Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,632 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins (48292 Views)

President Buhari Voice Recognition Program - Contest For 50,000 Naira / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest / Sayo Oladeji Wins N1m In Programming Contest (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by NumberOne2(m): 7:40pm On Nov 06, 2011
More THEORIES, NO RESULTS.
I guess all developers here are big boys that earn over N400,000 a month (which is an obvious lie). Cos if this is a weeks work and 4 weeks are in a month, do the maths.
Shut up and do the job or keep your theories for the pulpit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 7:47pm On Nov 06, 2011
I think Nigerians have a "if i no chop, nobody must chop" attitude to work and play.

I'm Proudly Nigerian, btw.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 11:03pm On Nov 06, 2011
If no one is working on this contest, then I'd like to cancel it, because I'm yet to get any entries.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 11:46pm On Nov 06, 2011
Saw it late (Friday night). Working on it. Maybe I'll win all the money since I'm the only one. smiley
It's an interesting project.
pymysql had some issues with the Decimal field in MySQL 5.5 and I had to change some code in there. Will send a git repo link tomorrow (I hope).
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yamakuza: 12:35am On Nov 07, 2011
jajad:

Saw it late (Friday night). Working on it. Maybe I'll win all the money since I'm the only one. smiley
It's an interesting project.
pymysql had some issues with the Decimal field in MySQL 5.5 and I had to change some code in there. Will send a git repo link tomorrow (I hope).

Are you in Nigeria, or Nigerian?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 07, 2011
That person is likely a pirated I.D or something. The writing style is a tad too familiar for a newbie.

Na wa o, so upon all the mouth you guys don make, nobody fit chest out like King Kong, code the shi.t?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 8:09am On Nov 07, 2011
*dhtml:

That person is likely a pirated I.D or something. The writing style is a tad too familiar for a newbie.

Na wa o, so upon all the mouth you guys don make, nobody fit chest out like King Kong, code the shi.t?
Pirated I.D? And when you say newbie do you mean to nairaland or to Python web programming?
Abeg Seun leave the contest open o. I could use the money. Monday and Tuesday are public holidays. I'm surprised more people aren't attempting it though. It would be nice to have someone to share ideas with.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Tryxo(m): 8:38am On Nov 07, 2011
Hi Seun, I have a special request to make.
I am a final year student of Electronics and computer engineering at the Federal Univeristy of Technology, Owerri. Currently i do only .NET programming that's why I am not able to apply for your python contest.

My request is this, i applied for a young innovator competition organised by an international body CRDF for Asia, middle east and Africa. The name of the competition is Global Innovation Through Science and Technology (GISTech). Contestants are to create a 2minute video presentation of how they can solve a world problem using Sci and Tech.

My idea is geared towards reducing infant mortality in developing countries. The App i propose(i-Solutions), detects pathologies in newly born babies from the cry sound they produce using neural networks.

Next thing is that all competition entries (videos) are to be voted for by public on you tube and only those with the highest votes qualify to the next round.

Please Seun, I am asking that you watch my pitch video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o and if you find it worthy (which i believe you will), please put it on the nairaland home page so that my fellow Nigerians can vote for me to increase my chances of making my country proud.

Please I really need this opportunity to make my idea a reality. I have followed nairaland posts for about a year now and you seem to me like a person who is concerned about helping the Nigerian Youth (and i am not saying this to flatter you).

Please just give me this one chance and watch my video.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by sweetpawn1: 9:45am On Nov 07, 2011
@ Tryxo
Very well done man! Sweet!
I like to say thank you for putting Nigeria on the Global stage in this way. You make me proud!
For you to be in the front page of this forum, you will need to start a thread. I have taken the liberty to create one for you here:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-798089.0.html#msg9497100

People like me will see it and will surly vote for you! I went to youtube to vote and saw that an Egyptian had already voted for you! If someone outside our shores recognizes the value of you work why not us? I see no reason why you should not make the front page!

GoodLuck Brother and once again Thank You!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Tryxo(m): 11:07am On Nov 07, 2011
Oh sweet-pawn, i cannot thank u enough for this kind gesture. I am sorry i had no idea of the process of getting a thread on the frontpage.
I really appreciate this. I have seen the thread, its just perfect!
God Bless You.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by sweetpawn1: 3:07pm On Nov 07, 2011
Don't mention. Anything for a brother -in-code!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by wassolldas: 5:19pm On Nov 07, 2011
just doing this to learn python,

The SQL script and an initial python file can be found at:

https://github.com/jazzyF/auction
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Nov 07, 2011
@wassolldas: Interesting. Good luck!
@jajad: Good luck!
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2011
Still a long way to go sad. But here goes.
https://github.com/jnhdny/testauction
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by yommysomguy(m): 1:22am On Nov 08, 2011
Tryxo:

Hi Seun, I have a special request to make.
I am a final year student of Electronics and computer engineering at the Federal Univeristy of Technology, Owerri. Currently i do only .NET programming that's why I am not able to apply for your python contest.

My request is this, i applied for a young innovator competition organised by an international body CRDF for Asia, middle east and Africa. The name of the competition is Global Innovation Through Science and Technology (GISTech). Contestants are to create a 2minute video presentation of how they can solve a world problem using Sci and Tech.

My idea is geared towards reducing infant mortality in developing countries. The App i propose(i-Solutions), detects pathologies in newly born babies from the cry sound they produce using neural networks.

Next thing is that all competition entries (videos) are to be voted for by public on you tube and only those with the highest votes qualify to the next round.

Please Seun, I am asking that you watch my pitch video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRE0bgAvP_o and if you find it worthy (which i believe you will), please put it on the nairaland home page so that my fellow Nigerians can vote for me to increase my chances of making my country proud.

Please I really need this opportunity to make my idea a reality. I have followed nairaland posts for about a year now and you seem to me like a person who is concerned about helping the Nigerian Youth (and i am not saying this to flatter you).

Please just give me this one chance and watch my video.

Hope to hear from you soon.
i have to say its an interesting video. Goodluck on your competition
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by ektbear: 1:24am On Nov 08, 2011
Seun:

If no one is working on this contest, then I'd like to cancel it, because I'm yet to get any entries.

If you raise the pot of money and/or relax the conditions (ORM, language), then I'm sure you'll get more entries.

Part of the problem is that you are picking a relatively obscure tool chain and also not offering very much money.

So greatly limiting who will be interested.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 08, 2011
^^^^That is very very true
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by engprodigy: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2011
im just seeing the job. though i don't really hv a lot of time i will start working on it
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 1:09pm On Nov 09, 2011
@jajad: this:
#Consolidate user detail queries
def userDetails(email):
results = runQuery("select id, availablenaira,nairabalance,dollarbalance from x_user where email =%s;", (email,))
rr = {}
rr["id"] = results[0][0]
rr["availablenaira"] = results[0][1]
rr["nairabalance"] = results[0][2]
rr["dollarbalance"] = results[0][3]
return rr

Is equivalent to:
def userDetails(email):
return runQuery("select id, availablenaira,nairabalance,dollarbalance from x_user where email =%s;", (email,))[0]
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 2:05pm On Nov 09, 2011
Seun:

@jajad: this:
def userDetails(email):
    results = runQuery("select id, availablenaira,nairabalance,dollarbalance from x_user where email =%s;", (email,))
    rr = {}
    rr["id"] = results[0][0]
    rr["availablenaira"] = results[0][1]
    rr["nairabalance"] = results[0][2]
    rr["dollarbalance"] = results[0][3]
    return rr

Is equivalent to:
def userDetails(email):
    return runQuery("select id, availablenaira,nairabalance,dollarbalance from x_user where email =%s;", (email,))[0]

Not really. Your function returns a list e.g. (1, Decimal('84505353.8900'), Decimal('84528775.0000'), Decimal('30454.2300')).
The first one returns a dictionary e.g. {'dollarbalance': Decimal('30454.2300'), 'id': 1, 'availablenaira': Decimal('84505353.8900'), 'nairabalance': Decimal('84528775.0000')}
I thought it was better to use userDetails()["dollarbalance"] than userDetails()[3].

u.dollarbalance would be cleanest though and hopefully that's where I'm headed smiley
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 3:31pm On Nov 09, 2011
@jajad: Actually, with MySQLdb, the two are actually equivalent because row objects can be indexed like dictionaries, but this does not apply to pymysql. Oops.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 5:59pm On Nov 10, 2011
What's up, guys?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 8:17pm On Nov 10, 2011
Please take a look. Any thoughts?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Nov 10, 2011
Checking out your code. Trying to install mako.
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 8:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
You seem to be making a lot of progress.  Kudos!  How can one test this?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2011
I will try to put it up someplace. Installing MySQL 5.5 on a Linux box might be sticky though. sad
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
Don't worry about that. I have it running on my laptop. How can I set up an auction?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 9:26pm On Nov 10, 2011
Oops sorry! sad Forgot to put a link on the homepage. Please use /createauction. I'm looking for a nice datetime javascript picker. Please enter the date/time in this format YYYY-MM-DDTMM:SSZ e.g. 2011-11-10T20:25Z.
As you can see, it's still very much in progress. embarassed
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 1:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Wow. This was fun!
@Seun. I've made several changes. Please checkout the code again. Thanks.

Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
I've uploaded the code on the net. It can be tested here.
PLEASE remember it is only proof-of-concept. Very little error handling/validation is built in. You can break it!
Everyone, your suggestions on how I can improve it (so I can win Seun's money) are very welcome.

It bruises easily, so be gentle . . . 
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by Seun(m): 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2011
Checking it out. Have you implemented the CBN governor account yet?
Re: Web Application Development Contest: Jajad Wins by jajad: 7:11pm On Nov 11, 2011
Haha. For now anyone can create an auction. What capabilities would you like his account to have, apart from creating an auction? Currently, there's a limitless supply of dollars for sale.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Project Topics In Computer Science / Dr Akorede Kamil Teaches Coding On The Streets Of Ilorin / Game Development: Join The Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.