Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,203 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. (1386 Views)

The Joy Of Being Black. / I Want. / New Nigerian Poetry Contest Seeking Submissions! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. by denex: 11:36am On Sep 17, 2007
There have been quite a number of competitions which have held the whole country spellbound with exciting themes based in trivia, musical talent, beauty, acting, and even sometimes, nothing in particular (ie the Big Brother franchise).

However, despite all these quality content based contests there still lies one massive area of youth interest that has recieved very little exposure.

During the past few months, TEAM Z Entertainment has been tailoring a poetry competition specifically for NAIRALAND.COM which will hold November/December 2007.

This contest is built to showcase the very best of poetry in it's simplest form. A poetry recital contest for amateur poets to be televised round the country. A contest in which the very best of the best will present the most contemporary poetry to be spoken and heard.

A proposal for sponsorship has been demanded by First Bank Nigeria for financing considerations.

Currently, there is a massive exodus of youth to the segments of music and movies in the entertainment industry in Nigeria. Gradually, other aspects of the arts such as theatre, fine arts and poetry are shrinking as they become less and less profitable.

There's always one artiste launching an album or a new home video in stores every week of the year yet there's hardly any news of book launches or art exhibitions by young Nigerians.

It is this trend we want to change. We want to bring together a new breed of Nigerian youths that will continue what the Soyinkas and Achebes have carried on from older generations to be passed on to the future.

Considering the nature of capital and the kind of structure such a contest will require, TEAM Z Entertainment is trying to collaborate with NAIRALAND.COM and is seeking financial sponsorship from First Bank, as the crew at TEAM Z acknowledges that First Bank is favourably positioned to successfully sponsor this kind of a contest, and having a branch network that spans to every cranny in the country, we foresee this event only serving it's as a promotional tool in the hands of a truly national organization as First Bank.

Although, for NAIRALAND.COM to officially engage in this venture, we need to know if "Nairalanders" support this.

So for those who are in support of this motion, say AYE. Those who are against it, say NAY.

The TEAM Z/First Bank/Nairaland.com "Spoken and Heard" National Poetry Competition. To be or not to be?

That is the question.
Re: The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. by RuuDie(m): 10:41am On Sep 18, 2007
U typed all these with a phone - LORDEeeey shockedAYE

Somebody plz endeavour 2 change the Team Z sounds like a Rugby team!
Re: The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. by denex: 9:57pm On Sep 18, 2007
Yep. I typed all that on my phone. It was even much longer. I had to scale it down.

The name TEAM Z means a lots to us O! It's been years coming.

If you want to see the entire proposal to FBN, send me your email addy and I'll mail it to you.

Hope you're ready for Saturday poetry rendez-vous at the Kulture Klub.
Re: The "spoken And Heard" National Poetry Contest. by bibiking1(m): 10:46pm On Sep 18, 2007
aye!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Illusion / An Upside Down Cake / A Tribute To Garri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.