Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab (3251 Views)

Women Who Wear Hijab Can Have A Better Body Image, Study Says / Why Do Muslim Ladies Wear Hijab? / Is It Mandatory For Women To Wear Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 2:03pm On Oct 31, 2011
I saw this on facebook. .wat d'u think

1. How do you breathe?

Through my nose, duh. It’s fabric, it’s made to allow air to pass through it.

2. How do you eat/drink?

Like you do. With my mouth. It’s hidden beneath fabric, I know. However, it still exists and I can find my way quite easily to it, thank you very much!

3. You must be really oppressed by the men in your family.

I am a dual degree holder. I have studied in co-education schools and worked at a software house. I teach at a private sector university and I drive all over the city. If you still think I am oppressed, I am the happiest oppressed person alive.

4. Oh, you can think?

Unfortunately for you, yes, I think. My hijab is not a lead box designed to store radioactive elements. It does not bind my mind. I think, I process information and I also form opinions. A hijab does not warp me into a mentally incapable being.

5. Why do you need to buy clothes other than your gowns and hijabs?

Because there are places where I do take my hijab and gown off. Do you think I roam around my own house like this? Just because I am not showing my clothes to everyone does not mean I don’t need them. I love pretty clothes and I wear them for me.

6. You must have been married by 14 and must be staying home looking after your six children, right?

Wrong. I am happily single, pursuing a career, unlike some who willingly got married in their 3rd year of MBBS, dropped out of your degree and chose to stay home. Even though I might not be better than you, I am not any less than you either just because I cover my face.

7. Don’t you feel hot in the summer?

Don’t you feel hot in summer? It’s 48 degrees out there – everyone feels hot in this weather.

8. Since you are dressed like this, you must be a part of the Taliban.

You are a Shiv Sina activist since you are wearing a sari, no? I hate to break it to you, but I am not part of the Taliban clan. How about we fight them together?

9. You see my hijab and make it a point to convert every discussion into a religious debate.

My hijab might be for religious purposes, but that does not mean you are obliged to start a religion war with me. Opting for hijab is my choice, just like not opting for it is yours. I don’t mind you wearing anything you want to. I also accept the fact you don’t the like hijab. I accept your choice and I expect you to show me a similar level of tolerance, especially when tolerance is what you are ranting about all day long. Please don’t indulge in a religion and hijab bashing debate with me.

So there you have it; I feel unburdened and liberated.

Next time you see someone wearing a hijab, and are confused, please feel for the poor soul and spare her the questions she probably answers everyday. We are real, intelligent people just like your friends. Treat us as equals.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by jaybee3(m): 2:08pm On Oct 31, 2011
@OP
Do u wear hijab?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 2:22pm On Oct 31, 2011
yes I do wear hijab.

1 Like

Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by jaybee3(m): 2:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
nice cool
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2011
hmmmn. . .lol
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
Hijab or niqob?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
dats how it was written. the writer combined both
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 31, 2011
Ok, cos the 1st two questions surprised me n was wondering ow it had to do wv the hijab.

Ow are you?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 4:08pm On Oct 31, 2011
am fine o jare. ow are u too
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Okijajuju1(m): 4:39pm On Oct 31, 2011
No pun intended::

9 Questions I'd ask a Muslim woman wearing a Hijab?

1. Like seriously!! was your childhood dream to be a female Ninja or what?!

2. How do you recognize your friends when y'all are hidden behind a mask?

3. How do you deal with heat-rashes?

4. Do you fart under there?

5. It must have been really easy for you to skip classes as a kid,

6. Do those come in like Gucci's, Fendis or other high end designers?

7. Dont you get tired of wearing the same outfit everyday?

8. How does dressing this way make God happy?

Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
okija, do u believe in God

ur picture. were u smoking weed?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by tpia5: 4:07am On Nov 01, 2011
if you wear hijab are you supposed to be on nl with all those sexuality section posts and stuff.

wont it corrupt your mind, like deols checking out okija's profile picture- what if he'd posted something else there wey go make your body go wen.

the photo is almost veering that way as it is.

besides, I've heard a few unsalacious stories of ladies in hijab and the internet.

very risky, imo.

why not just study religious credo in peace without getting distracted by the many many many enticements of the web.

just so you dont get corrupted and stuff like that, leading to extra purification sessions, etc.

i'm too old to be tripped by that type of thing, so i think I'm safe.

in case anyone was wondering.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Okijajuju1(m): 8:17am On Nov 01, 2011
deols:

okija, do u believe in God

your picture. were u smoking weed?

Heeheheee!!

Question 1: Yes I indeed do believe in God, but not the christian or muslim God.

Question 2: NO!! I was actually in the middle of an incantation when that photo was taken. grin
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Sweetnecta: 9:29am On Nov 01, 2011
@Tpia@; Hijab/Kimah/Niqab, no one of them takes away the sensuality or sexuality of the wearer.

it simple making the place of expressing it, place and condition appropriate.

The outer garment is for Allah. the inner/under garment is your choice; plenty, little or nothing at all.

This is the best form of clothing options a woman can have. And every muslim woman has the option.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 11:14am On Nov 01, 2011
if you wear hijab are you supposed to be on nl with all those sexuality section posts and stuff.

Imagine that a muslim man said this, u would b all over d place claiming they keep they dont want freedom for their women. Is it possible for a muslim woman to visit certain sections and not the others?? yes. In fact, I usually get 2 d romance secion only after the posts get to d front page. Abi u want to say romance is unIslamic?? feel free to ask questions.

wont it corrupt your mind, like deols checking out okija's profile picture- what if he'd posted something else there wey go make your body go wen.

the photo is almost veering that way as it is.

My main purpose wasnt to check his pics. i wanted to c wat he's been up to. The first sight is not a sin abi u didnt know? I might av to start closing my eyes on d street then if am not allowed to c things at all  grin

besides, I've heard a few unsalacious stories of ladies in hijab and the internet.

wat av u heard? dont forget av bn wondering for so long ow come u always know things about Muslims. I believe it is a way of making points. They are hypothesis u wish are true. But without a research, we cant accept them, u know  grin

very risky, imo.

why not just study religious credo in peace without getting distracted by the many many many enticements of the web.

are u scared of me? u want me to stop coming on NL? U are trying to put me at the lowest cadre of the society.

just so you dont get corrupted and stuff like that, leading to extra purification sessions, etc.

am as bad as I can get. thanks for d advice. they are not for me though. do u av female children?

i'm too old to be tripped by that type of thing, so i think I'm safe.

in case anyone was wondering.

how old are you. I hear old women now take estrogen pills.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 12:23pm On Nov 01, 2011
Okija_juju:

Heeheheee!!

Question 1: Yes I indeed do believe in God, but not the christian or muslim God.

Question 2: NO!! I was actually in the middle of an incantation when that photo was taken. grin

were u born into your religion? Is it one at all/ what is it called?

incantation for real. that thing u were holding looks like some weed. and u looked like u were avn d effects of something high. is that part of your
religious process? did u feel high? and what is dat thing?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by tpia5: 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2011
Imagine that a muslim man said this, u would b all over d place claiming they keep they dont want freedom for their women. Is it possible for a muslim woman to visit certain sections and not the others?? yes. In fact, I usually get 2 d romance secion only after the posts get to d front page. Abi u want to say romance is unIslamic?? feel free to ask questions.

of course you're free to visit any section you like.

what I pointed out was doesnt wearing a hijab contradict your being present even on nl.

wearing hijab is supposed to be a protection from contamination by worldliness, right?

isnt looking up male profiles a contradiction here, since you're picking up habits that the hijab is supposed to protect you from.

so what then is the essence of having a hijab if you're freely moving about on nl anyway?

My main purpose wasnt to check his pics. i wanted to c wat he's been up to

we're still saying the same thing.

in the days before nl got sanitized (somewhat), if you check someone's picture, you could find your eyeballs staring at an x rated photo.

just saying.

I mean, there's no way of telling what you'll find?

anyway!! no need for long story.

My point is, being on nl or the web itself, exposes you to a broader worldview than what you want to admit to yourself.

so, just try to widen your horizons somewhat and no, I'm not saying you should be the opposite of what you are.

am i making sense.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Okijajuju1(m): 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2011
deols:

were u born into your religion? Is it one at all/ what is it called?

I am an agnostic/atheist. I used both because in as much as a part of me wants to believe that their is a God, In my mind, I am 95% certain that their isnt one. And NO! I was born into a christian home, was rasied as one and at some point in my life, I actually preached the message of Christianity as a true believer.

deols:

incantation for real. that thing u were holding looks like some weed. and u looked like u were avn d effects of something high. is that part of your
religious process? did u feel high? and what is dat thing?

What I have in my hand is my ofor!! And yes I do smoke weed for its medicinal properties as well as its spiritual effects.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
op, if u stopped wearing hijab in in order for me to see ur beautiful hair, l may become a muslim and then marry u
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Araboy(m): 2:37am On Nov 02, 2011
I hate to see some Muslims  bragging about wearing Hijab or calling for implementing shariah in their dress code or Hudud (punishment) or raiding bars night clubs or arresting call girls by doing so they are reducing Shariah to simply a set of dress code and  punishment but at same time they ignore that Shariah is more encompassing and deals first and foremost with our believe in God human interactions human rights compassion social justice why rush to chop someone head or hand or stone a person or force a lady to wear hijab against her will

Those people may not know the essence of tawhid or how to perform more important religious duties related to praying  fasting etc I see them  nothing but bunch of  hypocrites fronting and Allah called them "Munafiqueen" 
and stated  that they are worse than  the non believers even though they are Muslims !!
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by ayinba1(f): 4:05am On Nov 02, 2011
^^^^
hate? Pretty strong word!
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 4:58am On Nov 02, 2011
Araboy:

I hate to see some Muslims  bragging about wearing Hijab or calling for implementing shariah in their dress code or Hudud (punishment) or raiding bars night clubs or arresting call girls by doing so they are reducing Shariah to simply a set of dress code and  punishment but at same time they ignore that Shariah is more encompassing and deals first and foremost with our believe in God human interactions human rights compassion social justice why rush to chop someone head or hand or stone a person or force a lady to wear hijab against her will

Those people may not know the essence of tawhid or how to perform more important religious duties related to praying  fasting etc I see them  nothing but bunch of  hypocrites fronting and Allah called them "Munafiqueen" 
and stated  that they are worse than  the non believers even though they are Muslims !!

Araboy, I despise to av to talk to you ds way almost all the time. I wonder what your intentions are. Can you be positive for once? or there is something between you and hijab wearing sisters that we dont know about.

Nothing on this post suggests all you av said.No one here has claimed all u said. So what is d point?

Oh and how about those who wear hijab and are good Muslims. Dont u think they are better than good Muslims who dont?
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 5:08am On Nov 02, 2011
Okija_juju:

I am an agnostic/atheist. I used both because in as much as a part of me wants to believe that their is a God, In my mind, I am 95% certain that their isnt one. And NO! I was born into a christian home, was rasied as one and at some point in my life, I actually preached the message of Christianity as a true believer.

What I have in my hand is my ofor!! And yes I do smoke weed for its medicinal properties as well as its spiritual effects.

I would be more concerned about the health implications if I were you. The same reason Islam prohibits it- do u wonder how Islam has something to say of every aspect of our lives??
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 5:24am On Nov 02, 2011
what I pointed out was doesnt wearing a hijab contradict your being present even on nl.

Do u understand what Hijab represents? NO! until u do, pls keep lipsrsealed

wearing hijab is supposed to be a protection from contamination by worldliness, right?

The hijab is a protection for you. IT gives you control over your own body- u can determine who sees what But since it doesnt cover your eyes from seeing, it doesnt protect you from seeing the world. Your legs might be able to help though,taking you only to places of sanity.

isnt looking up male profiles a contradiction here, since you're picking up habits that the hijab is supposed to protect you from.

so what then is the essence of having a hijab if you're freely moving about on nl anyway?

you are getting things wrong, and on a very large scale. Hijab is not meant to keep anyone rooted in a place. It only means that you'r covered when outside of your comfort zone. And like I said earlier, would you close your eyes any time you are walking on the streets because u dont want to c things? No But u can always take ur eyes off anything potentially bad/bad.

we're still saying the same thing.

in the days before nl got sanitized (somewhat), if you check someone's picture, you could find your eyeballs staring at an x rated photo.

just saying.

I mean, there's no way of telling what you'll find?

the issue of checking profiles isnt as bad as u want it to look. I check people's profiles and I avnt ever seen any such thing as u mentioned. I wanted to ask him questions and knowing his background would av helped.I

anyway!! no need for long story.

My point is, being on nl or the web itself, exposes you to a broader worldview than what you want to admit to yourself.

so, just try to widen your horizons somewhat and no, I'm not saying you should be the opposite of what you are.

am i making sense.

well, point is, the hijab doesnt keep u from seeing the world view. It does more of keeping the world's gaze from you. Hijab is a clothing worn by you and not what u cover the world with. I hope u get it now.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 5:50am On Nov 02, 2011
@ Tpia@, is dat u in d link at ur signature, undecided
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Sweetnecta: 10:07am On Nov 02, 2011
Araboy's statement is completely inappropriate. If you are clean shaven [inappropriate statement, but proving a point], no one cares. The women who are wearing Hijab are simply saying they obey Allah's command in this case. I dislike myself in the things I do not emanate obedience in. At least i know it is commandment that I have not obeyed. I am a dhayouth for myself, and my family. My family is also that for me.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by olawalebabs(m): 2:52pm On Nov 02, 2011
Foolish questions, Brilliant answers. @OP Well done
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2011
olawalebab:

Foolish questions, Brilliant answers. @OP Well done

thank u! wink
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by tpia5: 8:48pm On Nov 02, 2011
@ deols

you're only fooling yourself, not others.

if you're wearing a hijab to keep yourself "holy' and to keep the world's eyes off you, then how is clicking on a male profile helping you achieve that.

kind of defeats the purpose of the hijab.

the person whose profile you even clicked on clearly has okija juju as a user id.

what exactly were you expecting to find?

you wanted to know if he was ugly or handsome?

you're not addressing a naive person, thank you.

lets call a spade a spade- you dont have to answer to me or anybody not on your answerable list, so no need to be bashful about such things.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by tpia5: 8:59pm On Nov 02, 2011
Sweetnecta:

Araboy's statement is completely inappropriate. If you are clean shaven [inappropriate statement, but proving a point], no one cares. The women who are wearing Hijab are simply saying they obey Allah's command in this case. I dislike myself in the things I do not emanate obedience in. At least i know it is commandment that I have not obeyed. I am a dhayouth for myself, and my family. My family is also that for me.

well, his user id is araboy, which implies he is arab.

if indeed he is, then at some point in time he must have grown up around hijabbed women, and they shouldnt be an unfamiliar sight to him.

but if you want to teach an arab about islam, then nothing wrong with that i guess.

he's had moments when he was reverting back to strict observance, and he opened a thread or two to encourage the ummah at those times.

maybe the way of the world caught up with him again and i dont doubt he'll sway towards yall's end once more, under your tutelage.

the guy is a bit flighty.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by Sweetnecta: 10:49pm On Nov 02, 2011
^^^^^^^^ is not an arab religion.
otherwise, no non arab will be in it. all arabs would have been it.

and the majority would have been arabs.

and after 911, all non arabs would have deserted it.

you better join up.
Re: 9 Stupid Questions You Hear When You Wear Hijab by deols(f): 4:04am On Nov 03, 2011
@ deols

you're only fooling yourself, not others.

if you're wearing a hijab to keep yourself "holy' and to keep the world's eyes off you, then how is clicking on a male profile helping you achieve that.

kind of defeats the purpose of the hijab.

u can not teach me my religion. u can however let me tell u wat I do and y. Even if am wrong in a way, it doesnt change d fact dat I did it dat way because it is how I understood it. If only u'll give scriptural evidences to your claim, mayb, I'll accept but in d absence of dat, I'll conclude it as d usual, 'out-of-ignorance talks.'

the person whose profile you even clicked on clearly has okija juju as a user id.

what exactly were you expecting to find?

you wanted to know if he was ugly or handsome?

i told u earlier I wanted to c his previous posts. how hard is that for any1's understandn ??

you're not addressing a naive person, thank you.

lets call a spade a spade- you dont have to answer to me or anybody not on your answerable list, so no need to be bashful about such things.

If u knew me well, u'd know, i dont crave any1's goodwill. whatever any1 thinks of me is their opinion- so bashfulness doesnt come in at all. u so much want to make it seem like my purpose was to c his face. U think if I had dat intention, I would ask him bout d picture??

I seriously ddnt evn c more to d picture other than d questions I asked him. If believn wat u do now gives u some satisfaction, pls savor it while it lasts- I really would wish u happy! grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sheik Muhammad Ali Jabata Lecture On Abu Anifa And His Dolal / Zakat Al-fitr: Faqs / This Is Beautiful Jealousy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.