Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? (866 Views)

Expectant Mum Suffers Womb Rupture In Police Cell (photos) / Please Help My Cousins Son Is SICKLE CELL. / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by jaytime(m): 1:34pm On Oct 19, 2011
This is one question that has always bothered me. I was born and bred in the village; through out my stay there up untill today, I have never seen or hear of any case of sickle cell among the villagers. Yet these are people who don't even know what is genotype not to talk of going for test before choosing a life partner.
But in the city, you see and hear of many cases of sickle cell anaemia, campaign on knowing your genetype and that of your would be spouse before getting married and stuffs like that. I'm sure many will agree with me on the above.
My question is, with the low level of awareness in the rural areas, how come we dont see as many cases of sickle cell in the rural areas as those in the urban centres.
Please I really need contributions on this.
Re: Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by werepeLeri: 1:38pm On Oct 19, 2011
Bros, the answer to your question is in your own comment. You stated.

"Yet these are people who don't even know what is genotype not to talk of going for test before choosing a life partner."

In other words, they dont know, so they dont go for test, they fall sick, and die, and life goes on.

Dont you think? That they dont know doesnt mean they dont have it.
Re: Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by jaytime(m): 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2011
werepeLeri:

In other words, they dont know, so they dont go for test, they fall sick, and die, and life goes on.

Dont you think? That they dont know doesnt mean they dont have it.
If they don't know about genotype, it doesnt mean they dont know that if their children fall sick they wont take them to hospital where the cause of sickness is always determine. In other words people dont just fall sick and die the way you claim. Of course villagers access health care when neccessary but I've never heard of sickle cell among them.
Re: Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by blank(f): 11:20am On Oct 21, 2011
Cos they called such children names like ogbanje and abiku.
Re: Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by dominique(f): 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^^ rofl grin

@poster
you pretty much said it in your post, there is low level of awareness in rural areas. the diseases are very real over there but they're too ignorant to realise it. there is always a superstitious belief behind every illness or death.
Re: Why Is Sickle Cell Only Perculiar To City Dwellers? by Sissy3(f): 4:32pm On Oct 22, 2011
low awareness + plus others names for it.if some body is sick with such, some ppl will probably see it as someone is after your life etc

(1) (Reply)

Hair Dandruff Treatment / Things That Can Affect A Man's Sperm / 10 Things That Will Prematurely Age You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.