Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,015 members, 7,799,463 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? (4545 Views)

The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / Nigeria, One Of Top 10 Global Economies – US Govt / Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 14, 2011
Nigeria Is Unlikely To Be Ranked Among The 20 Best Economies In 2020?

Nigeria’s top 20 ranking in 2020 no longer feasible, says minister

Minister of National Planning Commission, Dr Shamsuddeen Usman, has disclosed that the country’s goal of attaining the 20th best economy in 2020 is no longer feasible in view of the present economic realities.

Instead, he said the country should consider itself lucky if it finds itself among the best 25 economies in the world in the year under focus.

Usman said that the Vision 20:2020 target was to attain a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of not less than 900 billion and per capita income of not less than $4,000 by 2020.

“It is not Shamsudeen’s vision; it is not even President Good- luck Jonathan’s vision. It is a Nigerian vision crafted by over 5,000 of the most articulate and influential Nigerians,”the minister said.

He further said, “we are almost working from the answer to the question. We have already claimed three steps almost without doing anything. When we started in 1999, we were in number 44. Now we are in number 41 so we are making progress because while we are growing rapidly, other countries are not growing as fast as us.”

[b]He said if the country’s economy attained the 25 best in the world, “Nigeria has tried. It is better than not achieving anything at al[/b]l.”

Urging Nigerians to be positive in their thinking when an issue concerned  Nigeria, Dr Usman stated that Vision 20:2020 was aimed at improving the economic well being of Nigerians.
The minister added that by the end of 2012,  the report on Vision 20:2020 would be released.

He, however, said that, “for the visioning process to scale through, the government needs the support of all Nigerians.”

Source: http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31147-nigerias-top-20-ranking-in-2020-no-longer-feasible-says-minister

Why is it okay for this minister to set the bar so low?
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by ranlaen: 12:00pm On Nov 14, 2011
simply because in 8 years nigeria needs to move from 156th out of 187 countries to 25th.considering we moved back and forth from 150-158 over the last decade so virtually sand still i  don't know what miracle you want.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

even in gpd which is a poorer way of to determine " best " economy which unlike HDI does not take in account cost of items,lif expectency,health care etc we are still 140th of 190.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

so can you explain the miracle that will propel nigeria from the bottom 25% WORST countries to live in and economy to the best 25%.forget that stupid claim that we are number 41 .there not a single data to show that we are anything but in the bottom and even just living in nigeria you can see it for yourself.maybe in the oil minister or gej mind they are number 41 but i guess if i robbed the nation dry of billions i would also in my dream world think its amazing.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Horus(m): 12:09pm On Nov 14, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Why is it okay for this minister to set the bar so low?

This Minister is pessimistic; If you set the bar so low means you aren't challenging yourself enough.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 14, 2011
ranlaen:

simply because in 8 years nigeria needs to move from 156th out of 187 countries to 25th.considering we moved back and forth from 150-158 over the last decade so virtually sand still i  don't know what miracle you want.

even in gpd which is a poorer way of to determine " best " economy which unlike HDI does not take in account cost of items,lif expectency,health care etc we are still 140th of 190.

so can you explain the miracle that will propel nigeria from the bottom 25% WORST countries to live in and economy to the best 25%.forget that silly claim that we are number 41 .there not a single data to show that we are anything but in the bottom and even just living in nigeria you can see it for yourself.maybe in the oil minister or gej mind they are number 41 but i guess if i robbed the nation dry of billions i would also in my dream world think its amazing.

Comrade, in saner climes Government Ministers do not say "the country should consider itself lucky if it finds itself among the best 25 economies in the world in the year under focus."
When you have a Minister of National Planning anchoring 'projected' growth on luck, you know he is peddling vodoo-economics. grin

I did not set the 2020 agenda, so why are you looking in my direction?
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 14, 2011
Horus:

This Minister is pessimistic; If you set the bar so low means you aren't challenging yourself enough.

Exactimo @Horus.
See the kind of ministers we have in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by ranlaen: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Comrade, in saner climes Government Ministers do not say "the country should consider itself lucky if it finds itself among the best 25 economies in the world in the year under focus."
When you have a Minister of National Planning anchoring 'projected' growth on luck, you know he is peddling vodoo-economics. grin

I did not set the 2020 agenda, so why are you looking in my direction?

sorry if i sounded as if i was on your neck but such nigerian politicans annoy me with their made up data.angola which has plenty of recently discovered oil and whats considered one of the least corrupted government(at present.things in africa change quickly) still cannot claw out of the 148th slot of HDI yet we expect to do what in 8 years with an corrupt and clueless president like GEJ.
If as i was a minister i would not even comment on such unattainable plans .crawl before you can walk and stop giving false hopes.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by igbo2011(m): 12:39pm On Nov 14, 2011
China is very low number 91 in GDP per capita. Does that not mean they are a world power? When they talk about top 20 they mean overall GDP. India is 133 and they are a power too. If we exploit tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, and sports, this can be done easily. But we need to cut polticians pay and cut out useless teams who waste money. We need minister of power, education, works, agriciulture, entertainment, manufacturing, ICT, and finance. There are many that are not really needed.

ranlaen:

simply because in 8 years nigeria needs to move from 156th out of 187 countries to 25th.considering we moved back and forth from 150-158 over the last decade so virtually sand still i don't know what miracle you want.

so can you explain the miracle that will propel nigeria from the bottom 25% WORST countries to live in and economy to the best 25%.forget that silly claim that we are number 41 .there not a single data to show that we are anything but in the bottom and even just living in nigeria you can see it for yourself.maybe in the oil minister or gej mind they are number 41 but i guess if i robbed the nation dry of billions i would also in my dream world think its amazing.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by TAOKEN(m): 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
blame d politicianzzzzzzzz fukin pple angry
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Riot5000: 3:20pm On Nov 14, 2011
nigeria will die in the next 4 years.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by BigMeat2: 3:22pm On Nov 14, 2011
ministers talking from their backside as usual
everyone knows that the V2020 cannot be achieved under the present socio economic conditions
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Skii(m): 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2011
Riot5000:

nigeria will die in the next 4 years.

Stop it!!
Nigeria will not die in the next four years (Positive Optimistic Prophesy/Declaration)
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Lexusgs430: 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2011
Why tell us what we already know ?
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Cdemian: 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2011
Nigeria will not die in the next 4yrs. Why on earth will you wish Nigeria that? Nigeria is the giant of Africa whether you like it or not. Nigeria is the 2nd largest economy in Africa.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Lekmosh(m): 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2011
god damn!can you see where visionless has lead dis country to. again,vision 202020 is no longer realizable!! Upon all deir several useless forum.we av no foundation in dis country and we all know wot will happen to a house wit none.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Raxxye(m): 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2011
[quote][/quote]

Even dis one is a pipe dream!!
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2011
[size=20pt]FIRE HIM[/size]
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Kx: 3:51pm On Nov 14, 2011
President is singing another song,
Minister is singing another one.
Is anybody in charge at all?
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by yme1(f): 3:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
Cdemian:

Nigeria will not die in the next 4yrs. Why on earth will you wish Nigeria that? Nigeria is the giant of Africa whether you like it or not. Nigeria is the 2nd largest economy in Africa.
2nd largest? I thought as at 2010 Nigeria was the 3rd largest Economy? undecided
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by babalo1: 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2011
Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020?
does it take a genius to realize that?
it most likely would be among the 20 worst economy  or the worst economy going by the activities in the north.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by doctokwus: 4:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
For d minister to hpe on us bein amongts d top 25 is being mote dan optimistic.We still bliv in miracles in dis country wen d world is now applying simple logic& science to evryday planning.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by juman(m): 5:01pm On Nov 14, 2011
Our situation is bad. That is the reality.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
I should not have been reading that toe-rag of a newspaper called tribune. angry

There I was asking for the head of a minister to be served along with other assorted meat, when no where else is the phrase I quoted earlier (the country should consider itself lucky if it finds itself among the best 25 economies in the world in the year under focus) actually reported.

Nigeria targets $900b GDP by 2020, says minister -- http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/25951-nigeria-targets-900b-gdp-by-2020-says-minister.html
People are ignorant of the V 20:2020 – Shamsudeen -- http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147578:people-are-ignorant-of-the-v-202020--shamsudeen&catid=3:business&Itemid=3

Although I think Aganga's assessment is probably closer to the mark anyway, it is only fair that I set the records straight.

31 October 2011
The Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment has said that for Nigeria to achieve Vision 20:2020, it must have a stable Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth of 14 per cent annually.

The Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, explained that despite the formulation of Nigeria’s economic blueprint, the nation’s GDP was still growing at about 7 per cent due to inefficient allocation and management of her resources.
Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-8216-gdp-must-grow-by-14-annually-to-achieve-vision-20-2020-8217-/101683/
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by godman01(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
Who want among 20 best, we are saying nigeria should be a place every nigerian will be proud to live in.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by OvieE: 6:29pm On Nov 14, 2011
Top 20 economy and with wild spread poverty. What's the point.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by razznaija(f): 6:51pm On Nov 14, 2011
Mtchewww SMH
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:05pm On Nov 14, 2011
They wont even smell such position in the next 20yrs
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by goksonjay(m): 7:44pm On Nov 14, 2011
This is an expert talking like a mediocre! who do not know that GDP is no more reliable yardstick for measurin economic growth? the Human Development Index of Nigeria is among d worst ones in d commity of nation. Presently Nigeria is the eight largest oil producer and has the seventh largest reserves of natural gas. Despite the richness of her soil,Nigeria ranks among the twenty-five poorest countries in the world in terms of Social Indicators. Until we settle the problem of RESOURCE CURSE,We have no-where
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by OlaPhils(m): 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
grin i guess you are still dreaming. you better wake up from your dream before you pass on. 20 best economy. u dey make me lough grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by tlops(m): 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2011
nigerian is on a path to nowhere. really it saddens me.
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by runsgirl: 12:02am On Nov 15, 2011
Quite obvious
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by vladimiros: 2:58am On Nov 15, 2011
it would be possible IF WE DID NOT KILL OUR DAMN INDUSTRIAL SECTOR
Re: Nigeria Unlikely To Be Among 20 Best Economies In 2020? by Rastamann: 6:26am On Nov 15, 2011
Nigeria will be there by 3030! so make una relax.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saharareports: US Govt Fines UBA $15m? / Baba Ijebu Lotto Must Pay Us...drop Ur Games. / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.