Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? (12646 Views)

Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister / Good News!! Four More Ebola Patients Discharged – Health Minister / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by benjichuks(m): 12:38am On Nov 09, 2011
dis argument is a moot point cos ow many of who r arguin dis goes to d hospital wen ill specifically to see a 'pharmacist' or a 'nurse' or a 'radiologist' or a 'lab scientist'
The person headin a medical team ie the CMD of a hospital shuld be a doctor cos He/She brings all d discipline togeda in the care of the patient vis: he interprets d clinical presentation n combines it wit d investigation 2 make a diagnosis while also prescribin drugs based on the diagnosis and carin for the patient!
So this argument is moot cos ow many health professionals come in contact wit each other in a professional capacity?
Well I rest ma case!

1 Like

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 12:51am On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

i said "Actually non-lawyers can become judges of the US supreme court"
you are free to disagree with that providing evidence. but you chose to say i spoke from ignorance .

and so i put you straight there is NOTHING in US law or constitution stopping it. in some countries there is a requirement in statute that judges are lawyers or members of the bar. this is not of statutory force in the US.

to paraphrase you

using your logic

BLACK WOMEN CANNOT AND DO NOT BECOME US PRESIDENT

there is nothing in US CONSTITUTION stopping a woman or black person becoming president because those events are rare or have not happened does NOT mean they are PROHIBITED.
that is my point. if you do not understand english blame your parents do not come here barking like a rabid dog . legislation means statute i covered that already.BERK!! you and your parents should go and jump under a trailer

All you have just said is [size=24pt]ABSOLUTE RUBBISH![/size]

When you're done with the nonsense as usual, you will come down like the DOG you claim to be and LISTEN. Again you claim I don't know English, but my previous post stated, you know what, why should I waste my breadth on you? Read the second paragraph again. Then again, what can I say, you claim, English language, claim doctor, lawyer yet simple hard to understand. Again, Mr, while there is no written law(statutes) or legislature IN THE CONSTITUTION (that's what you said), my advice for your dumb as/s is to look to Congress legislature and their collective decisions they have used to regarding appointments of Justices, I am dead certain you will see something rather than using your so-called Google to help you out.

Oh don't worry how I know, I watched and followed the hearing and final confirmation of the last three SCOTUS justices. For you to tell me legislature and statues means same thing, aren't you a damn fo.ol? Do I have follow a fool in the same path? What a jerk? The funny thing you call my parents, but they are 100x better than you, my father doesn't even have time for petty sh/it, let alone NL, the man has way more important meetings to attend, if you're here, he will sell you and collect change. Is it my mom, trust me, she's over here but she will still sell you even in your own Nigeria. My advice, STOP claiming I too know, NOT GOOD. If you don't know if congress has a law, requirement, or even decisions about SCOTUS justices, visit Library of Congress or you can write your delegate in Congress.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 12:52am On Nov 09, 2011
CMD is not the head of the medical team he is the chief executive of the hospital he is responsible for workforce planning,controlling the money flow,contracts,buying hospital supplies,catering, security IT, transport and coordinating all these things. as well as managing all the healthcare professionals
he/is somtimes called the chief executive.

i think of an airplane as the best analogy
the pilot is the head of the flight but not the airline

this is the board of the biggest hospital service in england. http://www.imperial.nhs.uk/aboutus/whoweare/board/index.htm
the chief exec is not a doctor
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 12:55am On Nov 09, 2011
manny4life:

All you have just said is [size=24pt]ABSOLUTE RUBBISH[/size]

When you're done with the nonsense as usual, you will come down like the DOG you claim to be and LISTEN. Again you claim I don't know English, but my previous post stated, you know what, why should I waste my breadth on you? Read the second paragraph again. Then again, what can I say, you claim, English language, claim doctor, lawyer yet simple hard to understand. Again, Mr, while there is no written law(statutes) or legislature IN THE CONSTITUTION (that's what you said), my advice for your dumb as/s is to look to Congress legislature and their collective decisions they have used to regarding appointments of Justices, I am dead certain you will see something rather than using your so-called Google to help you out.

Oh don't worry how I know, I watched and followed the hearing and final confirmation of the last three SCOTUS justices. For you to tell me legislature and statues means same thing, aren't you a damn fo.ol? Do I have follow a fool in the same path? What a jerk? The funny thing you call my parents, but they are 100x better than you, my father doesn't even have time for petty sh/it, let alone NL, the man has way more important meetings to attend, if you're here, he will sell you and collect change. Is it my mom, trust me, she's over here but she will still sell you even in your own Nigeria. My advice, STOP claiming I too know, NOT GOOD. If you don't know if congress has a law, requirement, or even decisions about SCOTUS justices, visit Library of Congress or you can write your delegate in Congress.

i don't know tell me this law
instead of making a fool of yourself go to the supreme court website
http://www.supremecourt.gov/faq.aspx#faqgi2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Jackson
and see what they have to say

Robert H Jackson was NOT a lawyer
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 1:00am On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

i don't know tell me this law
instead of making a fool of yourself go to the supreme court website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Jackson
and see what they have to say

Robert  H Jackson was NOT a lawyer

Wiki, what a weak source!

LOL, you know how many times I've been on the Supreme Court's website? STOP being a FO.OL

The Supreme Court justices DO NOT confirm themselves,  Now if you want to learn, like I suggested to your du.mb brain, write your delegate in Congress and ask "what was the Congressional decision requirement for Justice Kagan" i.e. if you know who she is.

OH BTW, I'm not arguing what the Constitution says, I believe I have hashed that out in my last two post. Constitution clearly says there's NO REQUIREMENT, well that's where u look to Congress to see about their decision, shouldn't u?
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 1:08am On Nov 09, 2011
manny4life:

Wiki, what a weak source!

LOL, you know how many times I've been on the Supreme Court's website? STOP being a FO.OL

The Supreme Court justices DO NOT confirm themselves,  Now if you want to learn, like I suggested to your du.mb brain, write your delegate in Congress and ask "what was the Congressional decision requirement for Justice Kagan" i.e. if you know who she is.

OH BTW, I'm not arguing what the Constitution says, I believe I have hashed that out in my last two post. Constitution clearly says there's NO REQUIREMENT, well that's where u look to Congress to see about their decision, shouldn't u?
you are really not a bright chap and the more you talk the more you obviate any lingering doubt.
i gave you a link to the supreme court

they address the question of DO YOU NEED TO BE A LAWYER  very directly
your mother is a f00l and her AS5  is definitely dumb that is why she let your hircine father thru the gates to produce you.
i have refuted your twaddle with clear evidence .
if the best you can come up with is to sneer at wiki you are even more despicable than i thought you are a nebbish. a nonperson.

1 Like

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 1:21am On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

you are really not a bright chap and the more you talk the more you obviate any lingering doubt.
i gave you a link to the supreme court they address the question of DO YOU NEED TO BE A LAWYER very directly
your mother is a f00l and her Bottom is definitely dumd that is why she let your hircine father thru the gates to produce you.
i have refuted your twaddle with clear evidence .
if the best you can come up with is to sneer at wiki you are even more despicable than i thought you are a nebbish. a nonperson.

I really hope for the patients you treat because they are in for a ride. Refuted what? Did I not say the same thing your so-called link is saying? The Supreme Court link you gave me is clearly stating about, here is the excerpt

Q: Are there qualifications to be a Justice? Do you have to be a lawyer or attend law school to be a Supreme Court Justice?

A. The [b]Constitution [/b]does not specify qualifications for Justices such as age, education, profession, or native-born citizenship. A Justice does not have to be a lawyer or a law school graduate, but all Justices have been trained in the law. Many of the 18th and 19th century Justices studied law under a mentor because there were few law schools in the country.

Now du.mb du/mb, the key word is "The Constitution", where did it say Congress? Now you see how slow you are. Again, read my previous post, Constitution is clear it DOES NOT have any requirement but same Constitution gave Congress authority to make decisions regarding requirement, Now I'm done with you dumb as/s because you cannot simply comprehend English all this while.

Your problem is that you're trying SO HARD to prove that you know sh'it but you're sounding stu/pid each time. If you're a smart fellow, you will know that I wasn't talking about Constitution, I was referring to Congressional Decision Requirement about Justices before confirmation.

You keep calling my mom and dad, like seriously is that your best shot? I'm laughing SO HARD because even heaven knows you cannot utter a word in her presence. Like I told you, you are no where, and CANNOT even stand in the presence of my mom let alone my dad. They will sell you and collect change. If you want to see if I'm joking, you can try.

1 Like

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 1:24am On Nov 09, 2011
please shut up you are too dull and your verbigeration in unamusing
we are back to my original statement
you don't have to be a lawyer to be a judge of the US supreme court.

my exact words ; non-lawyers can become judges in the US supreme court.

you said it was an "IGNORANT" claim that is the issue.

that is the bottomlime everything else is NOISE
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 1:31am On Nov 09, 2011
aribisala0:

please shut up you are too dull and your verbigeration in unamusing
we are back to my original statement
you don't have to be a lawyer to be a judge of the US supreme court.

that is the bottomlime everything else is NOISE

Smartie Pants, LLS, seems someone's feelings and ego got trampled upon  cry cry cry

Well you need to be practice law before you can become a justice not judge in the U.S. Supreme Court, Now that's an original statement and the Bottom line. STOP spreading fictitious lies.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 1:36am On Nov 09, 2011
not only are you obtuse you are childish as well i am done with you as i will not learn anything useful from you even if you had another life.
i have met a lot of 1diots on nairaland you are the capo
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 1:44am On Nov 09, 2011
GOD FORBID IT, I WILL NEVER B YOUR INSTRUCTOR, NOT IN THIS LIFE AND ANOTHER TO COME

One who argues blindly but don't want to listen and learn. You call me childish, but as a medical professional with 20+ years experience (you claim), you resorted to calling my mom and dad degrading names, you resorted to pulling me down to your level. Come on, don't you see who's the childish person on here shocked shocked shocked

I believe, when the judgement is handed down from other NL, let us see who is more FAKE, CHILDISH, above all an IDIOT. If you had just calm the fu/ck down, perhaps, I would have told what Congress decisions requirement for justice-ship candidacy recommended by the ABA, and how it was invoked during Justice Kagan's Confirmation. Even, there was a national poll about the same (very close subject), anyway, peace dude.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by manny4life(m): 1:47am On Nov 09, 2011
Oh for the record, I am so not replying you again, go on with your insult rampage, I could really care less because someone whom I'm better than, I am, Peace out grin grin grin
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by marco74(m): 2:19am On Nov 09, 2011
@poster- I can see the point you're trying to make. having gone through the system in Nigeria myself, I can tell you that a lot of the doctors who become CMDs have minimal managerial experience and it's not very surprising that they don't run the hospitals very well.The other important thing worth pointing out is that federal hospitals are not really run to make money hence it doesn't matter whether the CMDs make profits since there is monthly allocations from the health ministry!
Here in the US, the medical director is always a doctor, but they have a CEO who in all the places I have been at is usually a non-physician. The CEO of my hospital is a psychologist, and the director of mental health in DC is a social worker.
As some of the earlier posters have suggested, it will make sense to create that CEO position in hospitals in Nigeria, and anyone with managerial experience should be able to aspire to it.
@Manny-are you a doc in the DMV area?Holla at me
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by yommysomguy(m): 5:23am On Nov 09, 2011
Hospital is not a phamarcy. However, tht phamarcy is part of a hospital and you cant bring in a pharmacist to take up the post of CMD who manages the hospital. Someone who understand this position is given this post. Only doctors are qualified. Thats why its called CMD

2 Likes

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by ubongutioh(m): 5:58am On Nov 09, 2011
Your topic is like saying 'must the man always be the head of the family? What of women and children'. Doctors are the head of any medical team all over the world, so Nigeria should not be an exception.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by 0key: 6:33am On Nov 09, 2011
Over time, doctors have been accused by paramedics of not moving the health sector forward. The truth is no sector in nigeria is moving forward cos of corruption and bad government. So, d problem of health sector is not caused by doctors but the national disease of corrupt government which equally affects other sectors such as education, agriculture etc.
Secondly, paramedics are supposed to support doctors in health care delivery, and not to b rubbing shoulders with them. The head of d medical team is d doctor. The obvious reason is he co-ordinates other health professionals to achieve the best care for patients. Doctors are also vast in the knowledge of drugs(via pharmacology), lab medicine and human psychology.
The roles of cmd comprise of admnistrative and medical matters. So the position should be headed consultant doctors who have headed their departments with good track records.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by Dr9ce(m): 6:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Yes a chief medical should be a doctor because medical training is all encompassing, a doctor can function as a lab scientist,can play nursing roles,knows d pharmacology of drugs, but these has been divided because it can be overwhelming(even within medicine there is subspecialization), so who else should b d CMD if not a doctor? @poster

2 Likes

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 09, 2011
I have been reading blind arguement from both side.the word 'medical' applies to doctor only.paramedical includes pharmacist,med lab scientist,nurses,dietician etc.who heads hospital?in developed countries it is CEO who can be ANY professional e.g accountant,lawyer,doctor,nurses etc with master in HA or health economics.in most developing countries CMD doubles as CEO.still any health worker can aspire to be the CMD.interested persons contest,workers vote and three names are sent to Abuja.the process is simple.i think other health workers can gang up against doctors in election but THEY ARE NOT UNITED.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by freepeople: 9:57am On Nov 09, 2011
chookudi:

It is not an issue of competition but drawing the boundaries of one's profession.for example,we all know that when it comes to anything relating to drugs,the pharmacist is king same as when it comes to investigation concerning the body physiology,the med lab scientist has the best knowledge.getting a patient back 2 his/her feet requires d input of all and as long as each one of them is largely involved in dis,they have a shot at being the CMD or health minister or wateva post is being vied 4.when it comes 2 specific health institutions,u can't expect a nurse 2 head association of resident doctors or a doctor 2 head the pharmaceutical society of nigeria but wen a bigger umbrella is involved lyk health ministry or hospitals,any1 of them has a right, 

Either you are daft or you have a warped grasp of

reality. What prevents you from becoming a

doctor/consultant to vie for CMD? You must have a

delusion grandeur by saying that the pharmacists are the

king of drugs. Why don't you forge a licence, then go to

an obscure village to open a clinic, then practice with

your medical scientist who is the king of physiology[i]

(and pathology)[/i]. I will advise

you to deal with your inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by testoy: 10:57am On Nov 09, 2011
The person is going to see to the affairs of the health institution. Therefore, the person must be a medical practitioner if not a doctor by proffession
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by drhappy(m): 1:49pm On Nov 09, 2011
medical doctors hav led our health sector over the years and guess wot they achieved? Bottom table ratings in d world health care chart!
As much as i know, there is a hospital management course in other countries. In a country where even trained proffesional management personal fail in proper management of institutions due to nigerian factors, doctors who have little or no exposure to management trainings shouldnt be left in totally in charge.
I think we need a serious selfless review of our health system to achieve and help our people. All that matter to our doctors is to sit tops n demand bumper salaries at intervals from govt,while they expect worship praise from d average low esteem and ignorant nigerian.
Their mates abroad are researchn and moving on,forming research teams with every other colleague in the healthcare field,even outsider lyk engineers to enhance medicine, but here, a first degree physician in orthodox 1985 medicine knowledge walks around the hospital and thinks about how he wil ride his health colleagues he shud be working with,jst to show a baseless superiority.
Maybe one day we wud get to seperate the hospital depts into differently located health units just to achieve selfish desires.
I pity 4 our health system and our so called 'doctors'

You have actually exposed your ignorance with your submission as quoted above.That the health sector is comatose is not the doings of doctors but as an extension of system failure in Nigeria.How many doctors have headed PHCN, Water Corporation, Nigerian Railway and Ministry of Works?Are those parastatals in top shape?
The so-called feat-performing doctors abroad comprise a large chunk of doctors who are native of this country but are fortunate to find themselves in environments where there is high regard for human lives. We hear that government releases fund for researches in teaching hospitals but nobody has seen the money.Apart from the hospitals, ASUU also complains about this regularly.
For your information,a CMD is a Consultant Specialist in his field who must have at least a minimum of 15years experience in that capacity.You do not become a Consultant after studying for 6years for the first medical degree but after spending at least another 5-8years to specialize depending on the specialty to bag a Fellowship degree.So to become a Specialist you must have been in training for about 11-14years.You can now add another 15 years to that before you can aspire to be a CMD.At that level and time you are even almost likely to be a Professor.
During the period of specialization,you are expected to undergo an intensive Health Management Training and Research Methods which are prerequisites for sitting for the Fellowship exams.So who says doctors do not have managerial skills to enable them head hospitals?
We are in the Evidence Based Era and it is so shocking that someone as literate but not educated like Aribisala can say there can be hospital without doctors.If there are modern therapies for some chronic diseases,then what is the modern therapies for a ruptured appendix,a depressed skull fracture or an obstructed gut?
There is no basis for this mischievous post because the answer is obvious.Pharmacists should be contented with their supportive role in hospitals instead of embarking on campaign of calumny against doctors. A word they say is enough for even fools now,

1 Like

Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 2:33pm On Nov 09, 2011
drhappy:

You have actually exposed your ignorance with your submission as quoted above.That the health sector is comatose is not the doings of doctors but as an extension of system failure in Nigeria.How many doctors have headed PHCN, Water Corporation, Nigerian Railway and Ministry of Works?Are those parastatals in top shape?
The so-called feat-performing doctors abroad comprise a large chunk of doctors who are native of this country but are fortunate to find themselves in environments where there is high regard for human lives. We hear that government releases fund for researches in teaching hospitals but nobody has seen the money.Apart from the hospitals, ASUU also complains about this regularly.
For your information,a CMD is a Consultant Specialist in his field who must have at least a minimum of 15years experience in that capacity.You do not become a Consultant after studying for 6years for the first medical degree but after spending at least another 5-8years to specialize depending on the specialty to bag a Fellowship degree.So to become a Specialist you must have been in training for about 11-14years.You can now add another 15 years to that before you can aspire to be a CMD.At that level and time you are even almost likely to be a Professor.
During the period of specialization,you are expected to undergo an intensive Health Management Training and Research Methods which are prerequisites for sitting for the Fellowship exams.So who says doctors do not have managerial skills to enable them head hospitals?
We are in the Evidence Based Era and it is so shocking that someone as literate but not educated like Aribisala can say [b]there can be hospital without doctors.[/b]If there are modern therapies for some chronic diseases,then what is the modern therapies for a ruptured appendix,a depressed skull fracture or an obstructed gut?
There is no basis for this mischievous post because the answer is obvious.Pharmacists should be contented with their supportive role in hospitals instead of embarking on campaign of calumny against doctors. A word they say is enough for even fools now,

calling people fools or other such terms of endearment does not buttress you position.no one has a monopoly on unruliness.
[b]did i say there can be hospitals without doctors? [/b]please say you made a mistake and correct that . i do not want to accuse you of lying
i am not really sure that all the verbiage about specific clinical situations appendix rupture etc is of any greater moment in this forum than a description of the wave-particle duality of energy and matter or the behaviour of aluminium protons when bombarded with X-rays. they are equally titillating subjects to read about during a long flight but of absolutely no relevance to who should manage a hospital.
my point is that anyone who is competent can manage a hospital whether they are a doctor or not. in the event that it is a doctor the person would need to possess a completely different set of skills from those acquired in the course of undergraduate medical or postgraduate training. those clinical skills have some relevance but are not sufficient and the more relevant skills are managerial. this has been demonstrated severally in many countries e.g the UK and the USA where most CEOs are neither doctors,nurses pharmacists etc. i  am mindful of professional rivalries playing out in Nigeria but i also know they have played out elsewhere,many times. the outcome has always been the same . doctors have lost out in the power play and their loss has been more profound because they had no plan B they refused to prepare for a different landscape.
our coleagues in nigeria really need to know that the world is changing and like the tree that refuses to bow to the wind they are in danger of being broken by it.
by the way why must you be so old to become a CMD if you can be president at 40 . Jeff Immelt became CEO of GE in his 40s probably the biggest conglomerate in the world worth 100s of billions and which has several billion dollar medical businesses in its portfolio
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by iiiyyyk(m): 1:29am On Nov 12, 2011
THE SUMMARY
I agree that a medical doctor should head a medical team, and that the position of medical director should be for a medical doctor. the is no argument with the fact that doctors are doing great in their medical expertise.

Yet the truth must be said.
the office of CMD in nigeria is purely a managerial and administrative office with very little or no clinical requirements/engagements. it is very synonymous with hospital CEO in developed world.

if this internal professional conflicts that has been undermining healthcare development in nigeria must be addressed, then the position of CEO must be created . then the medical director heads the medical team, nursing director heads the nursing team, pharmaceutical director heads the pharmaceutical team etc. In the absence of this, i see situation were CMDs being med doctors will be down playing the development and welfare of other health professions in nigeria especially considering the depth of conflicts already existing in our health system.

but the ego and (corrupt) money attached to this office, we will need the NATO force to make such a progressive change in naija. Remember in many places , consultants kill fellow consultants to assume this office.

Also it is important to get it clear that creating the office of a CEO is not a battle between Med docs and other health professionals as most doctors in this forum see it. it is the right thing and should be done.
it baffles me that we all know that the problem with almost every sector it nigeria is not lack of natural or human resources but purely managerial. but recently the nigeria med doctors sent a bill to the national assembly for health reforms without including any change in our health managerial systems rather, they tried to impose Med docs as head of all other departments in the hospital/health sector. such selfish and self centered character is only going to kill our health sector the more.

@ arisbisalao and mareo74 thanks for your objective and progressive analysis of issues. but its quiet unfortunate that naija is a nation were selfishness and sentiments rules the mind of most people there by affecting their sense of judgments and by implication our policies.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by kay4fun(m): 9:34am On Nov 12, 2011
@aribisala0. Your contributions has very educative. The orientation here in Nigeria need to change from 60's mentality to what is required of modern medicine. Please tell them more.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by Sagewood: 9:24am On Nov 13, 2011
I am a doctor based in the USA. I have worked in Nigerian teaching hospitals before leaving the shores of Nigeria.
In all developed countries, CEO or Administrators head all health facilities. The Nigerian system have CMDs as head of
hospitals. Though this system need to change for effective hospitals / health care facilities administration. But I strongly doubt
it will change as the system is resistant to change the status quo.
When I establish a health facility / hospital in Nigeria, I would need an experienced administrator or manager to run it. I will probably
act as the chairman of the board. Then the administrator will be answerable to the chairman/ board.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by JayCee2010: 10:07pm On Nov 28, 2011
Must a CMD or min of health be a doctor? Definitely not!

Infact the current Cmd of unical teaching hospital is an optometrist (eye doctor).

Many cmds around d country are doctors because its expected that they are the head of the medical team - indeed they are.

However the position of cmd and minister are not medical posts but Administrative so practically anyone with the requisite academic qualifications ( professorship, MBA etc) can do it ( but it has to be a health professional not necessarily a doctor!!!)
PS: Medical does not directly mean doctor -but anything related to health and patient care
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 10:21pm On Nov 28, 2011
JayCee2010:

Must a CMD or min of health be a doctor? Definitely not!

Infact the current Cmd of unical teaching hospital is an optometrist (eye doctor).

Many cmds around d country are doctors because its expected that they are the head of the medical team - indeed they are.

However the position of cmd and minister are not medical posts but Administrative so practically anyone with the requisite academic qualifications ( professorship, MBA etc) can do it ( but it has to be a health professional not necessarily a doctor!!!)
PS: Medical does not directly mean doctor -but anything related to health and patient care

optometrists are not eye doctors that would be an ophthalmologist
ophthalmologists are fully qualified doctors
but i agree CMDs do not have to be doctors . i do not think they have to be health professionals even
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by JayCee2010: 9:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
aribisala0:

optometrists are not eye doctors that would be an ophthalmologist
ophthalmologists are fully qualified doctors
but i agree CMDs do not have to be doctors . i do not think they have to be health professionals even

LOOOL! ur right, but when i said "eye doctor" was just trying to simplify it for lay readers (maybe i over simplified it). Like u rightly said eye doctors are actually ophthalmologists, the optometrists are just the " glasses people" but lay people sometimes call incorrectly call them eye doctors since they are in fact "doctors of Optometry" not necessarily medical doctors.

back to the issue,
Nigerians are so used to "doctor worship" i doubt if they would let anyone who doesn't have a "DR" prefixed to their names to take the post of CMD. as u said also, CMDs could be anyone with management and administrative skills. its all about who has what it takes to do the job- but we seldom consider that when favoritism and politics come into play in appointing people for the job.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 10:37pm On Nov 30, 2011
in the context of what we are talking about here that sounds a bit  unconvincing. people who are interested and have commented so far seem to know what we are talking about.
anyway this CMD guy at Calabar or wherever is which optometrist?
we inherited that from the British and transition to a non-doctor led service has been resisted vigorously here by doctors. no one gives up power without a fight
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by allycat: 10:20pm On May 28, 2012
I know this is an old post, but please check your facts before posting. The CMD of universityof Calabar teaching hospital is Dr Thomas Agan, a gynecologist not an optometrist. He graduated from university of Portharcourt medical school in 1990.
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 12, 2013
Can doctors head pharmaceutical company?of course doctors are working in some Big Pharm. Can pharmacist head banking industry?no .can doctors head law firm?no. can accountant be the head of judiciary or minister of finance.no
Re: Must A Chief Medical Director or Health Minister Be A Doctor? by aribisala0(m): 1:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
Laalamed: Can doctors head pharmaceutical company?of course doctors are working in some Big Pharm. Can pharmacist head banking industry?no .can doctors head law firm?no. can accountant be the head of judiciary or minister of finance.no
Why can't a Pharmacist head the "banking industry" that is assuming there is any such thing as a head of banking industry? . Why can't an accountant be a minister of finance. Headship in the public sector is often political. I believe the person who beat Okonjo Iweala to the World bank job is a doctor.

Adamu Ciroma studied history and has been CBN Governor,Minister of Finance,Minister of Agriculture. So Why not state your reasons so we can undertand. As far as the topic is concerned , The main issue is what is the JOB of a CMD. I will say it cannot be more complex than being a president.It is a managerial position requiring intelligence and management competences and so in my view if you can manage Nigerian Breweries or First Bank you can manage a hospital. We have heard that doctor is the "head of the medical team" .This is ALMOST ALWAYS true but the medical team is not a hospital.They are at the end of the day "technicians" and are often VERY POOR managers who are unable to be dispassionate in the role. There is no part in medical training to read even a basic financial statement like Balance Sheet or Cash Flow.Many doctors will spend 20 years in the job and never sign a contract ,write a cheque or negotiate any deals.Then we expect them to wake up one day and manage a billion Naira budget.

We might as well say someone who was never in the army should not be Commander in Chief

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / Prostate shrinking herbs very effective with rapid recovery / National Hospital Performs Open Heart Surgery On 12 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.