Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State (9251 Views)

Building Collapses In Mile 12, Lagos, One Dead ( PHOTOS) / Storey Building Collapses At Sabo Yaba (photos) / Building Collapses In Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi, Four Injured, Many Trapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by cchampme(m): 11:25pm On Oct 26, 2011
A building collapsed in maryland bus stop opposite the Brt. The building is located directly opposite the former offices Channels television in the Maryland area of Lagos.

LAGOS – There was pandemonium yesterday as a six-storey building located at 11 Aderibigbe street in Maryland area of Lagos collapsed.

An eye witness told Vanguard that at about 3.30 pm occupants of the building heard a loud noise which shook the building violently leaving cracks on the walls.

The building, Photo: Sahara reporters

It was gathered that all the occupants of the building were evacuated when there were signs the collapse was imminent and they all gathered outside watching until the building gradually started giving way.

Three officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority, LASEMA, who arrived the scene before the building collapsed at 6.30 pm had cordoned off the Aderibigbe Street and restricted movement of people and vehicles.

Over ten different companies were occupying the building before the collapse which included Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria, CITN, SCIB Nigeria and Company Limited, Okay God Investment Limited, Klear Concept Limited, Global PMG Ltd Jira and Associates amongst others.

The building before it collapsed

More than 300 staff of the companies were seen scampering for safety when they heard a loud slam coming from the building. It was gathered that no casuality was recorded in the incident.

Source: http://www.latestgists.com
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/six-storey-building-collapses-in-lagos/

Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by spyder880(m): 12:17am On Oct 27, 2011
Any pictures, can anyone of us in Lagos cover this so we can look at the probable causes?
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Fidelo726: 9:17am On Oct 27, 2011
The causes of building collapse are numerous and cannot be determined by pictures but by professional investigation and analysis.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
Fidelo726:

The causes of building collapse are numerous and cannot be determined by pictures but by professional investigation and analysis.
May GOd bless you for this answer,
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Daiquiri: 1:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
@OP
Cowboy builders
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Tonyfrom: 1:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
Before the Fall smiley smiley smiley smiley

Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by KacHemNaU(m): 1:19pm On Oct 27, 2011
Thank God nobody died
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Natasha2(f): 1:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
thank God there were no casualties 
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by rareman(m): 1:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
I saw this happen, it was in two phase, I thank God no life was lost. I even took the picture of the two phased collapse, I ll get the pix later
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by ezme(m): 1:56pm On Oct 27, 2011
Poor engineering the cause I believe
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by ochukoccna: 2:07pm On Oct 27, 2011
Just saw this on the news now
Gosh!
To think I had a flat tire 20 meters away from that same building yesterday around 1pm shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
As Natasha said, thank God no one died. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by 1forall: 2:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
rareman:

I saw this happen, it was in two phase, I thank God no life was lost. I even took the picture of the two phased collapse, I ll get the pix later

Would like to see your pics
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by atasteve: 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
Haaaa, this bad constructions again. sad
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Okijajuju1(m): 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2011
Causes of collapse:: Shoddy contractors, cutting corners at every twist and turn, sub-standard materials, poor calculation and weight and support distribution by the building designers and architects, bad foundation, e.t.c,

Point is someone needs to be in jail,
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by bros12345: 2:59pm On Oct 27, 2011
First time Nigeria got safety of lives right? Thank God!
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by mallorca(m): 3:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
bros12345:

First time Nigeria got safety of lives right? Thank God!
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Fidelo726: 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2011
In my opinion, as long as a contractor is not supervises by an external third party supervisor, the story of collapse building will never end.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Abujabir24: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
i leave in maryland. I saw it falling. No casualties though. Only dat d collapse sounded like earthquake.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by lynxnoon(m): 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
Abujabir24:

i leave in maryland. I saw it falling. No casualties though. Only dat d collapse sounded like earthquake.
better call experts to check ur building oh grin grin . . .
.just kidding . . . .lol
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Okijajuju1(m): 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2011
But in all fairnes and for safety purposes, all high risers in the surrounding environment needs to be checked out for structural defects that may have been caused by the tremor from this collapse
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by corporate(m): 4:42pm On Oct 27, 2011
we thank God for everything oooh, poor reconstruction.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by dayokanu(m): 4:46pm On Oct 27, 2011
Abujabir24:

Are you sure you are not the cause of this collapse?
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by moremi2008(m): 4:56pm On Oct 27, 2011
When was the building built? cHINEKE!
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 27, 2011
Now everybody claims to have seen it falling and none managed to shoot a video with their phone but they would rush to Youtube to view videos uploaded by others.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by andyanders: 6:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
I have phobia living or entering any house in Nigeria that is more than a floor. It is better for you to buy your materials to build your house by yourselve than contracting these half baked contractors here in Nigeria. You give them money, they look for substandard materials to use for you so that they can make much profit/or steal you dry and build their own houses. I have had an experince with some of these people. They suck
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 27, 2011
When a buildin collapses, no one thinks of the architect, ℓ☺ℓ, usually the problem is with not following the design, or an outright bad design, makin computers completely take over the function of ur brain, Anywayz I wud like to sell my wears, I am a civil engineer dat can give u accurate an concise designs contact me on 08101672511, hope I dnt get banned for this ℓ☺ℓ,
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by obailala(m): 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
So with all the camera phones around, no one could get a live video? angry angry
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:09pm On Oct 27, 2011
I wonder if this will ever stop in Naija.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2011
Some more pics,

Taken today.

Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2011
More.

Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by mekaboy(m): 8:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
god is merciful
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:48pm On Oct 27, 2011
In Nigeria, we construct Reinforced Concrete Framed Structures.

Problem is, we use portal frames, made up of only Columns and
Beams, bearing the Slabs and Walls.

So, like in the picture, what happens is that the central Columns,
which are subject to greater loading than those closer to the perimeter
(edges) are more susceptible to failure.

What we need to do is to introduce RC Shear Walls to serve as the core
of the Buildings. They traditionally house the lift wells and conveniences,
so we don't need to pass pipes through the Columns and Beams as is
the current practice.

Of course, the magomago wey contractors dem dey do na anoda
wahala,

I wish NSE and COREN can be empowered to carry out unscheduled
visits to construction sites to enforce adherence to Building Standards.

Plus, the practice of making Reinforcement Bars out of old, rusty metal
scraps doesn't help, either.

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Unit 2 Bedroom Block Of Flats Design - One Plot / Start Building With Just 30% Initial Deposit. Ask Me Where And How? / A Time Will Come When A Cheap Land Of #2.5m C of O Will Be Selling 4 25m #video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.