Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" (3665 Views)

Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey / Nigeria's Image Was Badly Damaged On Oprah Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by touche(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2007
[center]On a recent episode of her show,  Oprah Winfrey referred to Nigerians as "fraudsters".
I think its a classic example of 'faulty generalization'.
However, just one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel.
What d'u think?
[/center]
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by ritchboi: 2:37pm On Sep 17, 2007
make dat a couple milion bad aples,nyway dyu hav a link?finding it hard 2 beleive.wel if its tru shame on her,1 wud expect more.But 2 b honest i neva realy liked d lady.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by ebony4life(f): 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2007
Thats a very bad reflection on her part, its very bad,

How will she feel when one says "All Blacks are bad"

So next time she should verify, for example, 10% of Nigerians are fraudsters.

So I don't feel happy, we Nigerians should represent our country well in diaspora, and not degrade ourselves to doing filthy things just to be rich, I know its not easy but be good. cool

1 Like

Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by pilas: 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2007
its because of Her experience with an igbo419.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by londoner: 4:14pm On Sep 17, 2007
There are Nigerians who are making an honest living in the diaspora, truely contributing like any other member of society.

Sadly however, no media attention is given to these people. the truth is, some people are not interested in Nigerians who dont confirm the negative stereotype of aggressive, dishonest, arrogant criminals.

Why didn't she have a show about Mr Emeagwali, or the Nigerian guy who owns the second biggest Black owned bank in the USA (Lawal I think)? Are these individuals less Nigerian because they have made worthy contributions?

We have to ask ourselves why they are not just as willing to show the other side of Nigerians in America, or anywhere else around the world?
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by sweeti14(f): 9:55pm On Sep 17, 2007
It's not her fault(long hiss) angry.i don't blame her rara rara at all.her parents didn't teach her that there's always the good and bad and not to generalize like that.i'm very disappointed in her angry. with her level of exposure and experience.On the other hand sha its the fault of some of we nigerians who have given ourselves a bad name by taking partin fraud big time. angry angry angry angry
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by ritchboi: 12:14am On Sep 18, 2007
no mind am jare,is it not d same idiot who got pregnant @ 15? I wonder why people listen 2 her,dat is why she wil die single/unmaried,lonely and childless.Then she wil break leona helmsleys record and leave 1bilion dolars 4 her ant.NONSENSE!
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by youngdigi(m): 3:18am On Sep 18, 2007
ritchboi:

no mind am jare,is it not d same idiot who got pregnant @ 15? I wonder why people listen 2 her,that is why she wil die single/unmaried,lonely and childless.Then she wil break leona helmsleys record and leave 1bilion dolars 4 her ant.NONSENSE!
haha, my guy, ur own too much o, lol, ahah/, wetin she do u?
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by sweeti14(f): 6:06am On Sep 18, 2007
i understand how richboi feels.because she is a famous figure,people believe what she says and people who havn't been seeing nigerians as fraudstars will start to.so,every nigerian in their eyes is a fraud suspect.how sad. cry
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Ogomgirl(f): 2:51pm On Sep 18, 2007
Hey!
I was shocked to say the least when I learnt about what the talk show queen said and I do not agree with the brother who said Oprah made the statement cos of her experience with an Igbo 419. Face it,its a dent on our image as Nigerians and not a question of whether the fraudsters are Igbo ,Yoruba,Hausa or from any one of our other numerous unique Nigerian tribes. When people in other countries look at this situation they say "Nigerians". They don't give a hoot about what part of Nigeria the culprits are from. I believe that the sooner we all realise this,and work towards fighting this evil,the better for us as a people.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by naijadiva2(f): 8:35pm On Sep 18, 2007
i don't know how true this is because i didn't watch it but if it were true then i would have to say shame on oprah. i love her and all but sometimes i feel that she is forgetting that she is black. she's always talking about wanting to help black people, which she has done but at the same time she tries to comdemn us.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by teddydeji: 11:25am On Sep 19, 2007
l partly blame oprah for generalising considering the popularity of nigeria in the black continent,she unconscious shot at all blacks including herself, but let spare her some blames and also blame those unpatriotic nigerian that paint nigeria black in the eyes of foreigners, no thanks to their fraudulent acts.who knows may be once or twice or more she have been swindled by this unscruptulous elements.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by pilas: 5:49pm On Sep 19, 2007
wink
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Militiana: 7:02am On Sep 28, 2007
So what? undecided Get over it and move on!!!! You are going to be called worse things in the future. It is not what you are called that matters---but what you answer to! kiss
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by eldee(m): 10:05am On Oct 02, 2007
the problem is not the fact that someone insuled us, the problem is that the most powerful voice in america(forget condellisa rice) called us a country of thieves. that's worse than racism
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by tosinadeda: 1:08am On Oct 03, 2007
Stupid rich 4 notin lesbian,she had beta get married
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by almondjoy(f): 1:22am On Oct 03, 2007
@topic

So? Oprah is still alive and Nigerians are still alive. Get over it and move on with your own life. shocked
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by tosinadeda: 7:19am On Oct 03, 2007
Mayb ure right
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by saintchux(m): 6:12pm On Oct 03, 2007
pilas:

its because of Her experience with an igbo419.

Noted
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by yewaman1(m): 9:58am On Oct 04, 2007
Again! maybe she had an naija fineboy dat dumped her.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by yewaman1(m): 10:09am On Oct 04, 2007
Again! maybe she had a naija fine boyfriend that dumped
her once.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by texazzpete(m): 11:57am On Oct 05, 2007
What's with all these stupid people on this stupid topic again?
She didn't say all Nigerians are fraudsters. How can reasonable human beings start discussing and dissing someone when no proof of the 'crime' has been put forward?

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, the biggest problem we face in this country is the missaplication oif our brains. Whenever someone mentionsa nything about Genevieve NNaji, everyone starts demanding proof. When it comes to something else, something of bigger proportions, we accept everything at face value.

Here's Logic for you

1. You hear a story/news from an unreliable source (Nairaland!)
2. You confirm the story, look for proof and facts to confirm
3. Harness all facts and proof to make logical, intelligent statements on the issue at hand.

But instead, we have the usual Nairaland/Nigerian affliction:
1. Hear story
2. Bitterly dispute it if it concerns any 'hero' of yours, especially naija home video and music stars or
3. Embellish and spread it if the person at the center of the scandal is richer, smarter or better looking than yourself.

Gamine once said most people on nairaland are unintelligent, babbling goons. I'm tempted to agree with her here.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by surugede(m): 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2007
@ texazzpete

u said that was nt what she said , good what dd she say? the poster dd not give us the source of hi/her story neither dd u. u said we shld not believe his story cos of lack of proof and reliability where is ur proof?

so that we will stop "the missaplication oif our brains" give us a proof to discredit the story
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by almondjoy(f): 6:56pm On Oct 05, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^Wonderful! cry
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by DisGuy: 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2007
surugede:

@ texazzpete

u said that was nt what she said , good what dd she say? the poster dd not give us the source of hi/her story neither dd u. u said we shld not believe his story because of lack of proof and reliability where is your proof?

so that we will stop "the missaplication oif our brains" give us a proof to discredit the story

duhhh undecided

@londoner
I dont know about those yankee cowboys cheesy but CH4 actually showed with evidence the positive side of Nigerians in their documentary about the impact of immigrants Dispatches,'Immigration:The inconvenient truth'' wink
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2007
Well, I believe she is entitled to her opinion. I know not all nigerians are into such but she may not have met many of those who are not.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Anyhow(m): 3:39pm On Oct 09, 2007
Oprah is a lonely bitch that needs attention, we should not worry ourselves about her. And besides she will soon kill herself and we will all share her fraudulent money so keep cool and listen to news, it will soon be announce.

I watched the talk show where she ran her mount against the Giant of Africa, I wonder why a daughter of a slave will not respect her root.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by tkb417(m): 6:26pm On Oct 09, 2007
What's with all these stupid people on this stupid topic again?

Stupid people?? stupid thread I can see you know how to identify stupid people when you see them. Youre the king of idiots ive seen on NL

She didn't say all Nigerians are fraudsters. How can reasonable human beings start discussing and dissing someone when no proof of the 'crime' has been put forward?

This topic has been dealt with before on NL and i think we did justice to this. We need links as you rightly said before people cast aspertions unnecessarily

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, the biggest problem we face in this country is the missaplication oif our brains.

Nah. The biggest problem we have on NL is people like you coming on air to spew baloney thinking you have the rights to do so. Whenever you have problems with what people say on NL, take your cheap drugs and jump into a lake. simple

Here's Logic for you

1. You hear a story/news from an unreliable source (Nairaland!)
2. You confirm the story, look for proof and facts to confirm
3. Harness all facts and proof to make logical, intelligent statements on the issue at hand.

True word brother, but next time click ignore. Its no use trying to teach people how to chat on webforum.Ok?

Gamine once said most people on nairaland are unintelligent, babbling goons. I'm tempted to agree with her here.

Gamine i think ive chatted with her. yeah right. shes still in school studying i guess. Now anytimes Gamine talks you scribble on a sheet of paper so you can come and qoute.
You're just a Ninny that talks with his anus(jackal just this once,Pls dont fine me for plagiarism)

@topic
If she really said so, she must have been on some drugs. Okonjo Iweala is the World bank MD. That post is only for the credible, not fraudsters if im not wrong. God willing shes a Nigerian
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Ubermom(f): 9:23pm On Mar 01, 2008
shocked hao! NAIJA?
I watched that episode o! She didnt say all were fraudsters.
KAI! Where did all the venom on these threads come from?
At the end of the show, she even said she's sure Nigeria is full of hard working people so please dont keep calling to say so. It was a good piece of investigative journalism with a video of a police raid on a yahoo-yahoo biz centre!
Peeps, i like Oprah cos she spreads her money, and she does help black people.
I'm a teacher & i fell irrevocably in love when she had a teacher show & bought all sorts of school supplies and other stuff,
pls, dont hang her up the flagpole yet, k?
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Nobody: 4:22am On Mar 02, 2008
know who we are , not needing a soothsayer to tell us.by the way, that statement would nver win a BEST SPOKEN WORD AWARD not even in the kora awards
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by Sabisabi: 6:03am On Mar 02, 2008
Did she or did she not say it. If she says it then one naija person leaving in america will do a suicide bomb on her. Who born monkey.
Re: Oprah Winfrey: "Nigerians are Fraudsters" by manny4life(m): 9:14pm On Jun 01, 2009
Yes she said it, ok big deal. Y'all need to stop sulking and move on. This is America where anything goes, freedom of speech, its her constitutional right of the first amendment. We just have to deal with it period. The question should not be she said it, the question should be how do we prevent a greater voice from saying it in future.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? / Re – Who Will Defeat Jonathan In 2015? Joe Igbokwe Responds. / A Soldier With A Rifle Cannot Claim To Be Under-equipped- Badeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.