Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:59 PM

What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? (5978 Views)

Atheist, Why Embracing Buddhism And Not African Philosophy And Spirituality? / Here Is Why Buddhism Is One Of The Best religions / Where In Nigeria Can One Find Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, And Such. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Amujale(m): 9:52am On Nov 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

Before budha died he said he was still looking for the way.

Can you kindly quote where you got that from.

@Pagan Do you believe in God? If you do, then you cannot be a pagan. The term is an abuse, tradition is not paganism, it is what it is TRADITION. Please dont get caught up in the cross-fire.

Its just like the terms keferi, gentile, non-believer e.t.c they are all allegorical terminologies

If your school of thought is traditionaly oriented then call it what it is Traditional Religion, Indigenous Religion, Culture e.t.c

Beleiving that you are a pagan is tantamount to believing that you are a gentile or keferi or somebody that has NO belief in anything or anyone.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by anonymous6(f): 1:25pm On Nov 07, 2011
I am surprised that there are some Nigerians in this forum that follow the Buddhist religion(the only Nigerian I ever heard follow the Buddhist teachings is Hollywood actor Adewale akkinouye-Agbaje from the show lost and in the movie the mummy & Bourne Identity); I thought it was more of a Asian thing. Any way all the power to them, I am a Christian but I don't discriminate I have friends who are of many religions(Muslim, Jew, Hinduism, Buddhist, and etc), mostly christian though.

interesting thread
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 07, 2011
anonymous6:

I am surprised that there are some Nigerians in this forum that follow the Buddhist religion(the only Nigerian I ever heard follow the Buddhist teachings is Hollywood actor Adewale akkinouye-Agbaje from the show lost and in the movie the mummy & Bourne Identity); I thought it was more of a Asian thing[b]. Any way all the power to them[/b], I am a Christian but I don't discriminate I have friends who are of many religions(Muslim, Jew, Hinduism, Buddhist, and etc), mostly christian though.

interesting thread

You are not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination , and I say this with emphasis.

Stop living in la la land  , while having friends in any religion is a good thing as we all do, making the heretical statement[b] ' all the power to them ' [/b]immediately disqualifies you as a follower of Christ.

Oh Lord , truly the apostasy is upon us , heretics abound in the church deceiving themselves and others and both heading for disaster.

"What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever?" - 2 Corinthians 6:15
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2011
Didn't Jesus' habit of placing his two palms together(position of prayer in christianity) influenced by buddhism/hinduism? These are the other two religions that i know where the adherents do this, and the two religions are vastly older than christianity.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2011
^^^^

Lol , sorry to say dear one , you aint gotta clue when it comes to the bible, and I mean it. grin grin grin

Now show me in the bible, where Jesus prayed in this fashion ?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:56pm On Nov 07, 2011
There is nowhere that is written that a pagan cannot believe in the GOD concept. Even the christian idea of GOD is thoroughly pagan.
Amujale:

@Pagan Do you believe in God? If you do, then you cannot be a pagan. The term is an abuse, tradition is not paganism, it is what it is TRADITION. Please dont get caught up in the cross-fire.

Its just like the terms keferi, gentile, non-believer e.t.c they are all allegorical terminologies

If your school of thought is traditionaly oriented then call it what it is Traditional Religion, Indigenous Religion, Culture e.t.c

Beleiving that you are a pagan is tantamount to believing that you are a gentile or keferi or somebody that has NO belief in anything or anyone.

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PastorAIO: 1:56pm On Nov 07, 2011
Amujale:

Buddhism is a philosophy encompassing a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices, largely based on teachings of  Siddhartha Gautama,.

Siddharta Gautama was an Indian spiritual teacher said to have lived between 6-4 BCE and taught philosophical concepts like Karma, Rebirth, saṃsāra, Yoga e.t.c

I'm sure the buddha was around long before then.  500- 600 BCE would be a more accurate estimate.

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:57pm On Nov 07, 2011
But you got a clue about that book, of course, big-frosbel. It clearly shows in your world view. wink
frosbel:

^^^^

Lol , sorry to say dear one , you aint gotta clue when it comes to the bible, and I mean it. grin grin grin

Now show me in the bible, where Jesus prayed in this fashion ?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2011
Jenwitemi:

But you got a clue about that book, of course, big-frosbel. It clearly shows in your world view. wink

Well what do you think, you made a quote without examining the facts , surely that is not a scientific way to approach things undecided
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2011
And just to remind some folks here, buddhists don't believe in a GOD, let alone worship one. The Buddha is not seen as a God to be worshiped but rather as a teacher who's deep spiritual teachings are to be followed to achieve the state enlightenment or nirvana. The state of self-realization at the most deepest level.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:07pm On Nov 07, 2011
First of all, i asked a question. Secondly, since when do religious fundamentalist bigots like you know what FACT is, let alone deal in them? Don't flatter yourself, big-frosbel, you won't recognize a fact even if it bit you in the face.
frosbel:

Well what do you think, you made a quote without examining the facts , surely that is not a scientific way to approach things undecided
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 07, 2011
Jenwitemi:

First of all, i asked a question. Secondly, since when do religious fundamentalist bigots like you know what FACT is, let alone deal in them? Don't flatter yourself, big-frosbel, you won't recognize a fact even if it bit you in the face.

You are a funny guy, in my profession facts are the key, I analyse tons of data weekly for the facts , assess the risks and costs and make very important  decisions.

My belief does not affect my ability to reason in a scientific manner and or work in the data communications profession.

Hence my ability to easily decipher fact from fiction when it comes to religious issues because I have formed a habit of performing proper analysis of the facts not fallacy like some of my Nairaland Pals   grin grin
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 3:00pm On Nov 07, 2011
Hahahahaha! Big-frosbel is a professional "fact analyzer"! Hohohoho!! cheesy grin A religious bigot who does not know his left from his right thinks he knows facts! Hahahaha! My belle o!
frosbel:

You are a funny guy, in my profession facts are the key, I analyse tons of data weekly for the facts , assess the risks and costs and make very important  decisions.

Yeah! But when it comes to the bible and your religious doctrines, then NEPA go take light out of your brain cells. Yes, i know. wink
frosbel:

My belief does not affect my ability to reason in a scientific manner and or work in the data communications profession.

Hence my ability to easily decipher fact from fiction when it comes to religious issues because I have formed a habit of performing proper analysis of the facts not fallacy like some of my Nairaland Pals   grin grin

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 3:50pm On Nov 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

So budhaism is worship of idols as well? It's good to know that. Now concerning what you wrote, it's only a backsliden Jew that went into idols. Not a prophet. Jesus was a prophet. And he came to restor the worship of God to the people.

Before budha died he said he was still looking for the way. But Jesus said he was the way.

John 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Correction: this corrupted version of the original. The romans redacted that part to fit with their new farbricated religion after  Jesus was  crowned god by imperial decree of  the Nicean creed.
The original version of this statement should read: "The Christ(Kristos,the god in man, the inner soul) is the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father, but by the Christ".

The message of Jesus was about giving power back to you by asking you look inwards for salvation.
Jesus and Buddha, by their teachings, seeks to give you completely sovereignty of your devine heritage:- your mind, your consciousness and your sou.
" The kingdom of God is within you".
This is the same message as the Buddha.

The romans and the christianity they imposed on the world sought to do the opposite by robbing you of your christhood(your devine heritage)  and asking you to seek it through intermediaries such as priests, church and Jesus and the worship of an imaginary man in the sky.

If you truely understand what Christ really means, then you'll come to the realization that the christian church represents the anti-christ(that which seperates you from your christ).
When you focus inwards and eventually come to a self-realization  and make a connection with your real self, it is then that you are truly Christ-end . But before that, you have to die a spiritual death and be resurrected or Born Again into a new spiritual life.

The story of Lazarus is a ritualistic or symbolic example of this process of spiritual death and resurrection. It was an initiation into a new spiritual life for Lazarus.Jesus went through the same initiation process in egypt.
We notice that in the bible that even Jesus's close disciples were envious of of not beeing part of this initiation.

Being born again was not about carrying bible, going to church and gullibly accepting the crap that other people feed you.Its about establishing a connection with your devine essence, the real you.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Jenwitemi(m): 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2011
Bless you! The TRUTH. The whole TRUTH. Nothing but the TRUTH. smiley
plaetton:

Correction: this corrupted version of the original. The romans redacted that part to fit with their new farbricated religion after Jesus was crowned god by imperial decree of the Nicean creed.
The original version of this statement should read: "The Christ(Kristos,the god in man, the inner soul) is the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father, but by the Christ".

The message of Jesus was about giving power back to you by asking you look inwards for salvation.
Jesus and Buddha, by their teachings, seeks to give you completely [b]sovereignty of your devine heritage
:- your mind, your consciousness and your sou.

The romans and the christianity they imposed on the world sought to do the opposite by robbing you of your christhood(your devine heritage) and asking you to seek it through intermediaries such as priests, church and Jesus and the worship of an imaginary man in the sky.

If you truely understand what Christ really means, then you'll come to the realization that the christian church represents the anti-christ(that which seperates you from your christ).
When you focus inwards and eventually come to a self-realization and make a connection with your real self, it is then that you are truly Christ-end . But before that, you have to die a spiritual death and be resurrected or Born Again into a new spiritual life.

The story of Lazarus is a ritualistic or symbolic example of this process of spiritual death and resurrection. It was an initiation into a new spiritual life for Lazarus.Jesus went through the same initiation process in egypt.
We notice that in the bible that even Jesus's close disciples were envious of of not beeing part of this initiation.

Being born again was not about carrying bible, going to church and gullibly accepting the crap that other people feed you.Its about establishing a connection with your devine essence, the real you.[/b]
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by plaetton: 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
Amujale:

I beg to disagree with you.You are totally wrong. when you ask pagan whther he believes in god, which god are you refering to?.

Peganism is the oldeest and perhaps purest religion. More than the judeo-christian religions, paganism understands the supremacy and show a deeper appreciation for creation and the creator.
All the organised religions borrowed much of their creeds, lore and rituals from peganism.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2011
^^

Still here dribbling yourself grin
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Revolva(m): 7:56pm On Nov 07, 2011
Being born again was not about carrying bible, going to church and gullibly accepting the crap that other people feed you.Its about establishing a connection with your devine essence, the real you.
TRULY SPEAKING @Plaetton you are indeed a genius, a correct analyst @Frosbel you are more then confused, Azealot who thinks he knows anything, brainwashed

Peganism is the oldeest and perhaps purest religion. More than the judeo-christian religions, paganism understands the supremacy and show a deeper appreciation for creation and the creator.
All the organised religions borrowed much of their creeds, lore and rituals from peganism.
TRUTH
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:33am On Nov 09, 2011
Amujale:

my friend, we Pagan peoples started the very concept of God. it is the monotheists who tarnished Gods image.

we Pagan people believe in the bealancing of the forces, something which them monotheists never really understood. we humans,animals, plants, elements and the universe around us represent the material side. therefore to balance it, there must be a spiritual side.

HOWEVER, YOU ARE RIGHT. i personally DESPISE the term Pagan since it was conferred upon us as an insult by them xtians but the reason i still use it because it is a stronger and more current term than Triaditional religional religion, in the sense that it unties us as a religious entity in a way. when we say Traditional Religion, people dont take us seriously and they think we are a bunch of cultural performers or masqueraders or just people who are promoting culture.

for the time being, we must make do with this word. when we gain the majority in the near future, we will use a new and different name to provide a collective term for traditional religions around the world.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Amujale(m): 9:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

personally DESPISE the term Pagan since it was conferred upon us as an insult by them xtians but the reason i still use it because it is a stronger and more current term than Traditional religion, in the sense that it unties us as a religious entity in a way. when we say Traditional Religion, people dont take us seriously and they think we are a bunch of cultural performers or masqueraders or just people who are promoting culture.

smiley

cultural performance and promoting culture is good   smiley

Infact, performance is the single most important ability responsible for the unified progressive continual resolve of a people; dont just take my word for it, look closely enough you'll bear witness to this playing out in the world of today.

Cultural promotion  is a very important discipline in cultural performance; on the other hand, cultural performance is a prerequisite for cultural promotion. The alignment of ones self is not important to us alone but is very much significant as a unified entity; as a people. Similarly, performance based on culture has a 'shock and awe' affect on the whole of humanity.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by chowbaby: 9:48pm On Nov 09, 2011
@plaetton This is so wonderfully written. You have hit the nail on the head!!![color=#006600][/color]

plaetton:

Correction: this corrupted version of the original. The romans redacted that part to fit with their new farbricated religion after Jesus was crowned god by imperial decree of the Nicean creed.

Jesus and Buddha, by their teachings, seeks to give you completely sovereignty of your devine heritage:- your mind, your consciousness and your sou.

The romans and the christianity they imposed on the world sought to do the opposite by robbing you of your christhood(your devine heritage) and asking you to seek it through intermediaries such as priests, church and Jesus and the worship of an imaginary man in the sky.

When you focus inwards and eventually come to a self-realization and make a connection with your real self, it is then that you are truly Christ-end . But before that, you have to die a spiritual death and be resurrected or Born Again into a new spiritual life.

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Amujale(m): 9:53pm On Nov 09, 2011
Pastor AIO:

I'm sure the buddha was around long before then.  500- 600 BCE would be a more accurate estimate.

Indeed
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:05pm On Nov 10, 2011
Amujale:

smiley

cultural performance and promoting culture is good   smiley

Infact, performance is the single most important ability responsible for the unified progressive continual resolve of a people; dont just take my word for it, look closely enough you'll bear witness to this playing out in the world of today.

Cultural promotion  is a very important discipline in cultural performance; on the other hand, cultural performance is a prerequisite for cultural promotion. The alignment of ones self is not important to us alone but is very much significant as a unified entity; as a people. Similarly, performance based on culture has a 'shock and awe' affect on the whole of humanity.

oh yes ofcourse. e.g., the Pagan Mungiki group of Kenya are stressing largely on Gikuyu tribal culture.

culture = self-respect

go figure. cool

1 Like

Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Cdemian: 11:01am On Nov 28, 2011
@Plaetton and to all buddhists herein NL, I'm interested in Buddhism. When I was in the university a friend of my told me about buddhism but I never read any of buddhism books. I like the buddhism's ideas and concepts. . I will want to learn more about buddhism and also join buddhist community. Is there any buddhist place of worship/learning in Nigeria? How can I start my journey into buddhism?
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
frosbel: ^^^

Without Christianity and the missionaries who brought it, you will still be living a life of savagery, always remember that .

You owe them for your education and enlightenment.

lol.
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
@topic, i have watched a few documentaries and read up a little about Buddhism.

I like it. smiley

You can believe in any God you choose and still practice Buddhism which is more concerned with your inner self and being than the other unnecessary stuff most other religions/cults do.

Buddhism will enable me to put my quest for self knowledge and love as well as my imagination to good use. cool
Re: What Is Buddhism And How Can It Help Your Life? by pazienza(m): 10:29pm On Sep 19, 2012
plaetton:

Correction: this corrupted version of the original. The romans redacted that part to fit with their new farbricated religion after  Jesus was  crowned god by imperial decree of  the Nicean creed.

The romans and the christianity they imposed on the world sought to do the opposite by robbing you of your christhood(your devine heritage)  and asking you to seek it through intermediaries such as priests, church and Jesus and the worship of an imaginary man in the sky.

When you focus inwards and eventually come to a self-realization  and make a connection with your real self, it is then that you are truly Christ-end . But before that, you have to die a spiritual death and be resurrected or Born Again into a new spiritual life.

This is wisdom at it's peak. You just made my day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is There An Islamic Inscription On The Nigerian Army Logo? / What Do I Think About Jehovah Witness Members And Religion As A Whole? / What Do You Do When Someone Hurts You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.