Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? (26923 Views)

Ogbunigwe Ndigbo Vows To Retaliate Killing Of Igbo In North / Beaf Was Right, Ogbunigwe Was An Anti Aircraft Missile (pic). / Wonders Of The Biafran War Tech (ogbunigwe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by kasiem(m): 10:04am On Nov 12, 2011
All this christmas Knockout will trounce this baby toy
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Funkymallam(m): 10:16am On Nov 12, 2011
U ppl v succeeded in chasing away my frnd Aigbofa *crying*.
But v neva seen a thread as funny as this, even on d jokes section. Cnt stop laffing.
Remember my days @ d university, some mec engr. Stdnts projects were not as poor as this.
Am still asking o, does it v spacwe for two drivers? grin grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by kasiem(m): 10:30am On Nov 12, 2011
We want this on front page
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by proudly9ja(m): 10:34am On Nov 12, 2011
From wiki

Autonov 1 is the name given to the automobile novelty that was created sometime in the 1970s, by making a once regular motor vehicle engine able to run in both the forward and backward directions, utilizing all four pre-existing gears in whichever direction.

Purpose of design

Its inventor, the late engineering professor Ayodele Awojobi, imagined the advantage of the invention in such a situation as when a motor vehicle drives forward into a cul-de-sac and needs to make a fast, backward retreat. Emergency evacuation procedures or war-time situations exemplify this.

A patent for the invention was never obtained before the inventor's untimely death. An abandoned Layland jeep was utilized for the invention and it is to this day, displayed at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Lagos during the said faculty's "Engineering week". It basically consists of a jeep, with a second steering wheel built-in at the rear end that connects the axle. A gear-shift is also built here that connects, through a built-in mechanism, to the already pre-existing four gears, such that the hybrid vehicle can be driven on all four gears, in both forword and backward directions. The jeep's central compartment was re-designed to have a rotating floor mechanism that can swivel an occupant from the rear seat, to the front one and vice-versa.

Short of dismantling it piece-meal, the detailed knowledge of the designed mechanism is unknown as no drawings or design sketches are known to exist.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Dawgpound: 11:45am On Nov 12, 2011
ROTFLMBAO!!!! Nothing but a glorified wheel barrow. Aigbofa please do better.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Justcash(m): 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2011
If I was the president, I would have ordered the the IG to deploy "Otumokpor", sorry! "Otonov" to all Nigerian police formation in the North to aid their escape from all directions when Boko Haram strikes. Before that, adequate training will be given to the police drivers so that they will not drive from all angles at the same time lest they disintegrate the  "Otumokpor", sorry! "Otonov" in panic.

1 Like

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by EkoIle1: 2:19pm On Nov 12, 2011

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Beaf: 2:27pm On Nov 12, 2011
This is the Autonov. It is one of those "inventions" that will never ever find use.

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by SamMilla1(m): 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2011
autonov sounds russian to me not yoruba
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Dede1(m): 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2011
Yoruba peeps are very funny creatures and very good at claiming anything for self-aggrandizement. They even forgot to remove the Nigerian army plate number from the Styr Utility Vehicle. The respectable professor Ayodele Awojobi forgot to scrap the plate number of “NA 1946” from the joke of century.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Dede1(m): 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2011
Sam Milla:

autonov sounds russian to me not yoruba

It was derived from Republic of Dahomey (now Benin) via Port Novo
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by kasiem(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2011
Pls, this title of prof should be expunged from the name of wheelbarrow inventor.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by sheyguy: 3:08pm On Nov 12, 2011
Beaf:

This is the Autonov. It is one of those "inventions" that will never ever find use.

the vehicle is not suppose to be standard and flashy one for use, for those of u who don't understand its a prototype (a first copy with no special machinery or set up used in its production).it is meant to demonstrate engineering principle in practice, at least this is far more better than the War-Firecracker which is just a minimal modification to an aircraft.
Plus it is not an invention but demonstration.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by OkparaIgbo: 3:10pm On Nov 12, 2011
grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy This is literally what i have done since i have being reading the comments, !!! Omo guys take am easy na, Aigbofa didnt mean wrong when she posted this crap on here. undecided

THANKS GUYS FOR THE CHEER YOU ALL HAVE GIVEN ME TODAY, !! I CAN GO OVER THE COMMENTS TEN TIMES AND STILL BE LAUGHING.!! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by maclatunji: 3:19pm On Nov 12, 2011
proudly9ja:

From wiki

Autonov 1 is the name given to the automobile novelty that was created sometime in the 1970s, by making a once regular motor vehicle engine able to run in both the forward and backward directions, utilizing all four pre-existing gears in whichever direction.

Purpose of design

Its inventor, the late engineering professor Ayodele Awojobi, imagined the advantage of the invention in such a situation as when a motor vehicle drives forward into a cul-de-sac and needs to make a fast, backward retreat. Emergency evacuation procedures or war-time situations exemplify this.

A patent for the invention was never obtained before the inventor's untimely death. An abandoned Layland jeep was utilized for the invention and it is to this day, displayed at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Lagos during the said faculty's "Engineering week". It basically consists of a jeep, with a second steering wheel built-in at the rear end that connects the axle. A gear-shift is also built here that connects, through a built-in mechanism, to the already pre-existing four gears, such that the hybrid vehicle can be driven on all four gears, in both forword and backward directions. The jeep's central compartment was re-designed to have a rotating floor mechanism that can swivel an occupant from the rear seat, to the front one and vice-versa.

Short of dismantling it piece-meal, the detailed knowledge of the designed mechanism is unknown as no drawings or design sketches are known to exist.

This makes a lot of sense. The Nigerian Army should make more of these.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Dede1(m): 3:21pm On Nov 12, 2011
I can not fathom the level of derangement growing among certain people in Nigeria. There is no known group of clinically certified lunatics who would enthusiastically queue around to watch this piece of junk as a rare invention.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 3:21pm On Nov 12, 2011
Chai i like the truck
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by manny4life(m): 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2011
sheyguy:

the vehicle is not suppose to be standard and flashy one for use, for those of u who don't understand its a prototype (a first copy with no special machinery or set up used in its production).it is meant to demonstrate engineering principle in practice, at least this is far more better than the War-Firecracker which is just a minimal modification to an aircraft.

None of the posts on here has indeed indicated that it's supposed to flashy but at least up to "PAR" per standards. A prototype? I'm no Engineer by profession but if you're Boeing Defense Company and your customer (United States Department of Defense) says you should unveil a prototype weapon, brother, you better have had that weapon ready for its designed use. A prototype just means a model of a machine to test an idea or concept. Therefore, how can you practically test your prototype without first telling us its design in uses in theory or plain language?

On the other hand, Ogbunigwe wasn't a prototype though I wasn't even born in the war, it was a weapon of which if Nigeria had set her priorties straight, now that will make a perfect model for a standard prototype for weapons during R&grin. If you ask someone before they designed the War-Firecracker as you put it, what is it used for? The answer s plain and simple; it's a local made missile used for offensive attack. Now ask someone what is Autunov used for? There is no clear cut defined use for this vehicle but it having the capability of running in two direction IS NOT an ability but a feature.

In other words, you define your mission and objective before embarking on an engineering feat and NOT the other way around; embarking on the feat before defining your mission and objective. Either way, for an idea back in 1970, I still have to give it to the man though --- He tried.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Torch1(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2011
OMG!! Is this a modernized Keke-Napep, lolz, give Aba/Nnewi boys just some days and they will produce this truck for u. I think the OP is just joking,  This truck will be good in selling breads, pure water and co,  The prof try sha!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by sheyguy: 3:55pm On Nov 12, 2011
manny4life:

None of the posts on here has indeed indicated that it's supposed to flashy but at least up to "PAR" per standards. A prototype? I'm no Engineer by profession but if you're Boeing Defense Company and your customer (United States Department of Defense) says you should unveil a prototype weapon, brother, you better have had that weapon ready for its designed use. [size=14pt]A prototype just means a model of a machine to test an idea or concept.[/size] Therefore, how can you practically test your prototype without first telling us its design in uses in theory or plain language?

On the other hand, Ogbunigwe wasn't a prototype though I wasn't even born in the war, it was a weapon of which if Nigeria had set her priorties straight, now that will make a perfect model for a standard prototype for weapons during R&grin. If you ask someone before they designed the War-Firecracker as you put it, what is it used for? The answer s plain and simple; it's a local made missile used for offensive attack. Now ask someone what is Autunov used for? There is no clear cut defined use for this vehicle but it having the capability of running in two direction IS NOT an ability but a feature.

In other words, you define your mission and objective before embarking on an engineering feat and NOT the other way around; embarking on the feat before defining your mission and objective. Either way, for an idea back in 1970, I still have to give it to the man though --- He tried.

Ur definition of prototype is flawed there(no insult intended). Without a sophisticated workshop where perfect curves and shapes can be fabricated the man has done above average.
Its not all cases of design that is preceded by an order/request from a big company like u used for illustration. The outlook of the autonov is not bad at all. If the prof had a sizable research grant, then it would have been below standard, but for some one doing it for demonstration purpose i don't think the outlook being presentable is really a priority. all it need do is the movement in both direction with minimal power consumption cos normal cars and vehicle can move in both direction but the reverse movement consumes far more fuel and leaves car prone to damages if used for too long.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Natudu: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2011
Make una wait for Autonov II! I no fit laugh again o!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2011
Another prof. from Ekiti, I guess. grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by astronp8: 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2011
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by jmaine: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2011
You can all have a good laugh . . .but what the man achieved with this model at that point in time was awesome . . .  .
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Wexelion(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2011
I have saved this page for future references,can't stop laughing. This should be transfered to the joke section. Lol
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by iykemanuel(m): 4:33pm On Nov 12, 2011
what are the economic importance of this 4 wheel Keke napep. this portray how senseless yorubas are.ogbunigwe was built just 3 weeks into the civil war.low and behold it indeed help in the fight for freedom.look at all the bomb used by bokoharam they were all produced by an Ibo dude although a Muslim faithful.I don't know what this Yoruba poster is feeling.proudly biafran kiss cheesy
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by manny4life(m): 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2011
sheyguy:

your definition of prototype is flawed there(no insult intended). Without a sophisticated workshop where perfect curves and shapes can be fabricated the man has done above average.
Its not all cases of design that is preceded by an order/request from a big company like u used for illustration. The outlook of the autonov is not bad at all. If the prof had a sizable research grant, then it would  have been below standard, but for some one doing it for demonstration purpose i don't think the outlook being presentable is really a priority. all it need do is the movement in both direction with minimal power consumption cos normal cars and vehicle can move in both direction but the reverse movement consumes far more fuel and leaves car prone to damages if used for too long.

Insult? Please no, you haven't insulted me, more so, to other engineering firms like Boeing Corp. who defines their prototype as that. I wasn't talking about an order/request from a big company, after all who goes through these designs for the fun of it? For instance, about two months ago, Airbus unveiled a sample drawing prototype for their future airbus for the next 20years, did they have orders? Boeing, when it talked about the recent 787 - Dream-liner, there wasn't any order; however, after the preliminaries, design, production and during the testing phase is when they began receiving order.

I wasn't critiquing the outlook of the Autonov, I guess that's why it's still a prototype without any sketches or drawing design like the (wiki) report stated. You said sizable research grant? You were comparing it to the Ogbunigwe, I don't think they had any sizable research grant, so please let's stop using research/grant as an excuse. Again, I could really careless about how it looks, after all there are some awful designs from some of this engineering firm. What I'm concerned about is, the man did not have any clear-cut mission, goal nor objectives about this design. The design only says it moves forward and opposite direction (features), but it doesn't specify its capability (uses). To me, I think that's most important, otherwise, what will be the basis of the comparison?
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Beaf: 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2011
sheyguy:

Guy, I have not said anything to raise the arguments you made above. The thing is damn ugly, yes; buts thats far from the point (although it looks more like something for industrial cooking grin).
All I have said is that it has no use. If anything, 41 years after it was invented without patent protection, nobody has seen fit to use the idea for anything.
I am not saying the man didn't achieve a feat or he wasn't clever.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by LordNaya: 4:50pm On Nov 12, 2011
This nonsence yaroba people sef, una no tire? Wot kind of nonsence wheel barrow is this shit. One christmas fire cracker will totally distroy dat shit u guyz call amoured tank. Nonsence!! You guyz shouldnt turn the meaning of invention upside-down. This 4 wheel wheel barrow show of shame is the kind of invention u can get from Yoruba pipo. Mtchieeew!!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by kasiem(m): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2011
I'll be waiting for 'autodec', since autonov was produced in november
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by phreakabit(m): 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2011
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by mfess(m): 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2011
wanna hide sumfn 4rm a blackman? Just put it in a written format, u guyz should stop all diz tribal sh*t nd appreciate Prof. Awojobi's work.
I am sure u guys didnt read d gist bout autonov1 on wikipedia especially doz wu r calling it a dustbin van.

Dz was done in da 70's. Bet u cant get any beta exterior design at dat time.

And those asking about its usefulness,
Read da full gist.
Autonov 1 is the name given to the automobile novelty that was created sometime in the 1970s, by making a once regular motor vehicle engine able to run in both the forward and backward directions, utilizing all four
pre-existing gears in whichever direction.[1][2]
Purpose of design Its inventor, the late engineering
professor Ayodele Awojobi , imagined the advantage of the invention in such
a situation as when a motor vehicle drives forward into a cul-de-sac and needs to make a fast, backward retreat. Emergency evacuation procedures or war-time situations exemplify this.
Patent and specification
A patent for the invention was never obtained before the inventor's untimely death. An abandoned Layland jeep was utilized for the invention and it is to this day, displayed at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Lagos during the said faculty's "Engineering week". It basically consists of a jeep, with a second steering wheel built-in at the rear end that connects the axle. A gear-shift is also built here that connects, through a built-in mechanism, to the already pre- existing four gears, such that the hybrid vehicle can be driven on all four gears, in both forword and backward directions. The jeep's central compartment was re-designed to have a rotating floor mechanism that can swivel an occupant from the rear seat, to the front one and vice-versa. Short of dismantling it piece-meal, the detailed knowledge of the designed mechanism is unknown as no drawings or design sketches are known to exist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Boko Haram Takes Over Five Borno Communites In Fresh Attack / 3 Flyovers Governor Amosun Is Building At Alagbole-Akute-Ijoko (PHOTO) / Osun PDP Senatorial Candidate, Others, Donate foodstuffs To Civil Servants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.