Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,485 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu (20067 Views)

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / Igala Language In Anambra State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2011
tpia@:

^^not aware of this ogoga title.

what's the pronounciation?

there seems to be two kings in ikere- an olukere [of ife origin] and the ogoga [who seems to have migrated from benin]. Got this from a quick search.

never heard of this conflict before.

as per the ogoga/ogaga meaning- that's entirely possible.

we also have juba in yoruba which means worship or respect, and juba happens to be the name of a roman emperor of african origin.

so, there's really a lot that needs to be looked into by informed minds with the right training and experience.

owo, for example, can mean respect or honour in yoruba but it's also the name of a town.

Strange isn't it grin grin

I was also reading history of yorubas by rev samuel Johnson and to my greatest surprise I actually found a connection between Owu people of the egba clan and the present day Igbos (Btw Obj is an Owu man in egba)

I don't know if u noticed it as well ?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2011
^^you'll have to spell it out for me if you dont mind.

owo is in ondo state. Is there another one in ogun?

owo in olden times was one of the regional slave trading centers- not sure if this is the connection you're referring to?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 7:39pm On Oct 24, 2011
wbb.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2011
tpia@:

^^you'll have to spell it out for me if you dont mind.

owo is in ondo state. Is there another one in ogun?

owo in olden times was one of the regional slave trading centers- not sure if this is the connection you're referring to?

sorry I meant Owu people of the egba

the connection i meant was this

HISTORY OF THE YORUBAS
the common saying, " Egba ko I'olu, gbogbo nwon ni nse hi Oba "
(Egbas have no King, they are all of them like masters)

although the egbas have kings now . not too sure
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aribisala0(m): 7:44pm On Oct 24, 2011
i think you need to distinguish between peoples linkages and language linkages  there is a lot of linguistic evidence linking yoruba and igbo. this is technical evidence having little  to do with similarities observed or NOT observed in superficial form and structure.
genetic evidence is the gold standard of peoples linkage whereas language linkage merely indicates  interactions which are discernible from sophisticated statistical techniques used to compare the languages and then to group them. as such several studies have linked these languages at some point in antiquity.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by igboboy1(m): 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2011
alj harem, abeg anioma is not an ethnic group, Those of us from Delta North historically never called ourselves ANIOMA. Biko ANIOMA is a modern term with no historical significance coined in the 50's
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 10:15pm On Oct 24, 2011
igbo boy:

alj harem, abeg anioma is not an ethnic group,  Those of us from Delta North historically never called ourselves ANIOMA. Biko ANIOMA is a modern term with no historical significance coined in the 50's

Very correct sir, Biko bros no beg o this I already know grin grin

Actually, the quoted the site I got that from wink

anioma is a collection of clans together to be called anioma during the separation from the west in 1950 or so
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by igboboy1(m): 11:46pm On Oct 24, 2011
^^^ So u know book?, CORRECT
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by tpia5: 1:02am On Oct 25, 2011
alj_harem:

sorry I meant Owu people of the egba

the connection i meant was this

HISTORY OF THE YORUBAS
the common saying, " Egba ko I'olu, gbogbo nwon ni nse hi Oba "
(Egbas have no King, they are all of them like masters)

although the egbas have kings now . not too sure

dont know about that, but egbas were originally from ibadan.

tthe last part of the qoute is very true though- probably due to their long association with the british.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by emmatok(m): 1:12am On Oct 25, 2011
About four major Igbo dialects are spoken in Anioma and include Enuani, Ukwuani, Ika and Abor. Other languages spoken are: Ishan, Ozzara, Olukunmi (Old and extinct Yoruba language) and Igala.

Some Anioma Natives

The Anioma region is blessed with abundant human and mineral resources. Oil and other material deposits can be geographically found in the area. Men and women, maany of who have contributed to the social, economic and political development of the country are also of Anioma origin and include the following:
Engr. Isitua Nkem Precious, A Great Industrialist and Entrepreneur
Chief. Sonny Iwedike Odogwu, A Great Business Mogul
Dr. Andrew Azukaego Moemeka
Dr. Cyril Uchenna Gwam, Diplomat, international civil servant and international environmentalist
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the current Managing Director of World Bank
Chief Chris Agbobu, Former Minister Of State for Defence and Agric/Rural Dev. Ministries
Air-Marshal Paul Dike, former Chief of Defence Staff of Nigeria
Professor Augustine Onwuyali Esogbue, The only African included in NASA and Scientist
Professor Buchi Emecheta, London Based Author
Chukwurah Joseph Udeh, Comptroller-General Nigerian Immigration Service
Prof Eric Opia, Former Governorship candidate of Delta State
Mr Jim Ovia, M/D Zenith Bank
Prof. Joy Ogwu, Former Mangaging Director of Nigeria Institute of International Affairs
Professor Pat Utomi, Presidential Candidate and Founder of Lagos Business School
Tony Elumelu, MD of United Bank for Africa
Chief Philip Asiodu, Former Federal Minister
Obi senator Nosike Ikpo, Former Senator of the Federal Republic
Chief Sabastine Adigwe, former MD, Afribank NIgeria PLC
Godswill Obielum, Former Governorship Aspirant, Delta State
Peter Okocha, Governorship Aspirant, Delta State and Business Mongul
Eddy Egwuenu, Distinguished and accomplished banker,Co-founder Zenith Bank
Austine "Jay-Jay Okocha, Former Captain of Super Eagles of Nigeria
Sunday Olise, Former Captain of super Eagles of Nigeria,
Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Former Super Eagles captain and Malian National Football Team Coach
Nduka Ugbade, Nigeria's former football player and the first African to lift the world cup
Demas Nwoko, Prominent Sculptor of Nigeria
Jude Chukwudi Dike, energy economist and prominent youth leader
Dr. Newton Jibunor, The famous Sahara traveller
Nduka Odizor, Former Lawn tennis Player
Bonny B. N. Umeadi PhD, Technologist and Inventor of Micro/Nanosensor Devices to monitor oil and gas pipeline system
Dr Uche Honnah, President of Anioma, USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anioma_people
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by eastOFwest(m): 2:09am On Oct 25, 2011
Gosh! You guys are so obsessed with tribe. All this plenty culture and tradition, what does it do for us? Can we bottle it and sell? Can't we just call ourselves NIGERIANS and get on with trying to fix that hell hole where we live?

1 Like

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by odumchi: 2:23am On Oct 25, 2011
The majority of us haven't reached that level of thinking yet. Culture and tradition are perhaps the only areas left in this country where a poor man can calmly enjoy his rights.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by noiseless: 10:42am On Oct 26, 2011
Spot on,and certainly not when someone is throwing everything he/she (alhj_harem) could lay his/her hands on only to make igbos the subject of a daily topic in a negative way on nairaland
odumchi:

The majority of us haven't reached that level of thinking yet. Culture and tradition are perhaps the only areas left in this country where a poor man can calmly enjoy his rights.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aribisala0(m): 10:52am On Oct 26, 2011
sadly a lot of people persist in the ignorance of calling THEMSELVES "TRIBES"

i seriously suggest people take about 15 minutes to investigate what the word "tribe" actually means.

Certainly the yorubas are not a tribe

the sub-group egbas,ijebus,ekitis are NOT tribes.

let us educate ourselves a little
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2011
@Noisless and Odumchi

Why are you 2 bring Igbo to this matter

when did Olukumi become Igbo or are u 2 blind to read what the Obi of ugbodu said ?

Whether they are igbo or not is NONE OF MY BUISNESS AND NOT FOR THIS TOPIC

educate yourselves a bit and learn to know history and ethic groups, If you do not want to, then you 2 should not be on this thread because it clearly was not meant for you 2.

Since none of u is Olukumi, then leave and stop putting Igbo in every single thread on Nairaland. I don tire
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Chyz2: 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2011
alj_harem:

@Noisless and Odumchi

when did Olukumi become Igbo or are u 2 blind to read what the Obi of ugbodu said ?

educate yourselves a bit and learn to know history and ethic groups, If you do not want to, then you 2 should not be on this thread because it clearly was not meant for you 2.

Since none of u is Olukumi, then leave and stop putting Igbo in every single thread on Nairaland. I don tire

The people who YOU call olukumi are igbos, period. Google them and see if they have any site of people from those areas you are claiming arent Igbo and lets see if they say they are not or that they are yoruba. Quit deceiving yourself.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2011
Chyz*:

The people who YOU call olukumi are igbos, period. Google them and see if they have any site of people from those areas you are claiming arent Igbo and lets see if they say they are not or that they are yoruba. Quit deceiving yourself.

And so

this thread is not about igbo in general but olukumi. yes they are igbo and i have not disclaim that in any form.

or have i ?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 10:24pm On Oct 26, 2011
@OP "what took yoU So Long"!!!

Is this even REAL?This has to be one of those nollywood stories. 
Interestingly, Nollywood are world leader's in the filming industry.

teach!
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 10:34pm On Oct 26, 2011
Amujale:

@OP "what took yoU So Long"!!!

Is this even REAL?This has to be one of those nollywood stories. 
Interestingly, Nollywood are world leader's in the filming industry.

teach!

what took me so long for what ? smiley

do u have any question concerning the Olukumi people ? smiley I would be willing to answer
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by odumchi: 11:11pm On Oct 26, 2011
alj_harem:

@Noisless and Odumchi

Igiri apulagi?

Or are you just looking for someone to pick a fight with. The last time I said anything regarding this thread was atleast 3 days ago and I was speaking about Ika. Are you delusional? Don't ever bring me up randomly like that again.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 11:23pm On Oct 26, 2011
You should know now, is anyone thinking of presenting the "Lukumi is Yoruba" rave thru the correct channels; present this to the population. Outside of religion what does the average day person stand for?

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 11:43pm On Oct 26, 2011
Amujale:

You should know now, is anyone thinking of presenting the "Lukumi is Yoruba" rave thru the correct channels; present this to the population. Outside of religion what does the average day person stand for?

My brother, hmmm sorry I don't really understand what you are saying smiley

But if i am correct, You are talking of the olukumi representation in yoruba and what they stand for this modern day.

Well, Right now I think the Olukumi are now anioma Ibos and as such can not really have representation to present day yoruba people. Majority of them bare names like Emeka and co

What they stand for these days is mainly the FG presence in Ugbodu town. according to the facebook forum discussion among them, They don't really care about there culture now. They are more of less looking for the development of there region. smiley

To find out more, you can discuss with them on this forum

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ugbodu-Community-Forum/137266232994904

I hope that answers your question, If no please make it clearer smiley smiley thanks
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 12:43am On Oct 27, 2011
Topic  suggest Olukumis is an old Yoruba Language [size=5pt](sic) [/size] Yes? Present the linquistic  relationship through to our Ministry of Education. . .  Friendly advice, the notion that Olukumi brings up isnt that old and at the same time it   isnt something many  havent heard of before; we are aware of the Lukumi people and as the language relates to its Yoruba connection.

Its simply indeed . . .  We needs official clarification

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by lakal(m): 12:58am On Oct 27, 2011
Olukumis speak a Yoruba dialect. I don;t know if anyone is arguing that they are now Yorubas.

Ironic. If it was an Igbo-speaking enclave in Edo State or Ogun State, wouldn't there be members of the "Nairaland Igbo Mafia" (as differentiated from real-life Igbos, who are quite reasonable) claiming them for Ndiigbo?
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 1:22am On Oct 27, 2011
lakal:

Olukumis speak a Yoruba dialect.  I don;t know if anyone is arguing that they are now Yorubas.
What is the official line?

We are aware also of those born out of a "yorubic!" phenomena similar to the  one that gave birth "semitic" in linguistics, liturgy and or ethnology. 

The Global African Presence: The African presence in the Americas by Dr R Rashidi (sic)
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 10:55am On Oct 27, 2011
Amujale:

Topic  suggest Olukumis is an old Yoruba Language [size=5pt](sic) [/size] Yes? Present the linquistic  relationship through to our Ministry of Education. . .  Friendly advice, the notion that Olukumi brings up isnt that old and at the same time it   isnt something many  havent heard of before; we are aware of the Lukumi people and as the language relates to its Yoruba connection.

Its simply indeed . . .  We needs official clarification

oh i see,
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by adamaw2tuf: 11:08am On Oct 27, 2011
I have realised that you a yorubaman/woman cos i'm not sure if you a man or a woman,you have allowed your bloody ignorance to make you keep dancing all over the place in your stuborn/foolish quest to win arguiments at any cost.Well when you said in your first post after the main topic,that onitsha/onicha is a corruption of orisha in bini/yoruba, then i thought that you would be intelligent or man enough to know or accept that it has a thing to do with igbo in general and you know very well what you are up to.
alj_harem:

@Noisless and Odumchi

Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
Lets put things into their proper perspective

There seems to be different forms of Lukumis;

Olukumi in an Edoid context

Lukumí from an Afro-Caribbean(sic) perspective
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by aljharem3: 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
Amujale:

Lets put things into their proper perspective

There seems to be different forms of Lukumis;

Olukumi in an Edoid context

Lukumí from a  Yorubic Afro-Cuban (sic) perspective

Olukumi is not in edo context because Olu has no meaning in edo (not sure)

Lukumi is a corrupt form of Olukumi
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by Amujale(m): 3:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
alj_harem:

Olukumi is not in edo context because Olu has no meaning in edo (not sure)

Lukumi is a corrupt form of Olukumi

Bendel et al = edoid languages - these terms pre-date todays cartography

Analogicaly, the Edoid canon and the Afro-Carribean canon are not the same.
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by noiseless: 4:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
I suggest you start your study which you ve' turned into more of a lecture,the connection between egba in ogun and igboland and do that as someone who wants to know the truth and not just what you would like to hear,and do it without your usual bigotary here on nairaland one way or the other,although i wont bet my penny that you would ever do without starting fire.BY THE WAY I FOLLOWED YOUR CAT AND MAUSE RUN WITH CHYZ*
alj_harem:

@Noisless and Odumchi

I
Re: Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu by agbotaen: 4:11am On Nov 18, 2011
many people seems to think language is what makes a person to come from a particular tribe, but in reality language can change due to wars, migration, business and trade , drought and migration of other people.
2. you will also have to look at a Peoples culture, way of life religion and arts to know who they are.
3. then a people have to tell you who they are by themself ,they need no outsider
4. all the tribe in nigeria as it stands today are creation of the british, around 200 years ago,there was no yoruba or hausa or igbo tribe, what you have were groups and villages or towns, but as the british came many groups wanted political power so they formed political unions caLLED tribes or ethnic groups and alligned.
5. formerly we did not have ijo tribe ,what we had was kingdoms like opobo , brass etc, but they later united
6. formerly there was loseness in tribal afiliation,but after the british came it became iron clad , you are either edo or igbo or ijaw.
7. it is not language only that brings a tribe together ,but shared ancestory and a common goal, yorubas are tied mainly by believe that they are children of oduduwa, that is their ralying point, i am an ika man what rallying ancestor do i have with some one from igboland ?
8. ika people are diverse but majority of them believe that benin is the land of their ancestors .so this benin issue joins ika together like our kingship, culture and way of life that is tied to benin , although there are some ika cultures that are from igbo, but the ones from benin are more ancient and deeply respected like the igue festival celebrated by the oba of benin and ika monarchs like agbor, owa, umunede, abavo and some others.
9. we acknowledge our igbo heritage by some names which our people bear like nduka,emeka and others,but we also know that all our fore fathers names or family names are edo names like in my family from owa , these are some of my ancestors names igbedigi, ozolua, ewuare,omigie,ovwiagbon, ugbebor,agbontaen,ohormi, ojezua,osuhon and others coming way down from about 800 years or so .
10. our language the ika language which have been assulted and has undergone lots of changes due to pressure from neighbouring towns that are not ika,and the british govt, we are now trying to salvage it,so that it will not detoriorate beyond where it is today.
11. after careful analysis we know that ika language is a mix of edo and igbo,plus indigenous languages,. i know some will disagree,
12. igbo words ------------------------------------------------
1. eka- hand
2. onu- mouth
3. imin- nose
4. nti- ear
5. uku- leg

13. edo words in ika
1. okpan-----------plate
2.palmoil- ofingbon
3. bell ----adza
4. aza---------- bank
5. ukpe-----------light
6. oldwoman------odede
7.oldman--------------edionma

words that are indegenous to ika
1. saka---------------------- i can
2. masaka---------------------------- i cannot
3. egilegbeshi-------------------- is it true
4. eshi-------------------- true
5. erira-------------------it is

so in making sentences you will find a string of both igbo and edo words like-
1. okpoho ni lalani ri a du ihian ile ikpa wu aduaran , onyen saka kwondon e no bihia kor a -----------------------------------this woman that is punching every body is a giant who will hold her and not let her go .
2. dodo wehe ni nedi m ,ofungbon hun ri imen okpan ri mmughe odede------------------ please take the palm oil that is in the plate in my mothers room to my father
3. oken-oba ni lalani kikeni ,siko da shia nim eri imen ogua ogiso -----------------this old man that is coming is going to stand as a witness for me at the kings court.

so that is how ika language is strung together now as there are some edo and igbo words joined to make a sentence , but we know which words are igbo and those that are edoic.

the present king of agbor , he no longer uses obi title , but is called dein of agbor is kiagborekuzi , his fathers name was ikenchuku gbenoba,his was was obika gbenoba, and obikas father was aigbobu,and if you trace back again you will see names like agbonzegbe, igbenijie,akina as agbor rules in ancient times , so this are still benin names.so the present king name is kiagborekuzi and family name is gbenoba.
these are some of the names of the kings that have ruled owa kingdom----------------------------edogun/odogun, igbedigin,ewuare, ozolua, orghogbua, okundaiye, obaigbena and the present one is efeizomor (these are all bini names)
but the point is that ika people are their own people .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

32 Crowned Obas In Ibadan Is Just A Joke Carried Too Far — Olubadan / A Nairalander Honours Late Oba Of Benin, Shave His Hair. / Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.