Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) (8410 Views)

Nigerian Parents And Their Daughters: Hilarious Photo Of The Day / A Nairalander Retakes photo Of His Mum And Siblings After 24 Years / What Is You Spouse's Greatest Flaw? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Abbott(m): 3:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
So, i was thinking, i would have a low-key marriage, registry + a lil party*me, wife, parents and siblings*, all on friday. Sunday next week, bump into a good friend, who is sore he was not informed, i explain and apologise. Ditto for wifey's friends, family friends' wifey and i, office mates and so on. Wont it be a helluva days after wedding + honeymoon to start explaining and apologising?
Would love to read your opinions for or against closed ( very low-key) marriages.
Enjoy!
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by slimyem: 4:11pm On Oct 29, 2011
Your list plus a few important friends and family though, a low-key wedding for me anyday anytime.less trouble,less spending.
One line should do for explanation.here it goes-we just wanted something low-key.simples!
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by iice(f): 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2011
That's what we do in my family. Low key. Next thing people will see na wedding ring for hand without idea how or when it happened grin
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Abbott(m): 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2011
@slimyem Thats right and i agree with you but not when spouse's friend tell some also special friends. That line is good but you will still apologise to senior family friends.

@iice thats what you do! Thats brave, but why is it the norm?
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by iice(f): 4:38pm On Oct 29, 2011
Prolly because i come from a weird family kiss kiss.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Outstrip(f): 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2011
It is your wedding do not let anyone pressure you into anything. If you want you can still sent an announcement but not an invitation. Something more like just letting them know that a wedding has taken place or will take place.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by amtheone(m): 8:48pm On Oct 29, 2011
My guys just go ahead and do ur wedding the way u want it - low key. The most important thing is a successful married life not necessarily world publicized wedding.
I encourage u to kip it low.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by freecocoa(f): 9:10am On Oct 30, 2011
In as much as I'd like a low keyed wedding,I think I want my besty and about 3 other special friends to be present.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by hajifaty: 3:33pm On Oct 30, 2011
love is only between 2 pple. Therefore you should have a low key event and put everything into God's hand.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by duality(m): 3:39pm On Oct 30, 2011
lots of people will keep saying; i want a low key wedding but look at the streets, halls, hotels and churches every Saturday, what do you see? your guess is as good as mine.
lots of ladies are hypocritical about this issue.

1 Like

Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Orikinla(m): 3:44pm On Oct 30, 2011
Marriage is marriage.
We should not marry to throw a party to impress the society and when the party is over, life goes on as usual.

Only fools borrow to wed.

When one of the very few pastors I respect in Nigeria got married, there were only four people at his VERY PRIVATE WEDDING and till date he is still happily married to his beautiful wife and mother of his lovely children.

What matters most in marriage is not even the ceremony, but the sanctity.
Marriage is sacred.

No amount of money spent on a wedding can make a wrong marriage right.

A wrong marriage is when the wrong couples wed.

Like the recent marriage between a popular Nollywood actress which started from adultery, because she was already sleeping with the man before he "divorced" his estranged wife.
How can you marry a man when his home is on fire?
Because he is rich?
If he were a poor truck pusher, would she have married him?

Any marriage based on lust or greed is a wrong marriage.

You can deceive the society with a glamourous wedding, but God knows that it is an adulterous marriage.

Many men and women lie about their past to deceive ignorant lovers into marriage. But the consequences are often grave in the end.

Fake pastors or fake ministers of God also conduct adulterous marriages and no marriage ceremony can hide the truth.

What is the foundation of the marriage?

1 Like

Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by maasoap(m): 3:50pm On Oct 30, 2011
Wise decision but you have to inform your family members beyond your siblings even if it means that they won't attend. Something like 20 people from your side and maximum of 20 from your spouse too should be okay. By the time you listed 20 people, you'll discover that most important people will have been listed. That's what I'm planning to do too, very soon.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by clementcro(m): 3:54pm On Oct 30, 2011
To my greatest surprise, this is the first time I would see females giving in for low key wedding. All the females I have come accros never liked the term low-key, they like taking aso ebi a lot, they like calling their friends and members of the clubs and societies their parents belong to, just because of the money they would get on that day,

I give Kudos to the ladies that have responded positively on this type of wedding,

I also like it, lol, cos it is more economical, LMAO
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by seal777(m): 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2011
Low key wedding is very much appropriate but make sure you are able to convince your wife having her confidence in the process as this is very important.

MARRIAGE IS A TWO WAY THING.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2011
Mine will be high key marriage o. I no dey form for that one.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 30, 2011
iice what does your signature mean?
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by N101: 4:10pm On Oct 30, 2011
@ Abbott - been there, done it, have no regrets. Our families didn't have a problem with it though some would have liked us to change location.  

As for the people who asked afterwards, I simply said it was what we wanted and it was less complicated.  No one questioned me and I didn't feel the need to justify what we did. One big advantage I can tell you about was that we had NO STRESS whatsoever.

If you feel the need to tell everyone who's bank-rolled/financed your life then you won't be having a low-keyed ceremony. If you are adults and your parents respect your decision, it's up to you and your Fiancee to get married the way you want to.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by frenchman2: 4:11pm On Oct 30, 2011
exactly what i'll be doing this december.

as a matter of fact it will be on a wednesday, late morning

when half of the guests (probably 20) will be at work.

to hell with bridal train, and all that crap.

money is not the issue. Just the way i want it to be.

A friend of mine, some years back did same. His uncle then was a governor.

so money wasn't the issue here at all.

I got to know about the wedding that evening. He just called and said sorry oh, this is what happened.

I wanted it that way. make you no vex. Period
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by denny4ril: 4:12pm On Oct 30, 2011
if marriage is going to be a low key marriage, there should be agreement between the couples. Afterall, not all cash should be spent on the d-day only to be broke, looking for money to maintain home
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Maximip(m): 4:14pm On Oct 30, 2011
people saying low-key are not honest

girls are competing when it comes to weddings, they wanna out do each other with effizzy.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Wislet(f): 4:28pm On Oct 30, 2011
whether low or high key, none is a crime. Let's not try to cast aspersions on any,. Christ himself attended a wedding feast. Just cut your cloak according to your size. Marriage is no competition. The world is looking at the marriage, not the ceremony.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by iice(f): 4:29pm On Oct 30, 2011
fellis:

iice what does your signature mean?

Means you can't get blood from a stone
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by mission08: 5:13pm On Oct 30, 2011
@poster. Do whatever is u and ur fiancee are comfortable with. Believe me, no matter how big ur wedding is, some pple will still complain dt they were not informed. At ur planning stage u'll need to be careful and firm cos some pple will advise you based on their selfish interest and what they stand to benefit. Got married few months ago and I tell u, even though we had about 300 guests, complaints were flying here and there that we did selective invitation. Some old friends/classmates that we've lost contact with for donkey years claimed to be left out. Infact, one of them advised that I should have made my wedding a re-union for alumni, not a bad idea but since she conceived it, I wonder why she didnt make hers alumni-get together . So no matter how hard u try, some might still feel offended. So why not to it your own way and be happy
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2011
iice:

Means you can't get blood from a stone
Lol, nice Japanese proverb. Recently began learning Japanese. cheesy

<Abeg, make una ignore my off topic comment cheesy cheesy)
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 30, 2011
Why do you have to apologise for doing what you wished? You married your wife in a style you both wanted. If they can't appreciate your choice, let them eat ice cream and wallow. I plan on having a small wedding myself. I don't think my parents will even be invited. Just three guests. Myself, fiance, and the person performing the wedding lol. I don't like noise and all that stress that comes with living up to people's expectations. It's not their marriage. I'm glad you did it how you wanted.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by pkv(m): 6:58pm On Oct 30, 2011
clementcro:

To my greatest surprise, this is the first time I would see females giving in for low key wedding. All the females I have come accros never liked the term low-key, they like taking aso ebi a lot, they like calling their friends and members of the clubs and societies their parents belong to, just because of the money they would get on that day,

I give Kudos to the ladies that have responded positively on this type of wedding,

I also like it, lol, cos it is more economical, LMAO
no b small ting bro.i no fit shout sef
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Chiamaka321(f): 7:02pm On Oct 30, 2011
It depends.if d couple can afford a high class weddin.y nt?bt a low key wedding isnt so bad esp if finances r low.as 4 me i've always dreamed of a beautiful weddin.nt extremely extravagant bt at least i'd be a cinderella for just dat day.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by Beync(f): 7:28pm On Oct 30, 2011
Low key wedding can be Classsy, Simple and Stressfree, It's no bad idea.
Re: Would You Go For A Low-key Marriage Ceremony? (you, Spouse, Parents And Siblings) by gascoign1(m): 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2011
wedding is more or less a business venture this days and just to show off for people who are going for a high-key marriage ceremony, life after the ceremony is what matters,weather low or high,a marriage that is not destined by the word God will fail,

(1) (2) (Reply)

See As Husband Is Whipping Wife Mercilessly With A Belt (must See For All Ladies / I Like Sex But My Wife Doesn't, Please Advice / Please Help!!i Need Some Life Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.