Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? (4325 Views)

Kenyan Girl Has This To Say About Nigerian Guys / Irritating Things Nigerian Guys Do That Turn Ladies Off / Reasons Why Ladies Like Sex But Pretend They Hate It In Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 3:26pm On Sep 20, 2007
Unfortunately, I must admit this is one of those "white chicks dating nigerian guys" post, smiley tongue But I'd love to hear some ideas and views from nigerian people, girls and guys. I'm here mainly to hear experiences, thoughts and advice from people,
I live in Finland(if you don't know where it is, it's a country in northern Europe, :p) and I'm a native Finnish. I've recently got to know a nigerian guy. He is a bit older than me. We've known for a week now, and I'm a bit confused with him rushing things. This might be a cultural difference (as Finnish people tend to be shy and reserved when it comes to relationships), but I'd like to hear your thoughts. We've known such a little time and he already is confessing me his love, saying things as "I love you", and being very intense with keeping in touch with me
Now, I don't think he is after papers or something like that, because he's basically got them already. But it makes me a bit suspicious of someone moving so fast, Could it be his age that he's moving so fast (he's 27, ) or something else?
He is a nice guy and I'm interested in getting to know him, but he doesn't seem to understand that I want to "take it slowly".
Anyway, just want to hear your thoughts, Good or bad, bring it on,
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by jaybee3(m): 3:38pm On Sep 20, 2007
@ Nannu
Definitely not a "Nigerian guys" thing. I agree with you, it's a bit strange to be proclaiming love for you only after a week of knowing each other.
Makes it even hard to understand his motives since he his not in need of papers (This you really need to confirm, not that their is anything wrong in it as long as he his for real and your feeling towards each other is absolutely mutual)
Might be that he wants to get into your pants and using that magic word will make the process easier with minimum fuss.
Advice which you probably already know is that you guys have to get to know each other before he can even start mentioning dat word. Some people find it hard to differentiate between likeness and love. It is quite possible that he likes fanices you but believe me it doesn't amount to love.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by ima1(f): 3:42pm On Sep 20, 2007
lol typical naija guy, they r all that way, they fall in love too quick but r u sure he has all his papers, or maybe he just wants to hit it

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Raymond88(m): 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2007
Isn't this generalization? boys will be boys - Nigerian or not!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by mishooo(m): 3:46pm On Sep 20, 2007
If you are sure he's gotten his papers, then i think he doesnt want to lose you to another person.Maybe you are too beautiful for him to keep his eyes off you.Maybe his people are asking him to settle down on time.Maybe its the intensity of the Love thats making him act like that.

Meanwhile, you can still tell him to slow things down for you. It aint bad that way!!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2007
jay bee:

@ Nannu
Definitely not a "Nigerian guys" thing. I agree with you, it's a bit strange to be proclaiming love for you only after a week of knowing each other.
Makes it even hard to understand his motives since he his not in need of papers (This you really need to confirm, not that their is anything wrong in it as long as he his for real and your feeling towards each other is absolutely mutual)
Might be that he wants to get into your pants and using that magic word will make the process easier with minimum fuss.
Advice which you probably already know is that you guys have to get to know each other before he can even start mentioning that word. Some people find it hard to differentiate between likeness and love. It is quite possible that he likes fanices you but believe me it doesn't amount to love.

Yes, sorry about my generalisation at the subject, that was just meant to be a catcher, not that I think all nigerian guys hurry.
I have seen his papers, he has a permanent permission to stay here, and he is a student, which is not usual to get a permanent permission, don't know why he has got it though. However, I could check this out still, just to make sure.
Hmm and if he wanted to get just in my pants then he would've disappeared already I think,
thanks for your comment, I definitely agree that we need to get to know each other better. And I need to talk to him about this again.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 3:58pm On Sep 20, 2007
ima1:

lol typical naija guy, they r all that way, they fall in love too quick but r u sure he has all his papers, or maybe he just wants to hit it
So in your experience, nigerian guys tend to be fast in their moves, ? I'm pretty sure that he has his papers, he showed me them but, I will check that out to be sure. Thanks for comment.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:00pm On Sep 20, 2007
Raymond88:

Isn't this generalization? boys will be boys - Nigerian or not!
Yes, it was a generalization, I know not all nigerian, probably not even most of them are like that smiley I just used it as a catcher in lack of a better one,
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by jaybee3(m): 4:02pm On Sep 20, 2007
@ Nannu
That's definitely the way forward. You need to be sure if he his who you want (dis is the most important thing me think) as it will be very difficult to detect if someone really loves you.
Ball is in your court. You own the key to your own destiny and you are definitely welcome to take a slow lane
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by mishooo(m): 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2007
Nannu:

Hmm and if he wanted to get just in my pants then he would've disappeared already I think,
thanks for your comment, I definitely agree that we need to get to know each other better. And I need to talk to him about this again.

Hey then that settles the panty thing. but i still feel you should tell him to slow things down a little because if you rush in there's a high probability you rush out pretty soon. Get to know his habbits and vices first. I just believe in the Test of time since you guys arent having any 'holds barred'.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2007
mishooo:

If you are sure he's gotten his papers, then i think he doesnt want to lose you to another person.Maybe you are too beautiful for him to keep his eyes off you.Maybe his people are asking him to settle down on time.Maybe its the intensity of the Love thats making him act like that.

Meanwhile, you can still tell him to slow things down for you. It aint bad that way!!
This is an interesting thought, and if not quite positive outlook of it too. It's not so  impossible thought that he is afraid of losing me to another person. I can't tell whether I'm extremely beautiful or not, but I have options in guys, And he knows that. so it's possible, I've also been considering that he might also feel the pressure to settle down, which makes it some of a problem tho, because I'm still quite young and the idea of settleing at the moment makes me more uneasy than anything, :p grin
Intensity of love, or maybe infatuation? I know that sometimes it makes people do crazy things.
Thanks for your comment smiley
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:10pm On Sep 20, 2007
mishooo:

Hey then that settles the panty thing. but i still feel you should tell him to slow things down a little because if you rush in there's a high probability you rush out pretty soon. Get to know his habbits and vices first. I just believe in the Test of time since you guys arent having any 'holds barred'.
That's true smiley I think also it's important to get to know the other person better, before you can claim to love someone or even plan anything serious,
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by mopegirl(f): 4:12pm On Sep 20, 2007
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2007
jay bee:

@ Nannu
That's definitely the way forward. You need to be sure if he his who you want (this is the most important thing me think) as it will be very difficult to detect if someone really loves you.
Ball is in your court. You own the key to your own destiny and you are definitely welcome to take a slow lane

Exactly, and that's why I want to take my time, to know what kind of person he is. But there's a possibility that he will understand it wrong when I try to slow down,
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by mishooo(m): 4:17pm On Sep 20, 2007
Nannu:

Exactly, and that's why I want to take my time, to know what kind of person he is. But there's a possibility that he will understand it wrong when I try to slow down,

If you really love him, all you've gotta do is to re-assure him by words and actions. He'll definitely treat you well (being a Naija guy). But just get to KNOW him well.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:32pm On Sep 20, 2007
mishooo:

If you really love him, all you've gotta do is to re-assure him by words and actions. He'll definitely treat you well (being a Naija guy). But just get to KNOW him well.
Heh, but I can't know yet whether I love him or not, I've only known him for a week! I'm interested in him, and want to get to know him, and I can see there's potential for something serious in the future.
And you're right, he treats me very well,
I think, that if he can't accept that I want to go slower, then he must be having some backmotives in his head that he wants from me, I don't see another reason for someone wanting to rush?
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by mishooo(m): 4:46pm On Sep 20, 2007
Nannu:

I think, that if he can't accept that I want to go slower, then he must be having some backmotives in his head that he wants from me, I don't see another reason for someone wanting to rush?

Yeah, you sure are right there!! A matured guy can always slow then when it comes to the one you LOVE. Cheers !!!
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by kamozini(f): 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2007
panty or no panties, u hv every rite to be cautious, why is he in such a rush?even if he's being pressured to settle down, he shud take it easy.dnt allow urself to be pressured especially when u hv misgivings.hav a tok with him n let him kno he shud relax n go easy.if he loves u like he says he does he'll take ur feelings seriously and do what he can to make u feel comfortable wit him.good luck wink
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:51pm On Sep 20, 2007
mishooo:

Yeah, you sure are right there!! A matured guy can always slow then when it comes to the one you LOVE. Cheers !!!
You are so right smiley Cheers.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 4:55pm On Sep 20, 2007
kamozini:

panty or no undies, u hv every rite to be cautious, why is he in such a rush?even if he's being pressured to settle down, he should take it easy.dnt allow yourself to be pressured especially when u hv misgivings.hav a tok with him n let him kno he should relax n go easy.if he loves u like he says he does he'll take your feelings seriously and do what he can to make u feel comfortable wit him.good luck wink
Yes, Im thinking this too smiley Thanks kamozini!
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by ima1(f): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2007
Nannu:

So in your experience, nigerian guys tend to be fast in their moves, ? I'm pretty sure that he has his papers, he showed me them but, I will check that out to be sure. Thanks for comment.

yeah they are fast, they can say the love you the very first day they meet you, its just bull, are you sure he showed you his real papers, i wouldn't trust him 100% and how long has he been in the country
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by dakmanzero(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2007
Heh.

'tis nothing more than a bit of culture shock, m'dear.

He has papers already, AND you have proof he isnt after the 'wham bam thank you ma'am' experience, so we can rule out desperation (unless you happen to be filthy rich)

I suppose it's simply the way Najia men are socialized by our women here. They have cheapened the meaning of 'I love you' to the extent that it may pass as a simple dinner table pleasantry between acquaintances. In other words: What you may see as a rushed, haphazard approach may simply be what passes for a simple display of affection over here. Women here will absolutely ream you with their tongues if you don't call them three times a day every day of your life and say 'i miss you' and  'i love you' over and over again even if you absolutely do not mean what you are saying.

Simple solution: just treat the whole thing as if you are learning another language! Not all body language is the same. Get to know him better and you'll better understand what each thing he does or says really means. And don't be afraid to play hard-to-get to the point of ridiculousness,  that's how our girls behave over here. They EXPECT you to try to get into their pants every day of your life for donkey years just to prove that you REALLY want it. Conversely, the guys have come to expect you to reject their advances  even to the point of plain flat-out rudeness.

Sad, but true. lol! In any case, good luck.

PS: It is worth noting that it isn't unusual in this country for a guy to decide to marry a person who he has not known for up to a year.  Not the norm, but not unusual in any way,

PPS:

'Tis a shameful thing to admit, but there exists the definite possibility that the papers he showed you were fake and he simply wants to get you to put a ring on his finger and make him 100% legit. Yes, shameful, sad, but too many people do this crap and it would be hypocritical of me not to at least warn you. Double check all that stuff and satisfy yourself 100%. At the first hint of the word 'irregular' as regards any of his papers, run for the hills. *sigh*. such a pity that this warning has to be given at all,

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 5:28pm On Sep 20, 2007
@dakmanzero (for some reason my quote button doesn't work now, angry )
Woah, if I had read your reply years ago, I would've been saved from many misunderstandings tongue
The culture really is different in this way. Finnish culture goes to the other extreme,where "I love you" is said only when you are getting married(well, Im exaggerating a little, ) and in the early stages it's normal for people to pretend that they're not interested at all(but you have to know how to read between the lines smiley )
Hmm, if guys there just keep trying harder, when you reject them, how do you make the "no" go through in the first place then, ?
Thanks for your insightful and interesting post dakmanzero smiley

And yes, I know some people can go very far to get the papers. But I'm not planning to marry him right now, so that would be a problem for the later stage, However I agree, that it would be good for me to check the paper situation, And warning is appreciated smiley What do I do with jsut nice advice and words if they are actually not the reality,

PS. and no, Im not filthy rich tongue
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Nannu(f): 5:33pm On Sep 20, 2007
@ima
No, Im not 100% sure. I will try to check that somehow though, And he hasn't even been here for a month, this is something that also bothers me a bit,
I'm going to be careful, and I don't trust him 100% yet.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by ima1(f): 6:54pm On Sep 20, 2007
Nannu:

@ima
No, I'm not 100% sure. I will try to check that somehow though, And he hasn't even been here for a month, this is something that also bothers me a bit,
I'm going to be careful, and I don't trust him 100% yet.

well that puts things into perspective, he hasn't even been there for a month, i agree with dakmanzero, he is trying to make his stay permanent, by getting u to marry him, don't fall for it, you need to be careful
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by dapsycool(m): 8:23pm On Sep 20, 2007
Na wa o,9ja una won spoil the bro runs, even if na pali hin won collect.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Confession14(f): 7:41pm On Nov 02, 2014
jaybee3:
@ Nannu
Advice which you probably already know is that you guys have to get to know each other before he can even start mentioning dat word. Some people find it hard to differentiate between likeness and love. It is quite possible that he likes fanices you but believe me it doesn't amount to love.
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Confession14(f): 7:42pm On Nov 02, 2014
jaybee3:
@ Nannu
i second the motion..pls OP follow this advice
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Confession14(f): 7:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
Well rated...anoda gud advice
mishooo:

Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Confession14(f): 7:54pm On Nov 02, 2014
U touched my mind's heart with this candid hard to swallow true advice bro...
dakmanzero:
Heh.

'tis nothing more than a bit of culture shock, m'dear.

He has papers already, AND you have proof he isnt after the 'wham bam thank you ma'am' experience, so we can rule out desperation (unless you happen to be filthy rich)

I suppose it's simply the way Najia men are socialized by our women here. They have cheapened the meaning of 'I love you' to the extent that it may pass as a simple dinner table pleasantry between acquaintances. In other words: What you may see as a rushed, haphazard approach may simply be what passes for a simple display of affection over here. Women here will absolutely ream you with their tongues if you don't call them three times a day every day of your life and say 'i miss you' and  'i love you' over and over again even if you absolutely do not mean what you are saying.

Simple solution: just treat the whole thing as if you are learning another language! Not all body language is the same. Get to know him better and you'll better understand what each thing he does or says really means. And don't be afraid to play hard-to-get to the point of ridiculousness,  that's how our girls behave over here. They EXPECT you to try to get into their pants every day of your life for donkey years just to prove that you REALLY want it. Conversely, the guys have come to expect you to reject their advances  even to the point of plain flat-out rudeness.

Sad, but true. lol! In any case, good luck.

PS: It is worth noting that it isn't unusual in this country for a guy to decide to marry a person who he has not known for up to a year.  Not the norm, but not unusual in any way,

PPS:

'Tis a shameful thing to admit, but there exists the definite possibility that the papers he showed you were fake and he simply wants to get you to put a ring on his finger and make him 100% legit. Yes, shameful, sad, but too many people do this crap and it would be hypocritical of me not to at least warn you. Double check all that stuff and satisfy yourself 100%. At the first hint of the word 'irregular' as regards any of his papers, run for the hills. *sigh*. such a pity that this warning has to be given at all,
Re: Why Nigerian Guys Move So Fast In Relationships? by Afroconnect: 10:41pm On Nov 02, 2014
Naija un bad belle too much,why una dey caste the guy for no reason?

Kamu or akamu,u should count urself lucky to find u a Nigerian guy tht will show u attention...no big deal about finland-if u love him stop coming here to write about this rubish.

(1) (Reply)

If You Are Not Jealous You Are Not In Love / What Qualities Will You Choose In Your Ideal Wife? / The Most Pretty Girl On NL *pic*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.