Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,467 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Abandoned Football Matches - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Abandoned Football Matches (3051 Views)

. / Top 5 Draw Football Matches For Today / Top 10 Websites To Watch Live Football Matches on PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abandoned Football Matches by aswani(m): 6:50pm On Oct 28, 2011
Has anyone ever been in a stadium when the match had to be abandoned for whatever reason? It has happened to me on 2 occasions:

1) Stores Vs NEPA circa mid 80's
This was a National League Division 2 match at Onikan stadium that was packed over an hour before kick off.
Stores had dominated play from kick off and even missed a few chances. Against the run of play NEPA scored about 15 minutes or 20 minutes into the game. Immediately, rumour started circulating the stadium that the NEPA keeper had some juju on him and there was no way Stores were going to equalise.
Stores fans must have believed this as they started pelting the pitch with all sorts of objects having decided the match wasn't with continuing with. Of course the NPF needed no invitation to start firing teagas willy nilly without so much as a word of warning.

1) IICC Vs Stores circa late 80's
This was a National League Division 1 match at Adamasingba stadium between two middle of the table teams.
I remember the stadium had lots of Stores supporters who had made their way over to Ibadan in a convoy of Molue's. There had been baiting and counter baiting between both sets of fans all afternoon. I foolishly stood next to some mouthy IICC fans not far from the Stores supporters and as soon as IICC scored sometime in the first half, all hell was let loose with the Stores fans going on rampage and chasing everyone away. Not surprisingly, our good friends at the NPF needed no prompting to fire off some teargas in our direction.

Happy days!
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by olawalebabs(m): 9:05pm On Oct 28, 2011
I witness one 4 years ago in ilorin. It's a federation match between Enyinba and Nassarawa united. The match was abandon due to the murky nature of the field due to heavy downfall during the 1st half and half time period
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by olawalebabs(m): 9:08pm On Oct 28, 2011
I witness one 4 years ago in ilorin. It's a federation match between Enyinba and Nassarawa united. The match was abandon due to the murky nature of the field due to heavy downfall during the 1st half and half time period
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by stagger: 3:41pm On Oct 30, 2011
I played in one in the State Challenge Cup prelims with my school. Gave a good account of ourselves until the referee (who suddenly started acting as if he had been bribed to side the other team which was playing in the Nigerian Premier League at the time) awarded a controversial penalty against us in the last minute.

I guess the state government was embarrassed that the team (name withheld), which was currently topping the NPL at the time was being matched by a university team. Of course, the cultists in our school needed no invitation to invite mayhem on the pitch and the match was abandoned.

My school paid severely at the hands of the state govt in several ways that year.
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by DonJoey(m): 6:41pm On Oct 30, 2011
Only IN a local leagea,
My street vs another
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by Ibime(m): 7:43pm On Oct 30, 2011
Yes, I was coaching U-13 team in 2006/2007.

We went for one match where we had 10 players + 1 player who forgot his ID card.

The ref would not let the player play as he forgot his registration ID meaning we had to play 10 against 11.

Regardless, my boys went 3-0 up.

Then the ref started giving the other team penalties, one for an innocuous challenge and another two penalties for "ball to hand" incidents.

The other team came back to 3-2.

Next thing I know, the ref gave another penalty for one silly "ball to hand" incident.

That's when I asked my boys to walk off the pitch.

The local FA gave us 3 point suspension plus £100 fine. grin
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by gascoign1(m): 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2011
really?
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by phuckNL: 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2011
aswani:

Has anyone ever been in a stadium when the match had to be abandoned for whatever reason? It has happened to me on 2 occasions:

1) Stores Vs NEPA circa mid 80's
This was a National League Division 2 match at Onikan stadium that was packed over an hour before kick off.
Stores had dominated play from kick off and even missed a few chances. Against the run of play NEPA scored about 15 minutes or 20 minutes into the game. Immediately, rumour started circulating the stadium that the NEPA keeper had some juju on him and there was no way Stores were going to equalise.
Stores fans must have believed this as they started pelting the pitch with all sorts of objects having decided the match wasn't with continuing with. Of course the NPF needed no invitation to start firing teagas willy nilly without so much as a word of warning.

1) IICC Vs Stores circa late 80's
This was a National League Division 1 match at Adamasingba stadium between two middle of the table teams.
I remember the stadium had lots of Stores supporters who had made their way over to Ibadan in a convoy of Molue's. There had been baiting and counter baiting between both sets of fans all afternoon. I foolishly stood next to some mouthy IICC fans not far from the Stores supporters and as soon as IICC scored sometime in the first half, all hell was let loose with the Stores fans going on rampage and chasing everyone away. Not surprisingly, our good friends at the NPF needed no prompting to fire off some teargas in our direction.

Happy days!

omo in the 80's ke, them neva born some of us then oo
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by upnaijaDRN: 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2011
that may be too bad for the organizers
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by Shinor(m): 9:55pm On Oct 30, 2011
@aswani. You didn't see Abiola babes V Flaming (Stores) Onikan stadium. Where a stores player kicked the ball from the centre and as the ball headed towards Abiola babes goal, the referee Olanrewaju ( I think that was his name) pointed to the centre without the ball even crossing the goal line. The game was abandoned with both sets of players attacking the referee.
Thanks for the memories.
Remember IICC V Stores in Ibadan. I was very happy that day because sooting fans used to arrogate the monopoly of violence to themselves but when stores supporters INVADED ibadan, Sooting fans bow.
Re: Abandoned Football Matches by aswani(m): 1:28pm On Oct 31, 2011
@shinor
I think someone got stabbed that day at Adamasingba, indeed Stores fans were the most dangerous in the league.
@Olawalebab.
Things have changed, in the 80's it will take a miracle for a game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch. Julius Berger vs NNB around 1988 at Onikan was waterlogged before the match started and must have rained all the way through.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor T.b Joshua Predicts Dat Spain Wil Beat Nigeria 8-0 / Which Of This Matches Would U Consider As England El-classico / Double Ur Money After 10mins Of The Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.