personally affected him.
That's selfishness, if not wickedness
He or you won't find it easy with someone like me, honestly. Who you

I won't have any problem with you following the legal procedures of giving quit notice, but you can't stop me from living in or entering the compound until you perfect the quit notice.

You don't seem to understand the situation of Op. His family really like the building, they're not ready to pack out and that changes everything. Op has to ask for forgiveness and drop repair cost.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by mozona(m): 4:13pm On Sep 21, 2023
this is a case of you knack landlord wife or landlord knack your wife.

you go still pack comot for him house.
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by maasoap(m): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2023
emerged01:
Tenants should learn how to carry out little repairs without calling the attention of the landlord. You must be a bad tenant to have damaged his properties. You really went of line.
My landlady will miss me when I pack out of her house next Dec 1st, God's willing.
From paying 200k debt on prepaid meter (two of us, the tenants but overseen by me) to contributing to the repair of pumping machine (only me) to inviting plumber for repairs many times to electricians on many occasions to doing this and that myself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASEMA Reacts To Gas Explosion In Lagos (Videos) / "Lost My Properties In The First Rain Of The Year" - Nigerian Man Cries Out / Policemen, Families Live In Danger Of Barracks’ Collapse (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.