Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,759 members, 7,806,077 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political (4936 Views)

Kashamu’s Issue Not Political – Fayose / PDP To Fashola: Profer Practical Not Political Solutions To Electricity Issues / Jos Crisis Religious, Not Political - Ecwa President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Iolo(m): 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2011
Have spoken to tons of people, heard people's statements and I think the majority of Nigerians are only waiting to get a chance to enter a position of power.

A guy from the grassroots get to become a councillor and everyone expects him to build a house and have a fleet of cars. If he's still broke @ the end of his tenure, people call him a mumu.

Political parties besides the PDP are also corrupt. We are not measuring levels of corruption or how much they steal versus the work they do, but the very fact is that the majority of opposition parties are not democratized and are still involved in corrupt practices.

So what's the way forward?

Fighting corruption has to involve changing the way we think as a people too.

1 Like

Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by danjohn: 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
You hit the nail on the head. Nigeria does not only need political and industrial revolutions. We also need a cultural revolution.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Horus(m): 3:55pm On Oct 27, 2011
Iolo:

Have spoken to tons of people, heard people's statements and I think the majority of Nigerians are only waiting to get a chance to enter a position of power.

A guy from the grassroots get to become a councillor and everyone expects him to build a house and have a fleet of cars. If he's still broke @ the end of his tenure, people call him a mumu.

Political parties besides the PDP are also corrupt. We are not measuring levels of corruption or how much they steal versus the work they do, but the very fact is that the majority of opposition parties are not democratized and are still involved in corrupt practices.

The Government is the innocent mirror of the nation. The quality of government and its leaders, is simply a reflection of the collective consciousness of all the people in Nigeria. In some instances, leaders who came to power as the champions of anti-corruption have themselves been charged with being involved with levels of corruption even more serious than those of their predecessors. If the collective consciousness in Nigeria is disintegrated and negative, and people are not behaving in accord with Natural Law, then problems and corruption will be an unavoidable phenomenon of governments. If, on the other hand, the collective consciousness in Nigeria is positive, integrated, and coherent, then governments will not be influenced by any negativity. If the people in Nigeria wish to be protected from corruption in governments, then they must create an integrated collective consciousness. Positivity and harmony should be so strong and dense in national consciousness that negative influences cannot penetrate it.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by udezue(m): 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
You are so correct. It is a cultural problem. We have to change our corrupt mentality. Even outside of Nigeria, some Nigerians no matter how many years they have been outside in the West or elsewhere they import their corruption from Nigeria to their new residence.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Sunofgod(m): 4:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
. . . . I've seen 2/3 year old children who are already very corrupt.

But its what they are taught and what the pick up from the environment they are in.

Must, if not all of us were brought up and either saw or participated in corruption. For example, the paying of bribes is a way of life in Nigeria.

But we like to point at anothers corruption - and ignore our own.

If we start today teaching our children how not to be corrupt, maybe in 50-100 years time Nigeria will be free of it.

But that's only if we collectively agree and commit to it - something that will never happn. (until i take over - grin)
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Freiburger(m): 4:07pm On Oct 27, 2011
danjohn:

You hit the nail on the head.  Nigeria does not only need political and industrial revolutions.  We also need a cultural revolution.  
So with what culture will you substitute the preset one?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Sunofgod(m): 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
. . . . infact, corruption in Nigeria may have now become a genetic trait.

Its been around for quite a few generations and now may have become encoded into our DNA.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Funkymallam(m): 4:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
U cudnt v said it beta, its wit us, we castigate and criticize our leaders, while most of uf if given d opportunity will do worst.
Imagine, just getting a political appointment and all ur family, xtender family, in-laws, towns men and women, friends and foes, all depend on u for one favour or d other.
I can still remember, while in sec sch, about to write waec, some of my classmates being given money by their parents to bribe invigilators, i used to b supprised. This happened long time ago.
Later @ d university, my common hostel president embezelled the money we contributed for NEPA bill.
Infact, i just heard a story of a lil pri sch pupil, dat smuggled her exams home, while d siblings help her write dem, only for her to smuggle it bck to sch, but was caught.
We need revolution indeed!
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by KacHemNaU(m): 4:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
Whether corruption is cultural or political, its needs to be addressed and it has to start from the top of the food chain
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Freiburger(m): 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
Sun of god:

Its been around for quite a few generations and now may have become encoded into our DNA.

So what's your position is it a political, cultural, or a DNA problem?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Muntula: 5:12pm On Oct 27, 2011
Stealing from the government is not really evil to the people living in Nigeria. In the early days we used to have a European (British) as the DO (District Officer). In those days if you stole salt, or a goat, or yams, or any other property from someone in your own village you were immediately ostracised. Sometimes you would be paraded naked thru the village or community.

However if you were able to take the same thing ( salt, goat, yams, knife, spoon or fork, clothes  etc (ANYTHING!!!) from the white man , the DO the British man, the oyibo. If you could take it and return home to your village with it you were praised and hailed. You were called a man. You were given a title. A chieftancy title for being able to steal from the white man.

That culture/tradition is still with us. Steal from outside but do not steal from your own people.

The Federal, State and Local Governments are seen as representing the British (oyibo) District Officer. Also the Senate, House of Reps, and State Assemblies. They ALL are seen as belonging to the oyibo or to another village. And because of that the president of this country can lie to us, kill us, cheat us, use the national money (meant for electricity projects) and give it to personal friends. That is why his friends are given billion dollar contracts to repair refineries and they do nothing about it.

We still have this mentality that "The Government is and Outsider". That is the root cause of what you call corruption. The contractors who dont carry out their jobs, the Senators and Reps who dont care about creating good laws the leaders who are all scheming how to "STeal the Distrcit Officers goat and kitchen utensils" they all have not gotten it into their minds that this time the District Officer is no longer an oyibo.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Muntula: 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2011
Iolo:

,  I think the majority of Nigerians are only waiting to get a chance to enter a position of power.

The average Nigerian will not steal from his brother, nor steal from his village. He would not bat an eyelid to steal from the next village. Positions of power are the quintessential symbol of the other village, the very embodiment of the hated and feared British Colonial master. If it was not wrong to steal from the British Colonial master when he was trading and running his company (United African Company, Northern Protectorate, Southern Protectorate) when he was here,why then should it be wrong to steal from the company (Nigeria) that he left behind?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by gascoign1(m): 5:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
It is a cultural problem however our politicians are taking advantage of that to practicalize the culture very well,
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by revomind(m): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
KacHemNaU:

Whether corruption is cultural or political, its needs to be addressed and it has to start from the top of the food chain

Simple.
That's why we elect leaders. Leaders are supposed to make tough choices. If we are an indolent people, we will not elect someone as leader to simply come and make us more indolent. When people are afraid, they look up to leaders for courage and inspiration.

We have weak institutions. That's why our corruption seems endemic. I'm afraid its not cultural.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Muntula: 5:40pm On Oct 27, 2011
revomind:

Simple.
That's why we elect leaders. Leaders are supposed to make tough choices. If we are an indolent people, we will not elect someone as leader to simply come and make us more indolent. When people are afraid, they look up to leaders for courage and inspiration.

We have weak institutions. That's why our corruption seems endemic. I'm afraid its not cultural.

Exactly.In our collective sub-conscious we are defering to those who we say as more capable of stealing from the white man. An by golly we as a nation have got it right. Our leaders are the most efficient and ruthless of stealers( AKA thieves, politicians).
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Freiburger(m): 5:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
gascoign1:

It is a cultural problem however our politicians are taking advantage of that to practicalize the culture very well,
I can't get you . So your culture encourages stealing. And is that what the politicians are taking advantage of? come on break it down, i just can't get your point.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
Someone once said there are two types of people in Nigeria - those that are corrupt and those that are waiting to be corrupt.

I completely agree. We have thrown away our values system. Please let us not blame our leaders; our leaders are just a reflection of our society so it is not their fault, rather it is our fault. So ask the average Nigerian if he wants to change the satus quo? He will tell you "after I chop my own" then we can change.

Corruption begat corruption and now it is endemic. Unfortunately, most Nigerians dont have a conscience any more, we don't even know what is bad. Even our religious institutions directly or indirectly encourage corruption. Infact corruption is not longer corruption. The only evidence of God's blessing in our society is the car you drive and the size of your wallet.

We will need a very strong and fearless leader to get us out of this mess and it will take a looooong time!
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by buzor(m): 5:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
THIS IS JUST IT - I WAS DISCUSSING WITH MY FRIENDS IN UNIBEN. AND ASKED, IF U BECOME LECTURER, LL U COLECT BLOCKING AND LL SLEEP WIT FEMALE STUDENTS, SOME ANSWERD AFFIRMATIVE TO BOTH WHILE REST INSISTED ON ONLY BLOCkING. EVEN ME AM NOT SURE OF MY ANSWER. GOD HELP NIGERIA,
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Genius100: 6:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
Iolo:

You are absolutely correct. This is the same conclusion I came to last time I visited Nigeria.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Outstrip(f): 6:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
It is a cultural problem
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Muntula: 6:07pm On Oct 27, 2011
Nashville:

Someone once said there are two types of people in Nigeria - those that are corrupt and those that are waiting to be corrupt.

No. Nigerians are just reacting to the trauma of having their kith and kin caught as animals and sold off into slavery. The District officers were the supervising slave dealers. Stealing from them was a natural backlash. In the second world war citizens of countries occupied by the Nazis felt it was their inalienable right to steal and cheat and kill the German occupiers. What you call corruption in Nigeria is only the reaction of the citizens to the brutality and inhumanity of the slavemasters turned colonial masters.

I completely agree. We have thrown away our values system. Please let us not blame our leaders; our leaders are just a reflection of our society so it is not their fault, rather it is our fault. So ask the average Nigerian if he wants to change the satus quo? He will tell you "after I chop my own" then we can change.

Of course.Make him chop. Why. Because na de oyibo man start am!!!

Corruption begat corruption and now it is endemic. Unfortunately, most Nigerians dont have a conscience any more, we don't even know what is bad. Even our religious institutions directly or indirectly encourage corruption. Infact corruption is not longer corruption. The only evidence of God's blessing in our society is the car you drive and the size of your wallet.

We will need a very strong and fearless leader to get us out of this mess and it will take a looooong time!

Wetin be corruption. I beg comot jare!!!

Freiburger:

I can't get you . So your culture encourages stealing. And is that what the politicians are taking advantage of? come on break it down, i just can't get your point.

From your name you sound like a German. I love Germans for their industry, and their engineering. But there are still thousands of people all over Europe who hate the Germans for what they did in World War 2.

What you think or see as corruption can be likened to the Resistance Movements in France and other occupied territories. Now Freiburger do you get the point now?

The Nigerian is reacting to centuries of injustice visited upon him by the British. He has not yet overcome it. That is why when Nigerians go abroad they very easily slip into the resistance/guerilla warfare mode.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Muntula: 6:10pm On Oct 27, 2011
Outstrip:

It is a cultural problem

No. Nigerians are just reacting to the trauma of having their kith and kin caught as animals and sold off into slavery. The District officers were the supervising slave dealers. Stealing from them was a natural backlash. In the second world war citizens of countries occupied by the Nazis felt it was their inalienable right to steal and cheat and kill the German occupiers. What you call corruption in Nigeria is only the reaction of the citizens to the brutality and inhumanity of the slavemasters turned colonial masters.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by umarabu(m): 6:19pm On Oct 27, 2011
Corruption as a great problem of  Nigeria
As a disease, corruption affect every one in Nigeria, so do not even call corruption as a problem but it is a disease, so it exist in offices, market, security sector, agricultural sector, and every sector that is available. so just pray for the success of our nation but corruption really affects us, especially we (students)
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Outstrip(f): 6:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
Muntula:

You are making excuses. My opinion is that you get over whatever you think was done to you
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2011
Sun of god:

. . . . I've seen 2/3 year old children who are already very corrupt.

Sun of god:

What happened to the gene during Buhari and Idiagbon regime? I guess it became recessive by force. grin

Maybe it can be made recessive once again if we have a government that is serious about fighting corruption.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Iolo(m): 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
Nashville:

So true. I sometimes think a dictator that's focused on moving Nigeria forward would be best for us. Woulda nominated communism as well as its propagated speedy growth in China but don't know much about it.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Akiika: 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
Ok guys, every human has the tendency to be corrupt if nobody is watching or there are no consequences for it. The disrespect for the rule of law is the issue. If the law is enforced to stupor, then people will refrain from sharp practices. That's why we need to get it from the top, if the legislative arm can promulgate good anti-corruption laws, the executive are commited to enforcing it and the judiciary is unbiased, then problem is solved. Let there be capital punishment for corrupt public officials and the society will adjust itself. There are more terrible humans here in the western world, but they are careful of what they do because they understand the law is not a respecter of anybody. When public officers are made to resign for alleged infidelity in the western world, our legislooters are been supplied with glorified prostitutes in Abuja constantly.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by ORMORT: 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
true talk
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Iolo(m): 7:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
revomind:

Simple.

Weak institutions. That's our problem as a country. Its not necessarily people (they may help built it)who make up strong institutions but the very fact that an institution is a system that has a life of its own.

Sometimes blaming our leaders too is a bit pointless. I had a lecturer who got into our school newly. He's a disciplined man and never wanted to take bribes. We the students gave him a session and by the next he had bent his rules to start taking money. Why? His mates had bot cars, built or started building houses with the money they were collecting.

This leads me to belive that not all of the 774 LG chairmen, 36 governors got into position with the mind of being corrupt. The hear of their mates in other places stealing and getting away, relatives, friends, agberos, chiefs all asking for their share. What does he do? Loot, settle and keep the rest.

My point is how do you begin to clean up a rotten system without wiping it out and starting afresh. And without dictatorship cause in a democracy such things can be very difficult to achieve. Am not sure any country has done it successfully.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Iolo(m): 7:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
Akiika:

Ok guys, every human has the tendency to be corrupt if nobody is watching or there are no consequences for it. The disrespect for the rule of law is the issue. If the law is enforced to stupor, then people will refrain from sharp practices. That's why we need to get it from the top, if the legislative arm can promulgate good anti-corruption laws, the executive are commited to enforcing it and the judiciary is unbiased, then problem is solved. Let there be capital punishment for corrupt public officials and the society will adjust itself. There are more terrible humans here in the western world, but they are careful of what they do because they understand the law is not a respecter of anybody. When public officers are made to resign for alleged infidelity in the western world, our legislooters are been supplied with glorified LovePeddlers in Abuja constantly.

I like what you just said. But here's my point of view.

You're talking of a system that can bring about change by itself. Supposedly from the top hierarchy so that others below will follow. But here's the problem - Nigeria is a democracy. And believe it or not, the President doesn't hold absolute power.

If you have corrupt people in power (NASS) how do you get them behind your reform agenda (to their detriment since no more money to chop).

Humans are actually naturally corrupt. But in the developed world you can never steal illegally and get away with it. There do have legitimate ways to make money (Lobby - oyinbo legistators can take millions from corporations legally.)

How do you make this change? Cause right now, Nigerians are waiting for a stroke of luck/God's intervention.
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by manmustwac(m): 7:57pm On Oct 27, 2011
@post
If corruption is cultural and not political dose that mean that our ancestors were corrupt before the British brought civilization when they started to colonize us in the 1800s?
Re: Corruption In Nigeria Is Cultural And Not Political by Iolo(m): 8:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
manmustwac:

@post
If corruption is cultural and not political dose that mean that our ancestors were corrupt before the British brought civilization when they started to colonize us in the 1800s?

Our ancestors were definitely corrupt and greedy. Without both there wuda bin no slavery in the first place. Cause everybody would have stOod their ground and said No.

The white's were not taking our people by force, slaves were sold for foreign goods.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Declare War On The Partisan And Biased Moderators On NL Politics Section!! / Biafra : India Government Invites IPOB Coordinator For Talk-pics / FG Pledges To Partner GPBN Towards Eradication Of Fake News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.