Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually (11490 Views)

Universities May Start Charging 1 Million As Tuition Fees --- VC / How Much Is Been Paid In Our Nigerian Universities As Tuition Fees? / Nigerian-students-in-ghana-pay-n155.billion Annually As Tuition? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Afam4eva(m): 6:57pm On Nov 02, 2011
According to the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Malam Lamido Sanusi, 71,000 Nigerian students in Ghana currently pay an annual tuition of N155Billion to Ghana. Meanwhile the whole government budget for all Federal universities in Nigeria annually is a N121Billion.

The CBN Governor was drawing attention to the on-going serious capital flight from Nigeria.

Doesn't this call for a sober reflection? They only mentioned Ghana, what about the thousands of students in Malaysia (I hear there are so many of them there) in Europe, in India, in the US etc, paying trillions of Naira to get quality education. Meanwhile, you will hardly find foreign students in Nigeria. Obviously there's need to reform the education system in Nigeria. So instead of complaining about money leaving Nigeria, they should do something about improving the quality of education in this country, so parents will stop sending their kids abroad.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/10/nigerian-students-in-ghana-pay-n155.html
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by seanet02: 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2011
PDP Has Ruined Our Educational System
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by PointB: 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2011
@Topic,
That's half of the story. Did he give us the figure for foreign students in Nigeria?

Or

NIGERIAS - $10 BN IN REMITTANCES (2009)
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nigerians abroad send at least $10 billion in remittances to their loved ones at home. This amount makes Nigeria the 6th highest destination for remittances according to the World Bank. That also makes Nigeria the top remittance destination on the African continent.

Top recipients of migrant remittances among developing countries
Source: World Bank Blog

REMITTANCES IN THE NIGERIAN CONTEXT
Nigerians are expected to take care of a lot more than just their immediate family. As a result, the average Nigerian family consists of a mother, father, children and many dependents such as in laws, cousins, and sometimes, neighbors. Once a young Nigerian gets a job, and sometimes even before that, he or she must begin to contribute to dependents. For those living abroad, their foreign currency, when changed to local Naira can be a helpful financial addition.

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2009/11/nigerias-10-bn-in-remittances.html
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by ektbear: 7:07am On Nov 03, 2011
Nigerian university education needs fixing.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by angelo234: 9:01am On Nov 03, 2011
Nigerian universities needs,minister of education and the Nigerian university council(NUC) Should serious take a concrete measurement our education,even here in south africa,i am a student of economic in UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA, nobody pay for my school intuition from nigeria.i do support myself.those who are sending billion of naira for intuition to oversea is boasting o ther peoples economy,making his own downside.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Kx: 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
All thanks to PDP.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by DisGuy: 12:23pm On Nov 03, 2011
PointB:

@Topic,
That's half of the story. [b]Did he give us the figure for foreign students in Nigeria?[/b]Or

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2009/11/nigerias-10-bn-in-remittances.html

Will anyone really leave their country to study in Nigeria, the numbers will probably be negligible
millions of nigerian miss out on university places every year as they have no space for them

And nigeria university hardly target foreign students anyway, nothing much to offer i guess
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
@Kx

I don't think PDP as political party is the problem with Nigerian education standard. Just that the university governing bodies are lazy, they don't know their rights to put the necessary mechanism in place to provide quality education. I heard most of the good lecturers are leaving the country in droves to other countries, for the simple reason there are no materials to work with. I was told the Nigerian universities income generated are stolen by the chancellors and associates. I know the Nigerian govt is bad and also to be blamed but the university has not been far from exhibiting the corrupt attitude as well. If there is no standard for the education, the reason to be blamed on that should be the universities - when we know that many of the affluent individuals in the govt kids are in foreign countries schooling.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Claus(m): 12:34pm On Nov 03, 2011
"NIGERIAS - $10 BN IN REMITTANCES (2009)
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nigerians abroad send at least $10 billion in remittances to their loved ones at home. This amount makes Nigeria the 6th highest destination for remittances according to the World Bank. That also makes Nigeria the top remittance destination on the African continent.

Top recipients of migrant remittances among developing countries
Source: World Bank Blog

REMITTANCES IN THE NIGERIAN CONTEXT
Nigerians are expected to take care of a lot more than just their immediate family. As a result, the average Nigerian family consists of a mother, father, children and many dependents such as in laws, cousins, and sometimes, neighbors. Once a young Nigerian gets a job, and sometimes even before that, he or she must begin to contribute to dependents. For those living abroad, their foreign currency, when changed to local Naira can be a helpful financial addition."

In the current circumstances, this is positive and should be applauded.

However, it's worth noting that what is remitted is a fraction of the wealth that Nigerians generate abroad. In an ideal situation where our environment is conducive, the Nigerians that went abroad would remain in Nigeria and generate a 100% of that wealth within our borders.

So the $10bn remitted by Nigerians from abroad could ideally turn into $100bn generated by Nigerians locally if the country had the same opportunities as their host countries.

About foreign students in Nigerian universities, while we may not have the numbers, I'm sure we can all guess that the number is insignificant.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by dinah777: 12:36pm On Nov 03, 2011
Gbam,Good post work on the quality of our education so our students can stay home.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by ezme(m): 1:05pm On Nov 03, 2011
angelo234:

Nigerian universities needs,minister of education and the Nigerian university council(NUC) Should serious take a concrete measurement our education,even here in south africa,i am a student of economic in UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA, nobody pay for my school intuition from nigeria.i do support myself.those who are sending billion of naira for intuition to oversea is boasting o ther peoples economy,making his own downside.

Chairman i hail your written English, hope you can speak well? wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by otumfour(m): 1:14pm On Nov 03, 2011
GHANA ON THE FRONT PAGE AGAIN!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Olaone1: 1:18pm On Nov 03, 2011
Funding is not the problem.

Policy formulation is not the problem.
The FG is not the problem.

The problem with Nigeria is our mentality as a people. Our attitude. Our get-rich-quick mentality. Our propensity to oppress. In Nigeria, you can oppress people with ordinary mobile phones. Even shoes, wristwatches. Everything is upside down out there. Everything is rotten to the core.

Increase the allocation from 122B to 500B and there will be no difference; not even marginal.

Do you expect eggheads to be committed when everyone in the country is corrupt? Just because they are eggheads?

Materialism is the watchword. Religious bigotry. Name it! I mean everything expected of the anally retentive - that's Nigeria! And, that's Nigerians!

The whole system is rotten.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by KacHemNaU(m): 1:24pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ola one:

Funding is not the problem.

Policy formulation is not the problem.
The FG is not the problem.

The problem with Nigeria is our mentality as a people. Our attitude. Our get-rich-quick mentality. Our propensity to oppress. In Nigeria, you can oppress people with ordinary mobile phones. Even shoes, wristwatches. Everything is upside down out there. Everything is rotten to the core.

Increase the allocation from 122B to 500B and there will be no difference; not even marginal.

Do you expect eggheads to be committed when everyone in the country is corrupt? Just because they are eggheads?

Materialism is the watchword. Religious bigotry. Name it! I mean everything expected of the anally retentive - that's Nigeria! And, that's Nigerians!

The whole system is rotten.

Right there with you on this one
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by mkdboy: 1:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
We should first ask him if his children are schooling here in the country. And i feel that the national assemble should enact a law which should stop all public office holder in Nigeria from sending there children out side the country, so that they will face what other citizens are facing over here.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by luvchildon(m): 1:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
angelo234:

[size=8pt]
Bros!!!! Ur English Lecturer, Ur English Teachers, have all messed u up^^^^^
Hope u are not embarrassing Nigerians in South Africa??
& by the way you must be IBO>>>>
[/size]

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Infoseye(m): 1:36pm On Nov 03, 2011
So? Who send then go ghana grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by otumfour(m): 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2011
angelo234:

Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by gaakgaba: 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2011
@angello234. You left nigeria to south africa all in the name of quality education and you have remained worse off. Take a look at what you wrote. You think by the time you are back employers will be carried away by the fact that you schooled abroad? you are just wasting your time, energy and money.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by jfking2005(m): 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2011
The Quality of people determine the quality of their leaders. Forget about GEJ performance and dont expect magic from him because he has been part of us , we celebrate mediocrity, appreciate looters and even defend them few days after he must have left power and given few of us  fair share. Nobody can change the situation except we all decided to change. How many of our leaders today has their children in public school??
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by kholis(m): 1:55pm On Nov 03, 2011
@Angelo234 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by AjanleKoko: 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2011
This story can't be true.
Aren't there just 6 universities in Ghana? There are six universities (public), three private universities, and nine professional institutions. Source: Wikipedia.
Do Nigerian universities generate anything close to 1 billion naira in tuition annually?

Abeg Mallam is talking outta his arse as usual angry
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by buJu234: 1:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
May this nation nor fall soon
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by kholis(m): 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
@angelo234. Nice to know you pay your[b] intuition [/b]yourself. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by AjanleKoko: 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ten thousand Nigerian students (possible, but highly unlikely for Ghana) paying $5k a year is still around $50m annually.
This Mallam is a real head job sha.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by eghost247(m): 2:05pm On Nov 03, 2011
What do u you eXpect
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Olaone1: 2:23pm On Nov 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Ten thousand Nigerian students (possible, but highly unlikely for Ghana) paying $5k a year is still around $50m annually.

Private secondary schools nko?
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Siga: 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2011
grin Omo, i tried to say something here ooo, but couldnt, @angelo234 don kill me with laughter oooo, haba, Aboki, which kain grammar be this now, I beg say something cos I know it will be hilarious as well, we are waiting ooooo grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by chamber2(m): 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
angelo234:

Did you say you are a student of which university

This is the main reason i don't believe in university ranking.

So, your school ranked better than OAU?

I doubt if any Nigerian student/graduate can write this nonsense.

@topic

This is the biggest lie of the century. I have been trying to figure this out to no avail. The figure is cooked as usual. However, this is an urgent call to revisit our school system.

Sooner than later the story may become true.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by AjanleKoko: 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ola one:

Private secondary schools nko?

71,000? You sef, think am now.
Gross exaggeration of the highest order. Private secondary schools boku for Naija.
Re: Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually by Pennywise(m): 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Tuition and living expense for their public med school is twice that

(1) (2) (Reply)

2016 Cowbell Mathematics Competition Top Results/Finalists (round 1) / ASUU Strike: Tinubu Calls For State Of Emergency On Education / Should Religious Studies Be Compulsory In Schools?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.