Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? (1289 Views)

Is It A Crime Not To Believe In Any Of The Holy Book? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Joagbaje(m): 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
I know what it means to drive an old car, I know what it means to be stranded in the middle of nowhere sometimes at night in a journey because of broken car. I've been there when my car get dunked in the sand or mud and BAD Samaritans comes to push ,only to harass me for money later. That was years ago.

That's one if the things that prompted me to be helping those who get stuck on the way . By towing thier vehicles to safety. I do this regularly as I see such needs.

But recently I got arrested for towing without licence . Is it a crime to help a brother out? Has anyone heard this before?
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by inedi: 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2011
I have heard of such situation before were someone was stranded and when he tried to help tow the person he was arrested for doing that, and the issue was that he did not have a permit for it, I thought it was a joke not until I made some findings from the Federal Road Safety, Police and the licensing office, and they all confirmed it to be so in Nigerian Law. The reason they gave was that there special vehicle for towing and you most have permit and a licence. My problem with this is that, why will a man be arrested for trying to help a fellow, considering some of the dangerous position some of the persons find them self. From my findings the Nigerian Police, FRSC, Licencing office have not given a good reason for this Law, at list before something becomes a Law, it then means that there is some level of danger that particular thing will cause to the society, they should explain that to the populous. I for one still don't understand, I really need an explanation to this effect, how I which this topic is being discoursed in a forum were we have this agencies .
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Joagbaje(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
I said " licence " I actualy meant "permit" . So what if I want to tow my boat or caravan?
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Azibalua(f): 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
Joagbaje:

I know what it means to drive an old car, I know what it means to be stranded in the middle of nowhere sometimes at night in a journey because of broken car. I've been there when my car get dunked in the sand or mud and BAD Samaritans comes to push ,only to harass me for money later. That was years ago.
That's one if the things that prompted me to be helping those who get stuck on the way . By towing thier vehicles to safety. I do this regularly as I see such needs.
But recently I got arrested for towing without licence . Is it a crime to help a brother out? Has anyone heard this before?
Aah
Arrested ké
This is new to me oh, permit for towing? Which office handles this
I have not heard of such before oh
So what happened next?
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Joagbaje(m): 6:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
Azibalua:

So what happened next?

Well , I was arguing my way. I actually thought they were just being funny.but it's not about what happen next , I'm more concern about future occurrence. Because i still dey do am! I just want to hear if others encountered such police palava in the name of helping .

@inedi
I feel if there's any law it should have been only for commercial towing van. Not for a good Samaritan .
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by tpia5: 6:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
I know overseas you have to call a tow truck to get your car towed.

Didnt know it applied in nigeria as well.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by tpia5: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2011
I guess another option would be to push the car to the side of the road and give the driver a lift to his destination.

However, for security reasons, since it IS nigeria, helping him call a cab could also be considered.

Things are hard sometimes.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by mabell: 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
Joagbaje:

I don't believe this
So what did the driver you helped do about it and how were you released
Where you taken to the station?
Pls explain o!
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by nlMediator: 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
Joagbaje:

Well , I was arguing my way. I actually thought they were just being funny.but it's not about what happen next , I'm more concern about future occurrence. Because i still dey do am! I just want to hear if others encountered such police palava in the name of helping .

@inedi
I feel if there's any law it should have been only for commercial towing van. Not for a good Samaritan .

Laws that require people to have a permit to conduct a business or license to provide a professional service are usually there to protect the public from untrained providers, generate revenue for the government or present a barrier to entry thereby keeping the money in the hands of those already in the trade who also probably lobbied for the law. If you want to continue to tow, maybe you should consider getting a license. That way, the government people won't be mad with you since the revenue part is taken care of. But you may still be an enemy of tow-truck owners and their drivers. Safety is probably the least on the list of factors, given the Nigerian situation.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Joagbaje(m): 10:11pm On Nov 11, 2011
nlMediator:

Laws that require people to have a permit to conduct a business or license to provide a professional service are usually there to protect the public from untrained providers, generate revenue for the government or present a barrier to entry thereby keeping the money in the hands of those already in the trade who also probably lobbied for the law.

I understand. Im not spoiling bussiness for Tow men. I mostly get involved in situations where there's no help or where they have bad Samaritans . Take for example, one night on the express between ph and warri , there was a blockade which made of us to take the freshly sand filled and uncompleted dualized part. It rained . And up to 10 buses sank with mama ,papa, children as passengers. Some I learnt have been there for hours. I got them all out. But there are cases where one has to help a broken vehicle in the middle of nowhere to a nearest place of safety. Are we going to consider law in such desperate situations especially if your car is full?

If you want to continue to tow, maybe you should consider getting a license. That way, the government people won't be mad with you since the revenue part is taken care of. But you may still be an enemy of tow-truck owners and their drivers. Safety is probably the least on the list of factors, given the Nigerian situation.

I made more enquiry now and the information I'm getting is that such lincense is only issued to commercial operators. will I now go and join association because I wan help people? My conclusion is that there are times one may have to follows ones heart depite whatever law. Especially if the law is contrary to spiritual law cool After all I've seen an advert on CNN where one broken down fish truck was towed by another bigger good Samaritan truck. No permit! cool
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by tpia5: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2011
^^how do you know there was no permit?

westerners tend to tow things like boats, cars [when in RVs], etc.

they generally have permits for such, i should think.

even when its just for recreation.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Joagbaje(m): 11:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
^^^^
maybe you've not seen the advert on CNN . I'm not talking about a towing van. A truck carrying frozen fishes broke down at the outskirts of a town, another truck driver passing by considered the melting fishes and Towed him into the town, honked and waived bye bye.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by nlMediator: 11:36pm On Nov 11, 2011
Joagbaje:

I understand. Im not spoiling bussiness for Tow men. I mostly get involved in situations where there's no help or where they have bad Samaritans . Take for example, one night on the express between ph and warri , there was a blockade which made of us to take the freshly sand filled and uncompleted dualized part. It rained . And up to 10 buses sank with mama ,papa, children as passengers. Some I learnt have been there for hours. I got them all out. But there are cases where one has to help a broken vehicle in the middle of nowhere to a nearest place of safety. Are we going to consider law in such desperate situations especially if your car is full?

I made more enquiry now and the information I'm getting is that such lincense is only issued to commercial operators. will I now go and join association because I wan help people? My conclusion is that there are times one may have to follows ones heart depite whatever law. Especially if the law is contrary to spiritual law cool After all I've seen an advert on CNN where one broken down fish truck was towed by another bigger good Samaritan truck. No permit! cool

Ha ha, by definition, you're spoiling business for them! What do you think would have happened to those 10 buses and other broken-down vehicles if there are no good samaritans like you? The business will be shared between the bad samaritans and the tow-truck owners, who by the way would also be considered the good guys. I do think, though the law does not make sense - the way you describe it (well, same goes for many laws!) especially considering that there are many bad roads in Nigeria and very few towing companies. There may be a way to get round the law, if one takes a closer look at it. Is it possible for you to post the particular provision or mention the exact statute so one can look it up? At the very least, the law should allow towing, where the driver of disabled vehicle requests it.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by joie12(f): 11:39pm On Nov 11, 2011
We are supplier of 100% Cuticle Virgin Brazilian, Indian, Malaysian, Peruvian, Mongolian and Bohemian Human Hair to Europe and Africa. Wholesale, Retail and to Individuals. To Order please call +33673133110 or Mail us on: jdivanaturalhair@yahoo.fr

Visit our facebook page and click on ''LIKE'' to get a friendly and xmas discount. http://www.facebook.com/pages/J-diva-Natural-Hair/152261351454265?sk=wall

We have stock in France, Nigeria and Ghana.

Cheers!

Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by tpia5: 11:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Joagbaje

the cnn advert doesnt necessarily mean the vehicle featured didnt have a towing permit.

What kind of truck did the towing?

A commercial truck or an suv?

In any case, one can also assume the commercial wouldnt be intended to imply its ok to tow a vehicle without a required permit.

Overseas people can get stopped for practically anything especially if you're you know what colour, so deciding to tow a vehicle without a required permit might be risky.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by tpia5: 11:46pm On Nov 11, 2011
Though i think a warning might have sufficed for a first offence, in this instance.

Oh well, lord have mercy.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by Kxy(m): 12:05am On Nov 12, 2011
That's bad.
Re: Is It A Crime To Help A Brother Out? by newmi(m): 11:58am On Nov 12, 2011
Joagbaje:

Wow didn't know that there "bad samaritans" or perhaps l should paraphrase "Samaritans that are bad" l thought all samaritans are good afterall l would be excused to think so especially when thats the most we have heard as being indicatative of the samaritans

Joagbaje:

Well yes at least your story is my first grin

(1) (Reply)

Ex-chosen Member Expose Pastor Lazarus In His....... / Muslims Are More Religious Than Christian FACTS / Does Falling Under Anointing Suggests One Has An Evil Spirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.