Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,053 members, 7,863,736 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 02:53 AM

Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police (20931 Views)

Police Arrest Madu Onuorah From His Abuja Home / HURIWA Apologizes To Asabe Waziri An NNPCL Staff Over Defamatory Statement / Emefiele Demands N25bn As Damages From Akpabio Over ‘defamatory Remark’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Ishilove: 4:43am On May 24
DaddyJapan:
Chai, tyranny of religion jam tyranny of our judicial system. angry

Source: https://globalupfront.com/2024/05/01/u-s-based-catholic-reverend-sister-in-court-over-assault-on-75-year-old-stepmother

Very unprofessional article. No wonder he was arrested. How can a so-called 'veteran journalist' write what looks like a hack job? If it was a member of his team who wrote this then his editorial team should be fired.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Ishilove: 4:47am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

Have you seen the so called defamation article? Or you're just supporting it because you happened to see the name of the journalist?

https://globalupfront.com/2024/05/01/u-s-based-catholic-reverend-sister-in-court-over-assault-on-75-year-old-stepmother
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Pecoleee345: 5:56am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

Like I said, the police has nothing to do with this matter yet. There's no evidence to prove that the police invited him, except what the police wrote up there. And if you're from this country you know that the words of the police are not to be trusted

That aside, it is the job of the court to serve him. This is completely a matter that the courts should handle. The police is not the court or a judge.

The answer to your question what the police should have done is simply "NOTHING"

The police does not settle matters. Only the courts do. And it's the duty of the courts to judge the journalist and determine whether he is guilty or innocent.

What if a court has already grant a warrant of arrest??

You just begin economical with the truth......Nigerians don't honor court summon easily. Most times is police that drag them to court.

Just yesterday police arrested a guy who wrote trash that E money is having an affair with jnr pope wife.....everyone supported the arrest, how is it different from this

Defamation isn't a civil matter anymore......you can't just wake up and start writing trash about someone.

We blame the police all the time forgetting we civilian are also terrible.

I don't trust the police either do I trust the citizen....we are all the same.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 8:32am On May 24
Pecoleee345:

What if a court has already grant a warrant of arrest??

You just begin economical with the truth......Nigerians don't honor court summon easily. Most times is police that drag them to court.

Just yesterday police arrested a guy who wrote trash that E money is having an affair with jnr pope wife.....everyone supported the arrest, how is it different from this

Defamation isn't a civil matter anymore......you can't just wake up and start writing trash about someone.

We blame the police all the time forgetting we civilian are also terrible.

I don't trust the police either do I trust the citizen....we are all the same.

I didn't have a chance to comment on the emoney post. Because it was already way beyond first page by the time I saw it.

Emoney is not particularly a good example for a law abider. So he shouldn't be used as a yardstick for measurement. What he used the police to do was just a show of power and nothing more. Same emoney has a case of fraud hanging on his head and he was sued. Not kidnapped by 10 armed police men in 2 Hilux vans.

Your statement about, we all are the same, is not how societies grow. It's actually how societies rot. When you encourage impunity because it seems everyone is doing it.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 8:39am On May 24
Ishilove:

https://globalupfront.com/2024/05/01/u-s-based-catholic-reverend-sister-in-court-over-assault-on-75-year-old-stepmother

It is still the duty of the courts to determine if the man is innocent or guilty. The job of the police is to investigate what the writer wrote to see if it is true. And if it is true, then it is not defamation.

If a politician steals money, and a journalist writes about it, it is not defamation. So please let's be mindful of what we support because if this flies, every politician will use the police to torment whoever writes anything about them. They will basically become emperor's.

I still stand on my statement that the police are wrong on this.

In my opinion, I think the article may be true. The journalist had written that she used soldiers earlier. And now she's using the police. But it is still the duty of the courts to judge,and that of the police to investigate, not to kidnap and intimidate.

She should have sued the journalist like she would if the event happened in America where she is based.

You don't destroy your country and then run to another man's country, and still keep destroying your country from there.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 8:47am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid

In Nigeria there is something called criminal defamation.

If someone petitions the police that he has been criminally defamed, then the police will investigate.

The police will invite the other party in the course of its investigation.

If the other party refuses to appear, then the police can assume that he is fleeing and can apply to a magistrate for a warrant of arrest.

This is a response to your claim that it is a civil matter and that the police have no business in it.

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Ishilove: 9:19am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

It is still the duty of the courts to determine if the man is innocent or guilty. The job of the police is to investigate what the writer wrote to see if it is true. And if it is true, then it is not defamation.

If a politician steals money, and a journalist writes about it, it is not defamation. So please let's be mindful of what we support because if this flies, every politician will use the police to torment whoever writes anything about them. They will basically become emperor's.

I still stand on my statement that the police are wrong on this.

In my opinion, I think the article may be true. The journalist had written that she used soldiers earlier. And now she's using the police. But it is still the duty of the courts to judge,and that of the police to investigate, not to kidnap and intimidate.

She should have sued the journalist like she would if the event happened in America where she is based.

You don't destroy your country and then run to another man's country, and still keep destroying your country from there.
Unless the journalist was physically there when the alleged assault was taking place, all she is accused of are allegations.

You made a comparison with a journalist writing about a thieving politician. There is no basis of comparison there because, the investigative journalist will have hard evidence like receipts, memos, a money trail etc to back up their claims. Madu wrote the article like it was a paid hack job, which is why he im trouble..

Besides, the he was invited several times but he refused to honour the invitation, which is why he was arrested. When something is bad, let us keep sentiments aside and say it as it is.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Pecoleee345: 9:20am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

I didn't have a chance to comment on the emoney post. Because it was already way beyond first page by the time I saw it.

Emoney is not particularly a good example for a law abider. So he shouldn't be used as a yardstick for measurement. What he used the police to do was just a show of power and nothing more. Same emoney has a case of fraud hanging on his head and he was sued. Not kidnapped by 10 armed police men in 2 Hilux vans.

Your statement about, we all are the same, is not how societies grow. It's actually how societies rot. When you encourage impunity because it seems everyone is doing it.

Once again it all same of same ......when same is done to you by then you will understand better.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:21am On May 24
naptu2:
CorrectionFLuid

In Nigeria there is something called criminal defamation.

If someone petitions the police that he has been criminally defamed, then the police will investigate.

The police will invite the other party in the course of its investigation.

If the other party refuses to appear, then the police can assume that he is fleeing and can apply to a magistrate for a warrant of arrest.

This is a response to your claim that it is a civil matter and that the police have no business in it.

So if a politician embezzles money, and a journalist exposes it, the politician will just use the police to bundle the journalist?

In the screen shot you posted, it clearly said that the publication has to be false. Who determines it to be false?

Using 10 armed policemen to kidnap a person already shows the police to be bias. Working for the highest bidder.

It is a clear show of power, otherwise they should go and kidnap Yahaya bello if they know they are in the right.

But then, you said your reply is a response to a particular thing I said, and your reply is duly noted.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:27am On May 24
Pecoleee345:

Once again it all same of same ......when same is done to you by then you will understand better.

When same is done to me, I will sue. The writer must come and prove every sentence he wrote. Instead of resorting to show of power. The said man is established in this country, having held high positions in reputable newspapers. And having a family.

I know when my community was fighting for a piece of land with a very powerful man. I know we involved the press, and I know how much some of those pressmen suffered just for publishing things that actually happened.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:29am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

So if a politician embezzles money, and a journalist exposes it, the politician will just use the police to bundle the journalist?

In the screen shot you posted, it clearly said that the publication has to be false. Who determines it to be false?

Using 10 armed policemen to kidnap a person already shows the police to be bias. Working for the highest bidder.

It is a clear show of power, otherwise they should go and kidnap Yahaya bello if they know they are in the right.

But then, you said your reply is a response to a particular thing I said, and your reply is duly noted.

You are still refusing (I don't know whether deliberately) to see where you have erred. Please actually read the law, then you'll understand.

Cool your emotions (because your examples have nothing to do with the facts at hand) and read this.

1) If a person publishes a defamatory material, then the victim can petition the police.

2) The police can invite the other party in the course of investigation.

3) If you are invited, you simply go with your lawyer. There have been many cases where people were invited, they went with their lawyer and they were released immediately. There have also been cases where the petitioner has been arrested by the police for providing false information.

4) It is the job of the police to investigate and see whether the case has enough substance to send to the DPP or charge to court. In the criminal justice system, the police investigates, the DPP or police prosecutes and the courts adjudicate.

5) Read the law, it provides a definition of defamation, provides exceptions, etc. Don't work based on emotions or assumption.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:30am On May 24
By the way, correctionfluid, have you now accepted that it is a criminal matter and that the police have a role?

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:31am On May 24
Ishilove:

Unless the journalist was physically there when the alleged assault was taking place, all she is accused of are allegations.

You made a comparison with a journalist writing about a thieving politician. There is no basis of comparison there because, the investigative journalist will have hard evidence like receipts, memos, a money trail etc to back up their claims. Madu wrote the article like it was a paid hack job, which is why he im trouble..

Besides, the he was invited several times but he refused to honour the invitation, which is why he was arrested. When something is bad, let us keep sentiments aside and say it as it is.

What you're doing here is simply choosing what to believe and what not to. You already concluded that the man was lying. But then you choose to believe that the police actually invited him because they said so.

I am also sure you have chosen to not believe the man and his family when they were asking the 10 armed men why they are taking him away.

10 armed men to arrest an unarmed journalist on his home shows that there is already a bias. That it is more of a show of power.

You talked about having hard evidence, but who determines the truth? Is it not the court?
If this exact thing happened in the US where this reverend sister is based, is she going to use the cops to whisk the journalist away, or is she going to sue?

I don't support weakening our institutions and running to another country to keep weakening it further from there. It is people like this sister that will be saying all manner of rubbish against Nigeria from abroad
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:35am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

What you're doing here is simply choosing what to believe and what not to. You already concluded that the man was lying. But then you choose to believe that the police actually invited him because they said so.

I am also sure you have chosen to not believe the man and his family when they were asking the 10 armed men why they are taking him away.

10 armed men to arrest an unarmed journalist on his home shows that there is already a bias. That it is more of a show of power.

You are doing the exact same thing you accuse Ishilove of doing.

1) You say that the police did not invite him. Do you have proof that the police did not invite him?

2) You say that the allegation in the article is true. Where is your proof?

In fact, all through this thread it looks like you have just been making things up as you go along.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:43am On May 24
naptu2:

You are doing the exact same thing you accuse Ishilove of doing.

1) You say that the police did not invite him. Do you have proof that the police did not invite him?

2) You say that the allegation in the article is true. Where is your proof?

In fact, all through this thread it looks like you have just been making things up as you go along.

I didn't say any of these things, stop putting words I to my mouth. I said it is the duty of the court to determine the case. And I did not say the police didn't invite him.

You already concluded that the man was lying. But then you choose to believe that the police actually invited him because they said so.

This is what I said. How does that mean that I said that the police did not invite him?
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:45am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

I didn't say any of these things, stop putting words I to my mouth. I said it is the duty of the court to determine the case. And I did not say the police didn't invite him.

This is what I said. How does that mean that I said that the police did not invite him?

Who said it's not the duty of the court to determine the case??

HAS THE POLICE DETERMINED THE CASE NOW??

Do you even know how the justice system works?

Whose job is it to investigate the matter? Answer that question first.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:46am On May 24
naptu2:
By the way, correctionfluid, have you now accepted that it is a criminal matter and that the police have a role?

I accept that it is a criminal matter when the court determines it is. And then the police will have a role.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:48am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

I accept that it is a criminal matter when the court determines it is. And then the police will have a role.

Obviously you don't know how the law works.

The law states whether it is a criminal matter or not. The law has already been made.

If armed robbers invade your house and kill your wife, you'd say that the police should not get involved until the court determines that it is a criminal matter?

🤣

Don't embarrass yourself

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:50am On May 24
grin At this point it's just entertainment. He's obviously not serious.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:53am On May 24
naptu2:

Who said it's not the duty of the court to determine the case??

HAS THE POLICE DETERMINED THE CASE NOW??

Do you even know how the justice system works?

Whose job is it to investigate the matter? Answer that question first.

Whisking the unarmed man away from his home with 10 armed men already shows bias. It is just a show of power by the reverend sister. We do not know if the man was actually invited before. What we have is the word of the police which can be false. We also do not know if what the man wrote in his article is true. What we have is his article. The article talked about several people who can actually corroborate the story or refute it.

Talking with these people in the article should have come before whisking the man away with 10 armed police officers.
If you've ever had 5 armed vigilante coming to your house with one hilux to look for you, you will understand that it's already too much. Talkless of 10 armed police men with 2 hilux vans. When you are not armed.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 9:56am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

We do not know if the man was actually invited before. What we have is the word of the police which can be false. We also do not know if what the man wrote in his article is true. What we have is his article. The article talked about several people who can actually corroborate the story or refute it.

Talking with these people in the article should have come before whisking the man away with 10 armed police officers.

I was just waiting for you to do it again. You make allegations that you cannot back up, then you run away from them.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THE POLICE HAVE NOT ALREADY SPOKEN TO OTHERS INVOLVED IN THE MATTER BEFORE INVITING THE MAN??

Provide proof that the police hasn't spoken to them.

Don't run away from this.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:56am On May 24
naptu2:

Obviously you don't know how the law works.

The law states whether it is a criminal matter or not. The law has already been made.

If armed robbers invade your house and kill your wife, you'd say that the police should not get involved until the court determines that it is a criminal matter?

🤣

Don't embarrass yourself

The police will still have to go to court even if the armed robber is caught red handed. They just have evidence to keep the armed robber, and more evidence to get a quick sentence.
The police is not the judge jury and executioner. And there is nothing on nairaland to be embarrass about. The site is already an embarrassment.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 9:58am On May 24
naptu2:

I was just waiting for you to do it again. You make allegations that you cannot back up, then you run away from them.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THE POLICE HAVE NOT ALREADY SPOKEN TO OTHERS INVOLVED IN THE MATTER BEFORE INVITING THE MAN??

Provide proof that the police hasn't spoken to them.

Don't run away from this.

Its like you are a policeman, because this is exactly how they try to put words in your mouth. And its not just the Nigerian poilice that does this. I dont know how you read what you quoted, and what you understand is that I am saying the police did not invite the man.

Oya ask me to prove that you are a police man. 1,2,go.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by DaddyJapan(m): 9:59am On May 24
Meanwhile...

Police release Abuja editor on bail

The publisher and editor-in-chief of a newspaper platform, Globalupfront Newspapers, Madu Onuorah, who was abducted from his residence in Lugbe, Abuja by policemen on Wednesday has been released.

Onuorah’s release was announced by the management of the Globalupfront Newspapers in a statement on Friday.

The management disclosed that he was released on bail on Thursday night by the Enugu State Police Command.

The statement read, “We have confirmed the release (on bail) of our Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, Mr. Madu Onuorah who was abducted by men of the Ebonyi Police Command on Wednesday 22/5/2024 evening from his residence in Lugbe, Abuja.

“He was released late Thursday, 23/5/2024, night by Enugu State Police Command who requested the Ebonyi Police to abduct him for them. We are awaiting a full briefing by Mr Onuorah and our lawyers before issuing a full statement on this matter and the next line of action.

“We solidly stand by our Editor-in-Chief and the harmless story we published. We insist the police station is not a court of law where alleged defamation cases are tried. We want to thank the Journalism and Media family, friends and well-wishers, and all defenders of freedom of expression who rose against a budding tyranny.”

On Wednesday, Onuorah was whisked away by the security operatives at about 6 p.m. in the presence of his wife and children, the management said.

PUNCH Online gathered that about 10 fully-armed policemen stormed his residence in Lugbe, Abuja, in two Sienna buses and took the editor without presenting a warrant of arrest, while he’s remained incommunicado with his family members, lawyer, and his workplace.

His abduction came barely 21 days after a journalist with the Foundation for Investigative Journalism, Daniel Ojukwu, was abducted by the Intelligence Response Team of the Inspector General of Police.

Ojukwu who was initially held at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, in Lagos State, was later transferred to the Nigeria Police Force National Cybercrime Centre in Abuja.

Source: https://punchng.com/police-release-abuja-editor-on-bail
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 10:01am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

The police will still have to go to court even if the armed robber is caught red handed. They just have evidence to keep the armed robber, and more evidence to get a quick sentence.
The police is not the judge jury and executioner. And there is nothing on nairaland to be embarrass about. The site is already an embarrassment.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did the police tell you that the man won't be charged to court??

They just have evidence to keep the armed robber

The police just has evidence to keep the journalist.

But, once again, you tried to run away from the question and I'm not going to let you escape.

My question was, can the police get involved. Your very answer shows that the police will get involved.

The very fact that you are attempting to dribble from what you know to be true shows that you are not worth my time.

I only engage people who are being sincere.

Goodbye, I have proved my point and I will not read your responses because it is obvious to me that you are not being serious.

1 Like

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 10:02am On May 24
naptu2:

You are still refusing (I don't know whether deliberately) to see where you have erred. Please actually read the law, then you'll understand.

Cool your emotions (because your examples have nothing to do with the facts at hand) and read this.

1) If a person publishes a defamatory material, then the victim can petition the police.

2) The police can invite the other party in the course of investigation.

3) If you are invited, you simply go with your lawyer. There have been many cases where people were invited, they went with their lawyer and they were released immediately. There have also been cases where the petitioner has been arrested by the police for providing false information.

4) It is the job of the police to investigate and see whether the case has enough substance to send to the DPP or charge to court. In the criminal justice system, the police investigates, the DPP or police prosecutes and the courts adjudicate.

5) Read the law, it provides a definition of defamation, provides exceptions, etc. Don't work based on emotions or assumption.

Your number 3. Did you read where they said that the police seized his phone? How then can he get his lawyer? I am not saying the man is innocent. I am saying that this is most likely a show of power, and an intimidation job.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 10:04am On May 24
It looks like he is still wasting his time and trying to engage me.

I won't read it. wink

2 Likes

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 10:05am On May 24
naptu2:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did the police tell you that the man won't be charged to court??

The police just has evidence to keep the journalist.

But, once again, you tried to run away from the question and I'm not going to let you escape.

My question was, can the police get involved. Your very answer shows that the police will get involved.

The very fact that you are attempting to dribble from what you know to be true shows that you are not worth my time.

I only engage people who are being sincere.

Goodbye, I have proved my point and I will not read your responses because it is obvious to me that you are not being serious.

Lol. Just a while ago you were telling me to calm my emotions but you got yours all over the place. You said I shouldn't run, but thats exactly what you are doing.

You prove a point yes. And the point you prove is that you are in support of lack of due process. Goodbye to you too.

PS the man has been released. Now the police has another opportunity to follow due process.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by naptu2: 10:07am On May 24
This is for objective people.

The law has already made provisions for public interest and facts (like a journalist that writes a report about a corrupt politician). See below.

And, of course, any arrest warrant would have to be issued by a judge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by Ishilove: 10:25am On May 24
CorrectionFLuid:

This is all semantics. "Because they say so" shows you do not believe that he was indeed invited by the police. You do not have proof that he was not invited by the police, so saying "because they say so" is an assumption that the Nigerian police is lying.

You also say I concluded he is lying. With an unbiased mind, read that article again and you will see that it was written like everything is factual, with evidence to back up his claims. A trained journalist, while reporting an incident is supposed to be objective in his reportage, but the offending article has no iota of objectivity.
Re: Madu Onuorah Arrested Over Defamatory Publication Against Nun - Police by CorrectionFLuid: 10:44am On May 24
Ishilove:

This is all semantics. "Because they say so" shows you do not believe that he was indeed invited by the police. You do not have proof that he was not invited by the police, so saying "because they say so" is an assumption that the Nigerian police is lying.

You also say I concluded he is lying. With an unbiased mind, read that article again and you will see that it was written like everything is factual, with evidence to back up his claims. A trained journalist, while reporting an incident is supposed to be objective in his reportage, but the offending article has no iota of objectivity.

My dear, the man has been released. The police is again presented with another opportunity to now follow due process. Shalom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Supreme Court Rules On Bayelsa Governorship Election / Why PDP Lost Ondo – Kashamu / PVC Collection: Policeman Flogs People At Marwa, Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.