Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. (10274 Views)

Man Must Survive, See What This Lady Is Doing To Survive / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / Fed Govt: We Didn’t Squander External Reserve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Ivynwa(f): 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
I just read the write-up below in yahoo and that incensed my disgust (all over again)at these scammers that are all soiling the reputation of everybody in Nigeria. I am mad, mad, mad, mad and disgusted at this, people. I am tired and fed up. I have done a little bit to ward them off people and prevent others from getting duped off their money. I have on one occasion ten years ago tipped the police (crime fighters) into busting a gang and catching up with them. I quickly notify innocent persons of their plans whenever I see scammers making moves on them. I belong to another forum of some decent persons in the internet where these scammers constantly infiltrate trying to dupe everybody and I see myself notifying the site administrators all the time, reporting them, getting them off the site and all what not. One of the ones I tried to ward off people here in nairaland has sent me death threats mails of him sending somebody to kill me etc (which isn't swaying me one bit). I am not singing my praise saying this, just wishing I have the answer to the best way to stop all these so that I can get that implemented.

Right now, I am just fed up with these crawling worms that make the name of our country stink. Many Nigerians now complain that they are ashamed to tell others that they are Nigerians. These yahoo boys have dealt our reputation such bad blow that the first thing you get out there on making it known that you are a Nigerian is "Mistrust". I am fed up, people.

I logged on to the net this morning and read the article below in Yahoo and that made me open this thread for us to brainstorm on what can be done to stop this daylight robbery that some Nigerians are inflicting on innocent persons in the internet. As you can see, the name Nigeria was used as an object of ridicule in that write up. If anybody has links(websites,agencies) that work on this issue they can let me know, I am very interested in working against this so that we can have our reputation back and innocent persons won't get robbed. I met a white woman in the internet that is almost wishing death on herself because what she has was taken by scammers. I am truly fed up.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/spot-top-3-biggest-scams-004950662.html

[size=20pt]
How to spot the web’s top 3 biggest scams[/size]

Don't be fooled by these internet scams that can steal your money, data, and even your identity
Necessity is the mother of invention, they say, and it's forced the current generation of scammers to get just a little more creative when they're trying to convince you to part with your hard-earned cash or valuable personal information. As people continue to move away from email, these criminals have shifted their focus to social networking services. Twitter, Facebook, and other online communities are plagued with spambots and other nasties ranging from annoying to downright dangerous. We've rounded up the worst offenders to show you how to stay safe online.

1. The Facebook flim-flam

This scam has cost well-wishing friends millions of dollars around the world and is often spread via Facebook, although it's made the rounds on Gmail as well. This one assumes the friends in your address book care enough about you to help you out after a mugging or other catastrophe while traveling.
This trick is simple in its execution. Someone gains access to your Facebook account (possibly through the sort of scam mentioned above) and then sends messages to everybody in your friends list. The message is a variation on a simple theme: "Help! I've been mugged in London! They took all my passport and all of my money!"
The sting comes when the scammer asks one of your friends if they could possibly spare a few hundred bucks to fund your emergency passport application, help with accommodations, purchase return airfare or food, or handle other things necessary for survival. Rather than using a bank transfer or other secure method, the scammer offers some excuse why the money would be better sent by Western Union or another untraceable method.
If you're on the receiving end of a plea for help like this, try another way of getting in touch with your friend. Call his cell phone, send an email, or text him. Even contact his friends or family to find out if he really is in trouble in London. If he's home, safe and sound, suggest that he contact Facebook to reclaim his hacked account and change the passwords on other online services.
Scams aren't always this obvious

2.The Twitter trap

One particularly new scam that has swarmed Twitter just last month preys on humanity's innate desire to know more about themselves. Sent as a direct message from someone you follow, it seems innocent enough: "Someone said this real bad thing about you in a blog, " The message arrives with a link attached, presumably to the offensive content.
At first glance, this is a friend or colleague looking out for you, bringing something unpleasant to your attention so you can deal with it accordingly. In reality, though, it's a program that will hijack your Twitter account, post to your stream, and send the same Direct Message to your followers. The link won't take you to a blog post (ego-crushing or otherwise) but instead goes to an online survey or page full of advertising designed to earn money for the scammers at a few cents per click.
While many scams and hoaxes are obvious, it can be difficult to resist finding out if that's really you getting bad mouthed on the internet. Really though, ignoring and deleting them is the only way to treat messages like this. If you're feeling friendly, contact the friend whose account sent the message to let them know their account's been hijacked; they should delete all of the compromised messages and change their online passwords.

[size=16pt]3. The reverse Nigerian Prince

We're all familiar with the Nigerian Prince scam that's spammed our email inboxes. In the scam, an emotional plea from Western Africa promises you gold and riches if you'll just help out with a little money first. Even though this is one of the most played-out email swindles in the history of the internet, it's still going on today. Now, however, a new variation has popped up.
An email arrives supposedly from Citibank Nigeria offering to help victims of the Nigerian Prince scam. Those responding with their full name and address are "eligible" for $50,000 in compensation. It won't take long for "Citibank" to reply, explaining that their names cannot be found in the database after a cursory search. There's still hope, however, by sending in a nominal fee ($50? $100? $500?), which will of course be refunded in full once their name has been found and the payment process started.
A closer look at the email reveals that it is hosted on a domain ending in .cn, which the email goes to great lengths to point out stands for Citibank Nigeria. Unfortunately, that's not true. The .cn extension actually indicates that the domain is based out of China — a fair distance away from Africa, wouldn't you say? Adding insult to injury, the addresses included in this email are sent from 9.cn, which is a Chinese version of Windows Live Mail; yes, the scammers are again using a free webmail provider.
The Nigerian government does not keep track of everybody who is tricked into sending money via the scam bearing the name of its country (many "Nigerian" scams come from all over the world, including the United States and Europe). There is no fund chock-full of compensation. While Citibank does have a branch in Nigeria, the company is not involved in getting you any money back and does not have email addresses ending in the .cn extension.
If this one pops up in your email, have a laugh over the latest spin on this age-old scam and its feeble attempt to hook you in, and then hit delete. [/size] It's safest.
As the internet offers us new and interesting ways to connect, there will always be scammers trying to use those services to swindle you. But a little common sense goes a long way no matter what form the scam takes. Messages offering easy money, a plea for help, or any kind of emotional response from you need to be ignored. If you feel compelled to look further, make sure you verify the source to make sure it's not coming from a friend's account that has been hijacked.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Ivynwa(f): 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2011
[size=15pt]Newborn on Nigeria payroll, earning $150 a month[/size]

I saw this caption now in yahoo and just as I was about heaving a sigh of relief that "Things are so good in Nigeria that a new born gets taken care of", I got disappointed on reading that it's all about same old Corruption. Does it mean that Nigeria now graces the homepage of yahoo each day with stories of corruption. I tire-o-o Pips. It's amazing how complacent everybody seem to have become, as if we have accepted corruption as part of our lives. When will the change begin if the people are not moved to change?? When are we wiping the stink of corruption off our society people, should we continue wallowing in stink and have stink follow us everywhere we go in the world?? Na Waa for my country-o-o-------

http://news.yahoo.com/newborn-nigeria-payroll-earning-150-month-142140450.html

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — A newborn baby in Nigeria got added to a government payroll, earning about $150 a month for the last two or three years, a discovery indicative of the widespread corruption starving the oil-rich West African nation of much needed funds, authorities said Friday.

The baby was one of many so-called "ghost workers" found to be getting salaries without performing a job, said Garba Gajam, the attorney general of Zamfara state located in Nigeria's arid and impoverished northwest.

The employee was listed as being 1-month-old in government records, but Gajam said the child's father actually started collecting the salary before the baby was born. Records also show that the baby has a diploma.

Zamfara state has asked government workers to present their letters of employment and qualifications in a verification exercise meant to reverse a trend that has government workers giving fictitious jobs to family members to boost their pay checks.

"It's at the local government level that this is most rampant," said Gajam. "Leaving the local government with nothing to execute projects."

The local government is responsible for maintaining roads, disposing of garbage and providing public transportation. But diversions of funds, such as to "ghost workers," means the majority of Nigerians are left with virtually no services from their government.

Offenders in Zamfara state will have to refund all the money collected over the years and will also most likely be prosecuted, said Gajam.

But analysts say the trend cuts across the country.

"There is no state in Nigeria that doesn't have ghost workers," says Thompson Ayodele, director of Initiative for Public Policy Analysis in Lagos. "In this case, at least the baby is alive, what about the thousands of ghost workers who don't even exist?"

"Ghost workers" collect salaries and eventually qualify for pensions as well. The money is actually paid into the accounts of the people who created the identities.

"(Government workers) even continue collecting the pensions of dead people," says Ayodele who authored a book on the issue.

Eight people are standing trial at the moment for diverting pension funds using "nonexistent" persons, said Femi Babafemi, spokesman for Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

"Meanwhile, the real pensioners who earned these funds were left unattended to," he said.

Nigeria, a top crude oil supplier to the U.S., has a long history of corruption, with one official once estimating the country has lost more than $380 billion to graft since gaining its independence from Britain in 1960. Corruption trickles down from politicians in the capital city of Abuja to the lowest police officer who shake down bribes at traffic checkpoints

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by okadaman2: 9:42pm On Nov 12, 2011
Ivynwa, This is not new, Nigerian Scam is one of the most common punch lines on Yahoo, anytime they post a story about Africa.

I'm happy you are mad about it. Please follow @omojuwa or #occupyNigeria on twitter. Read updates and play a part.

Anger and shame is good. We must channel our emotions effectively to correct our country. Call your family in Nigeria too and tell them to join and support the movement.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Rhino5dm: 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2011
Please visit this website to see how the canker worm has eaten deep in to fibric of Nigerians. Even here on Nairaland, i have taken up scammers like BEAF though, I was mindful of how they will group and come for my head.

For them, such business is booming, in that they have started migrating away from the conventional sending of generic scam e-mails to unfortunate victims, to esterblishment of fake websites with the intent of making the business look more genuine.

www.afrosciencecommunity.com .

This ^^^website is supposedly meant to help people as boldly written on the home but , when you scratch of the thin shiny layer of suger mint, there lies beneath a deep scamming bait and grand scheme to lure and scam innocent people/ government.

We need to expose this set of lazy people which believes in making fast money through all sort dubious means.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Rhino5dm: 10:29pm On Nov 12, 2011
Again the Nigerian government is now part of the internet scam.

There is this initiative set up by the government to create jobs for the youths. The question is how genuine could it be? A cursory look at the so called website will expose the scam behind everything.

Checkout this . . .from the website

1. The website does not have any contact address/office/phone other than a form . This is program the government is going to spend 50 billion Naira on shocked
You just submit your propasal and thats ALL. No phone number, no office address.
www.youwin.org.ng. Lets assume of the above is meant to reduce to effect of lobby from Nigerians.

2. The company that design the Data base for the Youwin initiative is a fraud. When you follow the link to the company that build the data base i.e www.domystuffservices.com, you will be surprised that the company's website is one big trash, just single page without any previous experience. No contacts. No office address.

When you google their name, there is nothing about them on the whole google except their facebook page and twitter.

How can a company without ANY office nor contact be handling data for a project worth 50 billion naira?
How did the government manage to contact them for the task. What baffle's me most is "Do-MY-Stuff" facebook page was created about the same time GEJ was sworn in!!!
Thier twitter is only 16 followers!!!

That was the time BEAF went missing for almose 3 months from Nairaland!!!

Our government gave a company with no office, no contact address,no registration with CAC the task to handle her 50 billion naira project.

50 billion naira to create fake 1200 jobs??

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 12, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Again the Nigerian government is now part of the internet scam.

There is this initiative set up by the government to create jobs for the youths. The question is how genuine could it be? A cursory look at the so called website will expose the scam behind everything.

Checkout this . . .from the website

1. The website does not have any contact address/office/phone other than a form . This is program the government is going to spend 50 billion Naira on shocked
You just submit your propasal and thats ALL. No phone number, no office address.
www.youwin.org.ng. Lets assume of the above is meant to reduce to effect of lobby from Nigerians.

2. The company that design the Data base for the Youwin initiative is a fraud. When you follow the link to the company that build the data base i.e www.domystuffservices.com, you will be surprised that the company's website is one big trash, just single page without any previous experience. No contacts. No office address.

When you google their name, there is nothing about them on the whole google except their facebook page and twitter.

How can a company without ANY office nor contact be handling data for a project worth 50 billion naira?
How did the government manage to contact them for the task. What baffle's me most is "Do-MY-Stuff" facebook page was created about the same time GEJ was sworn in!!!
Thier twitter is only 16 followers!!!

That was the time BEAF went missing for almose 3 months from Nairaland!!!

Our government gave a company with no office, no contact address,no registration with CAC the task to handle her 50 billion naira project.

50 billion naira to create fake 1200 jobs??

I hear you @Rhino.5dm

In fairness, though, it is possible to retrieve some additional information on this group using the links copied in further below:
We are a Company that stands for professionalism in the area of applications development. With our head office in Nigeria and offices in Basildon, United Kingdom Do-My-Stuff Services was setup in 2009 by two serial internet entrepreneurs and a banker, Simeon Ononobi, John Adebowale and Stella Nnodi respectively. Do-My-Stuff Services strives as a company that develops, manages and/or sells cutting-edge mobile and web Applications and services to the mobile phone industry and internet community. Do-My-Stuff Services is different from most application development Companies in the sense that its expertise covers the wide spectrum of different mobile Phone operating systems, from Java, J2ME, I-phone and Symbian to Windows/Windows Smartphone and Blackberry and Google’s android. We achieve interoperability across platforms by working closely with handset manufacturers like Nokia, RIM (Research in Motion), Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung etc.
http://www.domystuffservices.com/contactus.php
http://www.domystuffservices.com/whatwedo.php

Still, it boggles the mind that a high-tech company which has been in existence since 2009 only got round to registering its domain name in February 2011? - just in time to seal the deal on a huge government contract <idea>? grin

Is it also registered with the CAC ?

More smoke and mirrors, eh?

No cause for alarm!
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Rhino5dm: 3:56am On Nov 13, 2011
^
Thanks bruv for the info.
Do you notice where they announce the release of new app in october? That was a scam. Where is the app?? The facebook page is really bleeped.

Hey! It is 50 billion Naira we are talking about here? Just that am very busy, i would have send some article exposing this fraud to some national dalies and SR. Why
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by fxpro1: 9:05am On Nov 13, 2011
Ha naija we hail thee, Using a nigerian ip on the net sef na wahala,enough limitations.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Ivynwa(f): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
@Okadaman, Rhino, fxpro, Eguerilla
Thanks to you guys, glad to know that there are other concerned Nigerians like you.
We must all rack our brains, make research, gather info and work towards cleaning our reputation and stopping this madness for money that is going. I will make out time to contact the EFCC and any organisation in the net that works against that to see what lil part I can play. I don't know why I hate that very much, I truly want to see that stop.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Kilode1: 10:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
^

You want to contact EFCC?   shocked shocked  grin grin

Where have you been?

You've not heard that EFCC is under Yahoo Yahoo??  embarassed

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU21wuYlvxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by RickyRoss1(m): 10:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
WHATS NEW? NIGERIAN SCAM? NAME ONE COUNTRY ON EARTH THAT DOESNT HAVE SCAMMERS? WHAT ABOUT RUSSIAN DATING SCAMMERS THAT SEND ME FAKE FOTOS EVERYDAY, WHAT ABOUT JAMAICAN LOTTERY SCAMMERS THAT KEEPS BOMBING MY MAILBOX DAILY, WHAT ABOUT AMERICAN PONZI SCAMMERS THAT STEAL BILLIONS OF DOLLARS INFACT THE WESTERN WORLD HAS STOLEN ALOT OF MONEY FROM AFRICA, SO IF YOU ARE AN AFRICAN AND SMART ENOUGH TO REPATRIATE SOME OF THOSE FUNDS LEGALLY OR ILLEGALLY THEN GO AHEAD, IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY HERE, ALL THEM AFRICANS WORSHIP BIG MEN, ITS ALL ABOUT BEING EXTREMELY RICH PEOPLE GO WORSHIP YOU, ITS BETTER THAN DYING IN ABJECT POVERTY KNOWING FULLY WELL YOUR POLITICIANS DONT GIVE A PHUCK,  

MIND YOU, I USED TO BLAME YAHOO YAHOO BOYS BUT AFTER VISITING 7 WESTERN COUNTRIES I HAVE REALIZED WE HAVENT GOT ANY CHOICE, INFACT IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO BRING ALL THE WEALTH IN BRITIAN BACK TO AFRICA ABEG CARRY GO

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Tunmi(f): 10:58pm On Nov 13, 2011
Ricky_Ross, okay so scammers dey everywhere. That one no be lie. But, we wan clean the one wey we get for Naija. If them Russians and Jamaicans and co no wan clean them, na their own palava be dat. But for us o, we don tire. And we wan do sometin about it. I know say Naija get better ting pass yahoo-yahoo, and we wan make the better ting show. Na im be dat.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Kilode1: 11:03pm On Nov 13, 2011
Tunmi:

Ricky_Ross, okay so scammers dey everywhere. That one no be lie. But, we wan clean the one wey we get for Naija. If them Russians and Jamaicans and co no wan clean them, na their own palava be dat. But for us o, we don tire. And we wan do sometin about it. I know say Naija get better ting pass yahoo-yahoo, and we wan make the better ting show. Na im be dat.

Omoluabi with correct sense. How you dey?
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Ivynwa(f): 11:38pm On Nov 13, 2011
Tunmi:

You are right Tunmi. It's true crime is everywhere yet countries are seriously fighting it. The corruption from our own end is very much and it looks like nothing much is being done to curb it as others are doing.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 14, 2011
You have on one occasion ten years ago tipped the police (crime fighters) into busting a gang and catching up with them. shocked shocked shocked

What makes you think the police DPO's and IG dont have yahoo boys that works for them? Stop the beef and mind your F**king business, Poverty alleviation programme is the name. grin grin grin
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by hrhobi1(m): 9:45am On Nov 14, 2011
una no get work. ur simply jealous of your neighbor who just got for himself a brand new car and you never even buy okada, if u can't beat them better join them .hehehehehe
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2011
@ poster visit 3rd mainland bridge and take a dive or if there is any nearby transformer give it a hug, it will make you feel better.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by ololo12: 9:53am On Nov 14, 2011
@ Poster.

The west are the biggest scammers in the history of man kind.  I don't need to tell you the billions of dollars they've stolen from this continent. so any means those yahoo yahoo boys can use to recoup back the stolen funds. I dey kampe with them.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Frazy(f): 9:54am On Nov 14, 2011
I was expecting some of the replies that are coming in now. Like being jelous and some people not having job. Hmmm, . .smh
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by justwise(m): 9:55am On Nov 14, 2011
[b]
Ricky_Ross:

WHATS NEW? NIGERIAN SCAM? NAME ONE COUNTRY ON EARTH THAT DOESNT HAVE SCAMMERS? WHAT ABOUT RUSSIAN DATING SCAMMERS THAT SEND ME FAKE FOTOS EVERYDAY, WHAT ABOUT JAMAICAN LOTTERY SCAMMERS THAT KEEPS BOMBING MY MAILBOX DAILY,  WHAT ABOUT AMERICAN PONZI SCAMMERS THAT STEAL BILLIONS OF DOLLARS INFACT THE WESTERN WORLD HAS STOLEN ALOT OF MONEY FROM AFRICA, SO IF YOU ARE AN AFRICAN AND SMART ENOUGH TO REPATRIATE SOME OF THOSE FUNDS LEGALLY OR ILLEGALLY THEN GO AHEAD,  IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY HERE, ALL THEM AFRICANS WORSHIP BIG MEN, ITS ALL ABOUT BEING EXTREMELY RICH PEOPLE GO WORSHIP YOU,  ITS BETTER THAN DYING IN ABJECT POVERTY KNOWING FULLY WELL YOUR POLITICIANS DONT GIVE A PHUCK,   

MIND YOU, I USED TO BLAME YAHOO YAHOO BOYS BUT AFTER VISITING 7 WESTERN COUNTRIES I HAVE REALIZED WE HAVENT GOT ANY CHOICE,  INFACT IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO BRING ALL THE WEALTH IN BRITIAN BACK TO AFRICA ABEG CARRY GO
[/b]

Typical response from some seriously ignorant Nigerians, shock horror!!!
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Frazy(f): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2011
Really, typical response indeed.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by justwise(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2011
ololo12:

@ Poster.

The west are the biggest scammers in the history of man kind.  I don't need to tell you the billions of dollars they've stolen from this continent. so any means those yahoo yahoo boys can use to recoup back the stolen funds. I dey kampe with them.

Another shameless Nigerian, i knew that so many of you will post things like this.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by justwise(m): 10:16am On Nov 14, 2011
Frazy:

Really, typical response indeed.

The same pple supporting this criminal act will be the first to be blame the devil the moment they are arrested to locked up. Bunch of hopeless criminals.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by 9jaIhail(m): 10:18am On Nov 14, 2011
@Ivynwa

HONESTLY EVERY HUMAN WITH CONSCIENCE KNOWS YAHOO YAHOO IS NOT A BUSINESS.BUT I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT YAHOO YAHOO STARTED FROM THE WEST RIGHT FROM THE SLAVE TRADE TILL THIS DAY.DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE WEST STEAL FROM AFRICANS IN THE NAME OF DIPLOMAT? I WILL LIKE TO SAY IF THE AFRICANS CAN RETURN THOSE LOOTED FUNDS BACK TO AFRICAN BY ANY MEANS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL I AM CARELESS TO KNOW HOW THEY GONNA DO IT BUT I SUPPORT AFRICANS TO SEIZE ANY OPPORTUNITY THEY HAVE TO LOOT THOSE MONEY BACK TO AFRICA. YOU SAID U HAVE ONE TIME INVITE SECURITY AND THEY ARRESTED INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE FIGHTING TO RECOLLECT WHAT THE WEST HAVE STOLEN FROM THIS NATION? IF IT IS TRUE I MUST SAY U ARE EVIL. WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEADERS WHO ARE SCAMMING US IN DAY LIGHT? HAVE YOUR SECURITIES ARRESTED THEM? DON'T BE FOOLISH.OBJ,IBB ATIKU,BUHARI,ABUSALAM ABUBAKAR ETC, GET THEM ARRESTED AND FREE THE INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE ON A RETURN MATCH MISSION WITH THE WESTERNERS OR BETTER STILL YOU JOIN THEM AND FIGHT FOR THE INJUSTICE THE WEST HAVE BEEN DOING TO AFRICAN,PLEASE I AM IN A GOOD MOOD THIS MORNING DON'T MAKE ME POUR ACID ON YOU
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Maximip(m): 10:29am On Nov 14, 2011
Ivynwa:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/spot-top-3-biggest-scams-004950662.html

[size=16pt]3. The reverse Nigerian Prince

We're all familiar with the Nigerian Prince scam that's spammed our email inboxes. In the scam, an emotional plea from Western Africa promises you gold and riches if you'll just help out with a little money first. Even though this is one of the most played-out email swindles in the history of the internet, it's still going on today. Now, however, a new variation has popped up.
An email arrives supposedly from Citibank Nigeria offering to help victims of the Nigerian Prince scam. Those responding with their full name and address are "eligible" for $50,000 in compensation. It won't take long for "Citibank" to reply, explaining that their names cannot be found in the database after a cursory search. There's still hope, however, by sending in a nominal fee ($50? $100? $500?), which will of course be refunded in full once their name has been found and the payment process started.
A closer look at the email reveals that it is hosted on a domain ending in .cn, which the email goes to great lengths to point out stands for Citibank Nigeria. Unfortunately, that's not true. The .cn extension actually indicates that the domain is based out of China — a fair distance away from Africa, wouldn't you say? Adding insult to injury, the addresses included in this email are sent from 9.cn, which is a Chinese version of Windows Live Mail; yes, the scammers are again using a free webmail provider.
The Nigerian government does not keep track of everybody who is tricked into sending money via the scam bearing the name of its country ([size=18pt]many "Nigerian" scams come from all over the world, including the United States and Europe[/size]). There is no fund chock-full of compensation. While Citibank does have a branch in Nigeria, the company is not involved in getting you any money back and does not have email addresses ending in the .cn extension.
If this one pops up in your email, have a laugh over the latest spin on this age-old scam and its feeble attempt to hook you in, and then hit delete. [/size] It's safest.
As the internet offers us new and interesting ways to connect, there will always be scammers trying to use those services to swindle you. But a little common sense goes a long way no matter what form the scam takes. Messages offering easy money, a plea for help, or any kind of emotional response from you need to be ignored. If you feel compelled to look further, make sure you verify the source to make sure it's not coming from a friend's account that has been hijacked.

I read the article some days ago. Just deny the damn country.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by justwise(m): 10:32am On Nov 14, 2011
9ja_I_hail:

@Ivynwa

HONESTLY EVERY HUMAN WITH CONSCIENCE KNOWS YAHOO YAHOO IS NOT A BUSINESS.BUT I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT YAHOO YAHOO STARTED FROM THE WEST RIGHT FROM THE SLAVE TRADE TILL THIS DAY.[b]DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE WEST STEAL FROM AFRICANS [/b]IN THE NAME OF DIPLOMAT? I WILL LIKE TO SAY IF THE AFRICANS CAN RETURN THOSE LOOTED FUNDS BACK TO AFRICAN BY ANY MEANS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL I AM CARELESS TO KNOW HOW THEY GONNA DO IT BUT I SUPPORT AFRICANS TO SEIZE ANY OPPORTUNITY THEY HAVE TO LOOT THOSE MONEY BACK TO AFRICA. YOU SAID U HAVE ONE TIME INVITE SECURITY AND THEY ARRESTED INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE FIGHTING TO RECOLLECT WHAT THE WEST HAVE STOLEN FROM THIS NATION? IF IT IS TRUE I MUST SAY U ARE EVIL. WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEADERS WHO ARE SCAMMING US IN DAY LIGHT? HAVE YOUR SECURITIES ARRESTED THEM? DON'T BE FOOLISH.OBJ,IBB ATIKU,BUHARI,ABUSALAM ABUBAKAR ETC, GET THEM ARRESTED AND FREE THE INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE ON A RETURN MATCH MISSION WITH THE WESTERNERS OR BETTER STILL YOU JOIN THEM AND FIGHT FOR THE INJUSTICE THE WEST HAVE BEEN DOING TO AFRICAN,PLEASE I AM IN A GOOD MOOD THIS MORNING DON'T MAKE ME POUR ACID ON YOU

The same lame, st[i]upi[/i]d excuses we hear from every min[i]dle[/i]ss mo[i]r[/i]on here.

When will aspiring criminals like you face the fact?
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Frazy(f): 10:34am On Nov 14, 2011
9ja_I_hail:

@Ivynwa

HONESTLY EVERY HUMAN WITH CONSCIENCE KNOWS YAHOO YAHOO IS NOT A BUSINESS.BUT I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT YAHOO YAHOO STARTED FROM THE WEST RIGHT FROM THE SLAVE TRADE TILL THIS DAY.DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE WEST STEAL FROM AFRICANS IN THE NAME OF DIPLOMAT? I WILL LIKE TO SAY IF THE AFRICANS CAN RETURN THOSE LOOTED FUNDS BACK TO AFRICAN BY ANY MEANS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL I AM CARELESS TO KNOW HOW THEY GONNA DO IT BUT I SUPPORT AFRICANS TO SEIZE ANY OPPORTUNITY THEY HAVE TO LOOT THOSE MONEY BACK TO AFRICA. YOU SAID U HAVE ONE TIME INVITE SECURITY AND THEY ARRESTED INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE FIGHTING TO RECOLLECT WHAT THE WEST HAVE STOLEN FROM THIS NATION? IF IT IS TRUE I MUST SAY U ARE EVIL. WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEADERS WHO ARE SCAMMING US IN DAY LIGHT? HAVE YOUR SECURITIES ARRESTED THEM? DON'T BE FOOLISH.OBJ,IBB ATIKU,BUHARI,ABUSALAM ABUBAKAR ETC, GET THEM ARRESTED AND FREE THE INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE ON A
RETURN MATCH MISSION WITH THE WESTERNERS OR

BETTER STILL YOU JOIN THEM AND FIGHT FOR THE INJUSTICE THE WEST HAVE BEEN DOING TO AFRICAN,PLEASE I AM IN A
GOOD MOOD THIS MORNING DON'T MAKE ME POUR ACID ON YOU

Stop spewing trash. Ignoramus!
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by yusuf01(m): 10:42am On Nov 14, 2011
it's so funny how people defend their heinous crime with stupid excuses saying Nigerians are not the only internet scammers. Good we are not, but why is Nigeria the only country that has it's name inscribed on any face of internet scam. Do a Google search on internet scam and it won't be long before you see 'Nigerian Scam'. In fact, it's disgusting. Nigeria as a country as been denied the basic necessities of the online world. Recently, Google has blacklisted us, we can't even open a gmail anymore; it's dat pathetic. This follows a long line of companies that just don't want us in their database. Think about Paypal, Moneybookers and the likes. These are basic only necessities but we are barred simply because of the acts of some people that will see the wrath of God. It's frustrating, I tell you.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by N101: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2011
ololo12:

@ Poster.

9ja_I_hail:

@Ivynwa

HONESTLY EVERY HUMAN WITH CONSCIENCE KNOWS YAHOO YAHOO IS NOT A BUSINESS.BUT I WANT TO INFORM YOU THAT YAHOO YAHOO STARTED FROM THE WEST RIGHT FROM THE SLAVE TRADE TILL THIS DAY.DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE WEST STEAL FROM AFRICANS IN THE NAME OF DIPLOMAT? I WILL LIKE TO SAY IF THE AFRICANS CAN RETURN THOSE LOOTED FUNDS BACK TO AFRICAN BY ANY MEANS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL I AM CARELESS TO KNOW HOW THEY GONNA DO IT BUT I SUPPORT AFRICANS TO SEIZE ANY OPPORTUNITY THEY HAVE TO LOOT THOSE MONEY BACK TO AFRICA. YOU SAID U HAVE ONE TIME INVITE SECURITY AND THEY ARRESTED INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE FIGHTING TO RECOLLECT WHAT THE WEST HAVE STOLEN FROM THIS NATION? IF IT IS TRUE I MUST SAY U ARE EVIL. WHAT ABOUT YOUR LEADERS WHO ARE SCAMMING US IN DAY LIGHT? HAVE YOUR SECURITIES ARRESTED THEM? DON'T BE FOOLISH.OBJ,IBB ATIKU,BUHARI,ABUSALAM ABUBAKAR ETC, GET THEM ARRESTED AND FREE THE INNOCENT CITIZENS WHO ARE ON A RETURN MATCH MISSION WITH THE WESTERNERS OR BETTER STILL YOU JOIN THEM AND FIGHT FOR THE INJUSTICE THE WEST HAVE BEEN DOING TO AFRICAN,PLEASE I AM IN A GOOD MOOD THIS MORNING DON'T MAKE ME POUR ACID ON YOU

Very lazy primary school thinking.  What's so special about Nigerians being given a bad name because of scamming - I'm sure for you it's a good thing.  I bet you are among those same people who will complain about government frauding the populace but can't see the beam in your own eye.  

Big deal, Europeans raped a whole bunch of countries, clap for yourself.  The difference is that when you think India or Malaysia, you don't automatically think scam or fraud, and those countries have had equally similar history to Nigeria.  Sadly most people don't think "progressive" and "innovative" when Nigeria comes to mind.

A lot of those countries Europeans plundered managed to pull themselves up to the point that the former colonisers are now looking for these same countries to bail them out of their financial woes.  

What's the point attempting a reasonable response to you Carry go, nothing do you.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by 9jaIhail(m): 11:00am On Nov 14, 2011
@ Very lazy primary school thinking. What's so special about Nigerians being given a bad name because of scamming - I'm sure for you it's a good thing. I bet you are among those same people who will complain about government frauding the populace but can't see the beam in your own eye.

Big deal, Europeans violated a whole bunch of countries, clap for yourself. The difference is that when you think India or Malaysia, you don't automatically think scam or fraud, and those countries have had equally similar history to Nigeria. Sadly most people don't think "progressive" and "innovative" when Nigeria comes to mind.

A lot of those countries Europeans plundered managed to pull themselves up to the point that the former colonisers are now looking for these same countries to bail them out of their financial woes.

What's the point attempting a reasonable response to you Huh Carry go, nothing do you.

you must be feeding from the nose.what stop you from seeing the main point in my statement,get ibb,obj,atiku and co arrested then Nigerians will start seeing our security agencies as serious one.u mention India and Malaysia,do you know what the Government of India or Malaysia is spending on a daily basis to make sure they provide adequate facilities needed for their citizens to be able to excel in their individual skills? i think you need to be informed how to fight corruption.i was in India last year i saw how many Nigerians especially the Igbo's who got the skills of manufacturing many things, different things but they do it under India Government why because our Government is careless all of them focus attention on oil money.SCUMS
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by hrhobi1(m): 11:19am On Nov 14, 2011
@9ja I hail thee, U BE MAN LEAVE ALL THOSE HYPOCRITES ALONE, ASK THEM WHERE THEIR FATHERS AND MOTHERS GOT THE MONEY DEY USED IN RAISIN THEM UP , CHILDREN OF THIEVES DEY PRETEND SAY NA DEM GOOD PASS. @OP YOU ARE BIG FOOL AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN A BIG FOOL, WEN NEXT U C UR NEIGHBOR DRIVE HIM TEAR RUBBER CAR PASS YOU , RUN HOME AND KISS THE NEAREST ELECTRIC SOCKET.
Re: Somebody Help! I'm Fed Up With What Scammers Are Doing To Our Reputation. by Slyr0x: 11:31am On Nov 14, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Money By Buying And Selling Pop Cement / How Does One Start A Beer Distribution Business / Why Is Africa Not Developing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.