Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,566 members, 7,801,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly (2372 Views)

States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / Egbin Power Plant Now Generates Above 1,000MW / Egbin Power Plant Now Generates 1,000MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by aloyemeka1: 1:20am On Nov 03, 2011
[size=14pt]Kano now generates one billion naira monthly[/size]
•We’re working at increasing it -Fegge, Internal Revenue boss
From DESMOND MGBOH, Kano
Thursday, November 03, 2011

The Chairman of the Kano State Board of Internal Revenue, Alhaji Habu Mohammed Fegge is not one man to be envied, going by the huge challenges of revenue generation before the Kano State government. But in this interview session, the man who is saddled with the task of changing the face of revenue generation in the Kano State maintained that the board is equal to the task. He spoke to journalists in Kano State on the journey so far. Desmond Mgboh was there.

Sir, how has it been since you assumed office as the Chairman of the Revenue Board in the state?
Let me state that I took over with a lot of problems every where. For now, what I am trying to do is to do is to solve the problems that we inherited when we came in. We are trying to link up things and at the same time, we are trying to improve the level of revenue collection in the state. So, we are now embarking on an enumeration exercise, house -to- house enumeration. This enumeration will enable us to capture tax payers from the Direct Assessment, from Pay -As –You- Earn and from things like Withholding taxes among others.

The former consultants in the state, when their contracts were terminated, they left with all the information and the data base of the board. The data they extracted from here, all the information and the new once they built, they left away with them once their contract was terminated. They shut out all the system. So, what I am trying to do now is to build new information base from the scratch. All these time since I was appointed , all these time from June to date I have been trying to build a new set of records, bringing the lost glory of the board and the staff and at the same time trying to maintain a certain level of growth in terms of revenue collection, which I have been doing.

If you remember, the consultants were making N318 million, N340 million and a maximum of N400, but since I took over in June, it is a different game. The month I assumed office, I collected total revenue of N 622million. In July, I made N 705 million and in August, I made around N800 million and I think by this October , I am heading to One billion Naira or over a billion Naira. But I must tell you my target is not a billion Naira , but something very reasonable that can even be used to complement and cushion the salary challenges of the state government by the grace of God.

What are your challenges in the course of this collection?
I must put on record that we are running the most difficult job in the state. It has not been easy. I have 546 staff and 28 area offices. Yes. But I must say that Government is giving me all the necessary support. A hundred percent support from His Excellency. You see pumping money and equipment and vehicles is not going to help with out the personal support of the government. And I must tell you that Government has given one hundred and one hundred percent support to us. One interesting thing is that we are guided by laws and we are established by law.

The mode of collection is guided by laws and there are other laws that go with our activities. So, we as much as possible, go within the content of the provision of these legislations. That is why we are closing companies and we are closing banks. You will be surprised. Last week, we even brought out the file of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and we found out that the Central Bank had settled all its taxes. Had it been that it defaulted in any form, we would have closed down the Central Bank of Nigeria . I telling you this to show you the power of the law that we have behind us.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/03/national-03-11-2011-005.html
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by meonbooty: 1:38am On Nov 03, 2011
Compared to Lagos' 60 Billion? Half of which goes to Thienubu. Kano needs to step up their game fo real.

Legalize prostitution
Legalize Marijuana
Bring Gambling back
Grant provisional license to kidnappers and drug dealers
Allow people to open Strip clubs and bars etc

These some of the ways they can up their game and generate more money for the stupidddd people of Kano.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by ektbear: 6:45am On Nov 03, 2011
Sounds extremely low for such a populated and important state. Oh well, it is progress, at least.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Otunne1: 7:29am On Nov 03, 2011
this means that kano is not even better imo in terms of igr
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:25am On Nov 03, 2011
Good on them.

Otu nne:

this means that kano is not even better imo in terms of igr

^^^Sorry, how much does Imo generate a month?
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Xfactoria: 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

Sounds extremely low for such a populated and important state. Oh well, it is progress, at least.

Kano's quoted population is fiction! It is never more populated than Lagos but NPC would make us believe the contrary.

You can also see that they lack creativity and drive in that part of the country and that's consistent with Hausa/Fulani's way of life - always contented with little. For example, somebody will travel 4hrs from Kano to Abuja and all he came to do is to sell sugarcane or own a small kiosk. No Igbo man or Yoruba man will try that.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by danjohn: 2:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
Why are so many states in Nigeria so economically unviable?  Most of them sit down on their lazy behinds waiting for Niger Delta oil money at the end of the month.  This is just plain pathetic.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Dede1(m): 3:52pm On Nov 03, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Kano now generates one billion naira monthly[/size]
•We’re working at increasing it -Fegge, Internal Revenue boss
From DESMOND MGBOH, Kano
Thursday, November 03, 2011

The Chairman of the Kano State Board of Internal Revenue, Alhaji Habu Mohammed Fegge is not one man to be envied, going by the huge challenges of revenue generation before the Kano State government. But in this interview session, the man who is saddled with the task of changing the face of revenue generation in the Kano State maintained that the board is equal to the task. He spoke to journalists in Kano State on the journey so far. Desmond Mgboh was there.

Sir, how has it been since you assumed office as the Chairman of the Revenue Board in the state?
Let me state that I took over with a lot of problems every where. For now, what I am trying to do is to do is to solve the problems that we inherited when we came in. We are trying to link up things and at the same time, we are trying to improve the level of revenue collection in the state. So, we are now embarking on an enumeration exercise, house -to- house enumeration. This enumeration will enable us to capture tax payers from the Direct Assessment, from Pay -As –You- Earn and from things like Withholding taxes among others.

The former consultants in the state, when their contracts were terminated, they left with all the information and the data base of the board. The data they extracted from here, all the information and the new once they built, they left away with them once their contract was terminated. They shut out all the system. So, what I am trying to do now is to build new information base from the scratch. All these time since I was appointed , all these time from June to date I have been trying to build a new set of records, bringing the lost glory of the board and the staff and at the same time trying to maintain a certain level of growth in terms of revenue collection, which I have been doing.

If you remember, the consultants were making N318 million, N340 million and a maximum of N400, but since I took over in June, it is a different game. The month I assumed office, I collected total revenue of N 622million. In July, I made N 705 million and in August, I made around N800 million and I think by this October , I am heading to One billion Naira or over a billion Naira. But I must tell you my target is not a billion Naira , but something very reasonable that can even be used to complement and cushion the salary challenges of the state government by the grace of God.

What are your challenges in the course of this collection?
I must put on record that we are running the most difficult job in the state. It has not been easy. I have 546 staff and 28 area offices. Yes. But I must say that Government is giving me all the necessary support. A hundred percent support from His Excellency. You see pumping money and equipment and vehicles is not going to help with out the personal support of the government. And I must tell you that Government has given one hundred and one hundred percent support to us. One interesting thing is that we are guided by laws and we are established by law.

The mode of collection is guided by laws and there are other laws that go with our activities. So, we as much as possible, go within the content of the provision of these legislations. That is why we are closing companies and we are closing banks. You will be surprised. Last week, we even brought out the file of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and we found out that the Central Bank had settled all its taxes. Had it been that it defaulted in any form, we would have closed down the Central Bank of Nigeria . I telling you this to show you the power of the law that we have behind us.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/03/national-03-11-2011-005.html

In a recent report about Nigerian states in financial insolvency and posted on this forum, Kano State led the pack of states in financial disarray. The article concluded with a statement requesting for rearrangement of revenue-sharing formula.

In the aforementioned post, all the listed states were from northern region of Nigeria except Osun State. I responded by calling the story a deceitful and treacherous attempt to lure Nigerians into a doomed sleep so as to get most revenue to northern states in any measure to restructure revenue allocation.

The above post validated my suggestion that states in northern region of Nigeria were not in any form of financial distress. It is all about gimmick such as “educational disadvantage” tag when in fact most positions in Nigeria that required the leverage of education are held by folks from northern region.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by GAR3TH(m): 6:49pm On Nov 03, 2011
Thats only $6,391,822 USD monthly, $76,701,864 a year, this is a real shame on nigeria's part. Suffolk County (local government) in the united states has an operating budget of $2.7 billion (N422 Billion) a year. A local government area in the USA has a larger Budget than an entire Nigerian state why, because it collects it majority of its budget from taxes. I hate comparing but people have to realize the scope of trouble alot of states in nigeria are in. More states in nigeria need to start IGR schemes in order to boost their budgets and stop relying of federal allocations. In reality federal allocations are MEANT TO BE Bonuses for states and not their main source of revenue. I'm glad states are now realizing that they shouldn't just sit and wait for federal allocation, this is a good move by Kano.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by asha80(m): 6:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
GAR3TH:

Thats only $6,391,822 USD monthly, $76,701,864 a year, this is a real shame on nigeria's part. Suffolk County (local government) in the united states has an operating budget of $2.7 billion (N422 Billion) a year. A local government area in the USA has a larger Budget than an entire Nigerian state why, because it collects it majority of its budget from taxes. I hate comparing but people have to realize the scope of trouble alot of states in nigeria are in. More states in nigeria need to start IGR schemes in order to boost their budgets and stop relying of federal allocations. In reality federal allocations are MEANT TO BE Bonuses for states and not their main source of revenue. I'm glad states are now realizing that they shouldn't just sit and wait for federal allocation, this is a good move by Kano.

the should be 'forced' to do so by stopping allocation completely
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Otunne1: 8:32pm On Nov 03, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

Good on them.

^^^Sorry, how much does Imo generate a month?
i cant b 100% sure 4 now, but during ohakims era, imo was getting over 1bn as igr. At a time they even targeted 5bn monthly
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Onlytruth(m): 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
^^
My brother that your name is dicey o! WTF! grin grin
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 03, 2011
I wonder what other states generate.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Sunofgod(m): 9:14pm On Nov 03, 2011
Revenue Generation = Tax the masses?

Okay, I see,

Within 12 months 'Pol Pots' Cambodia will seem like a paradise when compared to Nigeria.
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by ak47mann(m): 9:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
lack of productive brains, whiz-kids are not in existence in those places cool cool cool
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by Blackteeth(m): 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2011
If states start generating their own revenues what will the excess federal revenue be used for? Wouldn't it mean more money available to be looted?
Nothing has been done with the available resources over the years, so will it take increasing the revenue base to start getting things done?
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by ektbear: 10:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
As low as this # is, let's not kick them too much. At least Kano is trying. . . undecided
Re: Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly by dustydee: 10:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^
My brother that your name is dicey o! WTF! grin grin
if you add gi grin

(1) (Reply)

Associate Of Chadian President Arrested With Missiles Meant For Boko Haram / Nigerian Army Buys BTR-4 Apcs / An Open Letter To Senator John Kerry And President Barack Obama By A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.