Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 (9715 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Woman Spotted Eating Amala On A Train In The UK / Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles / Nigerian Woman Are More Beautiful Then East Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by aloyemeka4: 10:01pm On Nov 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Behold! Nigerian woman, aged 120[/size]
SUNDAY, 06 NOVEMBER 2011 16:49

By EDIALE KINGSLEY
…Still loves to cook her meals and washes plates Says: 'If you work hard, you'll live long”

AT 120, an Anambra State Community leader, Madam Ekusuma Odimegwu, might just be the oldest Nigerian, alive; Who knows?
Even at that age, she still loves cooking her meals and washing her plates. Something spectacular about her is that she hates people dying young. This is because she feels longetivity “is ordained of God.”

No wonder, her own mother died at a much older age, while her husband passed away at age 103.

Ask Madam Ekusuma what is the secret of her old age and she would readily tell you: “it is hard work.”

Similarly, she regards “adherence to God's instructions,” as another contributory factor to her long life.

Madam Ekusuma spoke with National Daily through her grandson, Chemezie Odimegwu.

Interacting with he lively old woman, who relishes telling stories in connection with the years gone by, was a most interesting experience.

Hers was wisdom par excellence. Imagine her saying 'if people die old, it will have positive impact on the nation's economy and development.”

In her younger days, both Madam Ekusuma and her late husband were into palm kernel business that involved processing the kernel fruit and selling the produce.

“Life in our days was a little interesting. It is interesting when you understand the values of family bond and tradition. A lot has changed; we have larger families now that are separated from each other. The painful part is the distance that must exist among the family members, these days.

“Those days, we did everything together as a family. My husband climbs the tree to get palm kernel and the children and I get busy with the processing, which of course is supervised by my husband; after that I get to do the trading of the various produce made out of it.

http://www.nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1836:behold-nigerian-woman-aged-120&catid=364:news&Itemid=615
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by HighChief4(m): 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
Really nice. My grand Aunt lived that long too
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by BlackLibya: 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2011
not true, if it was she'd be the oldest woman alive in the world.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by HighChief4(m): 10:42pm On Nov 16, 2011
^^^And the oldest woman in the world is how old? There are so many women in the world beyond that age sef
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by BlackLibya: 11:01pm On Nov 16, 2011
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by AndreUweh(m): 11:45pm On Nov 16, 2011
Since she hasn't got a birth certificate, it will not be accepted that she is 120 years old.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by aloyemeka4: 12:32am On Nov 17, 2011
BlackLibya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_people#Oldest_people_ever

They compile those lists based on the facts they have. There are many men and women who can make that list in Africa.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by ezeagu(m): 1:40am On Nov 17, 2011
Before even clicking this thread, I knew this would be in Alaigbo. It's not a big deal in Alaigbo when someone reaches 105.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by BlackLibya: 1:47am On Nov 17, 2011
They compile those lists based on the facts they have. There are many men and women who can make that list in Africa.

sucks doesnt it?
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Natasha2(f): 1:54am On Nov 17, 2011
work hard? I hope she doesn't mean farm work, like my dad's friends would say most heavy jobs you do when young would affect you later in old age grin

Anyways nice that's the age I wanna live for too a hundred and twenty
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by odumchi: 4:42am On Nov 17, 2011
I wonder how they figured out her exact age. My Great grandmother also lived to around this woman's age. She was somewhere in the 100s but we couldn't exactly find her birthday because back when she was born people didn't keep records. She said the same thing as this woman.

"All you need to do for a long life is work, pray, and be happy."
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by aloyemeka4: 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
odumchi:

I wonder how they figured out her exact age. My Great grandmother also lived to around this woman's age. She was somewhere in the 100s but we couldn't exactly find her birthday because back when she was born people didn't keep records. She said the same thing as this woman.

"All you need to do for a long life is work, pray, and be happy."

They tell events in history and from that, one can guess their age. It is like a young girl who told you she was little during the gulf war, you can easily guess her age from that fact. May be the woman successfully told the story of world war I or how Mary Slessor used to bring her wrapper and akwette.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by ritux: 3:19pm On Nov 17, 2011
my grandma is older than that. infact she is looking for death but death has refuse to come
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by browze: 3:20pm On Nov 17, 2011
she's old. Guess there are older people than her sha.
my grandmother died last week at 124. she did her baptism in 1912 at the age of 25 dat's why the family was able t have an idea of her age. funny enuff, she still prefer to cook her foods .
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by atasteve: 3:23pm On Nov 17, 2011
Happy life, smiley
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by sebastinta(m): 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
my grand mother sis is older dan her, tongue
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by stanleyd(m): 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is indeed a great post. Inspiring to read this story.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Afam4eva(m): 3:36pm On Nov 17, 2011
She doesn't look that old.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by bisiaet: 3:47pm On Nov 17, 2011
God bless you mama. I dont need to run any controvery statement if truely you are 120 or not what matter to me is as far you are mother and have this big guy as grandson mama you are blessed indeed. Happy day to you.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by mckane1: 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
This woman I'm seeing is not up to 90 year old,
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by oseiwe(m): 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2011
No way! my granny's mother who is my great-granny is abt 130. My granny who's her first child has definitely marked 100. My great granny is all wrinkled and smallish now wit zero eyesight.
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Outstrip(f): 4:12pm On Nov 17, 2011
She does not look 120 but keep holding on Mama. We will celebrate your 150th with good health
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by shadrach77: 4:17pm On Nov 17, 2011
i tap into her annointing of long life - i encourage others to do the same  smiley smiley
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by alex406(m): 4:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
shadrach77:

i tap into her annointing of long life - i encourage others to do the same  smiley smiley

I concur!
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by silibaba: 4:31pm On Nov 17, 2011
forever young i wanna be grin grin
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Justcash(m): 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2011
ritux:

my grandma is older than that. infact she is looking for death but death has refuse to come

If you love her, help her to stop looking.  cool cool
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by jamp: 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2011
she is not the oldest.

my grandmother is older than her. we dont even know the age of my grandmother.

her 2ND great grand  child got married this August meaning that in a month time she will see her GREAT GREAT GRAND CHILD.

GOD BLESS HER AND KEEP HER FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Afam4eva(m): 4:47pm On Nov 17, 2011
jamp:

she is not the oldest.

my grandmother is older than her. we dont even know the age of my grandmother.

her 2ND great grand  child got married this August meaning that in a month time she will see her GREAT GREAT GRAND CHILD.

GOD BLESS HER AND KEEP HER FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You don't know the age of your grandmother but you think she's older. Has common sense become a luxury?
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Tsun(f): 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2011
My grandfather died at the age of 126 years.
God i pray to see this age. Amen!!
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Gemma11: 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2011
God bless that woman!!

But I believe that there are people older than her in Nigeria. There are lots of old Mama's and Papa's walking around in the village and people assume that they are about 70s when really they in the hundreds. I recently found out that my cousin, daughter of my Dad's older sister was about 75 and all this time I thought she was in her 40s!! Apparently her mother who I thought was around 80 passed away and it came out that she was in her hundreds. Amazing! This lady was going to the the farm every day until a week before her death and then one day she fell ill and just died.

Had my aunt been in Europe she would have been long dead at 75 max. When one lives in the village and eats healthy organic foods every day and doesn't deal with the stress of city life they are more likely to clock over 100 years, I wouldn't be suprised if there 200 year olds walking around in Nigerian/African villages sef. : grin
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
na lie lie o
Re: Behold! Nigerian Woman, Aged 120 by success4(m): 5:35pm On Nov 17, 2011
120 years ke? People are at it again!
With this picture I see, she is not even near 100yrs

I don't pray to reach 90yrs sef, in this miserable world cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! / Anaku Community Denies Appeasing Deity With Human Parts / Questions About Yoruba Idols Sango Ogun Osun Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.