Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63449 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:34pm On Nov 07, 2011
HAROLD EKWERE EKWU JUNOIR

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:37pm On Nov 07, 2011
CHIEF ALLOY NWAEKE

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:42pm On Nov 07, 2011
CHIEF NWAEKE OZALA SHOWING MOVES cheesy

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 7:49pm On Nov 07, 2011
IJE EBE ANO cheesy

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by PhysicsQED(m): 7:54pm On Nov 07, 2011
@ Nri Priest

Ogboni is not Benin, for the record. It is Yoruba.  It was originally a Yoruba society of councilors/distinguished elders who kept the king's power in check in a Yoruba kingdom.

The ROF (Reformed Ogboni Fraternity) did become popular in Benin during the colonial era, but a political party, Otu Edo, which was formed to oppose Ogbonism, was also popular.

As for Ogboni being "demonic", I don't see how that is the case considering that their activity did not and does not center around "demons".

What is "demonic" is subjective, anyway. For example, the Nri tradition in which the first Eze Nri sacrifices his son to God (Chukwu) for a good agricultural harvest may be seen as "demonic" by certain religions, but if you look a bit deeper you'll usually find that those other religions have their own flaws. If the first Eze Nri thought he was doing as God commanded, then what occurred should not really be called "demonic".

Similarly, if the Ogboni used to sacrifice a criminal or an animal to their God or gods, it is not really demonic if it was not done with the intent of worshiping demons.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:27pm On Nov 07, 2011
To clarify what I posted above (under the moniker PhysicsQED, before the spambot banned me for a long post in another thread) a little bit, I mean that violent and/or unpleasant actions and rituals performed based on a certain religious worldview, are not really the same as deliberate and intentional worship of evil and do not amount to the deliberate and intentional promotion of evil. Cultures and the societies within those cultures that practiced these violent or unpleasant rituals, ceremonies, or actions did not necessarily lack a moral code or have a largely inverted or twisted moral sense, just because they were willing to go to extreme lengths in the name of their religious beliefs.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:52pm On Nov 07, 2011
PhysicsQED, I dont knw how credible is that ur story about Eze Nri sacrificing his son to God for a good harvest!! Where did u get that from and when did it happen ?
Did you know that in Benin people have to close their businesses and schedule prayer meetings just because the Benin Ogboni society is planning a parade!!! Thats why I call it DEMONI!! These is usually a bad time for the residents. . . You dont wanna encounter these Occultic men and women in the way. . . The sight of them alone will scare the holy s. .h. .i. .t  out of you!! They are violent,barbaric,fetish,full of voodoo and charms,just scary!! Same with their yoruba counterpart in yoruba land. . . And physics its really interesting to know that Ogboni Occultic society was established for the purpose of putting the kings power in check!!! I have always said that the only people that claim Benin root are only those who has heard about the past story but dont really understand their cultures and tradition which I termed as "Barbaric"!! In everything they do there is always a need for them to brandish voodoo everywhere and thats why most Igbos in Benin doesnt attend their festivals!!
Personally I think Benin has a great history but a very uninviting traditions!!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by odumchi: 11:06pm On Nov 07, 2011
@ NRI PRIEST

What does it take for one to be titled ozo? I once watched a film in which a man had to pay 1 million Naira to be titled ozo. Is it true?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:23am On Nov 08, 2011
Odumchi,yes Ozo is luxury and not for a financially struggling family. There are some Ozo that will gulp almost 800,000 naira, especially OZo Agbalanze.
let say what you saw in the movie you saw was exaggerated,Ozo doesnt have to cost more than 500,000 naira.
Dont worry Odumchi if I ever get to know you better I will surely invite you to one. The ceremony is usually beautiful,glamorous and very colorful with rich families displaying their Igbo attire know-how.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:24am On Nov 08, 2011
onicha ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:25am On Nov 08, 2011
onicha ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:26am On Nov 08, 2011
ihe e jiri buru onicha

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:27am On Nov 08, 2011
I[b]GWE Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe.
showing moves  [/b] O KA ODI cool

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 08, 2011
What happened to the "Tall, handsome light skin cute igbo boys" that we hear so much about on NL? shocked shocked shocked

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566778_YOUTH_SPORTS_ONICHA_jpgf0f517dbaa7bfd697fc073780b98893d

The one in the white has turkey legs.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:29am On Nov 08, 2011
onicha ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:32am On Nov 08, 2011
onicha ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:33am On Nov 08, 2011
ONICHA ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:35am On Nov 08, 2011
ONICHA ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:40am On Nov 08, 2011
Odumchi, u also dont have to be an Anambrarian to take an Ozo title!!! If you know the people and their culture and you are ready to accept their culture and blend with it,you can actually take the Ozo title but it had to be performed by NDI ISI OZO.
I remenber a man from Imo state who had lived in my hometown for over 40yrs  and has literally become an OKODUAN. I noticed that he was taking an Ozo title in one of my travels to my home town and I asked my father what bleep is going on and he told me that mr Anya is taking an Ozo and I asked how can he do that if he isnt from Umuoji. And my father stated that he has encultultrated in Umuoji and that he wrote to almost all the organisation in Umuoji including the royal house,giving them reason why they should bestow an Ozo title on him.
But to get one thing straight,such man and his decendants can never become an ISI OZO, and we have a lot of cases like that in Umuoji.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:40am On Nov 08, 2011
ONICHA ADO 

EGWU O KA OMERE

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:42am On Nov 08, 2011
ONICHA ADO

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 12:48am On Nov 08, 2011
CHIEF IWENOFU

ALWAYS ON THE MOVE cheesy cheesy

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by MyneWhite1(f): 1:38am On Nov 08, 2011
What a colorful ceremony. I hope that feathered headgear is not too heavy?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:50am On Nov 08, 2011
iwenofu

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:51am On Nov 08, 2011
EGWU

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:54am On Nov 08, 2011
asika moves

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:55am On Nov 08, 2011
egwu cheesy

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 1:59am On Nov 08, 2011
Myne White:

What a colorful ceremony. I hope that feathered headgear is not too heavy?
i don't think is that heavy the only one i noticed was obi himself his crown got about 90% pure gold cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:23am On Nov 08, 2011
AK47mann,if my memory serves me right i think that feathered head gear is worn only by the kings cabinet. . . an ozo holder is not allowed to wear those and thats why there is few of them here.
i really think onitsha people has done a lot of work to keep this prestigious culture alive. . . i feel very proud knowing that the cultures and traditions our ancestors is still alive and envied!!!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 2:27am On Nov 08, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

AK47mann,if my memory serves me right i think that feathered head gear is worn only by the kings cabinet. . . an ozo holder is not allowed to wear those and thats why there is few of them here.
i really think onitsha people has done a lot of work to keep this prestigious culture alive. . . i feel very proud knowing that the cultures and traditions our ancestors is still alive and envied!!!

yes you are correct the feathered ones is for king cabinet and it have been like that for over hundred yrs am proud  cool cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 08, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:55am On Nov 08, 2011
ileke idi,you must not have a boy friend to bang ur uncultured useless self to silence!!! i really think insulting igbos gives you orgasm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

IRIA - A Virgin Festival In Okrika, Rivers State / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video) / Aramide Shekinat Celebrates Her 40th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.