Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia (23879 Views)

True Election Or Mass Suicide? / Chinese Protestors Attempt Mass Suicide In Bid For Justice / MASS SUICIDE: 20 Die Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2011
The Yoruba people have a nick name for Igbos, namely Aje’kuta ma mu’mi, meaning person wey dey eat rock without the need to wash it down with water.  I think those who gave Igbos that name were spot on.  These people are some of the most stubborn human beings I’ve ever met. I say stubborn in a good way.   These people lost a war 45 years ago but are still fighting the same way today (olodos). As some Ijaw posters claimed, they captured Igbos  and sold them off into slavery.  The story below shows that even when the Igbo slaves arrived at their Georgia destination, they decided to commit mass suicide instead of remaining in slavery. For that act of touchness I say, Igbo Kwueze nu!!!

Ebo Landing (originally Igbo, also Ibo) is a small moment in the historical southem past. The legend that remains is a reminder of a life and the tradgedy of slavery. Women and men from the Ebo tribe were brought from southern Nigeria, in the western part of Africa, to Savannah, Georgia to be auctioned off as slaves. Two families from St. Simons Island, Georgia purchased these slaves and had them shipped to the Island on a ship named Morovia.
The captain's own slave was the first to commit suicide by drowning in Dunbar Creek. Then the Ebo chief began chanting, "The Sea brought me and the Sea will bring me home." There was no questioning the chief's decisions. They all began chanting together. Chained one to the other, they came into port and were lead toward the dock. But, instead of walking onto the bank into a life of slavery, they all turned and followed their chief into the depths of Dunbar Creek.

http://www.glynncounty.com/History_and_Lore/Ebo_Landing/

Hmmm - more

Ebo Landing is located in St. Simons, Georgia. It is said that the chanting of Igbo people can still be heard at the mouth of Dunbar Creek. The creek is near Sea Island on the southeast coast of St. Simon Island. In the 1850s a group of chained enslaved Igbo people were being held on the beach. They had just arrived to America on board the slave ship, The Wanderer, which crashed when the vessel ran ashore. While being held on the beach, the slaves made a suicide pact. Instead of living the rest of their lives in chains, they ran, chained to each other, into the water and drowned. The site is supposedly haunted by their ghosts. People have reported hearing the sound of irons chattering as the slaves ran from the beach into the water.

Google Ebo landing to read more about these tough people.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
That's the Igbo spirit. we don't take no for answer. We'd rather fight to death than being humiliated.

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Ogbonaikenna(m): 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2011
We igbos believe in the dignity of the human race and would rather die than serve the white. For more information you can log on to www.ekwenche.org

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Relax101(m): 7:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

The Yoruba people have a nick name for Igbos, namely Aje’kuta ma mu’mi, meaning person wey dey eat rock without the need to wash it down with water.  I think those who gave Igbos that name were spot on.  These people are some of the most stubborn human beings I’ve ever met. I say stubborn in a good way.   These people lost a war 45 years ago but are still fighting the same way today (olodos). As some Ijaw posters claimed, they captured Igbos  and sold them off into slavery.  The story below shows that even when the Igbo slaves arrived at their Georgia destination, they decided to commit mass suicide instead of remaining in slavery. For that act of touchness I say, Igbo Kwueze nu!!!

Hmmm - more

When did it happen?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Areosapien(f): 7:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
This story reinforces my faith in my fearless Igbo tribe. Even in the face of overwhelming hardship and danger, we surrender to no-one, bow to no-one and maintain our soul. Cuz as an old Igbo saying goes "O nweghi onye nwe anyi", translated as "Nobody owns us", and that is the real way any upright member of the human race should reason: for all men were created equal, so we shall fight for our right to the death.
Too bad we can't say the same for the idlers and worthless cattle rearers up north, who, after realizing the hopeless direction of their hollow unproductive lives, take to pointless killings of innocent people (who are more important to the society than they could ever dream of), all in the name of a 'moon god' brought to them by a dirty, scruffy, pedophiliac, uncircumcized sand-nigggah, all the way from an aryan cesspit.
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Genius100: 7:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
afam4eva:

That's the Igbo spirit. we don't take no for answer. We'd rather fight to death than being humiliated.

What a bunch of BS. How about the thousands of Igbo slaves that did not commit suicide and simply succumbed to slavery? I don't know why Nigerians like to deceive themselves,

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2011
oyea, Yoruba's with full amunition to march federal armed forces, do you think they will
have the balls to go to war with federal forces or do you think they will just go on dailies talking allday?

anyway i stoped exchanging words with yorubas.
we igbo's our action speaks louder than voice.

the day hausa/fulani will give nigeria peace is the day an igbo man takes nigeria presidential seat.
and that is why they don't want to let it happen,though all their plans has turned to backfire.

we are yet to see nigeria main outcome. though i know the day an igboman wins
presidential seat,hausa/fulani's will opt out of this union.

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
The igbo's that submited for their slave masters are the ones
that fought earnestly for the end of african slave trade example olauda Olaudah Equiano ,
check it out

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by namfav(m): 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
i heard there were alot of ibo slaves in america, who soled them?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Afam4eva(m): 7:33pm On Nov 11, 2011
namfav:

Which one is soled?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2011
there are a lot of ebo slaves in america my dear,
but they are the ones that end the white man babarick act against blackman.
its no more a hidden story that great martine luther kingg junior is an igbo man by ancestory.

what do you think the british hates igbos for.
they know with us onboard as captain they won't lord it over nigeria this far.

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2011
Don't forget king jaja of opobo.
read our history very well,we always go under but
never stay there,rather we usualy get to the top most top before you know it.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Areosapien(f): 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2011
namfav:

I hear tens of thousands of poor homeless Hausa/Fulani beggars get shipped to Enugu on a daily basis. Who chased them from their homes?
Or were they naturally unemployed and homeless like the 90 percent of northerners we've come to know?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 7:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Relax101:

When did it happen?

In the 1850s a group of chained enslaved Igbo people were being held on the beach. They had just arrived to America on board the slave ship, The Wanderer, which crashed when the vessel ran ashore. While being held on the beach, the slaves made a suicide pact. Instead of living the rest of their lives in chains, they ran, chained to each other, into the water and drowned. The site is supposedly haunted by their ghosts. People have reported hearing the sound of irons chattering as the slaves ran from the beach into the water
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by eolme(f): 7:52pm On Nov 11, 2011
these igbos were sold as slaves by a notorious underworld clan from Arochukwu community in late 1802. guess pple 4rm dat clan are reading this thread
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 7:56pm On Nov 11, 2011
The igbo man is the first slave that become king in american Caribbean "Eboe King" (Eze Igbo). though the whites later killed him.
but its the igbo spirit that took him that far.

we are free people we can't be slaves,
tell the hausa/fulani's time is coming and wheel of furtune is now turning to our advantages.
when that time comes we shall see.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2011
eolme:

these igbos were sold as slaves by a notorious underworld clan from Arochukwu community in late 1802. guess pple 4rm dat clan are reading this thread

Are you sure that the Ibibios from the arochukwu community enslaved the said Igbos? I am interested in the group who did the enslavement - that group must be quite tough and strong to be able to subdue and enslave the tough Igbo.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Areosapien(f): 8:10pm On Nov 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Are you sure that the Ibibios from the arochukwu community enslaved the said Igbos? I am interested in the group who did the enslavement - that group must be quite tough and strong to be able to subdue and enslave the tough Igbo.

Errr, Arochukwu is a clan in modern day Abia.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 8:17pm On Nov 11, 2011
Areosapien:

Errr, Arochukwu is a clan in modern day Abia.

We are talking about the 1800s, not modern day. Arochukwu was the homeland of the Ibibio as they arrived in 300 AD from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. abi you no sabi read ni?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by aljharem(m): 8:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
Not related to the topic

@Ndu chuks

Yes you are right about the Igbo spirit.

But what would even interest you is that among all the southern Nigeria civilisation, the Igbos were the first to case bronze.

In fact do you know that there was a finding that suggest that in Ala Igbo ( Igbo land) there was a lost empire found in present day Enugu and Anambra.

Very interesting read, I would post it when I have time
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 8:25pm On Nov 11, 2011
read about " Edward wilmoth blyden" this is the man that inpired
Nkrumah and Azikiwe. as early as 1820s an 1850s ebo slaves was making waves in whitemans land.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Obiagu1(m): 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

We are talking about the 1800s, not modern day. Arochukwu was the homeland of the Ibibio as they arrived in 300 AD from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. abi you no sabi read ni?

LMAO!
No one captured the Igbos but the Igbos themselves. You're trying to be mischievous but you're only grasping at straws.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Obiagu1(m): 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2011
9ja voice:

The igbo's that submited for their slave masters are the ones
that fought earnestly for the end of african slave trade example olauda Olaudah Equiano ,
check it out

Also in Haiti, the Igbo were at the forefront for their liberation.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
alj harem:

Not related to the topic

@Ndu chuks

Yes you are right about the Igbo spirit.

But what would even interest you is that among all the southern Nigeria civilisation, the Igbos were the first to case bronze.

In fact do you know that there was a finding that suggest that in Ala Igbo ( Igbo land) there was a lost empire found in present day Enugu and Anambra.

Very interesting read, I would post it when I have time

You are quite right. Too bad a mjority of the new generation of Igbos who post on NL have been weakened by bigotry and misinformation, coupled by preoccupation with a lost war. Quite sad.

It is possible that the inhabitants of Igbo-Ukwu had a metalworking art that flourished as early as the ninth century (though this date remains controversial). Three sites have been excavated, revealing hundreds of ritual vessels and regalia castings of bronze or leaded bronze that are among the most inventive and technically accomplished bronzes ever made.

The people of Igbo-Ukwu, ancestors of present-day Igbo, were the earliest smithers of copper and its alloys in West Africa, working the metal through hammering, bending, twisting, and incising. They are likely among the earliest groups of West Africans to employ the lost-wax casting techniques in the production of bronze sculptures. Oddly, evidence suggests that their metalworking repertory was limited and Igbo smiths were not familiar with techniques such as raising, soldering, riveting, and wire making, though these techniques were used elsewhere on the continent.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/igbo/hd_igbo.htm

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
United States

In the United States the Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious. In some states such as Georgia, the Igbo had a high suicide rate.[19][20][21] Igbo slaves were most numerous in the states of Maryland and Virginia,[22]

In the 19th century the state of Virginia received around 37,000 slaves from Calabar of which 30,000 were Igbo according to Douglas B. Chambers.[22] The Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia estimates around 38% of captives taken to Virginia were from the Bight of Biafra.[23] Igbo peoples constituted the majority of enslaved Africans in Maryland.[22] Chambers has been quoted saying "My research suggests that perhaps 60 percent of black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor, "[24]
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Obiagu1(m): 8:35pm On Nov 11, 2011
What many fail to realise is that before the Americans realise the need to make the bold statement: All men are created equal, that practice was already in Igboland.

No one taught us democracy, we are one of the oldest democracies in the world and believe that all men are created equal.
So it will be till the end of time. We seek to subjugate no one but believe in open and fair competition.

3 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 8:37pm On Nov 11, 2011
Please inform us of the identity of those who captured and enslaved Igbos. An Igbo man can never enslave another Igboman. Ewo  ni yen o!!! dat one na abomination. My research tells me that the Ibibios were the culprits, abi na Ijaw people sef?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 8:38pm On Nov 11, 2011
obiagu you take the words out of my mouth
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 8:41pm On Nov 11, 2011
whoever enslaves igbos, whoever enslave yorubas,whoever enslaves bantus,
all this are now in the past.

but major issue here is that igbo slaves liberate other african slaves.
kudos to their igbo spirit
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 8:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
Obiagu1:

What many fail to realise is that before the Americans realise the need to make the bold statement: All men are created equal, that practice was already in Igboland.

Why do some of you people insist on deceiving yourselves? Democracy ko, communism ni. If all men are created equal in Igboland, then how do you explain the obnoxious Osu caste system practiced in Igboland?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by 9javoice1(m): 8:50pm On Nov 11, 2011
what about td jakes and noel jones.

pure igbos by ancestory
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by nduchucks: 8:56pm On Nov 11, 2011
9ja voice:

what about td jakes and noel jones.

pure igbos by ancestory

Ezeokwu!!! Infact you forgot, Wesley Snipes, King F. Whitaker, Blair Underwood, Charles Bono and others. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

In One Year, Buhari Succeeded In Running Nigeria Aground – Fayose Blasts / Court Sacks Uche Ogah, Affirms Emenike As Apc’s Governorship Candidate In Abia / Ini Okopido Is Dead! Akwa Ibom APC Chairman Dies Of Multiple Organ Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.