Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together (13302 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
justwise:

No, you should be ashamed of yourself rather, she clearly stated that this thread is for a laugh, if you don't find it funny then shut it.
justwise, why not try a different username, like justretard?

zero one, oh two amuses right?
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by aieromon(m): 6:41pm On Oct 22, 2011
Guys,the thread is just for laughs.I don't think the OP meant to ridicule the staff at the embassy.

@OP
What's the latest update on your application for the NIGERIAN passport?
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Vicjustice: 7:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ JeSoul, thank you for your time and the narrations, actually, i would be surprised if you felt surprised at your experience, things could have been worse, you know
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by justwise(m): 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
webdezzi:

justwise, why not try a different username, like justretard?

zero one, oh two amuses right?

You sad thing, laughing is actually free.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by BlueMagic2(m): 8:02pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ sapele_don. If Nigeria was able to fix its problems and image there wont be a negative attitude about Nigerians, & come to think of it if Nigeria had its Biz in check we wont get all these scrutiny like d Moslem Arabs. The German guy absolutely had no right 2 ask u such questions. I dont know how i wld have handled d German guy bt i wld have given it 2 him real bad. I have a problem with d fact that Nigeria has all d potentials to be 1 of the greatest countries in the world and countries like Germany wont even compete or be worthy to carry our bags. But since we have an incompetent Govt with d rest of its rulers its not happening & i cant see it happening in 50yrs. I wld rather stick with my adopted country, lipsrsealed
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Lax75(m): 8:05pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ Sapele_Don.

Roger that! Will do. Kai. Savanah ooo. Tybee Island and River Street. Memories. Ol' boy, that crazy filipino woman dey rude soteeee.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by iice(f): 8:47pm On Oct 22, 2011
LOL JS grin

My own is that majority of the embassies are not that helpful, which is a big part of their job.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Haribo: 9:11pm On Oct 22, 2011
LMAO at this entire thread,
Late last year I took a day off work and travelled all the way to NYC for my appointment to get my new passport. I got there only for the guy at the reception to tell me they were CLOSED. See me see wahala. I thought I was going to just go crazy and start killing people there and then. After THEY GAVE ME APPOINTMENT DATE and made me waste my precious vacation time to travel there, they were closed? Who does that? Really??

After closing my eyes and counting to 10 to regain sanity, I remembered that on the website, it stated that the embassy sends staff to different states at different times in the year to process passports for Nigerians living far away from NY, the website said they usually come to Boston in March. So I asked the guy to help me confirm when they would be coming round my way. After laughing at me the guy was like who told you that? These people haven't finished managing their scheduling for appointment and you want them to travel to your state? I don't know if he was lying or clueless, but at that point I lost all my energy so I just walked out and went to find somewhere to cool down before heading back home.

I'll cut the long story short. I actually ended up getting my new passport early this year, after much stress at the embassy. I have to say that place is an embarrassment. The staff is disorganised, the place is dirty, many of the lights aren't working, and it smells funny overall. To top it off, I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but there is a 'mama put' style buka RIGHT IN THE EMBASSY. Yes. You go in there, order your eba and egusi, and then WASH YOUR HANDS INTO A BUCKET before digging into your meal. I mean, it's already weird that they are selling moin moin and what not inside an embassy, but try and make it look clean at least. Is that too much to ask??

SMH @ the whole situation. I am a proud Naija girl and I wave my passport proudly wherever I go (except for right after Muttallab did his thing, I had to lay low at that time), but I won't lie, that embassy is an eyesore. We can do better.

Oh, and one more thing, it seems like no matter what time you call, no one ever picks up, and the mailbox is always full. WTH? Cry the beloved country,
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by keeptrying: 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2011
the Nigerian embassy in DC is still ok.They helped me with my visa the same day.I don't see anything funny about this post undecided.If your experience is the other way round,you may not post it on nairaland.poster pls grow up and embrace your motherland.If you have problem with their services write to the appropiate authority.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Select(m): 11:59pm On Oct 22, 2011
A nice thread I must say and it seems one should expect different things at both the Consulates @ Georgia and New York.
@ Jesoul and Haribo,
pls do you stay in Boston or near Canton? I need to get an important info. Pls hit me up at select500@yahoo.com thnks.
@ Sapele Don,
I hav sent you a request via Yahoo Messenger, would also send a mail.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Danni2: 12:40am On Oct 23, 2011
The poster of this thread is a concerned Nigerian and I commend you. I lived in Manhattan NYC couple of blocks from the Nigerian Embassy for over 3yrs. It's really embarrassing and bad for the Country's image in NYC. Everything the poster has is true of the staff and structure of that embassy. You would think u r in Nigeria cos of the attitude of the staff there. You just got to overlook everything and get what you want and leave.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by BlueMagic2(m): 1:39am On Oct 23, 2011
4k d Nigerian passport when i can travel around d world with my American passport. Why do Nigerians love their Nigerian passport so much when the only place its gonna take u is Nigeria,
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Nobody: 2:42am On Oct 23, 2011
Relax people! The guy is giving an account of his experience, with some humor too. Most people of nairaland just want to criticize everything people write.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by endmoll(m): 3:06am On Oct 23, 2011
All these patriotic n(N)igerians coming out her to yell and make noise,most of you have British and American passports.
Why is it that you took another nationality?
Where you forced to be American or British?
Why don't you stay in Nigeria to make it work like the western countries?
Nigeria is a failed state and it is never going to get better,i thought that those of you who are Americans should learn how to respect other peoples view of how they see Nigeria. (freedom of expression)

I won't forget the insult my wife got at the Nigeria embassy in Newyork just because she wanted to get a visa to visit my Father land,i was totally ashamed of myself.
I am a Nigerian and will say some thing good about Nigeria when i see changes,i hope all these Nigerian/Americans can respect my views.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by BlueMagic2(m): 3:17am On Oct 23, 2011
endmoll:

All these patriotic n(N)igerians coming out her to yell and make noise,most of you have British and American passports.
Why is it that you took another nationality?
Where you forced to be American or British?
Why don't you stay in Nigeria to make it work like the western countries?
Nigeria is a failed state and it is never going to get better,i thought that those of you who are Americans should learn how to respect other peoples view of how they see Nigeria. (freedom of expression)

I won't forget the insult my wife got at the Nigeria embassy in Newyork just because she wanted to get a visa to visit my Father land,i was totally ashamed of myself.
I am a Nigerian and will say some thing good about Nigeria when i see changes,i hope all these Nigerian/Americans can respect my views.

I'm wit u on dat one bro. Nigeria is a shithole & will always continue 2 be 1. If all those Nigerians loved Nigeria so much, they never shld have left Nigeria & why even bother to take up another nationality. I denounced Nigeria d minute I took up American citizenship. Nigeria sucks America Rocks.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by SapeleDon: 4:09am On Oct 23, 2011
endmoll and Blue Magic i agree with you guys that Nigeria is a failed State,i agree with you that Nigeria is everything bad but Nigeria is also our ancestral home. It will be disrespectful for me to question how mature you guys are, but suffice it to the fact that it is only a child with a short foresight that will be throwing insults to his place of origin just to make a point. Tinubu of Lagos,Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State and Adams Oshiomole of Edo State are amongst the many who studied outside Nigeria and even lived outside Nigeria for a while and with their wealth of experience they are trying to make changes in Nigeria, so the comments that those claiming to be patriotic should have stayed back home is uncalled for because we can live here and still contribute positively to the Growth of Nigeria.

The World Igbo Congress day was held in Detroit in the US in 2007 and again held in Canada in 2011,so does this mean the Igbo race could not have held this meetings to seek a way forward in addressing the issue of the average igbo man in Nigeria?does this mean by holding their Congress in the Diaspora means they are not patriotic?being patriotic is not by the passport one carries but inside a place in your heart.

endmoll, this is an intellectual discuss and you have the right to put your thoughts into writing as enshrined both in the Nigeria and the US constitution, but do know that home is home and no matter what we will go back there one day for something even if it is just for a visit.

Lastly, there is no way any Catholic can be more Catholic than the Pope neither can any English be more English than the Queen, so no matter how Americanized any Naturalized American citizen is, you cannot be more American than those born in the United States as you will still be an Outsider one way or the other(WE CANNOT EVEN CONTEST TO BE THE PRESIDENT IN THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE WE WERE NOT BORN HERE)and there are even crimes you commit in the United States and your citizenship is automatically stripped(CRIMES AGAINST THE STATE I.E TERRORISM) so the sooner you know you are an AMERICAN OUTSIDER and embrace your country of origin so it can work, the better for us all.

I greet you guys and really enjoyed the write ups.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by tEsLim(m): 8:18am On Oct 23, 2011
A friend is suppose to visit Nigeria with me they have her passport for 3months now! We sent to the DC embassy. So tell me what the embassy is keeping her passport for? They called once and said they're having technical difficulty. We even paid $85 or something to expedite the visa
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:50am On Oct 23, 2011
@posters - There are good Nigerians and there are Bad ones too. sadly the numbers of Bad outweigh the Good 100-1 IMHO grin
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by endmoll(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2011
Blue Magic:

I'm wit u on dat one bro. Nigeria is a shithole & will always continue 2 be 1. If all those Nigerians loved Nigeria so much, they never shld have left Nigeria & why even bother to take up another nationality. I denounced Nigeria d minute I took up American citizenship. Nigeria sucks America Rocks.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
I thought that my dear nation (Nigeria) would be striving to be one of the most developing nations in the world,but we turned to a bunch of lawless and inhumanless nation.
I am a Nigerian with Nigerian blood flowing in me but i will never stop criticising till there is a positive change in my fatherland. America gave most of us what we lacked in Nigeria and that is why we are proud to say what we want to say without the fear of being mobbed or silenced,you don't ever make that mistake in Nigeria or else you will be wasted.
We have a constitution that favours the rich but the common man on the street is not protected by that same constitution.
I will always brandish out my what ever kpali to any immigration officer rather the Nigerian kpali,who ever is unhappy with that should keep on hating, I have my life to live and will love to live it in it's fullest FREEDOM/RESPECT/JUSTICE/EQUALITY/LOVE/PEACE FOR ALL!!!
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by UgoBabe(f): 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2011
stopped reading this foolish post after the first two lines when i saw the tone and direction it was taking,

its always fun to pick and have a laff on nigeria/ nigeria's image, POster clap for yourself  undecided undecided

aS FOR BluMagic, Justdumb, Endmoll, Sapele, and all others that have nothing other to say about  that nigeria other than it is a failed state/ shithole/ etc- clap for yourselves, as you all are sso happy to safely say that from whichever foreign enclave you reside in, i hope you forever experience the 2nd class treatment of low class foreigneres, stoopid people who have no pride,
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by justwise(m): 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2011
UgoBabe:

stopped reading this foolish post after the first two lines when i saw the tone and direction it was taking,

its always fun to pick and have a laff on nigeria/ nigeria's image, POster clap for yourself  undecided undecided

aS FOR BluMagic, Justdumb, Endmoll, Sapele, and all others that have nothing other to say about  that nigeria other than it is a failed state/ shithole/ etc- clap for yourselves, as you all are sso happy to safely say that from whichever foreign enclave you reside in, i hope you forever experience the 2nd class treatment of low class foreigneres, stoopid people who have no pride,

This is a bit rich coming from a moral dead muppet. Did you read the title of this thread? You are in US representing Aba? What a shame!!
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by UgoBabe(f): 4:52pm On Oct 23, 2011
justwise:

[/b]

This is a bit rich coming from a moral dead muppet. Did you read the title of this thread? You are in US representing Aba? What a shame!!

YAWN, as i dont respect your intellect i could give a fly!ing fruck about what u say abiout me,
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by justwise(m): 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2011
UgoBabe:

YAWN, as i dont respect your intellect[b] i could give a fly!ing fruck about what u say abiout me,
[/b]

You got that right, i don't have much to say about you because there is nothing about you.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by SapeleDon: 5:47pm On Oct 23, 2011
UgoBabe it would have been fair you take your time to read all the post from all the contributors before you jump into your logical or illogical conclusions as there was no need for you to start calling people stupid and the rest.

I have carefully gone through all my write ups and did not find where i insulted Nigeria or even Nigerians but you are quick to call me stupid and a prayer for second class treatment which to me is funny but you are entitled to your own opinions but since you are quick to refer to somebody's intellect, i will advice from your typographical and spelling errors, plus how you present yourself has shown on what level of the intellectual and societal table you are in so will not waste my time in trying to make sense or have any intelligent conversation with somebody i consider to be intellectually bankrupt.

My MOTTO in life is that if you don't have anything POSITIVE in LIFE to say about somebody or a topic then keep your NEGATIVITY to yourself.

You just bumped into the room and without making one intellegent statement to buttress any thing, you start throwing insults left and right.

Make one intelligent observation or write up on why you are angry and lets read and see how intelligent you are.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by mimi234: 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2011
If you haven't been to the Nigerian Embassy in London - You haven't seen anything.

Just to enter the building is where the problem begins - Me and my mum got there at 8:10am approx you had to see the amount of people blocking the entrance, even the two security guards were overwhelmed lolol. Then he (the security guard) shouts "If your print out does not have 'payment confirmed' on it you can not enter this building" bearing in mind we are still outside on the streets lol in Westminster even the builders nearby couldn't comprehend what was going.

My mum being my mum made her way to the front and ensured we got in - this was about 9.30am-ish. To my surprise the room is also very small - we were renewing our passports so we had to get our number and wait. I felt i was in a choir rehearsal the amount of different noises you hear is funny lol. Then sum man tried to jump in front of us just because we didn't hear the woman call our number. We were 36 but when my mum hear "number 37" you had to see how my mum jumped to the front (usain bolt has nothing on my mum lol). But that part was just to check we paid online and our postal order (kmt lolol). Then we had to go back and sit down again. Someone took our seats (u trust my mum) we got our seats back o!!

After that ordeal i didn't follow my mum to o collect the passports - i stayed home thank u very much looooooool
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by BlueMagic2(m): 11:25pm On Oct 23, 2011
@ugobabe r u takin of a citizen of Nigeria who is always being harassed by d police, a govt dat can't provide a good quality of life for it's citizens, a country where it's citizens are afraid 2 speak out their minds, where d citizens dont know thier rights. Where d rulers feel d citizens r there 2 serve em. Where an ibo man can never be a governor of a yoruba state, where an imo man can never be a councellor talkless of a governor of abia state. When did ur vote count 4 anytin. What makes u feel u can ever become president of nigeria. If these r ur idea of being a nigerian citizen, then I gladly chose 2 be a 2nd class citizen right here where i'm @. Tanx bt no tanx.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Misterpaul(m): 11:54pm On Oct 23, 2011
UgoBabe:

wtf, did you also include Sapele's name there?, I think you really need to go back and re-read his(Sapele-don) comments.Then come back and apologys to him, Because,he doesn't deserve that insult,
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by endmoll(m): 12:26am On Oct 24, 2011
UgoBabe:

To be frank with you I am enjoying being a second class citizen as you rightly said. i will love you to compare the life you have where ever you are in Nigeria with the life of some body in Ghana not to talk of any other western nation.
I wish you can think out of the box or get a bit of exposure for you to understand that Nigerians are enslaved by there own choice or making.
I don't know what effort you are making to make niNigeriareat once again,but for me i have chosen a path and your views can not change that.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by BlueMagic2(m): 6:00am On Oct 24, 2011
endmoll:

To be frank with you I am enjoying being a second class citizen as you rightly said. i will love you to compare the life you have where ever you are in Nigeria with the life of some body in Ghana not to talk of any other western nation.
I wish you can think out of the box or get a bit of exposure for you to understand that Nigerians are enslaved by there own choice or making.
I don't know what effort you are making to make niNigeriareat once again,but for me i have chosen a path and your views can not change that.

@endmoll seems we r both on d same page.
The problem with Nigerians is that they have become so delusional with their problems. Instead of demanding more from their ineffective Govt, they blame everybody else bt themselves. Power increases from 4hrs a day to 5hrs a day, they praise their Govt, water runs from d tap once in a month they praise the govt, roads are repaired after many yrs of neglect they r happy with d Govt etc. Are u paying to have power for jst 4hrs a day or 24hrs a day? Are u paying to have d roads repaired jst once in 5yrs or to have it always repaired and maintained? Why do u keep having fuel scarcity and d price for fuel is so high when Nigeria is 1 of d largest producers of oil in d world. The People r d Govt, d Govt is not d people. Even d arabs ave come to realize this FACT. In in the U.S the people are always demanding more from its Govt, d Govt serves d people instead of d people serving d Govt as is Nigeria's case. The US govt is everyday thinking of ways to make life better for its people. What has Nigerian Govt done for its people lately. Why have a grudge with people u assume are 2nd class citizens out here bt have a better quality of life than a 1st class citizen in Nigeria. NIGERIANS NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!! Cos everybody else is awake.

As for d case of d Nigerian passport(a worthless piece of document), i remember tellin a frnd of mine that it wld be better if she travelled with her American Passport than her Nigerian passport, she refused my advice & travelled with her Nigerian passport. When she came back after having a story to tell she swore never to travell to Nigeria with her Nigerian passport becos even in Nigeria they respect the US passport more than the Nigerian passport. 4K D NIGERIAN PASSPORT!!!!!!!!!!! Enuff said
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by Pelumiv(m): 9:18am On Oct 24, 2011
i cant seems to stop laughing. u all make this obodo oyinbo sounds like paradise.
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:34am On Oct 24, 2011
UgoBabe:

I was not aware Nigeria was not a failed-state. this is interesting. please do you have substantial evidence that you have given Nigeria a Pass-mark? smiley
Re: A Day At The Nigerian Embassy In New York - Let Us Laugh Together by bonysmile: 9:49am On Oct 24, 2011
So what's fun about that?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Regrets Tweet On BRT Bus Crash / Military Announces 7 Abuja Roads To Be Closed During 2019 Armed Forces Remembran / 42 Private Jets Land At Lagos Airport Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.