Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (129217 Views)

Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 12:30am On Jun 02, 2013
Sybellah: Nice thread! I like the Ijaws' culture, it looks rich
by the way, are these kente clothes on their head?

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/575168_66890_1293675521483_1818164160_549126_6717223_n_jpg047aeee99e2acb94e49b73ac32b5ec03[/img]
not really sure. .we call it a different name in Ijaw, not sure of the name
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by newchem: 11:26am On Jun 03, 2013
ijaw_girl: not really sure. .we call it a different name in Ijaw, not sure of the name

Ijaws call it Akara or Ashitee
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 03, 2013
newchem:

it's striking how Ankara and kente look a like. Do u know if there is a possible connection between the two?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 2:42pm On Jun 06, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 9:17am On Jun 28, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 10:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 10:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2013

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by AndreB: 10:59pm On Aug 02, 2014
tpia5: These names are a bit over the top nah?

I mean, i`m just saying.

Unless the people bearing them are of european descent.

And what happened to the regular ijaw names- i mean those long ones which are a bit difficult to pronounce.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

The Ijaws adopted European sounding names...to make trade with the Europeans easier...imagine a Briton trying to say a long ijaw name.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:48am On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 10:25pm On Sep 20, 2014

1 Like

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by BlackKenichi(m): 11:53pm On Sep 20, 2014
ijawgirl:
Adorable!
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 12:07am On Sep 30, 2014
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
OP you did well though there are more befiting Ijaw Attires that you should have included. Well done all the same.

#Proudly Ijaw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
newchem:

Akara or Ashitee? Whch Ijaw clan exactly? In Okrika we call it Njiri(injiri)
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by oyinpr(m): 8:56am On Dec 03, 2014
FBI....#FULL BLOODED IJAW
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:52pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:54pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:54pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:58pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 4:01pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 4:02pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nabzguy: 8:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
OneNaira6:

Cross River consist of Ibibio, Efik, Annang, Igbo, etc with Efik being the majority.  Traditional attires tend to be interchangeable among SE and SS region.  I saw hats I assumed was just an Igbo man dress style because its the type of hat worn exclusively among my community but I just learned otherwise.

Beads on the other hand is very common among Nigerian southern groups but the heavy neck beads is exclusive to River groups.  I'm not sure if the heavy bead is just an Ijaw dress style or an all rivers group dress style due to the fact I know a Rivers Igbo woman married to an Edo man and she was dressed in similar attire during her traditional wedding and another river igbo woman dressed the same way during her traditional wedding which Ijaw girl posted here. 
Get your facts right, Cross Rivers has no Igbo as part of what it constitute.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Afriifa(m): 10:38am On Oct 07, 2016
NRIPRIEST:
Ole girl, hate who ? What will make me to hate on Ijaw ppl ?
When I peruse through these your pictures I get an idea of people who are trying so hard to create a culture that never existed and thats why you see them throwing anything onto their body just so they can look culturally savvy and not having the moderation to know when to cease!!
I mean to ask if these ppl are nuts?? You wear so much stuff on your body and dont know when you start looking feminine. . . The issue is not the material but how it was sew and how much is suppose to be worn.
MODIFICATION IS THE ANSWER!!!
hate is bad
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nabzguy: 5:28pm On Dec 06, 2016
NRIPRIEST:
Ole girl, hate who ? What will make me to hate on Ijaw ppl ?
When I peruse through these your pictures I get an idea of people who are trying so hard to create a culture that never existed and thats why you see them throwing anything onto their body just so they can look culturally savvy and not having the moderation to know when to cease!!
I mean to ask if these ppl are nuts?? You wear so much stuff on your body and dont know when you start looking feminine. . . The issue is not the material but how it was sew and how much is suppose to be worn.
MODIFICATION IS THE ANSWER!!!
Well we dont need to dress just like you, we are proud of what we have, its our native dressing period. we dont need your endorsement.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by jbblues24(m): 9:14pm On Jun 01, 2019
I want to learn this kind of atmosphere! Teach me. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.