Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Where Was Your NYSC? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Where Was Your NYSC? (1285 Views)

8 Things You Must Do Before Concluding Your NYSC Programme / How To Verify Your NYSC 2016 Batch A Senate List / Your NYSC Questions Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Was Your NYSC? by Aladunni(f): 6:11pm On Sep 17, 2007
Nairalanders, where did you serve the country and what do you feel about the people? (positive please)

I served in Akwa Ibom State. Essien Udim Local Government Area. Odoro-Ikot Village

The people were initially hostile but after sometimes they became very very friendly. When they serve you as a visitor, they taste everything placed before you to assure you, you wont be poisoned (save cocked drinks). If not for the height, personally i think their girls are still the most beautiful i know (parochial view). So many villages around. Dispersed settlement, this made me a little uncomfortable as against the yoruba style of living. Well it was fun crossing so many seas to get there sha.
What about you? Maybe you even served in my village grin
Re: Where Was Your NYSC? by echelon(m): 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2007
I served in Bosso local govt area of Niger state. Primary assignment was lecturing in FUT, Minna.

During my service year, I became addicted to Fura da Nunu grin, was careful though not to get entangled with the milkmaids grin

I was in Tourism CD club. Visited a number of attractions. Very entertaining indeed.

My only regret: I did not learn hausa language, just learnt a few to pass by especially the general greetings and market transactions.
Re: Where Was Your NYSC? by Aladunni(f): 11:42am On Sep 18, 2007
echelon:

My only regret: I did not learn hausa language, just learnt a few to pass by especially the general greetings and market transactions.

I did not initially like the people, so i didnt want to learn the language and besides it was a beautiful cluster of consonants, so hard to learn. The time i developed the interest, i was already going home. Too bad.

Ave been to minna too, because i schooled in Bida Poly. Its all fun finding yourself all over the place
Re: Where Was Your NYSC? by echelon(m): 4:19pm On Sep 19, 2007
Well, Minna is a cool town. I especially liked the traffic. I never was held up in traffic. And food is cheap there too, especially yam. It was not unusual to get 5 moderately sized tubers for N240. Those that served in the villages said that they were given food stuffs free of charge.

Cost of living there then was generally low.

(1) (Reply)

Get Ready To Teach!-nysc To Prospective Batch 'b' Corp Members / She Must Be The Biggest Female Copper In Nigeria? (see Photo) / What Is The Advantages/disadvantages Of Being Posted With Stream 1 Or Stream 2?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.