Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Dual Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dual Citizenship (10684 Views)

Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child / Dual Citizenship? Nigerian Born In America Questions / Discover How To Obtain Georgia Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dual Citizenship by oasis: 10:28pm On Mar 08, 2006
Do you hold US/Nigerian dual citizenship?

If so, what is the process for applying?
What passport do you use to travel from the US to Nigeria, and vice versa?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 11:30pm On Mar 08, 2006
hmm which passport do u have and which one r u asking about da process of applying?
well da benefit of dual citizenship like dat of US/NIGERIA as u mentioned is dat when ppl r travelling 4rom America 2 Nigeria, they use Nigerian passport and when they r returning, they use American sad, am not in America though but Canada so it applies 2 any1 dat has dual or multi citizenship,

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by SIBLI06(m): 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2006
Oasis, I was wanting Dual citizenship (UK / Nigeria) as I'm a Brit and my wife is Nigerian however the guy at the UK embassy said I would be totally wasting my time and money as he is only aware of one guy in ten years that was accepted and given Nigerian citizenship. I appreciate you may be Nigerian and asking about it from the other angle. I'm referring to becoming a Nigerian Citizen. Good luck anyhow!

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 4:19pm On Mar 09, 2006
i want Nigerian Passport 2, i don tire getting visa and all those vaccines dat eatz ma money tongue
Re: Dual Citizenship by oasis: 5:30pm On Mar 09, 2006
It doesn't appear as though dual citizenship is common.
The main advantage that I see is, like hotstepper said, cost of visa ($100), and the time wasted applying.

If one travels often, I think dual citizenship is really worth the while. Besides, it may also make some type of difference in entry into Nigeria if one is carrying a Nigerian passport, compared to say a foreign passport. I know that Nigerian employees don't always follow the rules. Same thing with entry into the US. If you're carrying a US passport, you encounter less hassle.

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 1:00am On Mar 10, 2006
@oasis, I understand wat u r saying, as I mentioned b4 why am getting it and another is been dat ma dad asked me 2 and am like " ain't u suppose 2 do dat 4 me longest time?", and i have given limited time 2 stay in Nigeria, actually it cost 55 dollars 4 me 2 get it here in Canada but da worst is all this yellow fever etc.

on da other hand, having a Canadian passport is reallly good cuz in 2004 I went, even in Amsterdam, if u see da way they were looking at da ppl with 9ja passport and da worst was at lagos, they commanded dat ppl with foreign passport shouldn't be with those with Nigerian passport and trust me, us with a foreign passport enter wayyyyyyyyyyy b4 our Nigerian counterparts enetered. Another thing is dat u get treated well cuz I remembered sum cops asking me 2 get ma ID card and am like I don't have and they said they would take me 2 their station and immediately, i took out phone and told dem am gonna call da Canadian embassy in IV and dat they might loose their job etc, da same happened 2 ma broda.

Ppl was telling me dat I can get it for in less dan 2 dayz or so in 9ja and am like, yea, they r fake, itz already gonna be wahala 4 me carrying a nigerian passport not 2 talk of been issued in Nigeria, I rather get it issued in Canada here and onced they open it and see where it is been issued, it will be more acceptable and understandable.

so it all comes with advantage and disadvantages and as u said, if u travel 2 9ja often, den u need a 9ja passport but sum1 like me, i think itz only Afrcan countries dat i need a visa.
Re: Dual Citizenship by WesleyanA(f): 4:00am On Mar 10, 2006
oasis:

Do you hold US/Nigerian dual citizenship?

If so, what is the process for applying?
What passport do you use to travel from the US to Nigeria, and vice versa?

People don't apply for "Dual Citizenship"
If your a Nigerian citizen and you want to become an American citizen, just apply for American Citizenship (Naturalization) and you automatically hold a dual citizenship with US and Nigeria.
On the other hand, if your a US citizen and want to become a Nigerian citizen, you'll have to give up your American citizenship and won't be allowed to own a dual citizenship. (meaning, if you were born in the US and aren't married to a Nigerian or have Nigerian parents/grandparents, you can't be a Nigerian citizen without giving up your American citizenship)

when people r travelling 4rom America 2 Nigeria, they use Nigerian passport and when they r returning, they use American

i have no clue which one people use.
Hotstepper's statement ^^ makes sense though.

to apply for citizenship, you have to be in the US for 5 years (2 years if your married to a US citizen)
You don't have to apply if your under 18 (i got mine automatically through my parents).

It doesn't appear as though dual citizenship is common.
The main advantage that I see is, like hotstepper said, cost of visa ($100), and the time wasted applying.

i know someone who was refused financial aid (for college, loans) because she didn't have her citizenship.
I think that's more important than "cost of visa."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dual Citizenship by misslady(f): 4:16am On Mar 10, 2006
i have both an american and nigerian passport. i was born in the US, and when i went to nigeria i got the passport in one day.

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by misslady(f): 4:20am On Mar 10, 2006
sorry, i did not fully answer the question, and i do not know how to edit b/c i am new here.
when travelling to nigeria i use my american passport. once i enter nigeria, i give them both passports. In Lagos, I go thru the non citizen line. when returning i use my american passport so i don't have to worry about visas.

how did i get the passport well i got it the nigerian way,

2 Likes

Re: Dual Citizenship by WesleyanA(f): 4:44am On Mar 10, 2006
misslady:

how did i get the passport well i got it the nigerian way,

I'm curious. what's the "nigerian way"?

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by abuguy64(m): 4:49am On Mar 10, 2006
Ah ah, which one is the "Nigerian way"?! grin Actually Obtaining a Nigerain paasport has been made easy and with less chance of corrupt practices. All you need do is show up at the Passport office,fill some forms,and get your picture taken. It is a computerized system, and With a little patience, you don't have to "settle' anybody. Unless you are a JJC(Jonny just come), and some guy plays you for a fool! BUT things may have changed now oh, as some of the computerised machines may have broken down etc. Dual citizenship?Dont know much about it! Some countries like Netherlands,require you to submit your Nigerian passport before you get Dutch citizenship.

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by WesleyanA(f): 4:56am On Mar 10, 2006
abuguy64:

Actually Obtaining a Nigerain paasport has been made easy and with less chance of corrupt practices. All you need do is show up at the Passport office,fill some forms,and get your picture taken. It is a computerized system, and With a little patience, you don't have to "settle' anybody.

Oh. i get you.
If you live too far off from the passport office, just mail them your forms and photos and they'll in turn mail you your passport in about 2-6wks.
that's the "American way" i guess
Re: Dual Citizenship by Ynot(m): 4:57am On Mar 10, 2006
I've got a question here, say you are goin back to Nigeria from US and you decide to use Nigerian Passport. It will be stamped departure from US and arrival in Nigerian. Right? If you decide to use US passport on your way back, will you run into some kind of trouble with American immigration at the airport because your passport has no departure stamped on it?

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 4:58am On Mar 10, 2006
@WesleyanA, i get u, i think if u r an american and wanna become a canadian, u must choose one ova one

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by WesleyanA(f): 5:07am On Mar 10, 2006
@ Ynot, when my dad went to Nigeria last year, he took both passports along with him. They'll ask for both not one (and maybe stamp both of them, i guess  )
you have to present both passports. you can't show them just one. can you?
Re: Dual Citizenship by Ynot(m): 5:10am On Mar 10, 2006
Really don't know. Thats why i asked. I'm yet to go back since i left but been thinking about visiting come xmas time.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 5:17am On Mar 10, 2006
i think u show one unless they request 4 both, if u r going 4rom u.s, u show 9ja cuz datz where u r going and when coming back 4rom 9ja. u show ur american cuz datz where u r going, I went in 2004 and i had only ma Canadian passport(apprently datz all i have) and ma Nigerian visa was stamped inside it so once they take it, they go straight 2 da visa part cuz obviously, itz Nigeria dat u r going 2.
Re: Dual Citizenship by ajadudu: 6:02am On Mar 10, 2006
@ynot
this is how
at america show both naija & american kpali, they do not stamp in the US, you need to show both because 1) They need your american to allow you fly through europe (since no direct flight) 2) They need your naija 2 show u have rait to enter naija.

At immigration in naija on arrival queue as a naija citizen, show your naija kpali, it is stamped.

On return leg, show ure american kpali at the check in, at custom give ure naija kpali for stamping. If dey ask for visa to europe show dem yankee kpali.

From there on you are an american, no even speak pidgin again o

BTW its really very easy to get a naija kpali, in Lagos, and its legit no runs unless u fall mugu, walk to the passport office and do ure biz, it takes 2 - 3 days without any external help.

good luck

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by misslady(f): 1:58pm On Mar 10, 2006
i was not born in nigeria, i only have one nigerian parent, and it was my first time there, so it may have been different for me,
i don't want to give too much detail, but i had to go to the state office/ house of where my family is from, get forms there, then i went to some other office got some foms there, then went to the passpost office, spoke to some people there, then left got something to eat, then came back the same day, took the picture and left with the passport, an uncle of mine took me around
Re: Dual Citizenship by gbengaijot(m): 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2006
If you are not born in nigeria but your parent are from Nigeria, whenever you come to Nigeria, go to a local government and ask for declaration of age. they will give you that of the local government and just take it to the immigration office in any of the branches in nigeria and they will issue you with the passport in two days. simple!
Re: Dual Citizenship by medube(m): 9:36pm On Mar 10, 2006
This is all u need to know smiley

25. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely-

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.

(2) In this section, "the date of independence" means the 1st day of October 1960.

26. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, a person to whom the provisions of this section apply may be registered as a citizen of Nigeria, if the President is satisfied that -

(a) he is a person of good character;

(b) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria; and

(c) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.

(2) the provisions of this section shall apply to-

(a) any woman who is or has been married to a citizen of Nigeria; or

(b) every person of full age and capacity born outside Nigeria any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria.

27. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, any person who is qualified in accordance with the provisions of this section may apply to the President for the same of a certificate of naturalisation.

(2) No person shall be qualified to apply for the grant of a certificate or naturalisation, unless he satisfies the President that -

(a) he is a person of full age and capacity;

(b) he is a person of good character;

(c) he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria;

(d) he is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation;

(e) he is a person who has made or is capable of making useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria;

(f) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and

(g) he has, immediately preceding the date of his application, either-

(i) resided in Nigeria for a continuous period of fifteen years; or

(ii) resided in Nigeria continuously for a period of twelve months, and during the period of twenty years immediately preceding that period of twelve months has resided in Nigeria for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than fifteen years.

28. (1) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forfeit forthwith his Nigerian citizenship if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.

(2) Any registration of a person as a citizen of Nigeria or the grant of a certificate of naturalisation to a person who is a citizen of a country other than Nigeria at the time of such registration or grant shall, if he is not a citizen by birth of that other country, be conditional upon effective renunciation of the citizenship or nationality of that other country within a period of not more than five months from the date of such registration or grant.

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(2) The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registered and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria.

(3) The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-

(a) the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or

(b) in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

30. (1) The President may deprive a person, other than a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth or by registration, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied that such a person has, within a period of seven years after becoming naturalised, been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years.

(2) The President shall deprive a person, other than a person who is citizen of Nigeria by birth, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied from the records of proceedings of a court of law or other tribunal or after due inquiry in accordance with regulations made by him, that -

(a) the person has shown himself by act or speech to be disloyal towards the Federal Republic of Nigeria; or

(b) the person has, during any war in which Nigeria was engaged, unlawfully traded with the enemy or been engaged in or associated with any business that was in the opinion of the president carried on in such a manner as to assist the enemy of Nigeria in that war, or unlawfully communicated with such enemy to the detriment of or with intent to cause damage to the interest of Nigeria.

31. For the purposes of this Chapter, a parent or grandparent of a person shall be deemed to be a citizen of Nigeria if at the time of the birth of that person such parent or grandparent would have possessed that status by birth if he had been alive on the date of independence; and in this section, "the date of independence" has the meaning assigned to it in section 25 (2) of this Constitution.

32. (1) The president may make regulations, not inconsistent with this Chapter, prescribing all matters which are required or permitted to be prescribed or which are necessary or convenient to be prescribed for carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Chapter, and for granting special immigrant status with full residential rights to non-Nigerian spouses of citizens of Nigeria who do not wish to acquire Nigerian citizenship.

(2) Any regulations made by the president pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be laid before the National Assembly.

Long read but very educative on Citizenship issues.
Re: Dual Citizenship by mustafar1: 5:53am On Mar 11, 2006
i never had a nigerian passport till i wanted to go back some years ago. applied and all that bull crap. made me bring in a copy of my mums birth certificate. bullshited me a lil but i still got wat i wanted. woulda applied for it in nigeria but i didnt want to go thru the whole question and answer nonsense with nobody. funny enough my other passport was issued in lagos and they sometimes try to mess with me cos of that.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Hotstepper(f): 9:56pm On Mar 11, 2006
hmm which ur other passport? ur american paasport?,
I know wat u mean, am yet 2 get ma 1st Nigerian passport. Hopefully diz summer and trust me. it must be issued in Canada
Re: Dual Citizenship by kimba(m): 12:44am On Mar 12, 2006
a lot of passport talks, all these immigration issues,

for me, i was born in the U.K. Ive got two main passports that i use, one is Chinese and the other a Nigerian Passport. Ive got a U.S passport too, but I prefer going around with my Chinese passport, We are the next rulers of the world, Go China tongue, and u know, its kinda funny that the immigration officers always give me some extra time, and an extra look whenever I travel, whats a black man doing with a Chinese Passport? They can go verify all they want, mine is grade A authentic.

Worse, I usually dont speak english when I travel, to put more effect into the whole ordeal. If I dont speak French, I blow my Mandarin or Nihongo(japanese).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dual Citizenship by Moremi: 6:22pm On Mar 27, 2006
i have it, save me $120.00 in visa fees
it was easy, i went to naija, and apply at the passport office.
now, i leave with both passport, enter naija with naija passport, leave naija with american passport, enter america, with american passport,
Re: Dual Citizenship by Imani(f): 9:29pm On Mar 27, 2006
kimba:

a lot of passport talks, all these immigration issues,

for me, i was born in the U.K. Ive got two main passports that i use, one is Chinese and the other a Nigerian Passport. Ive got a U.S passport too, but I prefer going around with my Chinese passport, We are the next rulers of the world, Go China tongue, and u know, its kind of funny that the immigration officers always give me some extra time, and an extra look whenever I travel, whats a black man doing with a Chinese Passport? They can go verify all they want, mine is grade A authentic.

Worse, I usually don't speak english when I travel, to put more effect into the whole ordeal. If I don't speak French, I blow my Mandarin or Nihongo(japanese).

Mr Kimba, Only you with 4 passports and maybe counting shocked. You are too much grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dual Citizenship by Mongue(m): 11:24am On Apr 07, 2006
Oasis, I was wanting Dual citizenship (UK / Nigeria) as I'm a Brit and my wife is Nigerian however the guy at the UK embassy said I would be totally wasting my time and money as he is only aware of one guy in ten years that was accepted and given Nigerian citizenship. I appreciate you may be Nigerian and asking about it from the other angle. I'm referring to becoming a Nigerian Citizen. Good luck anyhow!

Hey Sibli,

I'm very interested in your comment about trying to get a Nigerian passport as a Brit. I am in the same boat and have been trying to get a clear answer from people about what the requirements are for this. They vary from being 10 years in the country to 20 years etc etc. I would be interested to know if you had done any more investigating. I feel a bit hard done by that my wife was able to get her UK passport in just over a year, and I think that if I was a woman married to a Nigerian man it would be easier.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Goshen360(m): 1:33pm On Mar 02, 2008
PLS REFER TO THIS POST AND GET MORE DETAILS:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6387.0.html

TAKE CARE
Re: Dual Citizenship by manuch(m): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2008
i have had dual citizenship from birth (uk/nigeria) i hold the two passports . this is how i travel wen i'm leaving lagos i show them my nigeria passport and flash my uk . cos the nigerian doesn't ve a visa. the nigerian passport gets stamped . wen i get to the u.k. i only show my uk which they never stamp. in dat way it is only your nigerian passport that gets stamped all the time.
Re: Dual Citizenship by landis(m): 7:08pm On Apr 18, 2008
in that way it is only your nigerian passport that gets stamped all the time.

what if you had problem while in Nigeria and you are detained. since you entered nigeria with your naija pali, you cant claim UK ciitzen.

this happened to a sudan/uk dual citizen. he entered sudan with his sudanese pali and was arrested, he was tried as sudannese even though UK claimed, he should be returned. the court did not allowed since he entered as sudanese.

just becareful of legal implications,
Re: Dual Citizenship by osa332003(m): 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2010
i travelled recently to nigeria on a russian passport with a nigerian visa from moscow,nigerians who came with me were not allowed entry in egypt we had a connecting flight to nigeria in 15 hours time i was taken to the hotel they were left behind,i went really mad with the immigration officers i felt really bad for my people when we arrived in lagos it became worse,i went through immigrations with out problems fellow nigerians were molested,i renounced my nigerian citizenship because i could really do nothing without a russian passport new russian constitution did not allow dual citizenship i had no option i disscussed it with my nigerian extended family we made a dicision that i should go for it and i only got mine 2005.it does not make me anti nigerian i love my fatherland like no one GOD BLESS NIGERIA AMEN
Re: Dual Citizenship by matgeezy: 12:54pm On Jun 27, 2011
hello everyone!!!! i'm new here. i am a dual citizen(us/nigeria). i have the two passports. i will be making a trip from nigeria to the united kingdom in a few days on my american passport. the uk embassy says i dnt need a visa to enter the uk with my valid american passport.
the problem i have now is how do i return? do i just present my nigerian passport?? do i neeed to get a visa to return to nigeria? i cant get any info on this on the internet. please help!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visa Free Countries For Nigerians / Marriage Certificate / How Do I Get To Sango Ota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.