Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,581 members, 7,781,873 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 12:39 AM

Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools (2913 Views)

No Gains For Almajiri Schools’ Graduates – Fashola / Aliyu Kicks Against Banning Of Almajiri System / Terrorism: Mark Seeks Ban Of Almajiri System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 12:49am On Nov 11, 2011
[size=14pt]FG to Disburse Funds for Construction of Almajiri Schools[/size]
Favour Nnabugwu
10 November 2011

The Federal Government will this week mobilise contractors for the immediate commencement of almajiri schools across states of the North and selected states of the South.

Minister of State for Education, Barrister Ezenwo Nyesom Wike in Yola recently after inspecting Girl Child Schools under construction by Universal Basic Education Commission, UBEC, in Adamawa State, said that funds for the construction of the Almajiri schools would be released to contractors this week.

Wike noted that President Goodluck Jonathan is committed to enhancing access to quality education amongst less privileged Nigerians.

For years now, the menace of idle children and youths roaming the streets begging all in the name of acquiring education has been a source of concern for policy makers in Nigeria.

Recent studies conducted by the Ministerial Committee on Madrasah Education puts the population of Almajari at about 10 million.

It therefore becomes obvious that for Nigeria to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Education for All (EPA) goals, there is the need for an accelerated intervention by the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).

The Integrated Almajari Education is essentially designed by the Federal Government under President Goodluck Jonathan to integrate the Islamic School system to provide quality education for these target population.

In order to achieve this, the Jonathan Goodluck administration put in place a policy framework which focuses on two critical levels.

The first is engagement with the rationalisation of the existing traditional system of Islamic education with a view to addressing existing problems and challenges, consolidating achievements and expanding opportunities for the growth and development of the system.

The commitment demonstrated by government in setting up an Implementation Committee on Almajari education is highly appreciated.

At various levels, stakeholders especially governments of the affected Northern States have devised various ways to deal with the social pandemic with little or no success inspite of their policy intervention.

The Minister said that the foundation laying ceremony for the construction of the Almajiri schools will be performed by President Jonathan in Sokoto in the coming weeks.

He said: "The funds for the construction of the Almajiri schools are available and the Federal Government is committed to completing these schools on schedule".

He commended UBEC for the progress made in the construction of Girl Child Education schools across Northern Nigeria.

At the Federal Government Girls College, Yola, the Minister expressed dissatisfaction with the environment of the school.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201111101107.html
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by igbo2011(m): 12:53am On Nov 11, 2011
Hopefully they fall through with it and Boko Haram stops.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 11, 2011
There's no point if the education is not "western".

A much needed development.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 2:09am On Nov 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

There's no point if the education is not "western".

A much needed development.

It is Islamic still, but with enough Western content to make the kids useful to society and provide them with skills that will make them employable instead of their current end use as itinerant beggars and ready fodder for "religious" bloodspilling.

I agree its a good development, lets hope it will not be opposed by the usual almajiri "loving" crew.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Nobody: 2:19am On Nov 11, 2011
Beaf:

It is Islamic still, but with enough Western content to make the kids useful to society and provide them with skills that will make them employable instead of their current end use as itinerant beggars and ready fodder for "religious" bloodspilling.

I agree its a good development, lets hope it will not be opposed by the usual almajiri "loving" crew.

Pardon my ignorance if I dont see what skills can be acquired from such schooling. And for what types of employment?
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 2:25am On Nov 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Pardon my ignorance if I dont see what skills can be acquired from such schooling. And for what types of employment?

My dear, they say, "softly, softly catch monkey." That is the overall strategy.
I do not doubt that the education will be Western, but will include Islamic studies; however, you actually want the people to "choose" what you have already chosen, so that we don't have acrimony and the people themselves become the biggest defenders of the system.

In a few years, we could have an educated core-North and the tender green shoots of lasting peace and security.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Nobody: 2:48am On Nov 11, 2011
^^ I see.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by sheyguy: 2:54am On Nov 11, 2011
Instead of going to the state and checking corruption they are busy sharing money they dont have enough of (Fuel subsidy) in the name of UBE.if this has anything to do with Boko Haram, then I see it as failure of the federal govt to check corruption at state level. This administration might just be starting problem beyond its own reach by sympathizing with terror oriented minds like these almajiris.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Relax101(m): 3:12am On Nov 11, 2011
This is bad news to some people.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 4:00am On Nov 11, 2011
sheyguy:

Instead of going to the state and checking corruption they are busy sharing money they dont have enough of (Fuel subsidy) in the name of UBE.if this has anything to do with Boko Haram, then I see it as failure of the federal govt to check corruption at state level. This administration might just be starting problem beyond its own reach by sympathizing with terror oriented minds like these almajiris.

What are you talking about sir?
Illiteracy in the core-North is Nigeroia's biggest security risk. I have been banging that same thing for years now on NL; without rampant illiteracy, there would be no boko haram.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Rhino5dm: 4:32am On Nov 11, 2011
Bravo!

How can this government want to institutionlize terrorism, instead of eradicating it? This is beyond any known logic

There is nothing like Almajiri in Islam(I resarch enough to understand this) and those you come across begging everywhere in the north are product of failed system and sheer wickedness of the northern oligarchy/ruling class. The name Al-majiri has been used to provide a cover for negligence and laziness.

I cant believe this is happening!. The question i want ask here is, what is Almajiri system?

This is really sad. Coming at the moment the government ought to have channel all resources in quenching the menace of Boko Haram.
Those schools are going to be recruitment base for terrorist like Alqaeda, Boko Haram, Al-shabab and all other organisations of like, the politicians will also cash in by making good use of them during election.

No need to create a weapon without a purpose. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.

The best way to help the so-called Al-majiri is to make his parents reponsible for his care. We should not try to cover-up the dangers of breeding extremist in other to satisfy one section of the country.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by IDeyMAJE: 7:14am On Nov 11, 2011

#ignorant.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by BoOOosHBoy: 10:39am On Nov 11, 2011
Thats the trend now
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by thehomer: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2011
What is an Almajiri school? Aren't there public or private schools? Or are they simply building more public schools?
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:24am On Nov 11, 2011
if only they gonna appreciate that undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by sheyguy: 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
Beaf:

What are you talking about sir?
Illiteracy in the core-North is Nigeroia's biggest security risk. I have been banging that same thing for years now on NL; without rampant illiteracy, there would be no boko haram.
what i am saying is this: after ND militancy and amnesty, FG might appears to be showing sympathy tomards the BH prone zone (UBE fund) which i strongly blieve they are, and it may encourage new dimension of lawlessness around the country, all in the name of the-govt-is-not-doing-enough. Why not let them hold the govt at the state level responsible, that way nobody has any excuse for attacking anxthing that represents the federal character (including NYSC).

IDeyMAJE:

#ignorant.
what r u talking abt here, pls if u can' t reason along why not make way for those who can.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Dizzybizzy: 12:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
This development has been long overdue. Kudos to whoever brought up the idea for the FG.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2011
sheyguy:

what i am saying is this: after ND militancy and amnesty, FG might appears to be showing sympathy tomards the BH prone zone (UBE fund) which i strongly blieve they are, and it may encourage new dimension of lawlessness around the country, all in the name of the-govt-is-not-doing-enough. Why not let them hold the govt at the state level responsible, that way nobody has any excuse for attacking anxthing that represents the federal character (including NYSC).

The only reason boko haram has taken root in the core-North is the rampant illiteracy in existence there. In all these decades the state govts you want to be held responsible have only churned out almajiri after almajiri like its some industrial process to be proud of. Now, as the article says, there are 10million of them roaming the streets, some as suicide bombers fighting hard for boko haram that is as directionless as they are. Clearly, these folk also operate beyond state level and attack both federal and foreign targets.

If anyone attacks Nigeria or a guest of Nigeria, it is matter beyond the responsibilities of a state govt. The almajiri system is at the root of boko haram and all other extreme Islamist matters and as boko haram falls under the purvue of the FG, it is logical that its root cause does too.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by stepo707: 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2011
Northerners dont like school.The FG are only wasting their time and money
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by JoeMosco(m): 2:01pm On Nov 11, 2011
It is not enough to send them to school, the solution is to stop men from marring four wifes and giving birth like fowl when they cant take care of them, Their holy book says, "Marry more than one if u can take care of them, " Just wonder if giving them bowls to beg in the streets is a way of taking care of them, This HAS TO STOP!!!!!
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On Nov 11, 2011
Is the same FG then going to fund the construction of Christians Schools in the same North and the South As well? I mean if the FG believes it is wise to use the Nations money to fund these Almajiri schools, then it ought also to share the wealth around to other religions out there.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by DaDoctor: 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2011
GEJ IS WASTING HIS TIME.
THE NORTH DESERVES TO BE STARVED FOR TAKING THE NATION 10 YEARS BACKWARDS.

BOKO HARAM TRAINEE ALIMAJIRI SCHOOL??
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by nagoma(m): 7:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
.Saad Zungur was the General Secretary of the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) from 1948 to 1950. one of the heroes of the national struggle for independence Ahmad Mahmud Saad Zungur was an associate of Zik the NCNC president.

IN Saad Zungur’s speech at the NCNC national assembly in 1948. (The full speech is serialized in the West African Pilot from Tuesday 18th to Friday 21st May 1948.)
He said;

“….There are over ten thousand Koranic schools in the Northern Provinces. They are all disorganized and haphazard. The British imperialist has made it quite clear that the problems of these so called schools are the peoples’ own concern. We are the people – the people of Nigeria and the Cameroons. They are said to be the concern of the Muslim population in the north. I do not agree with this view.

In my humble opinion, these schools constitute a national problem of great magnitude. It is the concern of all people of this country to organize them and place them on modern educational basis. By solving the problems of these schools we shall solve more than half of the problems of mass literacy in this country. No doubt the Muslim population of the north will benefit more from the solutions of the problems of these schools; but I firmly believe that instead of becoming a liability the solution will prove an asset to the people of this country.
I
can even go beyond that and claim that the problems of these “schools” constitute more than half the political and social problems of Nigeria and the Cameroons. I therefore implore the people of this country through this august assembly to tackle the problems of Koranic schools and get them solved as early as possible. Such is the biggest appeal I have heard made by men and women of obscurity, who in mass, make up force by which our political developments are going to be determined…, ”

Zungur died relatively young in 1958, did not live to see Nigeria’s independence. Is GEJ poised to solve this problem 63 years later?We wait and see.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by xterra2(m): 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2011
Good development
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by tsadiq(m): 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
If it got to promoting islam or the north we are jealous similarly to islamic banking, ! We still expect luv and unity! HOW ?
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by kingjoe(m): 9:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
when did it become the responsibility of the fg to construct schools .dont they have schools. what are their various state governors doing,who are the parents of thes almajiris.they are getting everything wrong.my suggestion is for us to have policy on births in this country.u cant leave things like this open .people that dont hv the means to take care of their children should hv the number they can train or else they will be punished .unlike general opinion i want to state categorically that nigeria is a poor country,we are just trying to build our economy we need to be as judicious as possible.at the heat of the niger delta crises amnesty was given to the militants,giving them different trainings to calm their nerves .now boko haram and they feel tthey can calm their nerves by buiding schools 4 them another group will come up and it continues .we cant continue like this.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by tsadiq(m): 10:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
you are getting it all wrong! Man
kingjoe:

when did it become the responsibility of the fg to construct schools .dont they have schools. what are their various state governors doing,who are the parents of thes almajiris.they are getting everything wrong.my suggestion is for us to have policy on births in this country.u cant leave things like this open .people that dont hv the means to take care of their children should hv the number they can train or else they will be punished .unlike general opinion i want to state categorically that nigeria is a poor country,we are just trying to build our economy we need to be as judicious as possible.at the heat of the niger delta crises amnesty was given to the militants,giving them different trainings to calm their nerves .now boko haram and they feel tthey can calm their nerves by buiding schools 4 them another group will come up and it continues .we cant continue like this.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by nagoma(m): 10:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
@kingjoe

Of course we can go on like this if that's the only way we cnan get some development. Billions of dollars were budgeted for electricity and we haven't seen any results , billions of naira for roads and we have shouted and shouted and nothing came out of it. Gombe - human- jalingo is impassable. Abuja lokoja a death trap. Ore road daily accidents and death. If the poor niger Deltan youth can be sent abroad in hundreds perhaps almajiris can also be educated and this may be the first time to show result of government intervention since the start of the so called democracy. After all whose money is it ?
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by nagoma(m): 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
@tsadiq

Of course we can go on like this if that's the only way we cnan get some development. Billions of dollars were budgeted for electricity and we haven't seen any results , billions of naira for roads and we have shouted and shouted and nothing came out of it. Gombe - human- jalingo is impassable. Abuja lokoja a death trap. Ore road daily accidents and death. If the poor niger Deltan youth can be sent abroad in hundreds perhaps almajiris can also be educated and this may be the first time to show result of government intervention since the start of the so called democracy. After all whose money is it ?
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by kingjoe(m): 10:39pm On Nov 11, 2011
when did it become the responsibility of the fg to construct schools .dont they have schools. what are their various state governors doing,who are the parents of thes almajiris.they are getting everything wrong.my suggestion is for us to have policy on births in this country.u  cant leave things like this open .people that dont hv the means to take care of their children should hv the number they can train or else they will be punished .unlike general opinion i want to state categorically that nigeria is a poor country,we are just trying to build  our economy we need to be as judicious as possible.at the heat of the niger delta crises amnesty was given to the militants,giving them different trainings to calm their nerves .now boko haram and they feel tthey can calm their nerves by buiding schools 4 them another group will come up and it continues .we cant continue like this.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by Beaf: 12:02am On Nov 12, 2011
@nagoma
I really appreciated your quotes from Saad Zungur. They were really insightful, I never realised that the problem had been identified way before independence. Do you have a link one could use?

I really believe that if this policy by GEJ succeeds, it would bring about a monumental change in the outlook and future of the core-North. It will usher in educational and developmental parity with the South and help the unity of the country to no small degree, as the masses on both sides of the divide begin to share the same goals and aspirations.

People say the core-Northerner hates school, but that has been debunked by your posts. I am not sure if tsadiq is a core-Northerner too (I guess so from the spelling of his id); both you guys have spoken very well, if everyone was like you, the policy would be a roaring success.
Re: Fg To Disburse Funds For Construction Of Almajiri Schools by nagoma(m): 7:49am On Nov 12, 2011
@Beaf

Thanks. Where there is a will there is a way . The problem arises When the will is not palpable - at least not by the majority.
A link I came across ; 

www.the optimisticvoice.com/archives/ writer column07022011 HTML.

A book:  an anthology of social and political writings of a Nigerian nationalist. Author - professor a.m. Yakubu ( Nigeria Defense Academy).
As the saying goes ; "throw a lucky man into the sea and he will come out with a fish in his mouth" - who knows GEJ may be a statesman after all , may see beyond his nose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thompson Okpoko & Partners Donate Relief Materials To Flood Victims / 30 Dead In Ukeh Anambra State After APGA Thugs Invaded. / Opeyemi Bamidele Of Ekiti State Decamp To Apc Tomorow Welcome GMB.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.