Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,030 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins (48276 Views)

President Buhari Voice Recognition Program - Contest For 50,000 Naira / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest / Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 1:56pm On Oct 29, 2011
[size=13pt]Jajad Wins 1st Prize In Web Programming Contest[/size]
In an effort to discover intelligent, hardworking & available web developers to work on several challenging projects, I’m launching a web application development contest.  The best and 2nd best entries will win ₦70,000 and ₦30,000 respectively, to be paid by direct deposit into their bank accounts.

BACKGROUND:
The Central Bank of Nigeria regularly conducts FOREX Auctions in which they sell dollars from our foreign reserves to strengthen the naira.  The participants in the auction indicate the amount of dollars they want and the exchange rate at which they want to buy the dollars.  The CBN looks through the bids and selects an optimal exchange rate at which (almost) all the dollars for sale in the auction will be bought.  Those who offered to buy at that exchange rate or higher will get the amount they asked for at the chosen exchange rate.  Those who offered less naira per dollar than the chosen rate will get nothing.  The rate at which the CBN sold dollars becomes the official exchange rate.  This is simpler than what happens actually in reality, but it’s the model this contest is based on.

CHALLENGE:
To demonstrate your web development skills, I’d like you to develop a proof of concept implementation of a web-app that the CBN could use to conduct FOREX Auctions as described above.  Members of the public will be able to register as bidders with their real names and confirmed email addresses, and load naira into their accounts to buy dollars in the auction.  They’ll also be able to withdraw dollars from their accounts after successfully buying from the CBN. The CBN governor will have a special account that can be used to load FOREX reserves and then set up auctions where fixed dollar amounts will be offered to the registered bidders. All registered bidders will get an email alert.  At the end of the auction period, your web app will automatically determine the correct exchange rate, transfer dollars to the winning bidders and deduct the naira equivalents from their accounts.

TECHNICAL:
• I need to be able to evaluate your development process, so make sure you use a repo. I prefer HG, but Git is great, and SVN is cool too.  Commits should be frequent and well documented.
• Use CherryPy 3.2.2 (latest version) as your framework, running on Python 3.2.2 (also latest verison)
• Use raw SQL, MySQL 5.5 and InnoDB tables for your data. Don’t use an ORM. Provide the DB schema as a raw .sql file that creates the database.
• Account balances, exchange rates, and all calculations should be accurate to 4 decimal places exactly (not floating point).
• Don’t waste any time on the look in a browser.  Make it look clean and usable, that’s all.

SUBMISSION:
When you’re ready to submit, just send me your source code repository and CV.  If there are issues, I’ll let you know so you can improve your work and re-submit. This is a sudden death project.  Once I get two great entries, I’ll close the contest and award the prizes by bank deposit. Finishing quickly is very helpful, if work is good enough to win a prize.  So it's a race: ready, set, go!

[size=13pt]Jajad Wins 1st Prize In Web Programming Contest[/size]
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by dellnet: 2:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
Why the limitation to a specific language?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Mobinga: 2:38pm On Oct 29, 2011
LMAO. Business man. Doing all that work for N100k and then handing over the work?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 2:58pm On Oct 29, 2011
@dell_net: The restrictions are to ensure that the winners will be people who can work with me on new code, and perhaps work on older projects like Nairalist.  Another benefit is that it will be easier to judge contestants fairly if they're using the same tools. How do you compare a PHP script with Java enterprise beans factories? :-)

@Mobinga: The code is not for my benefit; I'm not a central bank. You can open source your submission and release it on github, bitbucket, or google code.  You can polish your code and present it to the CBN, after winning.  I don't much care  It's just a programming contest to test your skills.  By participating, even if you don't win, you will have added one more item to your CV and learnt a lot about web development.  It's supposed to be a really simple weekend project.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by alpontif(m): 5:39pm On Oct 29, 2011
business man, !, you have to try harder , maybe increase the price to 5 milla,
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Afam4eva(m): 6:00pm On Oct 29, 2011
alpontif:

business man, !, you have to try harder , maybe increase the price to 5 milla,

You have a point there because i know some people will not even develop such application as low as the price money.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 29, 2011
Seun,

Web developers in Nigeria are smarter than you think.

Competitions in web development should give the contestants an opportunity to show their creativity by developing any project of their choice.

What you have listed are business requirements for a project and not a competition. What? All these requirements for a mere N100k

Guy remove the competition tag and ask for bids.

I will do it for N1,800,000. Send your number if interested.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Afam4eva(m): 6:27pm On Oct 29, 2011
Though i think it's an opportunity for up and coming web programmers to prove themselves. The price money shouldn't be a factor here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

This should be easy money for any webmaster with sufficient experience. However, knowing how judgmental and mouthy Nigerians are, I prophesize that all we shall see will be folks criticizing Seun and not stepping up to the challenge. Nairaland so-called gurus, this is your time to shine. By the way, shouldn't this be in the webmaster section?

Easy money? Lol! Its like asking Architects to design a house for a specific piece of land with specific measurements for N10k instead asking for their best designs and saying its a competition.

Seun need the codes. Simples!

Setting up a competition is just a way of getting it cheap. No one will fall for it.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by bakenda(m): 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2011
I don't think it's about 'business man', the OP
is looking to hire and he has set an 'Aptitude Test'
-which requires the skills he's looking for to solve-
for prospective candidates, and even added some
form of motivation (which is not even obligatory).

If you're into Python and interested, just do it.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Princek12(m): 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
I am not a coder so I don't know the demands of this project. I have been, however, appalled by some of the responses on this thread asking Seun to change the contest, that he should change the contest into an invitation to bid, and that he should increase the winning prize.

Money should not be a motivating factor in everything. Prestige, and an opportunity to pad your resume, among others, should motivate entrants to participate in this competition. Imagine how saying that you won a web app contest would boost your self confidence and resume, which may lead to more money.

Even, for argument sake, that the project was a little demanding, the fact that it should be a weekend work (according to Seun) for the chance of winning $1,000 is not too bad.

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 29, 2011
Trust me dude, this project is easy. Maybe not for you. If you can't implement this in a weekend, then you need to reevaluate your skill set. Look at the specification, there is absolutely nothing difficult about implementing it. I am actually surprised that it is this simple.

With all due respect, how about you work on your website http://www.amebopost.com or present a project you have done for us to see and confirm. Instead of playing the Boogeyman and questioning others skill set. what do you think?

To sum it up, 100k is not that much. And not everyone needs a contest like this to prove there worth.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2011
I am not competing - thank you all very much. But i will use mouth to support those competing.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2011
i think the price tag is a joke.

when you tell what language, framework, and task to perform. you might be better asking a RFP
then select who can do the job.
the competition thing may not work as some have already decoded the intent.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by MrWhy1(m): 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2011
@omo_to_dun

@Omo

I understand where you are coming from. Seun may mean well and a bold move on his part. But this is Naija and Nairaland for that matter. Cynicism is the order of the day especially when it relates to issues like this. Some would think maybe you just need the code which is the main doough.

Actually, a more realistic approach would be. What skill set can one contribute to this project and then hear what men would bring forth.

My main specialty is mechatronics(deals with programming robots). I delved into web programming as a hobby and on a project. Will let you know on programming section when it is launched.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by pak: 7:49pm On Oct 29, 2011
Well I support Omo to Dun.

The logic for the app is not going to be the most complex in the world and he has said not to bother bout aesthetic and presentation.
Just focus on solving the problem.

For those criticizing Seun, the operational word in his poser is 'discover'.

I hold a programming Job and this project wont do justice to my time but had it been 7/8 years ago as a student, this would have been a most exciting challenge for me.
And the prize money wont do much harm for a student.

Don t be surprised that at the end of the day, you might not get anyone who will complete the job. yet young people keep crying 'no job'
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by AjanleKoko: 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2011
Well . . . you can see why we're still stuck in the mud in naija.
If we were Indians, this contest would have received like 500k entries by now. Instead, all man just dey talk tough. undecided
Everybody is a self-proclaimed 'big man' in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
The money is not obligatory, it is simply a bonus. What Seun is really looking for is this: hardworking & available web developers to work on several challenging projects. I don't mean to insult you, but did you even read that?

Okay I hear you.  Let CBN start with their official website first by upgrading it to first class level.  It looks too dull and too mediocre.

http://www.cenbank.org/

1 Like

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by fxpro1: 8:07pm On Oct 29, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . you can see why we're still stuck in the mud in naija.
If we were Indians, this contest would have received like 500k entries by now. Instead, all man just dey talk tough. undecided
Everybody is a self-proclaimed 'big man' in Nigeria.
You are very correct,set of proud peeps, Would have love to test my skill but am still a beginner in python

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 29, 2011
Another competition!!!!

Architects in the house. A total of N15,000 to be won. 1st Prize N8,000. 2nd Prize N5,000 and 3rd Prize N2,000

I need a bungalow design to fit into a parcel of land measuring 100x100 square metres.

The house will have 4 bedrooms all ensuite, swimming pool and BQ.

I would also like 3D designs and all the plans submitted by 10 November 2011 so I can evaluate and choose the winners.

The winners will also have the opportunity to work on bigger projects already on the pipeline. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by WhyAWhy(m): 8:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
Nigerians and mouth!!!

If people are that competent enough, just do it and let's see. mschew
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by felifeli: 8:37pm On Oct 29, 2011
Good contest, wrong prize. grin grin
Good for students and industrial trainees I think.
I don't know many self-respecting coders who will even do a decent static site for that amount though,
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 29, 2011
@Omo to dun

Chei, is that CBN? Mogbe o. Ye paripa. LMAO. It looks like it was made by drunks.

Drunks indeed grin grin.    We should first start with the CBN website.   Now check out Africa's other two.

http://www.bog.gov.gh/

http://www.centralbank.go.ke/
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 8:51pm On Oct 29, 2011
Omotodun, abeg change ya font!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 29, 2011
^
LOL. This is the second time that someone has complained about by Monospaced Courier New Font. May I ask why? Is it difficult to read? Does it not render correctly on your device? I would sincerely like to know.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by IbroSaunks(m): 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Actually, that is what I am doing. Working on my site(which is why I will not be participating in this contest). And my site is extremely more harder than this project. I have written an auto compiler that pulls code from the database, analyzes them, compiles them for C, CS, C++, Java, PHP, Perl and Python and uploads the result. By the way, I did not question anyone's skill set, I only said any experienced webmaster that cannot pull this off in a weekend needs to reevaluates his or herself. What have you done?

At least I have amebopost.com, what do you have?

The money is not obligatory, it is simply a bonus. What Seun is really looking for is this: hardworking & available web developers to work on several challenging projects. I don't mean to insult you, but did you even read that?
bro ur scaring beginners like me that have simple php and mysql code with baby gui java as their major achievements so far!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 9:40pm On Oct 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
LOL. This is the second time that someone has complained about by Monospaced Courier New Font. May I ask why? Is it difficult to read? Does it not render correctly on your device? I would sincerely like to know.

Its tortuous to the eyes.

Reading it is like listening to someone stutter.

Unfortunately, u dey make sense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Project Topics In Computer Science / Dr Akorede Kamil Teaches Coding On The Streets Of Ilorin / Game Development: Join The Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.