Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Creative Ways To Get A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Creative Ways To Get A Job (9140 Views)

Is It Real?Just got a Job Invite / AT LAST! Got A Job Through Nairaland. / "I Need a Job" Threads & Resume Posting Welcome Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creative Ways To Get A Job by NaijaPosh(f): 9:27am On Oct 27, 2011
In an economy where the competition is tighter than ever, it is important that you take on geurrilla tactics to stand out from the rest.

Sometimes I ponder, and try to articulate how I got to this point in my life. I guess I really never thought about it till I sat down to write these words. On May 8th 2010 I graduated from a small historically black institution called Bethune Cookman University. I had the opportunity to go to a more known school but I opted out because I received a full scholarship to attend BCU.

I took all the steps in the right directions to secure a great job after I graduated. I joined one of the best sororities in the world Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. I was in the honors program, and president of the honor society for my major. I even was the only one granted at my school an internship at Target for their executive leadership program, and despite all these great things it was not enough.

Once you get in the real world thousands will be just as competitive as you are. They will have all the right accolades with good grades, internships, and members of great associations. In this tough economy you must rise above the occasion to do something that will make you stand out, that will make a person say wow I must hire that person.

After graduation I was applying to countless jobs. A lot of times they will email me back, “great resume” or “come in for an interview”, but it seem nothing could stick. So I took a chance and took a summer internship with a small company called Partnership I did not get paid, but the experience was tremendous. Not only did I acquire the skills to write proposals, but I also learned more about the emerging markets and the global world around me. After a summer internship I felt that I was prepared to move on to a paid position. This is how I arrived at my current job, The Whitaker Group. The Whitaker group is a premiere business advisory firm, consulting US companies who want to expand to Africa. I knew this place would be my dream job, but I also knew that same dream would hold true for many others as well. I thought to myself how can I get my application to outshine others, and finally I came up with the idea. I did my research on the company and wrote a cover letter that reflected that. After I put together the cover letter, and resume I bought a beautiful coffee mug and a pretty pink bag for it to go in. I folded up my resume and cover letter and placed it in the cup and then took the present to the office. I dropped off the present in person and told the secretary this present is for the CEO and just let her know it was from me.

After a few hours I got a call from The Whitaker group, and they told me they wanted to interview me right away. I had an interview with the human resource manager in my, and then I was told the CEO wanted to see me. As I sat down in her office she looked at me and said, “I normally do not meet the people being interviewed, but I just had to meet the girl who was creative enough to send me her resume in a form of a gift” Then she proceeded to say. “I wish you all the best and maybe I will see you soon”. A week later I was told I got the job, and now we fast forward to February, and I am still here doing very well. I am not saying this technique may work for everyone, but sometimes extreme measures have to be taken in times such as these. I leave you with a few pointers to take away with you as you are venturing out for employment.

• Always do your research on the companies you are applying for. It is good to research these companies because if you are granted an interview with a manager, they will be impressed when you have an extensive knowledge of who they are and what services they provide.

• Always include a cover letter with your resume. A cover letter can showcase some areas the employer may have not been able to see in your resume.

• Think of out of the box ways to get employers attention. Even if you do not go my route of obtaining a job leave them with a catchy phrase at the end of your cover letter or even personally deliver your resume and cover letter to the company in which you are applying for.

• It is okay to take an unpaid internship for a short period in order to gain experience. If your situation allows it take a few months to do an unpaid internship. Sometimes these internships give you the most experience and it can lead you to a paid position.

• After an interview send a thank you letter. Most people do not send a thank you letter after an interview, and this can be another way to stand
out from other applicants. Tell them thank you for interviewing with me and then highlight something that was discussed in the interview.

• Lastly never give up. With the economy changing and the workforce getting more competitive, getting a job will be tougher. If you attack your job search with the right attitude sooner or later the RIGHT job will be yours!!!

http://chikauwazie.com/2011/10/25/jobs-are-not-handouts/
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Acidosis(m): 9:51pm On Feb 02, 2012
The language most people understand is CONNECTION
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by lifestyle1(m): 9:56pm On Feb 02, 2012
Must I look for Job ? can't I create Jobs ? undecided
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by 2great: 10:13pm On Feb 02, 2012
Good post! You sure have helped someone here.God bless
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by strangest(m): 10:18pm On Feb 02, 2012
Spiritual connection and human connection sad, that's for this area o
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by maclatunji: 10:20pm On Feb 02, 2012
Chika Awuzie is one shrewd lady. There are some nice tips there. My own advice is for you to have a parallel plan for yourself. If you are looking to work in the private sector, the companies you want to get a job with are profit-oriented, so why not be profit-oriented yourself? The better you become at making a profit for yourself, the more attractive you become for prospective employers.

Always seek to create value and not how to make quick money. Creating value takes a longer time than just 'earning your daily bread'' but over time it pays massively.

When you are still working on that concept or idea that you know is sound but has not yet reached maturity and fears plus doubts arise, know that the foundation of a skyscraper cannot be the same as that of a bungalow. In the end, you will most probably tower above most of the rest with a smile and silent nod of satisfaction that says- Glory be to God, I made it!
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
Nice post. It certainly helps to be proactive, innovative, and persistent - especially in desperate times such as when one is searching for a job. Even though nothing is more important than connection in Nigeria when one is looking for a job/contract, creativity and persistence can produce unbelievable results with luck on your side. One thing people fail to realize is that 'connection' isn't always about who your parents, uncles, aunties, pastors, and neighbours know: it's also about who you make an impression on along the line.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by victorazy(m): 10:23pm On Feb 02, 2012
@ ife_style:
Must I look for Job ? can't I create Jobs ? 
Well said. I never search for work but work search for me.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Emmzalon: 10:36pm On Feb 02, 2012
Nice one! Neva knew creativity should be enhanced wen it cums to job application, bt above all lemme deliver an addition: JOBS SHLD BE DONE WIDOUT AN EXPECTANCE OF SALARY,DO UR JOB AS IF U DNT GET PAYED AT ALL,WID DAT NOTION;BREAKTHROUGH IS NEAR!
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by bigfat05: 10:38pm On Feb 02, 2012
na wah
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Akwasi(m): 10:40pm On Feb 02, 2012
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by bigfat05: 10:42pm On Feb 02, 2012
please write about how a unilag graduate /or uni- ben graduate job seeker can be creative in getting  a job in Nigeria
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 10:45pm On Feb 02, 2012
Yes, creativity is very important these days. I work as an HR professional at a research institution and you will be surprised how many applicants we get for one job. Some jobs get thousands of applicants. Realistically your resume will not look any different then the next one. It also is easier for managers to pay attention to a resume they get in front of their face rather then shifting though hundreds of emails. If you want tips about how to make your resume stand out you can go to my transcript that was on twitter today #HireNaijaChat http://tweetreach.com/reports/2431648

Also if you have questions I am more than happy to answer  smiley
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 10:48pm On Feb 02, 2012
FYI my name is no longer naijaposh it has now changed to Naijacareerist
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Lucy001(f): 11:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
Nice write no doubt, but in today's society, as a fresh graduate one needs to think of creating a job for his/her self, reasons are that the job are not just there for its teaming populatn.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by gocnig(m): 11:27pm On Feb 02, 2012
life_style:

Must I look for Job ? can't I create Jobs ? undecided
u are right man, dats our tinkn, and am already doin it.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 11:31pm On Feb 02, 2012
Well there are jobs but the issue is the graduates do not have the skills that employers are looking for. Already they are projecting that 60% of the jobs will require 20% of the skills that are available. Schools need to have better prepping programs for students to prepare for positions as well as career development in order to be present yourself in interviews.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 11:33pm On Feb 02, 2012
Here is the correct link to the first post made http://naijacareerist.com/2011/10/25/jobs-are-not-handouts/
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by sniperwolf(m): 12:14am On Feb 03, 2012
Send Naija employer THANK YOU LETTER?
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by Naijacareerist: 12:16am On Feb 03, 2012
yes because it is unexpected. Most people will be shocked by it and no one will look down on a thank you note, and make you be remembered among the employer
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by unphilaz(m): 5:56am On Feb 03, 2012
@maclatunji
appreciate this view
¡
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by unphilaz(m): 6:04am On Feb 03, 2012
@maclatunji like your view
"for
prospective employers.
Always seek to create value and
not how to make quick money.
Creating value takes a longer time
than just 'earning your daily bread''
but over time it pays massively.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by exalt2009: 8:08am On Feb 03, 2012
Pls i will love to knw how to apply for intenship with a company, how can one knw some company or private body that needed for intenship applicant
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by ProfJYK(m): 8:47am On Feb 03, 2012
nice write up, it sure pays to stand out by being creative but I think d mood of d recipient at the time plays a role and Lagosians/Nigerians r always cranky might not appreciate your creativity.
my own experience; I noticed most interviewers flip over my cover letter and go straight to d CV attached behind. I have been asked "y r u giving me a LoveLetter when what I need is ur CV" I was once called "sabinus", and in one situation, the cover letter was crumpled and used to show me his rainbow shot.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by slimshady1(m): 8:59am On Feb 03, 2012
thanx a MILLION. Qtite educative nd motivational. Lukin 4ward 2 ma dream job in chevron in d future. Cheers
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by AjanleKoko: 9:24am On Feb 03, 2012
This is really nice.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by maclatunji: 9:32am On Feb 03, 2012
Prof JYK:

nice write up, it sure pays to stand out by being creative but I think d mood of d recipient at the time plays a role and Lagosians/Nigerians r always cranky might not appreciate your creativity.
my own experience; I noticed most interviewers flip over my cover letter and go straight to d CV attached behind. I have been asked "y r u giving me a LoveLetter when what I need is ur CV" I was once called "sabinus", and in one situation, the cover letter was crumpled and used to show me his rainbow shot.

It is very important to note that the OP's story cannot be adopted as it is for the Nigerian environment because most people who are in a position to screen job applicants are either feeling insecure about their position or very arrogant. However, the concepts of creativity, self-development, focusing on your goals that the article contains can be adapted to fit our situation. You have to be able to think differently- I read somewhere that it takes at least 10 years to be truly successful at anything. If this is true, then a fresh graduate needs to be humble and strategic in his/her reasoning, so as not to experience serious disappointment in the future.

Some jobs offer good salary, others have offer great opportunities for self-development, entrepreneurship offers you the opportunity to make your own path in life instead of others doing so for you. Whatever you decide to do, have a clear objective, work hard at achieving it and make modifications where necessary- eventually you should be fine with some patience and perseverance.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by AjanleKoko: 9:46am On Feb 03, 2012
maclatunji:

It is very important to note that the OP's story cannot be adopted as it is for the Nigerian environment because most people who are in a position to screen job applicants are either feeling insecure about their position or very arrogant. However, the concepts of creativity, self-development, focusing on your goals that the article contains can be adapted to fit our situation. You have to be able to think differently- I read somewhere that it takes at least 10 years to be truly successful at anything. If this is true, then a fresh graduate needs to be humble and strategic in his/her reasoning, so as not to experience serious disappointment in the future.

Some jobs offer good salary, others have offer great opportunities for self-development, entrepreneurship offers you the opportunity to make your own path in life instead of others doing so for you. Whatever you decide to do, have a clear objective, work hard at achieving it and make modifications where necessary- eventually you should be fine with some patience and perseverance.

Hmm.
Still doesn't mean that one should not learn from this testimonial.
The truth is, everybody in Nigeria tries to target the same places - oil companies, banks, telcos, and the like. With all the attention focused on these guys, it is inevitable that they would be arrogant and spiteful to applicants.

I like that the lady volunteered for a nonpaying position. I would like to see Nigerians do more of that. Rather, you find IT students searching for a position that will pay them. I always wonder, if you can pay 300k at NIIT for Oracle training, why can't you just go and volunteer for a job where you can learn about Oracle hands-on, and ask not to be paid?

We certainly need to change our orientation.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by maclatunji: 9:47am On Feb 03, 2012
$lim$hady:

thanx a MILLION. Qtite educative nd motivational. Lukin 4ward 2 ma dream job in chevron in d future. Cheers

This is the kind of thinking that prevents people from achieving their true potential. Your success as a professional is not tied to a particular company. Somebody started Chevron as a business, what makes you think that you cannot start a company that will be bigger than Chevron.

Even if you get to work at Chevron, I can assure you that you will not achieve much with this your mindset. If you have a creative mindset, you will stand-out within the organisation because your superiors would like you to generate new ideas to drive the business forward instead of you waiting to be given instructions on what to do and after that how to do it.

Mark Zuckerberg could have happily continued his education at Harvard and dream of working as a Google employee but he saw the need for people to socialize online in a way that Google did not recognise and filled that niche. Today he runs the greatest threat to the survival and continued growth of Google as a company which of course is Facebook.

The key factor in Zuckerberg's success was/is his thinking.
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by segunjowo(m): 10:06am On Feb 03, 2012
Good topic. shocked
Re: Creative Ways To Get A Job by mikerob116(m): 10:07am On Feb 03, 2012
Great piece here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FRSC Recruitment Form Is Out! / 7 Ways To Know That Your Job Is At Risk / Who Knows Owppin Limited In Ogun State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.