Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,422 members, 7,808,513 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? (4263 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by udoka2: 8:18am On Oct 31, 2011
I got a text msg from an indigenous oil and gas company for an interview yesterday, There were about 4 different managerial positions to be interviewed.  The interview started by 9am, l left the place by 6pm without being interviewed.  l heard that on Saturday, interview for that day ended at 2am, so it could be so for that yesterday.  however they provided candidates who cannot go home by that time an accommodation.  Why cant we have value for family? can you imagine your wife telling you that she is going for an interview on a sunday and that she will sleep over    This is crazy, NLC has to step into this matter before other coys start theirs.  l heard that yesterday that one nigerian bank also conduct interview at mid night,  God will just help us!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by blank(f): 9:10am On Nov 01, 2011
Access bank is baba at that one. When i was a corp member in PH, they fixed my interview for 2pm. Those that were there for 10am were still there by 2pm. They started the interviews by 5pm. It got to my turn around 9pm and there were still others being intervied after me. Going home that day was just the grace of God. I decided there and then that i did not want to work for Access bank cos it seemed like it was a normal thing for them to work late.

Someone else went for an interview with Access bank in Lagos by 8pm. He said everywhere was bustling like it was still daytime. Wonder what their problem is.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by seedord247(m): 9:12am On Nov 01, 2011
udoka2:

I got a text msg from an indigenous oil and gas company for an interview yesterday, There were about 4 different managerial positions to be interviewed.  The interview started by 9am, l left the place by 6pm without being interviewed.  l heard that on Saturday, interview for that day ended at 2am, so it could be so for that yesterday.  however they provided candidates who cannot go home by that time an accommodation.  Why cant we have value for family? can you imagine your wife telling you that she is going for an interview on a sunday and that she will sleep over    This is crazy, NLC has to step into this matter before other coys start theirs.  l heard that yesterday that one nigerian bank also conduct interview at mid night,  God will just help us!

That's what they call Interconnected Interview. The following actions is going To take place.

Paper Interview. . . . which has already been conducted.

Mouth Interview . . . with wine and some foods or assorted meat.

B&J Interview . . . Blow me under my pant make i give you the Job.

Bed Interview . . . show me what you can do tonight so that i can know if you are fit for the Job.

Don't be surprise to seee your wife as the Branch manager of zenith Bank
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by iaabc(f): 9:21am On Nov 01, 2011
Interview at night ke? Why? Never heard of this before. Well I guess the thing is those people have no life and as such see no reason why others should. God forbid that I wait for such nonsense, because they are inadvertently telling you to expect to have no life when you start to work for them. Tufiakwa!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by eghost247(m): 9:24am On Nov 01, 2011
nonesense
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2011
blank:

Someone else went for an interview with Access bank in Lagos by 8pm. He said everywhere was bustling like it was still daytime. Wonder what their problem is.

SMH, they commence the hypnosis right from the embryonic stage.they want workers whose minds they easily control and manipulate
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 01, 2011
I agree as per access bank. Not fair, my g/f is working for them now and during their interview she always arrives minimum 10pm, and dis is an interview meant 4 2pm. If d interviewers know they will still be working why cant they fix a weekend, and keep to time. I dont blame them this can only happen in naija, cos there are few jobs with 2 many hands.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Tricici(f): 9:58am On Nov 01, 2011
hahahahahaa! My very very 1st job? The interview started around 8pm! I was shocked, almost scared and thought I had messed d whole thing up.
When I got my offer letter around 10pm 2 weeks letter I realized I would b workin in a not-so-usual place grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by deenee: 10:36am On Nov 01, 2011
I think it is all part of the process, though I cannot generalize at this point.

I work in financial services abroad with a bulge bracket PE firm and on the assessment day, 15 people were disqualified because they displayed 'erratic scenes of impatience' and I think that time is the longest that I have had to wait for any appointment (7 hours sat in one place!). Apparently there was a 'camera' in the room filming all we did whilst we waited.

For the competency based interviews, we waited for over 9 hours and then did a scenario exercise by then of which, most applicants were ready to 'walk up a wall'.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by 1forall: 10:51am On Nov 01, 2011
Absolutely unprofessional. Employers go out of line cos they know there is a multitude ready to take their shyte if you're unwilling.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by kayalla(f): 11:02am On Nov 01, 2011
few jobs too may hands

we will survive!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by amtheone(m): 11:21am On Nov 01, 2011
Most of these coys are taking undue advantage of Nigerians youths most especially applicants. It's a reflection of our system. Why should interview billed for daytime suddenly skip into night? So many wrong things are going on in this country.

Pls lets work towards fixing our country back in anyway we can. Very soon this baba of 80s wont be around. That is my opinion.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by atasteve: 11:22am On Nov 01, 2011
How far now, interview in the night. In my own opinion it is not professional at all.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by NumberOne2(m): 11:28am On Nov 01, 2011
Its simply because we don't value time in this part of the world. Even for social events like weddings or birthdays, we come 1 or 2 hours late. Look at civil servants when they go to work. Some get to work by 10am. We are all guilty of this. It called Nigerian Time.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by sleekman(m): 2:09pm On Nov 01, 2011
Abegi! Daytime or nighttime does it matter? See wetin PHCN dey cause to Nigerians. Una no dey go night vigil, winchy meeting for night? So what's different here? You no want job otherwise you for no complain.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Gfavour(f): 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2011
I think in a situation like in Nigeria , where 30,000 applied for jobs 30 vacant posts, employers devise means to prun down the numbers , using diferent strategies. It is not their fault at all; some of them are doing this out of provocation or frustrations.

Let us look inward and engage in little things to help financial demands, Thank God for GSM companies that have now liberalised printing of recharge cards in Nigeria. This business have really helped somany Nigerians (to include me). Today, I have graduated into transfering call credits to my customers who make international calls paying the cheapest rate so far. I only get the lowest price and set my price to my customers in any part of the world.

So instead of wasting your time jumping from one employer to the other, please look into what you can do to help thyself. You want to engage in the global telecommunication business visit and register at WWW.TALKTOOMUCH.NET. You would have a fresh experience as to how you can have a free website to promoto your global international calls
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by udoka2: 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2011
sleekman:

Abegi! Daytime or nighttime does it matter? See wetin PHCN dey cause to Nigerians. Una no dey go night vigil, winchy meeting for night? So what's different here? You no want job otherwise you for no complain.

I am not complaining my brother, l am gainfully employed, thought l dont mind a better opportunity, but DEFINITELY not desperate! I am only concerned of this trend. its better NLC does something about it, before it becomes a norm.
However, even if the interview will run till night, the candidates should be pre-informed.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by dpamcy(f): 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
I had series of interview with a bank at Lagos island and the last ended by 12am and i was so stranded! Please they should look into it! sad
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 01, 2011
That 2Am one, was it a girl that was being "interviewed" ? grin

That is a gross disrespect of people's time though. So totally Nigerian.

<runs off to start another thread>
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by nairapark: 9:53am On Nov 02, 2011
seedord247:

That's what they call Interconnected Interview. The following actions is going To take place.

Paper Interview. . . . which has already been conducted.

Mouth Interview . . . with wine and some foods or assorted meat.

B&J Interview . . . Blow me under my pant make i give you the Job.

Bed Interview . . . show me what you can do tonight so that i can know if you are fit for the Job.

Don't be surprise to seee your wife as the Branch manager of zenith Bank

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by omoadara(m): 10:35am On Nov 02, 2011
Interview at night? What for? I don't really have the experience but that's trash anyway.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Employers Conduct Job Interviews Till Night? by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 02, 2011
Em when going for such interview just get something to keep u busy. Especially a book. Peradventure its a test.
As bad as it is at that stage u need them more than they need u. Such is life.

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Massive Recruitment / Leading Offshore Logistic Company Job Recruitment (6 Positions) / Anyone Got A Job Through Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.