Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97286 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:46am On Nov 22, 2011
Jenifa_:

and copy them  wink

sooner or later, agbada and gele will be touted as traditional igbo clothing.

actually, Yorubas have copied Igbo dressing as well. Lets not make it like it is only one way

this is fashola, unless you want to tell me what this is named in yoruba

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAKnWqy3LVWQIIFn1H_T1Yzasc5-lIaZ20ur-Osp5GemFxudU-oQ[/img]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

[size=14pt]Without being ran through by Islam:[/size]

[center][img]http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo-ukwu-burial.jpg[/img][/center]

Yoruba influenced Bini Empire who inturn influenced the Igbo monarch. Infact the Yorubas amongst the Bini empire may have been the one to directly spread the practice through the SE.

Still an "Islamic" influence.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:47am On Nov 22, 2011
Its named Igbo-Minna, or is it Ijegbu-Igbo, or Igbo-Ora, I can't remember.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 1:47am On Nov 22, 2011
How about aku isi = Nigerian head tie. If they call it something different in your language ignore it?

What I'm trying to make you understand is that my interpretation if head-tie is different from yours. Gele does not equal aku isi. So all Nigerian head-ties cant be labeled as "gele" since they are various.
Like I said before, gele is a type of headtie so if you want to talk about Yoruba headties you can, but Nigerian headties in general is a whole other topic.

Ileke-IdI:

Gele = Nigerian headtie for now. If they call it sth diff in your language, ignore it and think Gele for now.

And are the designs on the gele Yoruba designs?

[img]http://2.bp..com/-Pwro-DlhAqw/Tn4LlnJDTBI/AAAAAAAAC2c/ud73f-ZnI5k/s1600/Atinuke-Osude-Weds-Gbeke-Solanke-August-2011-BellaNaija-007-399x600.jpg[/img]

[s]We should celebrate multiculralism, but that shouldnt stop us from knowing the source of his mixture. Inferiority display by NLers on here is not enough to stop me.
[/s]

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Jenifa1: 1:48am On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

How about aku isi = Nigerian head tie. If they call it something different in your language ignore it?

What I'm trying to make you understand is that my interpretation if head-tie is different from yours. Gele does not equal aku isi. So all Nigerian head-ties cant be labeled as "gele" since they are various.
Like I said before, gele is a type of headtie so if you want to talk about Yoruba headties you can, but Nigerian headties in general is a whole other topic.

I googled aku isi and got no results.
you sure?

try googling[i] gele[/i] and see the resulting images.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:49am On Nov 22, 2011
alj_harem:

actually, Yorubas have copied Igbo dressing as well. Lets not make it like it is only one way

this is fashola, unless you want to tell me what this is named in yoruba

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAKnWqy3LVWQIIFn1H_T1Yzasc5-lIaZ20ur-Osp5GemFxudU-oQ[/img]

I'd love to know which attire we copied to the extent of practicing it during our traditional weddings.
I know that acculturation is not one sided, but plz post specifics.  tongue
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:49am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba influenced Bini Empire who inturn influenced the Igbo monarch. Infact the Yorubas amongst the Bini empire may have been the one to directly spread the practice through the SE.

Still an "Islamic" influence.

Very knowledgable of history aren't you? 9th century Igbo-Ukwu, the home of Nigerian bronze (and the oldest fly-whisk) was influenced by a non-existent Benin with a non-existent empire with a non-existent Oba with a non-existent bronzing tradtion in the 800s.

Again:

ezeagu:

[size=14pt]Without being ran through by Islam:[/size]

[center][img]http://migrationstoriesofnigerianigbo.files./2009/11/igbo-ukwu-burial.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:50am On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Alh harem, have you been following this thread ?? You are not a man of integrity!! You are a liar,you are biased to the highest heavend and you are a compulsive tribalist!!! And please stop deceiving yourself by saying u are related to Igbos!! You are a very disgusting fool!!! U reeks of hate against the Igbos but if you continue like this you will never achieve anything in life!! YOU ARE A BLOODY STINKING AND UNREPENTANT IGBO HATING LIAR!!!

Hater, IF YOU TELL ME HOW, I WOULD DELETE MY ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW !!!!

HOW , I am waiting
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:50am On Nov 22, 2011
Oldest fly-whisk in Nigeria, certified Igbo.

[center][img]http://schools.nashua.edu/myclass/lavalleev/Art%20History%20Pictures/ch15/15-04.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:51am On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

Is language the barrier issue for your here?

Of course each tribe is going to have a different name for the same headtie.

Not asking for linguistic history here.

Thanks.

Back to the question: When did we start wearing flamboyant geles?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Jenifa1: 1:52am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks.

don't mind him. that igbo bride is CLEARLY wearing a gele.
aku ise ko, akposhe ni

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:52am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'd love to know which attire we copied to the extent of practicing it during our traditional weddings.
I know that acculturation is not one sided, but plz post specifics.  tongue

Yeah, that's because your wear Arab clothing, not actual African clothing so you can't be inspired by the Igbo.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 22, 2011
LOL About that flywhisk, where did that one start too?

I see another thread coming up.  tongue

Nigeria and it's beautiful cultures. Finding the sources of each culture should be fun.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:53am On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

Very knowledgable of history aren't you? 9th century Igbo-Ukwu, the home of Nigerian bronze (and the oldest fly-whisk) was influenced by a non-existent Benin with a non-existent empire with a non-existent Oba with a non-existent bronzing tradtion in the 800s.

Again:

True, the Empire in ala igbo were the first to build bronze in southern Nigeria.

I was discussing that with Ndu chuks on the other thread
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:54am On Nov 22, 2011
Igbo people call head tie "ichafu isi", yorubas call it gele.
And what is that outfit Fashola is wearing
Ezeagu,thanks for posting that Fashola pics!! Let me see what will happen now !!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:55am On Nov 22, 2011
See the Yoruba influence even in Europe and Asia: "Gele" everywhere!

[center]

[/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:56am On Nov 22, 2011
I don't understand why Igbos on this thread are fighting. Where it is aku isi or gele. Head gear is head gear. Really you people are funny

some call this hate

other call this bigotry

but what is it is what it is.

Should I say gele is of igbo origin ? when i know it is not. D'is see me see trouble
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 1:56am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks.

grin

Ileke, gele is only relevant to Yoruba is what I'm trying to say. I don't know how I can be any clearer.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL About that flywhisk, where did that one start too?

I see another thread coming up.  tongue

Nigeria and it's beautiful cultures. Finding the sources of each culture should be fun.

9th century [size=14pt]bronze[/size], oldest in Nigeria, got any older?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:57am On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Igbo people call head tie "ichafu isi", yorubas call it gele.
A[b]nd what is that outfit Fashola is wearing
Ezeagu,thanks for posting that Fashola pics!! Let me see what will happen no[/b]w !!

It is not ezeage but Me that posted the picture. Or your hate for me has blinded you to that as well
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:57am On Nov 22, 2011
In short:

[center][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:58am On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

9th century [size=14pt]bronze[/size], oldest in Nigeria, got any older?

correction. SOUTHERN NIGERIA

the kanuri dates back as 4th century
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

grin

Ileke, gele is only relevant to Yoruba is what I'm trying to say. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

That's an interesting opinion.
Why other women of other tribes wear the same head gear should be an interesting explanation.

[img]http://geleaffair.files./2011/02/omonaija_proofing-9-resized.jpg[/img]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:59am On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

In short:

[center][img1276073226-view-0.jpg[/img][/center]

Those are not gele or ichici isi
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:59am On Nov 22, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 1:59am On Nov 22, 2011
stupid nigerians fighting over what did not originate from nigeria, even the ghananians started wearing it before the yorubas and igbos knew what it is, all the pictures ilekidi posted can be from any afican country as the women and men all dress the same,  everyother thing from the women head tie to the men clothing and lace are worn by all west african and central african group.

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires, (See Bisht and Kaftan for information on these).
The use of the Grand boubou as clothing became widespread throughout the West African region with the migration of semi-nomadic groups such as the Fulani, and traders such as the Dyula and Hausa. Comparing the Grand boubou to the various styles of Arabic Thawb suggests the Grand boubou follows an archaic template to the contemporary male clothing of the Middle East and North Africa.
[edit]Use

The Grand boubou is usually decorated with intricate embroidery, and is worn on special religious or ceremonial occasions, for example the two Islamic Eid festivals, weddings, funerals or for attending the Mosque for Friday prayer. It has become the formal attire of many countries in West Africa. Older robes have become family heirlooms passed on from father to son and are worn as status symbols.
The Boubou has female versions in Mali, Senegal, Gambia and Guinea, whereas in other regions of West Africa, the female formal clothing has been the wrapper.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 2:00am On Nov 22, 2011
alj_harem:

correction. SOUTHERN NIGERIA

the kanuri dates back as 4th century

Do you have any links?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:01am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

silly nigerians fighting over what did not originate from nigeria, even the ghananians started wearing it before the yorubas and igbos knew what it is, all the pictures ilekidi posted can be from any afican country as the women and men all dress the same,  everyother thing from the women head tie to the men clothing and lace are worn by all west african and central african group.

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires, (See Bisht and Kaftan for information on these).
The use of the Grand boubou as clothing became widespread throughout the West African region with the migration of semi-nomadic groups such as the Fulani, and traders such as the Dyula and Hausa. Comparing the Grand boubou to the various styles of Arabic Thawb suggests the Grand boubou follows an archaic template to the contemporary male clothing of the Middle East and North Africa.
[edit]Use

The Grand boubou is usually decorated with intricate embroidery, and is worn on special religious or ceremonial occasions, for example the two Islamic Eid festivals, weddings, funerals or for attending the Mosque for Friday prayer. It has become the formal attire of many countries in West Africa. Older robes have become family heirlooms passed on from father to son and are worn as status symbols.
The Boubou has female versions in Mali, Senegal, Gambia and Guinea, whereas in other regions of West Africa, the female formal clothing has been the wrapper.

Very very false and wrong

clothing was introduced to ghanaians by Fulanis

ashanti use to wear stone cloth back then and that was why they were the protective culture
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:02am On Nov 22, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 2:02am On Nov 22, 2011
alj_harem:

Very very false and wrong

clothing was introduced to ghanaians by Fulanis

ashanti use to wear stone cloth back then and that was why they were the protective culture

shocked
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by htajz: 2:02am On Nov 22, 2011
and what the Bleep is gele ?? head tie is head tie ,ileki stop fooling yoruself here
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 2:03am On Nov 22, 2011
htajz:

[size=18pt]and what the bleep is gele [/size]?? head tie is head tie ,ileki stop fooling yoruself here

Go and ask Ask Google, then come back for proper discussion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.