Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,381 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu (20030 Views)

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / Igala Language In Anambra State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 2:24am On Oct 23, 2011
Olukumi is most likely and Edoid speaking group not Yoruboid or it might be an isolate language.

olukumi is an old dialect of yoruba.

is there a problem?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 2:26am On Oct 23, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Alh Uche, well done. They are facts well known to us already. Educate us more on Ondo state where the language is yoruba, with some ijaw speaking communities by the coast

which parts of ondo state speak edo?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by odumchi: 2:30am On Oct 23, 2011
Tell me how Ika is more Edo than Igbo? Tell me how the king of Agbor and the Ika is Obi Benjamin Ikechukwu, an Igboman, but yet according to you they are Edo? Man you have to think.

alj_harem:

smh, Did you read the first few post i posted

of course Ika is more related to the Binis aka edos but Oluku mi is a no and are part of the anioma ethnic group

you can not call them Igbo as you wish.

[b]The Anioma culture over the time has become distinct and typical to the region, thus no ethnicity or group of people can justifiably lay claims to this culture because it is unique to the region. The uniqueness of this culture has ordinarily on its own tended to fend off arguments from quarters laying claims to the beautiful culture of this people. The Anioma culture they say speaks for itself. It has also beaten the imagination of several cultural observers on how speedily the culture and tradition of Anioma people have become homogenous in spite of the group not having common ancestral history as many historians mistakenly assume.

Although certain communities in this region can lay claim to Igbo ancestry as supported by oral history, many of these group have their histories obviously not linking them with Igbo home as their place of origin. [/b]It is for this reason that those ignorant on Anioma history fail to understand that in Anioma more than 12 languages exists in this region alone. The Agbor people w[b]ho are of Ika ethnic group but agreed to join the union of Anioma with the rest of their neighbouring communities scattered around the region chiefly because all the towns and communities in this region[/b] have had a common history of relationship even many centuries before the arrival of the Europeans, and have shared common culture speak Ozzara and Ika.

The Ugbodu speak Olukumi (extinct form of Yoruba language,) Igbo and Igara. The Igara language is not typical to Ugbodu, else where in Evbu this language is also in use in addition to Igbo language. In Igbodo, Igbo and Ika is spoken by the people. Ika is a language similar to Bini. These languages strange to Igbo reflect in everyday usage in names of humans, articles, and chieftaincy titles shared with the Edos believed to be the ancestral home of many of these Anioma communities.  

http://www.ibusa.net/mysite/anioma2.htm

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by ezeagu(m): 2:34am On Oct 23, 2011
Just so some understand:

1. Olukumi is as relevant in Anioma as French Creole is in the United States.
2. Obi is not a corruption of Oba.
3. Agbor is not "more Edo than Igbo".
4. There are no Okukumi areas, no Olukumi speaking towns, no Olukumi named places in Anioma, only pockets of communities that are hardly heard of.

Good.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by odumchi: 2:36am On Oct 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Just so some understand:

1. Olukumi is as relevant in Anioma as French Creole is in the United States.
2. Obi is not a corruption of Oba.
3. Agbor is not "more Edo than Igbo".
4. There are no Okukumi areas, no Olukumi speaking towns, no Olukumi named places in Anioma, only pockets of communities that are hardly heard of.

Good.

Thank you.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 2:40am On Oct 23, 2011
odumchi:

Tell me how Ika is more Edo than Igbo? Tell me how the king of Agbor and the Ika is Obi Benjamin Ikechukwu, an Igboman, but yet according to you they are Edo? Man you have to think.

Bros to be honest, That is another thread entirely; I would leave Ikas for the Ika people, I am talking of precisely Oluku mi people and my studies on them as a people.

As an Awori Yoruba man as myself, I find it fascinating the similarity between Oluku mi people and my people. I am not doing anything funny here (because of the way u went defensive) I mean that the end of the day, they are now anioma people and the only connection they have with yorubas is the language.

All I am trying to do is know more about them before I visit the place (Ugbodu), that is all. I want to use this medium to trace any ancient Yoruba words that have been lost. That is all.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by ezeagu(m): 2:42am On Oct 23, 2011
What have you found out about the Olukumi so far?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 2:47am On Oct 23, 2011
ezeagu:

What have you found out about the Olukumi so far?

so far, not much. All I know right now is that they are part of anioma igbo people

also they live in 4 areas delta north of ugbodu being the main place.

some words and poem in Oluku mi language which was very interesting.

Since some of you have been to delta north, maybe you can educate me more on olukumi people
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 2:48am On Oct 23, 2011
i dont see what the big deal is here.

the itsekiri, a yoruboid speaking people, are in delta state and have been there since time immemorial.

so what's the roadblock about other groups with yoruba ancestry in that area?

the benin monarchy itself is from yoruba.

is it such a great leap of imagination to figure out yorubas have been encompassing or travelling to/through that region for a while now? Whether through slave trade or whatever it was.

the only issue is the ones who migrated eastward integrated into the populations over there while the ones who migrated westward remained within the geographical and cultural ranges of yorubaland.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Nobody: 2:49am On Oct 23, 2011
With Yoruba migration comes Yoruba marks.

They leave their mark wherever they've been.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 2:52am On Oct 23, 2011
what is it exactly about the midwestern regions onwards that makes it more difficult for emigrant yorubas to retain their culture like we see elsewhere.

because even overseas yorubas still retained their identity and traditions.

the only explanation i can think of is the bantuoid influence though i could be wrong.

still working on it.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 2:58am On Oct 23, 2011
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by exotik: 3:10am On Oct 23, 2011
the benin monarchy itself is from yoruba.

. . . and the first ooni to reign in ife who instituted the ife monarchy was a bini man.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 3:14am On Oct 23, 2011
alj harem:

wrong again

they are edo and yoruba speaking groups in Northern delta

Yoruba aka Oluku mi areas are

Ukwunzu,

Ugbodu,

Ubulubu,

Idumu-Ogo

all of which are anioma areas of northern delta of which they speak oluku mi

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Uhh1AAAAMAAJ&q=anioma+yoruba&dq=anioma+yoruba&hl=en&ei=dEyjTs-SLoXLswapmMWKAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y

LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS, CLANS, ETHNIC ORIGIN AND TITLES OF THEIR TRADITIONAL RULERS

S/Non                Local Government Council                            Clan                           Sub-Clan                 Ethnic Grp                             Titles           Remark

1.                               Aniocha North                                  Ezechima                       Issele –Uku                   Ibo                      Obi of  Issele –Uku
                                                                                         Idumje                         Onicha Ugbo                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Ugbo
                                                                                          Odiani                         Onicha Ukwu                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Ukwu
                                                                                                                            Obomkpa                      Ibo                      Obi of  Obomkpa
                                                                                                                            Onicha Olona                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Olona
                                                                                                                            Ezi                                Ibo                      Obi of  Ezi    
                                                                                                                            Obior                             Ibo                     Obi of  Obior
                                                                                                                            Issele Azagba                 Ibo                     Obi of  Issele  Azagba
                                                                                                                            Issele -Mkpitime             Ibo                     Obi of Issele Mkpitime
                                                                                                                            Idumuje Unor                 Ibo                     Obi of Idumuje Unor
                                                                                                                            Idumuje Ugboko             Ibo                     Obi of Idumuje Ugboko
                                                                                                                            Ukwunzu                        Ibo                     Obi of Ukwunzu
                                                                                                                            Ugboba                          Ibo                     Obi of Ugboba
                                                                                                                            Ubulutu                          Ibo                     Obi of Ubulutu
                                                                                                                            Ugboga                           Ibo                    Obi of Ugboga
                                                                                                                            Idumuogo                       Ibo                    Obi of Idumuogo
                                                                                                                            Ogodo

http://nigerdeltacongress.com/karticles/local_government_councils.htm
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 3:15am On Oct 23, 2011
tpia@:

what is it exactly about the midwestern regions onwards that makes it more difficult for emigrant yorubas to retain their culture like we see elsewhere.

because even overseas yorubas still retained their identity and traditions.

the only explanation i can think of is the bantuoid influence though i could be wrong.

still working on it.

Oh shut up
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 3:20am On Oct 23, 2011
Chyz*:

LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCILS, CLANS, ETHNIC ORIGIN AND TITLES OF THEIR TRADITIONAL RULERS

S/Non                Local Government Council                            Clan                           Sub-Clan                 Ethnic Grp                             Titles           Remark

1.                               Aniocha North                                  Ezechima                       Issele –Uku                   Ibo                      Obi of  Issele –Uku
                                                                                         Idumje                         Onicha Ugbo                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Ugbo
                                                                                          Odiani                         Onicha Ukwu                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Ukwu
                                                                                                                            Obomkpa                      Ibo                      Obi of  Obomkpa
                                                                                                                            Onicha Olona                 Ibo                      Obi of  Onicha Olona
                                                                                                                            Ezi                                Ibo                      Obi of  Ezi    
                                                                                                                            Obior                             Ibo                     Obi of  Obior
                                                                                                                            Issele Azagba                 Ibo                     Obi of  Issele  Azagba
                                                                                                                            Issele -Mkpitime             Ibo                     Obi of Issele Mkpitime
                                                                                                                            Idumuje Unor                 Ibo                     Obi of Idumuje Unor
                                                                                                                            Idumuje Ugboko             Ibo                     Obi of Idumuje Ugboko
                                                                                                                            Ukwunzu                        Ibo                     Obi of Ukwunzu
                                                                                                                            Ugboba                          Ibo                     Obi [s]of Ugboba
                                                                                                                            Ubulutu                          Ibo                     Obi of Ubulutu
                                                                                                                            Ugboga                           Ibo                    Obi of Ugboga
                                                                                                                            Idumuogo                       Ibo                    Obi of Idumuogo[/s]
                                                                                                                            Ogodo

http://nigerdeltacongress.com/karticles/local_government_councils.htm

why did you change with your link posted to suit your motive ?

YOU LINK NEVER put Ugboba, Ubulutu, Ugboga, Idumuogo as Ibo ethnic group so why lie chyz ?

Why ??

why did you add ibo to it when your link did not do the same ??

why brother why ??
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 3:22am On Oct 23, 2011
alj_harem:

why did you change with your link posted to suit your motive ?

YOU LINK NEVER put Ugboba, Ubulutu, Ugboga, Idumuogo as Ibo ethnic group so why lie chyz ?

Why ??

why did you add ibo to it when your link did not do the same ??

why brother why ??

GO BACK AND LOOK CAREFULLY. THEY ARE NOT CHANGED. THEY ARE LINED UP CORRECTLY. COUNT THEM 1 BY 1. TRUST ME, YOU DONT KNOW ANIOMA LOL
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 3:26am On Oct 23, 2011
exotik:

. . . and the first ooni to reign in ife who instituted the ife monarchy was a bini man.

highly doubtful and only a fairly recent concocted story.

going by oral history, tradition and patterns of migration to say the least, oduduwa [who btw wasnt the first ooni in ife] was from another yoruba or yoruboid group somewhere.

you're free to disagree with this without being rude. undecided

we already know yorubas interacted with their eastern neighbours in ancient times.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 3:27am On Oct 23, 2011
Chyz*:

GO BACK AND LOOK CAREFULLY. THEY ARE NOT CHANGED. THEY ARE LINED UP CORRECTLY. COUNT THEM 1 BY 1. TRUST ME, YOU DONT KNOW ANIOMA LOL

again they are anioma but why did that website give some false claims . They might be Igbo now but I really want to know of the Olukumis

I do not really care what Nigerdelta congress say. I want someone who knows more of the oluku mi. thats all
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 3:30am On Oct 23, 2011
the olukumis trace their ancestry to a yoruba migration which passed through benin centuries ago.

that's it in a nutshell.

they may have been joined or preceded by other yorubas who were taken to the region as slaves or traders or something- not sure.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 3:31am On Oct 23, 2011
alj_harem:

again they are anioma but why did that website give some false claims . They might be Igbo now but I really want to know of the Olukumis

I do not really care what Nigerdelta congress say. I want someone who knows more of the oluku mi. thats all

Oh close ur mouth. Just a second ago you were claiming I changed the info around to suit myself now ur saying "they might be Igbo now". Igbo is Igbo.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by exotik: 3:33am On Oct 23, 2011
tpia@:

highly doubtful and only a fairly recent concocted story.

going by oral history, tradition and patterns of migration to say the least, oduduwa [who btw wasnt the first ooni in ife] was from another yoruba or yoruboid group somewhere.

you're free to disagree with this without being rude. undecided

we already know yorubas interacted with their eastern neighbours in ancient times.

there are several oral histories and patterns of migration, so it depends on the one you choose to base your opinion on.

and who was the first ooni of ife? and what was oduduwa's role in ife?

there is no way oduduwa would have been from been yoruba, the name oduduwa itself edoid.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Abagworo(m): 3:33am On Oct 23, 2011
SMH@ how people find pleasure in trying to divide Igbos.Alj Harem, I was the one that posted that Ugbodu thread on Nairaland and now you are trying to twist things using the thread. I feel ashamed each time I encounter any Igbo man working tirelessly to find a reason for being different from Igbo.It is like a man trying to run away from himself. The Anioma area consists mainly of people of Igbo origin and couple of Edo and Igala migrants.The Olukumis now speak Igbo but still have traces of their original language left in songs and rituals.The diverse origin of Anioma area just like the SE area is not in doubt but saying there are 12 languages in Anioma is like saying there are 30 languages in Southeast,
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 3:37am On Oct 23, 2011
Abagworo:

SMH@ how people find pleasure in trying to divide Igbos.Alj Harem, I was the one that posted that Ugbodu thread on Nairaland and now you are trying to twist things using the thread. I feel ashamed each time I encounter any Igbo man working tirelessly to find a reason for being different from Igbo.It is like a man trying to run away from himself. The Anioma area consists mainly of people of Igbo origin and couple of Edo and Igala migrants.The Olukumis now speak Igbo but still have traces of their original language left in songs and rituals.The diverse origin of Anioma area just like the SE area is not in doubt but saying there are 12 languages in Anioma is like saying there are 30 languages in Southeast,

where did i say they are not anioma Igbos ?

Infact the link I brought suggest that the author wants anioma state to be part of SE. aka Igbo states so not doubt they are igbos.

All I want is information on oluku mi people that is all.

Igbo bu igbo. Igbo is Igbo whether anioma and co. again odumchi took me the that discussion which I never intended to get part of.

All I want is Oluku mi people information. biko.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 3:43am On Oct 23, 2011
exotik:

there are several oral histories and patterns of migration, so it depends on the one you choose to base your opinion on.

and who was the first ooni of ife? and what was oduduwa's role in ife?

there is no way oduduwa would have been from been yoruba, the name oduduwa itself edoid.

you again. undecided

welcome.

i'm referring to verifiable and objective patterns and history, not subjective, feel-good ones based on half truths and questionable motives.

the name oduduwa was also called odu'uwa in some older texts.

odu'uwa is a different syntax, as you can see.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Abagworo(m): 3:46am On Oct 23, 2011
alj_harem:

where did i say they are not anioma Igbos ?

Infact the link I brought suggest that the author wants anioma state to be part of SE. aka Igbo states so not doubt they are igbos.

All I want is information on oluku mi people that is all.

Igbo bu igbo. Igbo is Igbo whether anioma and co. again odumchi took me the that discussion which I never intended to get part of.

All I want is Oluku mi people information. biko.

Now that you have come to the real issue,Olukumi is no lost language as people may assume but in fact one of the earlier name of Yorubas.The Olukumis in Ugbodu migrated from Owo which means Owo speaks Olukumi.Records from slave era often referred to Yorubas as Lukumi.The only thing that happened is that the Delta Lukumi retained some lost words which might have been peculiar to some Yoruba area in the past.

I personally feel sorry for the loss of their dialect but this world is a growing one and we should not be stuck in the past.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by exotik: 3:48am On Oct 23, 2011
welcome.

i was actually here before you, so that is the wrong greeting. what you should say is obo'wa

i'm referring to verifiable and objective patterns and history, not subjective, feel-good ones based on half truths and vanity.

hmmm, that already sounds subjective to me.

odu'uwa is a different syntax, as you can see.

and that actually makes it more edoid, you should have tried oodua
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 3:51am On Oct 23, 2011
Abagworo:

Now that you have come to the real issue,Olukumi is no lost language as people may assume but in fact one of the earlier name of Yorubas.The Olukumis in Ugbodu migrated from Owo which means Owo speaks Olukumi.Records from slave era often referred to Yorubas as Lukumi.The only thing that happened is that the Delta Lukumi retained some lost words which might have been peculiar to some Yoruba area in the past.

I personally feel sorry for the loss of their dialect but this world is a growing one and we should not be stuck in the past.

interesting, thanks
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 4:05am On Oct 23, 2011
tpia@:

the olukumis trace their ancestry to a yoruba migration which passed through benin centuries ago.

that's it in a nutshell.

they may have been joined or preceded by other yorubas who were taken to the region as slaves or traders or something- not sure.

A migration? Are you sure abt this?

Also, Are you even sure that that that group was actually called olukumis and even when they "were in Ondo"?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by odumchi: 4:08am On Oct 23, 2011
tpia@:

that's it in a nutshell.

They are too small in number to date that far back.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 4:26am On Oct 23, 2011
how many of you are attacking me at the same time sha. undecided
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 4:27am On Oct 23, 2011
exotik:

iand that actually makes it more edoid, you should have tried oodua

someone familiar with yoruba dialects would understand the difference of odu'uwa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Different Masquerades At The New Yam Festival Anambra State / A Nairalander Honours Late Oba Of Benin, Shave His Hair. / How many languages are in your state?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.