Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? (11428 Views)

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! / We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 1:34am On Nov 18, 2011
aribisala0:

i am sorry alhaji harem[b] i think this is really a lot of rubbish[/b]. i am quite different from all my mother's sons and there is much variation in my family alone not to talk of our town. every group has its own share of
hardworkers
lunatic
and scoundrels.
unfortunately it is the nature of humans to put people in boxes but reality is very different.
there is more intra-group than inter-group variation
the only people that believe such rubbish are people that have never travelled. recently i found out that many black South Africans have the idea that Nigerians smell

Yes it is rubbish because it should not be happening. even today it happens in every group of people yes even hausa. and even my family, people are individuals but it is characteristics that came to me each time I interact with differnet ndi igbos

I know this would be a wake up call for my igbo brothers to STOP viewing each other as such and work on the common thing that binds ndi igbo which is

1. there hardworking nature
2. there buiness spirit
3. individualism ( yes binds people together)
4. Justice.

I really hope this happens fast
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 1:39am On Nov 18, 2011
ezeagu:

I hope you know that these are states that you're talking about, and not Igbo ethnic groups, and that Igbo people (the real ones anyway) base their generalisations and cultural affiliation on town and ethnicity, instead of 20 year old states?

Yes and NO

I am sorry ezeagu but want I noticed is that the chracteriszation and generalisation in ala igbo is done based on 2 things but one precedes the other.

1. Based on states
2. based on clans

Based on states in the sense that some families see clans in there own state more favorablly than the other, a sense of "next door clan/village" is better than going to lets say ezza in benue state or something

based on clans because some clans would prefer there male children marry within the same clan. Note : This is not a cultrual thing but just based on individual believes
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 1:43am On Nov 18, 2011
alj_harem:

Yes and NO

I am sorry ezeagu but want I noticed is that the chracteriszation and generalisation in ala igbo is done based on 2 things but one precedes the other.

1. Based on states
2. based on clans

Based on states in the sense that some families see clans in there own state more favorablly than the other, a sense of "next door clan/village" is better than going to lets say ezza in benue state or something

based on clans because some clans would prefer there male children marry within the same clan. Note : This is not a cultrual thing but just based on individual believes

You're wrong. The ethnic groups in the states obviously have more history together being neighbors, this gives them a stronger history being together and interacting. Igboland, and its culture, is like a gradient, so no wonder how the states are cut so roughly (using landmarks) and how its mindless to generalise a characteristic of an Igbo state when there are hundreds of cultures overlapping the false boundaries.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 1:49am On Nov 18, 2011
[size=15pt]Now the main point I am trying to point out to NRI PRIEST, bandit and co[/size]

Learn to stop talk or posting based on immediate emotions and rather think before posting.

Words like "Imo people are this" we anambra people are that etc would only cause division among ndi igbos

rather stop thinking about clans and states. think of it as my people start from anambra to Imo state etc

Once you have that sort of idea and mentallity, you would see each other as a group rather than individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I really do not mean to get into this discussion, but It pains me each time I see igbo people fighting among each other.

I ask myself why ? Why would an Uche from onicha have things against another Uche from Abia ? Then it clicked to me that you do not see Igbo as an ethnic group rather it is seen as a collection of ethnic nationalities that came together to be called Igbo.

thus I thought of a solution

then I realised it has to do with the mentality in which discussions are approached.

Yes even I that talk on Igbo issues, my people are not united so who am I to talk ? right !

Well, maybe it is because I love the Igbo culture and I am fascinated by them, who knows but yes there is a connection somewhere. apart from my parental
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 1:52am On Nov 18, 2011
ezeagu:

You're wrong. The ethnic groups in the states obviously have more history together being neighbors, this gives them a stronger history being together and interacting. Igboland, and its culture, is like a gradient, so no wonder how the states are cut so roughly (using landmarks) and how[b] its mindless to generalise a characteristic of an Igbo state when there are hundreds of cultures overlapping the false boundaries[/b].

I am sorry if my generalisation hurt your feeling but I just had to let people like NRI PRIEST know the way like of us are looking at the issue.

I rather see states in alaigbo overlap clans ans sub-groups

I mean a clan or sub-group in 2 different states, thus intermixing
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 1:56am On Nov 18, 2011
alj_harem:

[size=15pt]Now the main point I am trying to point out to NRI PRIEST, bandit and co[/size]

Learn to stop talk or posting based on immediate emotions and rather think before posting.

Words like "Imo people are this" we anambra people are that etc would only cause division among ndi igbos

rather stop thinking about clans and states. think of it as my people start from anambra to Imo state etc

Once you have that sort of idea and mentallity, you would see each other as a group rather than individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I really do not mean to get into this discussion, but It pains me each time I see igbo people fighting among each other.

I ask myself why ? Why would an Uche from onicha have things against another Uche from Abia ? Then it clicked to me that you do not see Igbo as an ethnic group rather it is seen as a collection of ethnic nationalities that came together to be called Igbo.

thus I thought of a solution

then I realised it has to do with the mentality in which discussions are approached.

Yes even I that talk on Igbo issues, my people are not united so who am I to talk ? right !

Well, maybe it is because I love the Igbo culture and I am fascinated by them, who knows but yes there is a connection somewhere. apart from my parental

Well done. cool
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 2:28am On Nov 18, 2011
Guys as i said b4 let leave all these land business and move on, mind you i enjoyed myself in onicha. abeg enjoy this niaja babe whining that waist i tell ya  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

omo the babe invited me to her place in onicha come show me dance, i swear their is nothing like homeoooo 4get that side we live once abeg i carry my phone video this girl from university akwa, sweet babe i put the videoe 4 youtube sha tongue

Dont worry she off light na my ph flash i take video  cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR1STbHQztU ENJOYYYYYYYYYY onicha sweetoooo  kiss am going back Christmas whalai but i get serious girl i wan marryooo cheesy man go enjoy small sha,
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Relax101(m): 3:45am On Nov 18, 2011
Holy Jesus. why o why do you people allow a lunatic comment on this thread.
For christ sake I think so many people here have lost their sense of pride and cultural values.
Why in this world would will you people allow a deranged cyber harlot like Alh Harem comment.
I read all his "cut and join " post here and I puked.
He's a crazy morapoka.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 3:45am On Nov 18, 2011
Chinenye

I was hoping you'd prefer a stronger rationship among the groups if you had the power to do so, as opposed to "Ngwam diya agha anwu". But everyone has his opinion.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:53am On Nov 18, 2011
odumchi:

Chinenye
[b]I was hoping you'd prefer a stronger rationship among the groups if you had the power to do so, as opposed to "Ngwam diya agha anwu". [/b]But everyone has his opinion.
Why?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:11am On Nov 18, 2011
Aribisala, you're correct. There was irritation in my tone, particularly because I find the constant referencing annoying. I've been witnessing this (in my opinion, 'ill-conceived' and largely unnecessary) comparison since I've been here on NL. Honestly, I've got no problem with people making references though. Any reasonable person would know that references are natural and expected.

Of course, all humans have something in common, but I wasn't speaking anthropologically, and I wasn't speaking broadly.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 10:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Why?

I was hoping we you would prefer the Igbo nation as we are now. Naturally, it would seem wrong for us to exist any other way and it seems even worse when someone highlights our minute (even nearly nonexistent) differences and chooses them over our vast similarities.
What I'm saying is that I see my subgroup and Igbo as one and the same: inseparable. For example you cant be Aro without being Igbo nor can you be Ukwuani without being Igbo.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

I was hoping we you would prefer the Igbo nation as we are now. Naturally, it would seem wrong for us to exist any other way and it seems even worse when someone highlights our minute (even nearly nonexistent) differences and chooses them over our vast similarities.
What I'm saying is that I see my subgroup and Igbo as one and the same: inseparable. For example you cant be Aro without being Igbo nor can you be Ukwuani without being Igbo.
How exactly are we now? How are we existing?

NOTE: I sincerely hope I'm not bothering you with my questions. It's just that, you're one of only three people to ask me the kinds of questions you've asked and say the kinds of things you've said to me, and I am very curious as to why, and also why it would matter what I think/prefer. So, please don't be bothered by my questions, and if you are and if you would like for me to no longer inquire, I'll understand. All you have to do is just say so.
Thank you.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 11:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

1. How exactly are we now? How are we existing?
2. What exactly makes it inseparable for you? And why would you hope for me to share the same sentiment?

I sincerely hope I'm not bothering you with my questions. It's just that, you're one of only three people to ask me the kinds of questions you've asked and say the kinds of thins you've said to me, and I am very curious as to why, and also why it would matter what I think/prefer. So, please don't be bothered by my questions, and if you are and if you would like for me to no longer inquire, I'll understand. All you have to do is just say so.

Thank you.

1. We are existing now as a people. I can happily stay in Enugu and feel at home because I am in "Igboland" the land of the Igbos. Same way that I can also happily stay in Kwale or Owerre or Aba and feel at home because I am in the land of the Igbo people.

2. Honestly, I can't explain it to you. It's something internal. Something just shouldn't e endeavored.
You cant say a rotweiler is not a dog since a rotweiler is a type of dog. Neither can you say I am not an Igbo but this or that. Atleast that's the way it is in my head.

The reason I'm saying this is because that's the way i see things. You don't necessarily have to agree with me. We can't think of ourselves as different people because our unity is our strength and without that we are finished. Then again, Ngwa is large enough to be a large minority in Nigeria. But were I to choose a motto as yours, it would be "Igbom gadi ogha anwu".

I hope you see what I mean. Our people say "Ohabuike" and "Ezi na ulo owula kewara onweya n'egwu iliya"
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aribisala0(m): 12:06am On Nov 23, 2011
It is unfair to ask a petium 2 processor to do the job of a QUAD
E go knock injin
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by AndreUweh(m): 12:21am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

1. We are existing now as a people. I can happily stay in Enugu and feel at home because I am in "Igboland" the land of the Igbos. Same way that I can also happily stay in Kwale or Owerre or Aba and feel at home because I am in the land of the Igbo people.

2. Honestly, I can't explain it to you. It's something internal. Something just shouldn't e endeavored.
You cant say a rotweiler is not a dog since a rotweiler is a type of dog. Neither can you say I am not an Igbo but this or that. Atleast that's the way it is in my head.

The reason I'm saying this is because that's the way i see things. You don't necessarily have to agree with me. We can't think of ourselves as different people because our unity is our strength and without that we are finished. Then again, Ngwa is large enough to be a large minority in Nigeria. But were I to choose a motto as yours, it would be "Igbom gadi ogha anwu".

I hope you see what I mean. Our people say[b] "Ohabuike" and "Ezi na ulo owula kewara onweya n'egwu iliya"[/b]

Because of the bolded, May your days be long.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:38am On Nov 23, 2011
Alright. So now, this sentiment of yours, and I mean the whole this is 'Igboland' thing, existing as we are now, and subgroup and 'Igbo' being inseparable, etc. if it were your guess, how widespread do you think this sentiment is?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 1:13am On Nov 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Alright. So now, this sentiment of yours, and I mean the whole this is 'Igboland' thing, existing as we are now, and subgroup and 'Igbo' being inseparable, etc. if it were your guess, how widespread do you think this sentiment is?

I don't know. As far as Im concerned that's one thing. But what I'm sure about is that the ones who think this way outnumber those who don't.

@Andre Uweh,

May yours be also.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:26am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

I don't know. As far as Im concerned that's one thing. But what I'm sure about is that the ones who think this way outnumber those who don't.
Alright. So what does it matter what I think? Why would you prefer that I have this 'Igbo' sentiment as opposed to Ngwa?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 1:29am On Nov 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Alright. So what does it matter what I prefer?

It doesn't.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:37am On Nov 23, 2011
Alright.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nnenna1(f): 2:35am On Nov 23, 2011
I'm from Anambra state and have never heard of this whole "Northern Igbos looking down on Southern Igbos" thing.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by realchange: 10:41pm On Dec 06, 2011
Nnenna1:

I'm from Anambra state and have never heard of this whole "Northern Igbos looking down on Southern Igbos" thing.

nne welcome to nairaland cut throat politics. quite shameful i must add
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by OneNaira6: 1:07am On Dec 07, 2011
Nnenna1:

That is nairaland for you.  Lies get spread by people claiming to have lived in that region and others believe it.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Relax101(m): 2:35am On Dec 07, 2011
Nnenna1:

Nnenna come close let me take you on a tour of nairaland. You ready?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Obiagu1(m): 3:32am On Dec 07, 2011
Nnenna1:

It's not only that, they accuse us of forcing our culture on them.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:34am On Dec 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's not only that, they accuse us of forcing our culture on them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . any more lies you wish to share, Mr. Lionheart? mtchew. . nonsense.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 3:01pm On Dec 07, 2011
Nnenna1:

If you ask anyone in Igboland what a Northern Igbo is they'll be confused. The stereotype is that people from Anambra, particularly traders, are dominating and patronising.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 5:00pm On Jan 01, 2012
I've gone through this thread and seen the misunderstanding. Igbos are culturally fused in a way but also different in another way.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nnenna1(f): 4:11am On Jan 05, 2012
ezeagu:

If you ask anyone in Igboland what a Northern Igbo is they'll be confused. The stereotype is that people from Anambra, particularly traders, are dominating and patronising.

Hmmm, na wa o. I guess you learn something new everyday sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Conflicting Police, DSS Reports On Agom Adara's Killers In Kaduna / What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians? / Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.