Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,213 members, 7,780,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:32 PM

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? (14799 Views)

What Is The Maximum Speed You've Attained While Driving? / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 08, 2011
mine wz 180km/h between PHC and owerri. D car wz a CAMRY,1993 model. That wz a long time ago wn i wz stil a kid. I enjoyed the experience

share yours.

speed thrills, (dont complete it for me)
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 08, 2011
172 mph (279 km/h) in my old '87 Audi Coupe Quattro. Engine was RS2-spec and beyond, 413 bhp and 436 ft-lbs. Max speed was limited by the low gearing.
158 mph (256 km/h) in my current '02 Audi S8 Quattro. Totally standard, 360 bhp and 317 ft-lbs. Max speed is electronically limited to 155 mph (251 km/h).
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Emperoh(m): 5:28pm On Nov 08, 2011
Crazy man!!

200Km/hr - Benin - Asaba highway.
This was just last October - 2002 Toyota Avalon!!

I love that car. But even at that speed, 2009 Range Rover Supercharged still dust me!!
I just couldn't meet up
grin grin
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eddy42k(m): 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
220km/h  with my lovely 1997 manual renault laguna 4cylinder benin asaba road very early in the morning coming to lagos tryin to beat any posible traffick on the road, in the car was my sister and my wife, glass wind up they never notice a thing , that car is madt , i guess i was crazy,just got a bmw 2002 v6 have never tried it like that,
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2011
eddy42k:

just got a bmw 2002 v6 have never tried it like that,

Eddy, BMW's don't come with V6 engines. The 6 cylinder BMW's are all I6.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by eddy42k(m): 6:15pm On Nov 08, 2011
ah baba sory .typo errrro pls i have dis problem with the beema it cools on my drivin side den hot on the pasengers side when my ac is workin aw do u think i can go about that any idea cry
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 08, 2011
siena? 279km/h? In nigeria? Lol. . . That would hv been exciting man. I dey bliv dat benin-asaba highway, my bro told me he clocked d full 240km/h on his camry 2.2 (2000 model) that road is jst sweet. Very soon elele-owerri highway will be like it.

Oh anoda tym i remember wz wn a marcopolo bus dust my car wn we wr @ 130km/h. . . Chisco bus to be exact
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 08, 2011
n.oxide:

siena? 279km/h? In nigeria? Lol. . . That would hv been exciting man. I dey bliv dat benin-asaba highway, my bro told me he clocked d full 240km/h on his camry 2.2 (2000 model) that road is jst sweet. Very soon elele-owerri highway will be like it.

Oh anoda tym i remember wz wn a marcopolo bus dust my car wn we wr @ 130km/h. . . Chisco bus to be exact

Bro, I don't reside in Nigeria[i].[/i]..

And 240 kph (148 mph) in a Toyota Camry 2,2 I4 (133 bhp) is physically impossible. The Camry is a big, heavy car, and is underpowered in 2,2 guise. Not saying your brother is lying, just pointing out his speedo is over reading. My figures were via GPS, production car speedos are designed to over read, error margin can be as much as 10%.

When my Audi Coupe Quattro was clocked by GPS at 172 mph, my speedo was indicating 186, which was of course way over the actual speed.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ibadan1(m): 11:27pm On Nov 08, 2011
159 MPH (255 KPH) Speedo reading - Ferrari 456 GTA think it was limited by the auto box and I ran out of the straight - Rockingham race track
151 MPH (243 KPH) Laser Verified - Audi R8 V8 version Track day in rural Wales best car I ever drove and i've driven some.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
^^^ Great stuff, Ibadan, good to see another Motorsport enthusiast on here.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Reference(m): 12:04am On Nov 09, 2011
2002, 10.30 a.m., Ikom-Ogoja, Camry 1999, 160 km/h when I crested a hill, saw the pot hole, set the right wheels to the shoulder, didn't see they were ragged and lost two tyres clean off their rims. The rest is history and a bit of geography.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 12:09am On Nov 09, 2011
Reference:

2002, 10.30 a.m., Ikom-Ogoja, Camry 1999, 160 km/h when I crested a hill, saw the pot hole, set the right wheels to the shoulder, didn't see they were ragged and lost two tyres clean off their rims. The rest is history and a bit of geography.

Wow! Glad you weren't hurt. I guess the bit of geography was an unintended detour into the bushes / shrubery?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ibadan1(m): 12:18am On Nov 09, 2011
Hopefully I wont bankrupt myself next summer so far I've arrange 3 trackdays already. Cant wait to drive the R8 V10 if the V8 is that good considering I drove it and a vantage back to back, the vantage became instantly unimpressive and slow compared to the R8
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by phuckNL: 1:24am On Nov 09, 2011
To all the guys driving above 120km/hr on naija roads. PLS PLS and PLS. Whenever you decide to do it again, make sure you are the only one in the car. Don't put your family or friends in danger. You have to been insane to drive at such speeds on naija roads. You can't put your life on a machine that can give way at any second. What if you loose a tyre (numerous expired and bad tires abound), what if you hit a pot hole, what if robbers throw a rim at you. STOP iT OOOO. It is not funny.

1 Like

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by sultaan(m): 2:50am On Nov 09, 2011
90 mph, since I drive a jeep and a V6 fusion, it will be dangerous for me to do more on open road.

Getting ticket is not an option either, I'm just a boring driver.

I don't even think 100kmph in naija is a good idea from what I've seen.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by earthrealm(m): 7:11am On Nov 09, 2011
hmmm, una dey try o, on nigerian roads, i always keep my speed btw 80 and 120km/hr, i never exceed that, tried 160km/h on asaba benin rd.it was mad fun, but considering the expected pot holes and police rd blocks, i never exceed 130km/hr .apart from abuja, the onitcha - asaba- benin rd and the owerrri - onitcha rd are about the only good rds i know in the east, where i can try hitting 130 - 140km/hr/
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by femmy2010(m): 7:41am On Nov 09, 2011
No matter how great the road may be I never exceed 100km/hr.
I dey fear too much.lol.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 09, 2011
Siena:

Bro, I don't reside in Nigeria[i].[/i]..

And 240 kph (148 mph) in a Toyota Camry 2,2 I4 (133 bhp) is physically impossible. The Camry is a big, heavy car, and is underpowered in 2,2 guise. Not saying your brother is lying, just pointing out his speedo is over reading. My figures were via GPS, production car speedos are designed to over read, error margin can be as much as 10%.

When my Audi Coupe Quattro was clocked by GPS at 172 mph, my speedo was indicating 186, which was of course way over the actual speed.

i meant d speedo read all d way thru, 220km/h (240 wz a typo, sori) its been done more than once by me bro and cousin on d same road. Siena waddya think?. . .ryt nw d engine is kinda weak, its good for city cruise but feels sluggish wn u want to go fast. . .d engine 'drags' (i dunno if i'm using d ryt word)

oh d onitsha rds r gud too, bt it has more curves than benin-asaba
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Spclst900: 9:24am On Nov 09, 2011
I have been in a bus (toyota hiace) driving at 170kmph this was because him was chasing after a toyota hilux running at same speed along abuja- lokoja highway.

Personally i've done 140kmph with a Honda accord along abuja - keffi expressway.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by kamikazee0(m): 9:25am On Nov 09, 2011
210 km/h in my 4.4i 2003 BMW X5 Lagos - Ibadan express way (trying to keep an appointment ). Will i do that again? (our roads are not that good, medicare?, dunno what to say about that ) No, i don't think i will try it again. Easy does it.
the saying better late than never is no joke
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 09, 2011
@ Phuck NL: Word,
I just don't understand what some motorists enjoy in overspeeding shocked No wonder we have a lot of widows! SPEED KILLS especially in NAIJA!! My highest speed has been 100km/hr only when i'm sure there are only few cars on the road and precisely third mainland bridge!!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by JUO(m): 9:48am On Nov 09, 2011
172 mph (279 km/h) in my old '87 Audi Coupe Quattro. Engine was RS2-spec and beyond, 413 bhp and 436 ft-lbs. Max speed was limited by the low gearing.
158 mph (256 km/h) in my current '02 Audi S8 Quattro. Totally standard, 360 bhp and 317 ft-lbs. Max speed is electronically limited to 155 mph (251 km/h).
lair which road?
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 09, 2011
Akaraoku$:

@ Phuck NL: Word,
I just don't understand what some motorists enjoy in overspeeding shocked No wonder we have a lot of widows! SPEED KILLS especially in NAIJA!! My highest speed has been 100km/hr only when i'm sure there are only few cars on the road and precisely third mainland bridge!!

I don't know about those that blast along Nigerian roads, I can only speak for myself.

All my speed trials are done in controlled enironments, not the public roads. There are a lot of proving grounds in the UK, my speed trials were carried out at Bruntinthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire. Perfectly safe, much safer than regular speeds on public roads.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by DualCore1: 9:51am On Nov 09, 2011
Speed kills, speed alone please.  wink
Divide your personal best my the number of passengers and drive at that speed  grin

Akaraoku$:

My highest speed has been 100km/hr only when i'm sure there are only few cars on the road and precisely third mainland bridge!!
It is people like you that cause accidents on highways cuz you screw up other drivers' projections and calculations on a highway. The thought of being behind you while overtaking a long stretch of trucks is frightening.

1 Like

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by ezyra(m): 9:51am On Nov 09, 2011
Did 200km/hr on third mainland with a 2011 Toyota Corolla.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 09, 2011
JUO:

lair which road?

Audi Coupe Quattro - Bruntinthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire.
Audi S8 Quattro - Unrestricted section of the Autobahn, it was a 16-mile stretch.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nicols(m): 9:54am On Nov 09, 2011
165km/h along Benin-Asaba expressway. Something went wrong with the back tyre and I lost control of the car. It flipped 3 times after it vered off the lane but the good news is that though the car became a complete write off but 4 of us were alive to tell the story.

1 Like

Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nicols(m): 10:01am On Nov 09, 2011
JUO:

lair which road?

That's the most INSULTIVE & SARCASTIC post in this thread.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by babyboy3(m): 10:08am On Nov 09, 2011
I once had a race with a Nissan 350ZX in my Toyota Celica from Oxford to London

I left the night club 2am in Oxford and as I joined the M40 the Nissan went past and gave me a double hazard indicating whether I have the balls, guess what? it was raining, I dont know what speed I was doing but within 17 minutes I went past Wembley. Thats almost 60 miles so Imagine from Toll Gate in Lagos to Ibadan under 20 minutes
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Mojibola(m): 10:09am On Nov 09, 2011
180km/hr, peugeot 406, Lagos-Ibadan exp way, glasses all wound up, blasting sound system, believe me you wont know yu are so fast!
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by knotty(m): 10:15am On Nov 09, 2011
220km/hr kaduna/kano express in Lexus LS240. Didn,t know i was speeding, in my heady younger days
180km/hr kaduna/kano express inFX35, 2 weeks ago, got scared, had to pinch myself, responsibilities plenty now,
the craziest had to be downing the speedometer of my old Honda84 without any protection whatsoever, not even seat belt, kai man don take some stupid risks.
But, whatever you do on Nigerian roads, don't mess with those Golfs and Vectra on the road, they will kill themselves and kill you.
Re: What's The Fastest Speed You've Experienced In A Car? by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 09, 2011
siena hw fast hv u gone on public roads? I'm nt sure we hv any 'controlled environment' here in nigeria, all our speeds r clocked on public roads wit plenty potholes. .lol . . (gues thats why juo doubted ur 271km/h)

bros 200km/h on 3rd mainland? I hope u've done thanksgiving in church man cos nt many live to tell such story

@nicols. . Its ok. He dint know siena is nt in nigeria.lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fortune Magazine Names Toyota Number 1 Motor Vehicle Company / I can Help You Get Medical Report For Tinted Glass / V.I.O and FRSC Palava...my personal experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.