Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,397 members, 7,800,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? (1218 Views)

The Cross: Symbol Of The Accursed Not Christianity / Islam Not Christianity Was The First Perpetrator Of Black Africa Slavery / Testimonies: Face To Face Encounter With Jesus Christ And The Revelations Of Heaven And Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2011
Mahatma Gandhi
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Anne Rice:
My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become"

I'm at this point in my life right now.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by mkmyers45(m): 6:47pm On May 01, 2012
You can...but they want your tithe grin
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 01, 2012
For people who constantly claim the christian God doesnt exist.... you certainly spend an inordinate amount of time working up a sweat about him? grin

Trust me, your problem isnt followers of Christ perse as much as it is a deliberate decision to disobey the commandments of the Lord. The above is just one more in a long list of lame excuses.
The bible does not ask that you follow followers... but that you give your life personally over to the Lord.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by PastorAIO: 6:54pm On May 01, 2012
Yes one can believe in Christ and not in the various christianities as they are now and as the numerous forms that they will continue to evolve into.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by buzugee(m): 7:00pm On May 01, 2012
yup you can and should. what was your position again Chief ? you were an atheist or something like that right ?
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Image123(m): 7:02pm On May 01, 2012
It's impossible to love Christ without loving christians.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by JeSoul(f): 7:26pm On May 01, 2012
Muskeeto whut up?

There are so so many flavors of 'christianity' in our world today, so many different kinds of 'followers' of Christ, each complete with their own tailored rules & doctrines that they use to declare people 'saved' or 'lost'. What it takes is really a constant stripping away of all the garb, religious pomp & ceremonial circumstance and return to the heart of what Jesus Himself really taught as seen in the gospels.

you may find these threads useful smiley. Cheers.

-Faith Is Trusting God, Not Belief In Doctrine https://www.nairaland.com/590298/faith-trusting-god-not-belief
-The Jerusalem Shopkeeper's Assertion: What Really (matters In) Religion https://www.nairaland.com/630006/jerusalem-shopkeepers-assertion-what-really
-Why Evangelicals Should Stop Evangelizing https://www.nairaland.com/720610/why-evangelicals-should-stop-evangelizing
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by mkmyers45(m): 7:28pm On May 01, 2012
Image123: It's impossible to love Christ without loving christians.
Pastor AIO,Buzuge,Jesoul Take note
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by JeSoul(f): 7:32pm On May 01, 2012
mkmyers45: Pastor AIO,Buzuge,Jesoul Take note
Lol cheesy
While that is true, it is even 'truer' to say . . . it is impossible to love Christ without loving christians your neighbor (religious affiliation not specified).
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:17pm On May 01, 2012
You can but you will need a lot of research on your own on the true teachings of Jesus. Start with the apocryphae if you can find any.
musKeeto: Mahatma Gandhi
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Anne Rice:
My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become"

I'm at this point in my life right now.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:18pm On May 01, 2012
No, it isn't.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 3:05am On May 02, 2012
JeSoul: Muskeeto whut up?

There are so so many flavors of 'christianity' in our world today, so many different kinds of 'followers' of Christ, each complete with their own tailored rules & doctrines that they use to declare people 'saved' or 'lost'. What it takes is really a constant stripping away of all the garb, religious pomp & ceremonial circumstance and return to the heart of what Jesus Himself really taught as seen in the gospels.

you may find these threads useful smiley. Cheers.

-Faith Is Trusting God, Not Belief In Doctrine https://www.nairaland.com/590298/faith-trusting-god-not-belief
-The Jerusalem Shopkeeper's Assertion: What Really (matters In) Religion https://www.nairaland.com/630006/jerusalem-shopkeepers-assertion-what-really
-Why Evangelicals Should Stop Evangelizing https://www.nairaland.com/720610/why-evangelicals-should-stop-evangelizing
Thanls a lot..
I posted this a while back.. I'm Agnostic now... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 9:59am On May 02, 2012
Well one can believe in christ and not in christianity because christ gave us no religion the two great commandments which are; love the lord your God with all your heart and soul and strength and to love our neighbours as our selves (matthew 22:35-40).But if we are to be believers of christ and followers of christ then we must act as he acted and here in john chapter 17 vs 20, we find our Lord praying for those who belive in him and others that will believe in time to come so then as followers of christ we must pray for those that believe in him and those who beleive in him are usually called christians i belive.

John 17: 20-26 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am ; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 02, 2012
AS a christian, i will feel better if pastors preach the benefits of accepting Christ as gaining eternal life. There is not much difference btw a christian and a non believer here on earth. Same problems, same misfortune, same struggles, same everything.
There is no special benefit that christians enjoy here on earth. People still die prematurely, still suffer illness, infertility, poverty etc. This is the reason why atheist see christianity as a waste of time as it has no special benefit per se on earth.

I have faced so many shattered dreams and haboured false hopes just because i expected that being a christian is a solution for my problems. Sometimes some problems have no solution and u just have to carry ur cross like every other person. Having false hope is like waiting for Godot.
However, i think the afterlife is what really matters and that is what we should all strive for.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Image123(m): 6:04pm On May 02, 2012
Jenwitemi: No, it isn't.
Well, it's biblical impossible.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:23pm On May 02, 2012
I say that is just BS. Is it biblically impossible that Jesus and his 12 disciples weren't Christians? Because they weren't christians in their days even though they were in the bible. Stop talking nonsense.
Image123:
Well, it's biblical impossible.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Image123(m): 11:15pm On May 02, 2012
Jenwitemi: I say that is just BS. Is it biblically impossible that Jesus and his 12 disciples weren't Christians? Because they weren't christians in their days even though they were in the bible. Stop talking nonsense.
Jesus' disciples were christians. Jesus is the Christ, not a christian.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:51am On May 03, 2012
Disagree. They were jews. And Jesus was actually a jew called Yeshua bin Joseph. Christ is a term used for a state of enlightened consciousness exactly like the term, Buddha is used. They are both epithets used for enlightened beings.

Was Jesus enlightened? If one really explore his teachings, yes, it looked like he was enlightened. So he did earn the epithet "Christ". But can't say the same for his self-proclaimed followers, though, one cannot see the evidence of Christ consciousness in them, at all.

So, it is my opinion that in order to become enlightened like Jesus, one needs to leave behind that which has become THE hindrance, the Christian religion.

The ultimate goal of Jesus ministry on this earth was not for humanity to worship him (that would be EGOTISTICAL of him) but for humanity to achieve the state of Christ consciousness like he did. The state of enlightenment. That, ironically, is exactly what the Christian religion has been preventing over the ages. Working against the goal of Jesus, to be more precise.
Image123:
Jesus' disciples were christians. Jesus is the Christ, not a christian.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:03am On May 03, 2012
And further more, humanity is not supposed to BELIEVE in Christ, but to BECOME Christ, to ATTAIN Christ-hood. The Christian religion greatly hinders this because it does not want humanity to attain christ-hood, thus the advice to leave it behind or else the human desire to attain christ-hood will never be fulfilled and the mission of poor Jesus on earth would have been a total failure.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Image123(m): 3:49pm On May 03, 2012
You're entitled to your opinions if you don't want the Bible's opinion.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by procedure: 5:35pm On May 03, 2012
Christian means little christ and christianity is coined word to mean the religion of little christ. Both names given to followers of christ by non christians. Biblicaly the followers of christ are known among them selves as men of faith and refer to themselves as brethren. Christianity is not a religion it is a life propelled by the holy spirit hence they walk in spirit. Religion is propelled by certain laws, judgements and statutes the muslims have sharia, and service. Religion is a routine, Christianity is based on doctrines.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:37pm On May 03, 2012
One can't be a christ by just being a christian, whether big or little, and neither can one be a christ just by following religious doctrines.
procedure: Christian means little christ and christianity is coined word to mean the religion of little christ. Both names given to followers of christ by non christians. Biblicaly the followers of christ are known among them selves as men of faith and refer to themselves as brethren. Christianity is not a religion it is a life propelled by the holy spirit hence they walk in spirit. Religion is propelled by certain laws, judgements and statutes the muslims have sharia, and service. Religion is a routine, Christianity is based on doctrines.
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2012
Lol.. The Good old days..

Bump...
Re: Can One Believe In Christ And Not Christianity As It Is Now? by MostHigh: 2:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
Most bible scholars agree that the harlot of rev 17 is apostate christiandom.

salvation depends on your faith in the jewish way of life

if you were a true foloower of yashua you would live the way of the jew and not join this bandwagon

yashua rested on the sabbath christians rest on sunday, meanwhile na militay might na in change this most holy law
(constantine)

yashua was not a christian

being jewish is a way of life

christ was a jew not a christian and he even told us categorically that salvation is of the jews john 4:22 pls dont confuse this with christianity a new creation.

Woe unto those that say they are jews and are not but are the synagouge of satan, jews oo not christian rev: 2

The harlot being ecclesiastical babylan (christianity) and the beast is political babylan (democracy,communism,liberation theology ....)

if this is true then there must certainly in the very near future be a destruction of christianity as we know it. The bible cannot lie

also some other references to this destruction

Albert pike (morals and dogma) and the Protocols of the elders of zion if these 2 works plus johns revelation are on point regarding end time prophecy then two thirds of the worlds population will be decimated by the beast, and the false prophet will be completely destroyed so that the beast is worshiped as all and all.

One world government WATCH OUT!

Christianity and mithraism are identical in almost all things (mode of worship,sacred days.....) sun worship hence sunday rest

Nico=victory the bird that sits in the hands of zeus in his temple
Latians=people

Hence nicolatians = victory over the people the separation between laity and clergy (interdinominational) not too long after yashuas departure.

Each with his own doctrine and flock my pastor my pastor..... no one remembering yashua. I once stood outside a church building and heard the pastor chant 'and so oyedepo says' and everyone answering amen.

This was what christ expressly forbade why make another responsible for your spiritual life my pastor my pastor.......

please read about the council of nicea,laodacia and trent and you will have a clearer picture of how christianity was systematically created in the west

Eastern christianity is quite different as they still observe the torah laws apart from blood sacrifice.

peace love and joy!!!

(1) (Reply)

Text Message Alarting Nigeria's Not To Wear Red Cloth Today / RCCG Open Heavens Devotional Tuesday 5 February 2013 SACRIFICIAL DELICACY By Pas / 6 Things Christians Need To Stop Saying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.