Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97187 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 3:15am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

they all not yoruba

liklly benin

They're all Edo. I remember seeing these pictures in a textbook.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 3:20am On Nov 24, 2011
odumchi:

They're all Edo. I remember seeing these pictures in a textbook.

yep i agreee

alj_harem:

they [size=18pt]all[/size] not yoruba

liklly benin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 3:24am On Nov 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Just did some hard research, spaghetti is actually a yoruba food too. shocked

Re-do your research. Spaghetti is not an African food, talkless of it being a Yoruba food.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 3:26am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

Traditional Yoruba clothes

Dude, you really should stick to Foreign affairs.

Sincerely, I'm not trying to be rude here.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 3:35am On Nov 24, 2011
they all not yoruba

liklly benin

Being that Yoruba and Edo people share the same roots, and Yorubas were also a part of Benin, I believe it makes sense to believe that Benin being the strongest influence in the region would have Yorubas wearing the same clothing. Besides, the clothing you see there is found in Ghana too pre-colonial,

Obviously the style on the fabrics and such will be different. But the overall style of the clothing, its form and such is very similiar to what can be seen in the pictures from Benin. What im saying is that I have not found evidence for the clothing presented at the beginning of this thread. Not that style.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 3:41am On Nov 24, 2011
. . . . Now that we know that egusi is Yoruba, can we move on to another subject?

Flywhisk is purely Yoruba, for yoruba kings.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 3:41am On Nov 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

. . . . Now that we know that egusi is Yoruba, can we move on to another subject?

Flywhisk is purely Yoruba, for yoruba kings.
grin grin grin smh otito ileke idi
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 3:48am On Nov 24, 2011
Who invented kabukabu if not the yorubas?

Nigerians would still be walking around with leaves strapped around their feet if not for that invention that led to other great shoes.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 4:00am On Nov 24, 2011
Sophisticated Igbo archaeology start in the 9th century so there a lot of things that could be claimed to come from the Igbo. Anyone else with items dating further back, apart from random pots, can post them or shut up.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 4:03am On Nov 24, 2011
ezeagu:

Sophisticated Igbo archaeology start in the 9th century so there a lot of things that could be claimed to come from the Igbo. Anyone else with items dating further back, apart from random pots, can post them or shut up.

true, Igbo ukwu is the name right !

but that is not the case here, or is it ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 4:04am On Nov 24, 2011
The case where?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 4:05am On Nov 24, 2011
Who invented kabukabu if not the yorubas?

Nigerians would still be walking around with leaves strapped around their feet if not for that invention that led to other great shoes.

Lol really?

As far as clothes go, I have never seen igbo people wearing much in the way of anything like they wear now. So I find it hard to believe Igbo people are even wearing their traditional clothing at all.

The Igbo society was different from the Yoruba society from what I know. It was the forest life, more easy going and laid back. I dont see anything wrong with this though. I dont know the Igbos to be a warlike people.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 4:07am On Nov 24, 2011
ezeagu:

The case where?
here, we are talking of cultural influence of recent not the undocumented architectural empire many years ago.

there are still recent influence you can mention

I have mentioned 2, why not mention others, so we can learn, isn't it what a forum is there for
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:07am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

Lol really?

As far as clothes go, I have never seen igbo people wearing much in the way of anything like they wear now. So I find it hard to believe Igbo people are even wearing their traditional clothing at all.

The Igbo society was different from the Yoruba society from what I know. It was the forest life, more easy going and laid back. I dont see anything wrong with this though. I dont know the Igbos to be a warlike people.

What is their traditional clothing? I doubt the yorubas were wearing much back then either sha.

PS: This thread is about modern (21st century) influence of yorubas on Igbos, but some ppl have taken back to the colonial times, just so they can deny.

Dont mind my kabukabu (shoes, not clothing) joke.  grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:14am On Nov 24, 2011
Ok, let's look at tomatoes.

Those were introduced to nigeria at a particular point in time i think.

I remember hearing people did not cook with tomatóes in the olden days. No tomatoes in stews.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 4:23am On Nov 24, 2011
What is their traditional clothing? I doubt the yorubas were wearing much back then either sha.

PS: This thread is about modern (21st century)  influence of yorubas on Igbos, but some ppl have taken back to the colonial times, just so they can deny.

Dont mind my kabukabu (shoes, not clothing) joke.  Grin

Well from the pictures I have seen in an old book here they are just like any other african peoples. Appeared to be some type of leather clothing, intricate in its own way you know. The adornments and hair and such. I wish I could buy this book so you could see the pictures, hopefully it is still there we have so many Africans here someone might have bought it buy now. It's about 100 years old this book.

Anyway, if the Yoruba exchanged much with the Benin people they probably wore quite some clothes. As you can see in all the drawings which all predate colonialism, the Benin people were wearing clothes.

I know 100% Igbo people do not wear their traditional clothes. Whatever they are calling traditional now is not what they were wearing. I wish people would stop trying to reinvent what their "traditional" is and just wear what they wore. It's nothing to be ashamed of. People in Botswana still wear their skins, there are festivals in the pacific where people who go and work in office buildings during the week, where they tribal clothes. It's our culture, its what WE made.

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 4:25am On Nov 24, 2011
I remember hearing people did not cook with tomatóes in the olden days. No tomatoes in stews.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

funny.

What about Maggi? I cant believe all Africans use that instead of Néré, netetou, sumbala whatever u wanna call it.

I am aware its a generalization, but people have told me its sacrilege to not use it.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:28am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

Well from the pictures I have seen in an old book here they are just like any other african peoples. Appeared to be some type of leather clothing, intricate in its own way you know. The adornments and hair and such. I wish I could buy this book so you could see the pictures, hopefully it is still there we have so many Africans here someone might have bought it buy now. It's about 100 years old this book.

Anyway, if the Yoruba exchanged much with the Benin people they probably wore quite some clothes. As you can see in all the drawings which all predate colonialism, the Benin people were wearing clothes.

I know 100% Igbo people do not wear their traditional clothes. Whatever they are calling traditional now is not what they were wearing. I wish people would stop trying to reinvent what their "traditional" is and just wear what they wore. It's nothing to be ashamed of. People in Botswana still wear their skins, there are festivals in the pacific where people who go and work in office buildings during the week, where they tribal clothes. It's our culture, its what WE made.

I think I'm getting what you're saying.

Yorubas were under the Bini empire or some time, so both group did indeed influence each other. However, strong  Bini influence can only be seen within the Ondo population today. What you need to understand about yorubas is that they retain their culture/ tradition no matter what. Look at the people of Benin, Togo, Brazil, Cuba and Haiti. You can see that strong influence that can never die.

As for Igbos reinventing their tradition, I'll let them answer to that.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by cantell(m): 1:11pm On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

You people need to shut up if u are ignorant

Egusi is a yoruba food.

Egusi apparently a yoruba word was adopted by the igbos and hausa

the name egusi is a yoruba word. What do igbos know of egusi before the amagamation of Nigeria

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J7kdAQAAIAAJ&q=origin+of+egusi+soup&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup&hl=en&ei=2SDNTuSlI8W98gPLl8wE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6jrlyOPfr24C&pg=PA185&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwATgK#v=snippet&q=egusi%20yoruba&f=false

before colonisation, there was nothing like egusi in IGBOLAND.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cTNGxyb2ws0C&pg=PA505&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=origin%20of%20egusi%20soup%20yoruba&f=false

Really you people need to stop acting like retards. undecided
You shut up! It's pretty obvious you're the one acting like a slowpoke.
Tpiah must have sprinkled some of her pills into your food. Posting silly links and trying to force us to accept what we already know.
Busy doing nothing. Do you even do anything aside from whoring around the tribalism section?
Stinkin bat!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:36pm On Nov 24, 2011
cantell:

You shut up! It's pretty obvious you're the one acting like a slowpoke.
Tpiah must have sprinkled some of her pills into your food. Posting silly links and trying to force us to accept what we already know.
Busy doing nothing. Do you even do anything aside from whoring around the tribalism section?
Stinkin bat!

lol @tribalism

tribalism Just because you and afam4eve claims were false and I posted the truth. Someone that does not know una would think otherwise that egusi is igbo, but it is not

is that tribalism again

maybe I should have said egusi is an igbo food and igbo word, maybe I would not be a tribalist ko.

even the truth is tribalistic at times in you world. If something is not Igbos and you claim to be igbo, SHOULD WE ALL ACCEPT it so we would not be called tribalist ?

retard
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:43pm On Nov 24, 2011
I don't understand, is it a bad thing to learn a culture from another Nigerian ?

Haven't others learnt from igbos as well ? Why are you people making it a big deal like it is a bad thing ?

I myself have learnt Igbo language,culture and heritage, lived in ala igbo for years and I have seen cultural infusions from the north to west to east. What makes your own different ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by cantell(m): 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

I don't understand, is it a bad thing to learn a culture from another Nigerian ?

Haven't others learnt from igbos as well ? Why are you people making it a big deal like it is a bad thing ?

I myself have learnt Igbo language,culture and heritage, lived in ala igbo for years and I have seen cultural infusions from the north to west to east. What makes your own different ?
You sound like you believe in your own lies. If anyone agrees with the words in bold letters above, he or she must have their head thoroughly examined.
You lived in Igboland and yet you still reason like an slowpoke.
Googling and collecting bits of information about igbos is nearest you can ever get to Igboland.
Your wimpy a§§ is too inferior to be there.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 4:08pm On Nov 24, 2011
cantell:

You sound like you believe in your own lies. If anyone agrees with the words in bold letters above, he or she must have their head thoroughly examined.
You lived in Igboland and yet you still reason like an slowpoke.
Googling and collecting bits of information about igbos is nearest you can ever get to Igboland.
Your wimpy a§§ is too inferior to be there.

I said it, you are a bigoted person that is so tribalistic you cannot reason above ur nose.

what does google have on igbo ? NOT MUCH.

whether you believe me or not, does not change the fact that it happened. Moreover if I lived in igboland, would i BE A SUPERIOR BEING ?.

Anyway, it does not change that fact that Igbos have been greatly influenced by Nigerians and Nigerians also have been greatly influenced by Igbos.

Now relax and stop demostrating ur superirority complex on the net. It looks unconventional for an educated superior being like you, don't you think ? doluwa.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

So out of all the clothing pictured below, which would be the Igbo traditional clothes, bearing in mind most of the pictures were taken before 1910.

[center][img]http://3.bp..com/-xY2P9t5bq2M/TqSeovXGkVI/AAAAAAAAAvU/KJulFoCeOfY/s1600/AN00058234_001_l.jpeg%2Bcopy[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-tifb0tSCAb0/TdQ77b31AlI/AAAAAAAAAXs/zbv0mZQ6Zns/s1600/Man%2Bof%2BAwka.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/S3TsPEHAe1I/AAAAAAAAKCQ/12JxjR_FvuA/s640/igboman.png[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-cS9cPHNZDyY/TcCLZlYNzUI/AAAAAAAAAVo/FkHOhLfaMUU/s1600/Igwe.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TP719mL6-sI/AAAAAAAAAN4/p83-3Rwn_mc/s1600/ibekucoutxx.jpg.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TO_0OHJjiqI/AAAAAAAAALg/Ybf0eXZMLQs/s1600/Sacrifice%2Bto%2Bagwu.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TMBsba0Xw4I/AAAAAAAAALI/BJXyVNUmg1Y/s1600/Young+man+of+ubuluku+II.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TLt3U9JmtUI/AAAAAAAAAJo/PazGcuqwlCw/s1600/A+medicine+man+with+his+stock+in+trade.jpg[/img]
[/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by cantell(m): 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

I said it, you are a bigoted person that is so tribalistic you cannot reason above your nose.

what does google have on igbo ? NOT MUCH.

whether you believe me or not, does not change the fact that it happened. Moreover if I lived in igboland, would i BE A SUPERIOR BEING ?.

Anyway, it does not change that fact that Igbos have been greatly influenced by Nigerians and Nigerians also have been greatly influenced by Igbos.

Now relax and stop demostrating your superirority complex on the net. It looks unconventional for an educated superior being like you, don't you think ? doluwa.

^^with guys like you lurking around tribalism section 24/7 like housefly on a dead corpse, there's no relaxation for us.
Keep twisting my words to suit your crazy comments.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 4:27pm On Nov 24, 2011
cantell:

^^with guys like you lurking around tribalism section 24/7 like housefly on a dead corpse, there's no relaxation for us.
Keep twisting my words to suit your crazy comments.

onye ara. Point where I was tribalsitic in this thread or else STOP showing ur stu.pidity here.

I had a good discussion with still water etc when you and One Naira came, everything changed for the worse.

Making false claim and if questioned, you are being labeled a tribalist shows how shallow you think. don't you think ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 5:06pm On Nov 24, 2011
So out of all the clothing pictured below, which would be the Igbo traditional clothes, bearing in mind most of the pictures were taken before 1910.

All of it could potentially be traditional Igbo clothing except for the men in the Western business suits. In all honesty it appears that there was a certain diffusion of clothing styles amongst all people in West Africa. At least when one considers what we have posted in this thread so far. The clothing in the picture reminds me of the clothing many nomadic/savannah peoples wore. Obviously the longer pieces appear to be inspired by the Mandé peoples. In general the people with greater status will wear more elaborate clothes and the people with lesser status will wear more common clothes or sometimes nothing.

What is most obvious from the pictures you've shown is that none of the popular clothing Igbo people wear today is what they wore traditionally.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by EzeUche(m): 5:17pm On Nov 24, 2011
SHAME ON YOU ILEKE-IDI

We Igbos did not even know that you Yorubas even existed in pre-colonial times.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 5:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
We Igbos did not even know that you Yorubas even existed in pre-colonial times.

Is this a joke? Surely the Yorubas were enslaving the igbos and selling them off to america.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by EzeUche(m): 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

Is this a joke? Surely the Yorubas were enslaving the igbos and selling them off to america.

Yorubas were enslaving fellow Yorubas, just like Igbos were enslaving fellow Igbos.

Only a few Igbos even knew about the Kingdom of Benin. The Western Igbos were only impacted by its influence. So how would we know about the Yoruba kingdoms.

Igboland was dominion of the Aro Igbo, which I am a member of the Aro.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by BlackLibya: 5:49pm On Nov 24, 2011
Yorubas were enslaving fellow Yorubas, just like Igbos were enslaving fellow Igbos.

Only a few Igbos even knew about the Kingdom of Benin. The Western Igbos were only impacted by its influence. So how would we know about the Yoruba kingdoms.

Igboland was dominion of the Aro Igbo, which I am a member of the Aro.

How could you not know about one of the largest empires in West Africa when you are not even so far away?

Maybe this is how you all were colonized. People cannot stand together when they dont even know that other people exist around them. How can you fight the colonization when you dont know what it is?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 6:19pm On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

How could you not know about one of the largest empires in West Africa when you are not even so far away?

Maybe this is how you all were colonized. People cannot stand together when they dont even know that other people exist around them. How can you fight the colonization when you dont know what it is?

Like he said, we never knew about your useless "empire". And sorry, maybe you can tell us why you all were conquered so swiftly u=yet we Igbos(Anioma Igbos) didn't go down untill after 31 hard years of war against the colonizers. Do you know what we would have done to you "yorubas" if you came to us with your "empire nonsense? Go sit down. Go read abt the Ekumeku war, buddy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.