Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,136,420 members, 7,755,069 topics. Date: Monday, 04 March 2024 at 03:19 AM

Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. (434 Views)

Return Of Train Services In Abia: Otti Holds Talks With NRC Officials / Joe Parkinson: Why Buhari, Nigerian Officials Are ‘Nervous’ About Biden / Discos Are Sabotaging Fg’s Efforts - MURIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by GideonOludayomi(m): 4:14pm On Oct 06, 2023
On my way to Lagos from Ibadan today, some NRC employees lured us to board the train without tickets.

Initially, they acted like they were taking us to the ticket counter only for them to lead us to the Railway without official ticket.
They collected cash on transit.
——————————————————

On 02nd October 2023, my friends and I were going back to Lagos after a weekend getaway in Ibadan.

We arrived at the Train Station around 03:40pm. While we were walking to the entrance of Obafemi Awolowo Train Station Ibadan, a uniformed NRC official approached us.

He asked if had the tickets and I told him we were on our way to get tickets. He then asked how many we are and I told him that we are five (5).

He told us to follow him. We were confident we could trust him because he was wearing a uniform and identified as a staff.

My friends and I followed him thinking he was leading us to the ticket counter only for us to pass through screening and head towards the Railway.

I immediately told him that we do not have have tickets to board the train but he said I shouldn't worry that it would be sorted.

He handed me over to another uniformed staff who lead us to Coach 7. I told the lady the same thing that we do not have tickets and she said she was aware and it would be sorted.

I was so uncomfortable and unsettled so I asked two other persons if they had tickets.

I discovered every single person onboard coach 7 had no ticket and were lured in the same way.

At this time, I realized what was happening and became more uncomfortable.

I was about to step out to look for the ticket counter when I saw that the time. It was 3:55pm.

While pacing and looking for a staff, I saw new people come into the train and I approached one of them. I asked him if he has a ticket and he said yes. I asked him when he got the ticket and he replied, "Just now"

This ruled out my assumption that we were too late.

I saw the uniformed staff that led us into the train and asked him about the tickets. His response was that we are a group of 5 so if we go to the counter to purchase the tickets we would not be able to sit together.

I was shocked. He couldn't even make something believable up.

I went back to my seat. I still had my money with me so I would wait and see what happens next.

Few minutes after the train started moving, they started collecting cash from people on Coach 7

I paid N18,000 cash for 5 persons

Over 60 persons paid N3600 each without tickets.

Very very soon, the new railway will be grounded and some people will turn around to blame truck owners.

Today it is 1 coach, in few months if this is not checked, greed will set in and the gang will be collecting cash on 5 coaches.

Copyright: Daramola E. Adenike
@Dara4Enjoyment on X
October 2, 2023

Copied from X

2 Likes

Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by Alchemy528: 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2023
cheesy
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by lanre9ja(m): 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
I love this report.... Thanks you and God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by lordm(m): 10:39pm On Oct 06, 2023
Nigeria is being destroyed by Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by NwaNimo1(m): 10:56pm On Oct 06, 2023
Na so Nigeria airways was run and crashed....
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by loffyloffy: 10:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
GideonOludayomi:
On my way to Lagos from Ibadan today, some NRC employees lured us to board the train without tickets.

Initially, they acted like they were taking us to the ticket counter only for them to lead us to the Railway without official ticket.
——————————————————

On 02nd October 2023, my friends and I were going back to Lagos after a weekend getaway in Ibadan.

We arrived at the Train Station around 03:40pm. While we were walking to the entrance of Obafemi Awolowo Train Station Ibadan, a uniformed NRC official approached us.

He asked if had the tickets and I told him we were on our way to get tickets. He then asked how many we are and I told him that we are five (5).

He told us to follow him. We were confident we could trust him because he was wearing a uniform and identified as a staff.

My friends and I followed him thinking he was leading us to the ticket counter only for us to pass through screening and head towards the Railway.

I immediately told him that we do not have have tickets to board the train but he said I shouldn't worry that it would be sorted.

He handed me over to another uniformed staff who lead us to Coach 7. I told the lady the same thing that we do not have tickets and she said she was aware and it would be sorted.

I was so uncomfortable and unsettled so I asked two other persons if they had tickets.

I discovered every single person onboard coach 7 had no ticket and were lured in the same way.

I was about to step out to look for the ticket counter when I saw that the time. It was 3:55pm.

While pacing and looking for a staff, I saw new people come into the train and I approached one of them. I asked him if he has a ticket and he said yes. I asked him when he got the ticket and he replied, "Just now"

I saw the uniformed staff that led us into the train and asked him about the tickets. His response was that we are a group of 5 so if we go to the counter to purchase the tickets we would not be able to sit together.

I went back to my seat. I still had my money with me so I would wait and see what happens next.

Few minutes after the train started moving, they started collecting cash from people on Coach 7

Very very soon, the new railway will be grounded and some people will turn around to blame truck owners.

Today it is 1 coach, in few months if this is not checked, greed will set in and the gang will be collecting cash on 5 coaches.

@Dara4Enjoyment on X
October 2, 2023

Copied from X

Why cant the fedral govt introduce cowry cards like lagos..

Why cash, if not an intentional plan to allow fraud?
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by EXOUSIAng: 2:10am On Oct 07, 2023
loffyloffy:

You turned around to blame the government.
What is really wrong with you Nigerians?
You dont see anything wrong in this you only see something wrong with the government.
You are a problem worse than the government, with citizens like you,the country has no future.
So you are saying the average Nigerian is wired to be fraudulent and you don't see anything wrong with that....

YOU EVEN SAID ITS AN INTENTIONAL PLAN BY THE GOVERNMENT TO ALLOW FRAUD.

I don't think you are an unpatriotic citizen, I think you are actually just sick in the head
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by EXOUSIAng: 2:15am On Oct 07, 2023
loffyloffy:

This shit you said actually goes above the stewwpeedest think I could have ever imagined.

If your son goes into your neighbours house to steal, you will blame your neighbour for not shutting his door properly or for having valuable things in his house, and also accuse him of intentional plan to allow your child steal from the apartment

I have seen lower animals who actually reason better than this.
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by loffyloffy: 4:59am On Oct 13, 2023
EXOUSIAng:

This shit you said actually goes above the stewwpeedest think I could have ever imagined.

If your son goes into your neighbours house to steal, you will blame your neighbour for not shutting his door properly or for having valuable things in his house, and also accuse him of intentional plan to allow your child steal from the apartment

I have seen lower animals who actually reason better than this.

There is a lot wrong with you if you think.suggesting a solution to the govt, is the same thing as blaiming them for the theft.

It makes no sense that NRC is collecting cash..they should do business by contact less payment..like lagos.

Introducing technology to restrict access and receive payment is the way to go.

It will reduce theft, and increase accountability.
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by EXOUSIAng: 7:51am On Oct 13, 2023
loffyloffy:

There is a lot wrong with you if you think.suggesting a solution to the govt, is the same thing as blaiming them for the theft.

It makes no sense that NRC is collecting cash..they should do business by contact less payment..like lagos.

Introducing technology to restrict access and receive payment is the way to go.

It will reduce theft, and increase accountability.

You are talking about a public transport system, how many users can actually work with new tech. The level of exposure and civilization in Lagos is unparalleled to that in any state in Nigeria, you can't apply the systems in Lagos everywhere, you expect that old woman who is bringing her merchandise in from Abeokuta or the old man coming to see his son in Lagos to buy a cowerie card.
The card is acceptable on Lagos because people same set of people use the BRT everyday, the train service doesn't work that way, I may go to Ibadan just one time in a year, you really expect me to get a card for that.
The problem is not with the tech or not the problem is with the staff, and that's what you need to understand. The average Nigerian is worse off than the politicians they complain about. It would have been easier if this was just a Lagos train. The trains are going to run all he way to Kano there has to be a uniform mode of payment, how many commuters from Kano can read and write to start talking of loading a card. Mind you the payment method has to be uniform....

Blame the criminals doing it, they need to be flushed out and new hands put on deck, have cameras all over, and maybe a system that scans your receipt to get you access, like an access door but trust they system to crash in a few weeks because of corrupt workers who want things returned to the state where they can make money.
Why do you think refineries didn't work?
Nigerians are corrupt.

The politicians sprang up from amongst the people, the politicians didn't become corrupt after they joined politics, they have always been corrupt.
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by mrvitalis(m): 8:18am On Oct 13, 2023
GideonOludayomi:

——————————————————

@Dara4Enjoyment on X
October 2, 2023

Copied from X
This very easy to solve really
.. Like Peter obi said simply look at how other countries solved theirs

Collect ticket at the entrance to the waiting room... Do only open when ticket card is electronically shipped

Yes it's not perfect... People would bypass it or try to this is were the real solutions comes in

Make the fine for trying to bypass it 5 million yes 5 million or 5 years on prison

Make sure you capture the first few people that would attempt it and make them face the maximum punishment

Recruit police and DSS as undercover agents for each corrupt officials they capture them collecting bribe they get 10% of the fines 500k instantly

This would reduce this to the lowest
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by loffyloffy: 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2023
EXOUSIAng:

You are talking about a public transport system, how many users can actually work with new tech. The level of exposure and civilization in Lagos is unparalleled to that in any state in Nigeria, you can't apply the systems in Lagos everywhere, you expect that old woman who is bringing her merchandise in from Abeokuta or the old man coming to see his son in Lagos to buy a cowerie card.
The card is acceptable on Lagos because people same set of people use the BRT everyday, the train service doesn't work that way, I may go to Ibadan just one time in a year, you really expect me to get a card for that.
The problem is not with the tech or not the problem is with the staff, and that's what you need to understand. The average Nigerian is worse off than the politicians they complain about. It would have been easier if this was just a Lagos train. The trains are going to run all he way to Kano there has to be a uniform mode of payment, how many commuters from Kano can read and write to start talking of loading a card. Mind you the payment method has to be uniform....

Blame the criminals doing it, they need to be flushed out and new hands put on deck, have cameras all over, and maybe a system that scans your receipt to get you access, like an access door but trust they system to crash in a few weeks because of corrupt workers who want things returned to the state where they can make money.
Why do you think refineries didn't work?
Nigerians are corrupt.

The politicians sprang up from amongst the people, the politicians didn't become corrupt after they joined politics, they have always been corrupt.

It doesnt have to be a cowrie card, it can just be their ATM card, even old people in the village have ATM card.

Find a solution that is secured, practical and easily acessible by most people.

Cowrie was just an example.

There are three major factors that lead to fraud.

1, motivation
2, rationalisation
And 3, Opportunity, take cash out of the equation, and you have reduced opportunity which the major factor, by up to 80%
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by forgiveness: 8:27pm On Oct 13, 2023
I now seems to know the reason they announced in the train that videoing is not allowed. grin
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by BafanaBafana: 8:34pm On Oct 13, 2023
Hello.. This is Tinubu government. A career criminal is the president. Wasn't his first act to attack EFCC office?
It is a thief and go government
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by yarimo(m): 9:30pm On Oct 13, 2023
Lagos state government should chase any developer as staff in that trian station before it is too late.
Re: Crime: How NRC Officials Are Sabotaging Train Station Revenue. by EXOUSIAng: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2023
loffyloffy:

It doesnt have to be a cowrie card, it can just be their ATM card, even old people in the village have ATM card.

Find a solution that is secured, practical and easily acessible by most people.

Cowrie was just an example.

There are three major factors that lead to fraud.

1, motivation
2, rationalisation
And 3, Opportunity, take cash out of the equation, and you have reduced opportunity which the major factor, by up to 80%

Okay now I understand, you haven't traveled by the rail before.
Let me explain, payment via POS is available, cash is also available, the problem is not with the payment method, the problem here is that the staff are collecting the money and not giving out tickets or give the tickets but through the backdoor thereby making money for themselves and not the government.
So if a 100 passengers board the train only about 20 passengers officially bought ticket, but they all pay.
This is really not an issue with payment platform but with corrupt staff.

(1) (Reply)

50% Christians, 42% Muslims, 6% Pagans In Africa - Naira Economist / Imagine How Dumb You'll Sound Telling SC Tinubu's Records Is Forged By Vendors / Naira Still falling, Currently Trading at #783 to Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.