Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,542 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? (8407 Views)

Poll: Did you witness the Civil War, fought in it and can tell you OWN personal account of it?

Yes: 14% (12 votes)
No: 85% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Currency Used By BIAFRA From 1967 - 1970 / Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Photos Of Gen. Benjamin Adekunle From The Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by scribble: 6:56pm On Nov 07, 2011
Ah. God bless the OP, I am tired of these tribalistic civil war babies fed ideas that bred hate, and who continue to germinate hateful ideas in their head.

even most African Americans have gotten over the injustice of slavery, sure they had more time to heal but the Nigerian people did not even go through anything even remoteful as gruesome as that. and yet you find them complaining and crying here and there, and abusing other tribes and believing in their own tribes supremacy and all that nonsense.

Lets spread the gospel of love and unity instead of hate and division.

Thanks again op

1 Like

Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 07, 2011
^^do you think love and peace is actually the aim of the op undecided

follow Nl well and see
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by CyberG: 9:06pm On Nov 07, 2011
Toaskarity:

^^do you think love and peace is actually the aim of the op   undecided

follow Nl well and see

I have many posts here in this politics section, PLEASE search and post ANY that has ANY TRIBAL ATTACK on any tribe in Nigeria! If you have a chip on your shoulders, I can understand but this thread was intentioned as a fact-establishing thread NOT an e-fighting tribal contest. Understand that NOW and get off the usual tribal thinking of most NLander e-fighters from their cozy homes in Abuja, Lagos, UK, US, Canada, etc.

The point is this: most e-fighters on NL had no clue of what happened but stories they were told but they will do anything to convince even a foreigner that they saw more action and know better than those that fought and died in the war. The morale of this is: you can make any point and so does the other person and that he disagrees with you does not mean you hide behind tribal affiliations to make yourself something when you were non-existent when history was created!
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Kc3000: 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2011
@Dede1, I would say that with the shortage of manpower and weapons, especially, the size of a Division in Biafra, might not have been similar to what you would find in a standard Army. I would not be surprised if a Brigade consisted of 500 men, given the circumstances in Biafra. I believe Nowa Omoigui alluded to this possibility in his narrative of the tussle for Owerri between Biafran and Nigerian forces. Besides, conventional military doctrine suggests that one engages an enemy force with a larger force, whenever possible, and this would even be more of a necessity with an Army that was not nearly as well equiped as the enemy, as was the case in Biafra. My point is that engaging a Brigade with an entire Divison, in normal circumstances would be excessive and cumbersome, but in this situation that might not be the case. Gen. Madiebo might be right in his recollection.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by noiseless: 11:09pm On Nov 07, 2011
@OP IS THIS YOUR CRAFTY WAY OF DIVERTING THE WORLD'S ATTENTION FROM THE ROASTING OF INNOCENT PEOPLE WITH BOMBS BY YOUR GROUPS IN THE NORTH? GOOD TRY,I'M YET TO READ ANY POST FROM YOU REGARDING THE NIGERIANS WHO ARE CURRENTLY BEING BOMBING IN CHURCHS SINCE SOME FEW DAYS.ARE REALLY NOT ASHAMED OF YOURSELF BY CHOOSING TO IGNORE THAT ONLY TO COME UP WITH THIS? BIG BIG SHAME ON YOU.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by CyberG: 12:04am On Nov 08, 2011
noiseless:

@OP IS THIS YOUR CRAFTY WAY OF DIVERTING THE WORLD'S ATTENTION  FROM THE ROASTING OF INNOCENT PEOPLE WITH BOMBS BY YOUR GROUPS IN THE NORTH? GOOD TRY,I'M YET TO READ ANY POST FROM YOU REGARDING THE NIGERIANS WHO ARE CURRENTLY BEING BOMBING IN CHURCHS SINCE SOME FEW DAYS.ARE REALLY NOT ASHAMED OF YOURSELF BY CHOOSING TO IGNORE THAT ONLY TO COME UP WITH THIS? BIG BIG SHAME ON YOU.

You're not even answering the question, rather distracting it from its purpose. What else do you want me to say? Well over half of my 1300+ posts has been about Nigerian Politics. I have talked, shouted, convinced, persuaded (more adjectives) with the result that Nigerians WANT only MORE suffering! I have a different passport other than Naija's own and want good for Naija but my brothers in Naija will NEVER take good over evil. What else do you want me to do or what else can I even do? The thieving Nigerian leaders make sure most commoners are fixated on their tribes and other mundane things while they steal the money. Yet, I (and a lot of people) try to draw attention to the real issue, people in Nigeria insist on fresh air, what else do you want me to do? My own leaders here are trying and don't even need me to do all the trouble of writing and writing and when I try to tell my brothers we should make the country better than it is, they are fixated ONLY on the past wars, the tribe, who doesn't agree, whose land they want, what tribe is historically part of their tribe, meanwhile BH is bombing them to oblivion. I am almost tired now and it seems since you still have few posts, by the time you write 1000+ with no result, you will understand!
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by dayokanu(m): 12:33am On Nov 08, 2011
abagoro:

I miss your point.Are you implying that all Igbos met one day and decided that they wanted to wage war against Nigeria?I told my story from the point of view of my Grandfather who is alive till this day.He went to war to defend his people and not to conquer other people.To him the war wasn't lost because Igbo survived.

Starting from the genocide in the North down to Asaba and even Benin, the aim of that war was to wipe out the Igbo race.

Why start from the genocide in the North why not start from the killing of other regional leaders while sparing the Ibo ones?
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by MyneWhite1(f): 1:16am On Nov 08, 2011
It seems that most users of NL are younger than I thought. cheesy
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Katsumoto: 3:27am On Nov 08, 2011
Kc3000:

@Dede1, I would say that with the shortage of manpower and weapons, especially, the size of a Division in Biafra, might not have been similar to what you would find in a standard Army. I would not be surprised if a Brigade consisted of 500 men, given the circumstances in Biafra. I believe Nowa Omoigui alluded to this possibility in his narrative of the tussle for Owerri between Biafran and Nigerian forces. Besides, conventional military doctrine suggests that one engages an enemy force with a larger force, whenever possible, and this would even be more of a necessity with an Army that was not nearly as well equiped as the enemy, as was the case in Biafra. My point is that engaging a Brigade with an entire Divison, in normal circumstances would be excessive and cumbersome, but in this situation that might not be the case. Gen. Madiebo might be right in his recollection.

Thank you
Wars or battles have rarely been fought by equally matched sides. It was this position that forced the adoption of tactics and strategy in Wars and Battles. From biblical times through to Caesar's defeat of Pompey at the battle of pharsalus where Caesar was outnumbered 3 - 1 to the second Iraq war, the larger force has always attempted to defeat the smaller force. I wonder why the Colonial armies didn't drop their guns and fight native soldiers with swords and spears since they should have made the wars/battles fairer.

Dede1's position ignores several factors.
1. In early April 1969 when it became apparent that Umuahia would be lost, Ojukwu told Madiebo to concentrate whatever forces he had left to retake Owerri so as to counter any loss of morale that would result from the loss of Umuahia. Umuahia, the Biafran capital, was lost 3 days before Owerri was re-taken by Biafran forces.
2. The direct frontal attack preferred by Ojukwu in taking Owerri failed several times in March 1969. In the end, Ojukwu agreed to Madiebo's plan to use a pincer (double envelopment) of the Etuk's 16 Brigade, isolated in Owerri. For the pincer approach to work, Biafra would need several brigades. All the brigades that Dede1 mentioned were used in this assault but they were all under the command of Kalu.

There is no way Madiebo could have been wrong about the assault; he was in charge of the Biafran Army. BTW, Biafran brigades were usually made up of 900-1000 men.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by delpee(f): 9:30am On Nov 08, 2011
scribble:

Ah. God bless the OP, I am tired of these tribalistic civil war babies fed ideas that bred hate, and who continue to germinate hateful ideas in their head.

even most African Americans have gotten over the injustice of slavery, sure they had more time to heal but the Nigerian people did not even go through anything even remoteful as gruesome as that. and yet you find them complaining and crying here and there, and abusing other tribes and believing in their own tribes supremacy and all that nonsense.

Lets spread the gospel of love and unity instead of hate and division.

Thanks again op

True talk jare. I understand the posters reason for this topic but some people are getting emotional again. Just a simple matter of people recounting their first hand experience as distinct from the grandfather stories which is full of bitterness and of little benefit to this generation.

Cant we learn from history and focus on the looming boko haram war instead of dwelling in the past? God blessed the Igbos immensely after the war and will continue to do so. Now we need to see how to preserve our unity in diversity or fall apart on good terms instead of allowing boko haram to take over and ruin the country while we continue this endless NL e-war which will get us nowhere. Its 41 years after the war and the situation is quite different today.The history books and various autobiographies are there for those who want to know the details. There is really no reason to continue harboring bitterness and hatred for fellow Nigerians because of problems that occurred in a previous generation. Lets take a cue from Mandelas spirit of forgiveness, lack of bitterness and ability to move forward which is why South Africa is progressing despite all odds.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by afm4ever(m): 9:18pm On Nov 08, 2011
My father told me a little bit about the war how he was captured by the hausas and they tied him beside a river 4 many days 4 him to die there slowly unfortoately 4 him he does not know who untied the robe that made him escape when he came back home is like a lost king has finally been found everybody was jubilating cos he is an only child of his mother till today d mark of the robe is still there at his hand o boy no b small tino angry
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by babalo1: 3:01am On Nov 09, 2011
Bottomline, if you do not want to be shot at do not pull out a gun,
if you start a war, then be ready to deal with the consequences.
Sometimes you win, some times you lose, and if you lose, please don't be a
sore loser. meaning, Ndi Igbo, give it up, you put up a brave fight but you lost, its over, move on.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Kc3000: 3:37am On Nov 09, 2011
^^^^Just like this thread, most civil war posts are not started by Ndigbo. . . on the contrary, its mostly Yorubas trying to stire up these kind of topics. I don't know what they intend to achieve, or maybe they want to gloat or something, but Ndigbo have an obligation to debunk any fallacies being dispensed by these demented souls. The garbage they spew about their hero Adekunle, whose 3rd Marine divison was the most devastated by Biafran forces, is completely baseless. That formation was in complete ruins by the time Obasanjo took over, according to Nigerian accounts. Col. Shuwa's 1st Divison was by far the most succesful of all the Nigerian forces involved in the war, which is common knowledge, but instead of ascertaining the true facts of the events, these hopeless glory hunters run around spewing rubbish. They are the true sore losers, obviously whatever they hoped for Ndigbo did not materialize. . . hence all the pent up bitterness and frustration.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by texazzpete(m): 11:57am On Nov 09, 2011
Nigerians and their backward mentality!

While 26 year old lecturers in developed and sensible countries are acknowledged experts in Napoleonic battles and World War 2, dimwits here are desperately trying to re-inforce the tired Nigerian 'age = wisdom' myth.

Truth be told, in most cases there is little actual value someone who was a frightened and brainwashed 16 year old soldier fighting with improvised weapons during the biafran war will bring to any discussion on the issues and circumstances that led to war. In fact, many of the actual fighters in that war are less likely to be dispassionate commenters on the issue, compared to people willing to view issues with a fresh and neutral perspective.

I wish you guys luck.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Dede1(m): 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
Kc3000:

Bros granted there were shortages of manpower and materials, no reasonable commander will deploy entire division to halt a brigade meant to protect the flank of the main force. I still can not fathom the rational behind the nonsensical insinuation that a sector commander and GOC of 14th Division had to commit the entire unit readied to halt 3MCDO thrust to Orlu through Owerri just to repel a decoy such as 14th Brigade. The shortages of man power were noticed on both sides but more inimical on Biafran side than Nigerians. For example, certain intelligence provided to the Biafrans indicated some Brigades on Nigerian side consisted of 3 battalions or less.

Again, in the Owerri Theater of the war, 14th Division under Ogbogu Kalu was tasked to halt advances of 3MCDO toward Orlu and recapture of Owerri. I must state categorically that 14th Div under Ogbugo Kalu did not accomplish any of the tasks. Ogbugo Kalu and 14th Div were headquartered at Atta while “S” Div under Onwuatuegwu leapfrogged to headquarter at Emeke-Ukwu. Along Owerri-Okigwe road, it was 67 and 68 Brigades of “S” Div at Akabo and Emi, five to 10 miles ahead of 14th Div, under Lt Col Okoi and Major Onwuka respectively halted the advances of 3MCDO which led to the reducing of the 3MCDO as an ineffective fighting force.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by CyberG: 1:13am On Nov 10, 2011
[size=16pt]^^^ Guys, this is NOT about telling your own WAR story, which in fact has inaccuracies as postulated by you KC3000 and some others here! Leave the other tribe(s) and your tribe out of the conversation and JUST say whether or not you saw the war! If you did not, that's fine because a lot of people here are the younger generation anyway, all you can do is to make a point from published accounts of what transpired and if anyone disagrees, it is his prerogative. State your case and move on because YOU DID NOT SEE it and are in a very weak position to start any useless e-fight if anyone disagrees with your position.

That is one lesson you should learn from this thread and your own admission that you did NOT see the war. The people who actually fought would respond more sensibly and in a more even manner compared to you that was only told stories, yet act like you were there from day one!
[/size]
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Dede1(m): 12:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
^^^^^ I hardly bring my humble self to engage in war of words with nincompoop such as you. From the vote tally, 11 persons have indicated they saw or participated in the war. If you are not a drooling maggot, you would have, at least, insinuated that DEDE 1 is among the eleven-wise who voted they saw or took part in fighting the war.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by CyberG: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2011
Dede1:

^^^^^ I hardly bring my humble self to engage in war of words with nincompoop such as you. From the vote tally, 11 persons have indicated they saw or participated in the war. If you are not a drooling maggot, you would have, at least, insinuated that DEDE 1 is among the eleven-wise who voted they saw or took part in fighting the war.

^^ You're just a little confused kid loaded down with rotten propaganda, refusing to learn and you definitely didn't see the war - who dash monkey banana? If you think that everyone is as gullible and deluded like you to take the voters who did not say anything in post (most likely your multiple IDs on NL and those of your co-tribalists and bigots) but just wanted to swell some imaginary numbers to perpetuate the lie of seeing the war, then I have an estate to sell you in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Funny thing is you know your masters here and they enjoy spanking your bald, flat, big empty head all day long on any issue and you are 56!? LMAO! You describe yourself with untrue high-sounding adjectives but people who differ from your tribe and point of view are not wise like you? Well, you are an idiot and everyone can see that! So, give it up already: you've FAILED miserably at your "pretend knowledge" and your tribalism and bigotry will lead you to a sad end! Little dummy like you talking about people who fought when you were not even born!? - slowpoke. Now, run along and go run errands for your parents and stop distracting this thread! Go and read your A, B, C and I don't want your useless arguments on my thread again, open yours!
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Dede1(m): 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
^^^^If I say you are a moronic slowpoke, it is simply an understatement. Since you just realized that contributors have more than one handle identities and would probably vote to swell the imagery numbers to perpetuate the lies of seeing the war, it is an indelible indictment on your stream of thoughts and mental feebleness to start thread bereaved of intellectual worthiness.

Believe you me, you are a perennial clown.
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by CyberG: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2011
Dede1:

^^^^If I say you are a moronic slowpoke, it is simply an understatement. Since you just realized that contributors have more than one handle identities and would probably vote to swell the imagery numbers to perpetuate the lies of seeing the war, it is an indelible indictment on your stream of thoughts and mental feebleness to start thread bereaved of intellectual worthiness.

Believe you me, you are a perennial clown.     

^^ LMAO @ this scum of the earth! So, you are still here after everyone has made their opinion and moved on and to my non-surprise, you have determined to continue being a fool until everyone accept that you were a commander in the war?? Hahaha. . .little kid, you seem to still be fighting this war in your dreams. . .like you did 44+ years ago!? Either you are hallucinating from too much playing of battlefield company, deadliest warrior, lost your small brains or you are still fighting your own civil war in your dreams. . .LOL! No disrespect to the older ones who actually did a lot with their lives but for you behind wipe to try to put yourself in their league is a big shame, I doubt you plan to even see older years if you are disrespecting elders!? Recently, you boasted on how a 92FS sat on your table (in your dreams after saffing too much cocaine. . .LOL), next you fought the war with this gun in your dreams? Do you know that people who actually see war (not on PS3, XBOX or in dreams) and 56+ years old have seen a whole lot and are so even tempered, the last thing they would do is argue about any war? And you are 56yrs or 5.6 month old baby? Mr. commander dream-war fighter, go and get a life and stop pursuing a young man like me around, okay? Are you a craddle-robber too? Leave me alone or is it until I disgrace your old fat stomach, flat head, double barrel flat nose in public? If I challenge you to prove yourself in combat now, you will give excuse again or avoid it. . .so please leave me alone! Open your in thread where you can tell everyone of your imaginary brigade, battalion, battle formation, etc BS - only in your deluded mind and empty head! tongue tongue grin grin
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 12, 2011
Yu c y ppl nid lobectomies? So because I wasn't alive during d war means I shldnt b talkin abt it?
And den peeps dt have grandparents and parents dt gave dem first hand info and stories abt d war. I gues d stories aint valid abi? Rubbish
Re: How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? by itstpia1: 3:55am On Oct 18, 2014
i think many of the nlers who actually witnessed the war are not talking. Personally, I've read up on it.

what i would like to know is when did the fertility rate return to normal and when was the earliest time people started having babies?

also, seems Bianca was born at the start of the war (1967), right at the outbreak of hostilities. I'm guessing there may have been a decline in births after that period, and then a rebound when it ended.

Patience, Okonjo-Iweala and Dora were all teenagers during that time (ages 13- 16). Maryam Babangida was 19.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero / INEC Commences Deployment Of Sensitive, Non-sensitive Materials To States / Rainstorm Kills 7 And Wreaks-Havoc In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.