Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (209669 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 25, 2011
gogodaye:

In addition, l'll equally appreciate being provided with a step by step guide on how to input the code to unlock the cars' gamma radio set which only indicates 'SAFE' when switched on. Thank you and Cheers.

Do you need the code? Or do you already have the code, and just need to know how to input the code you have?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by mrchuckz: 3:09pm On Nov 25, 2011
audi a6 1999
v6
quattro
abt 180000 miles

issues:
my atf leaks while driving. the leaks is not from the sump.
a mech said its from seals between the propeller and the gear.
i ve kept topping the atf weekly with 4litres.
what can i do?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2011
Make: Audi
Model: A4
Year:1995
Reg/VIN No: WAUZZZ8DZSA120004
Fuel: Petrol
Spec: Euro
Gearbox: Automatic
Modifications: V6,2.6,110KW,ABC

Problem:
1) Car does not start at all (engine cranks, but doesn't fire).

Tried changing the ECU before with no success. Tested different ECU with different results, one of the ECU allowed current into the engine but cut current to the fuel pump, the other was vis versa.

What could be the problem ? would appreciate your good response.
Thank you.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by splendore(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2011
Thanks a lot Siena for this thread, it is really an encouragement to few of us that are Audi fans. We are constantly discouraged from using Audi models just because our mechanics are dull in learning. With this thread i believe lots of people will give it a try and i bet they will never regret it. Your thread is simply great!

This is the configuration of my audi

Model:A4
Engine size:1.8 l I4 20v
Transmission type: 4 speed Automatic
Model year:1997
Drive configuration: Front wheel Drive.

1a. I  notice that the engine seem to slow down a bit when i am using the AC, as  a result the car does not seem to perform optimally when the AC is on. Due you think it is a normal thing with this type of audi? I have previously used Audi A6 2000 model and i didn't notice such thing.
1b.Actually ,i changed the compressor when i bought the car earlier in the year (May 5) because the former one was bad,i have refilled the gas about three times since then because of leakage which  technicians cannot detect. So now they are advising me to replace the compressor again or i will keep refilling the gas every three months.
2.Secondly, the ABS  and Park lights are constantly on as soon as the starts moving. It actually started showing because i didn't change a damaged brake pad on time. It has been months since i changed the brake pads,the lights are still showing on the dash board.
Apart from from these the ride is superb!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by iKoksi(m): 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2011
Siena, many thanks for your prompt reply.
A/C: have had the system rechecked, removed parts of the piping to find debris inside, av attached a photo from a filter on the HP side pipe. i presume this will indicate a complete Compressor damage. the Refrigerant they use here is R134a. Have ordered for a 2nd hand Comp/Condenser from Lagos, shd arrive here Monday, will fix it and see wat'll happen.

25) PRNDS all illuminate intermittently whilst in "grin". Yes you are very correct, i do stop and restart the car and it clears. But i see now i'v got more problems in my hands than i expected. i do not have the scanner, wil go get the car scanned and give you feedback.

14/06) Check engine light illuminated: yes i really believe there's misfire. on idle, 'N' or in 'P' mode, the engine will rev up/down on it own.

Oil: as per the owner's manual, recommended Engine oil are SAE 0W-30, SAEv5W-30 or SAE 5W-40, the closest i can get here is 0W-40 (Mobile 1), will that be a problem? also please wat's the recommended Transmission Oil? (can't find in manual)

Its a pity i'm yet to find an autoshop that'll solve this puzzle in Abuja. meanwhile please can we arrange to get me a diagnostic scanner. please contact with imenkweini@gmail.com.
Many thanks Sir

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2011
mrchuckz:

audi a6 1999
v6
quattro
abt 180000 miles

issues:
what can i do?

Just to clarify - your mechanic says the leak is between the transmission and the propshaft? Is your car auto or manual?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by foal: 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2011
@Sienna,
I've keenly followed your threads and I'm impressed by your knowledge & enthusiasm to help others regarding auto affairs.
Got an audi 80, 2.6l, V6, automatic gear, ABC engine, 1994 model.
Initially I could engage the overdrive, I mean step down fully with prompt & effective response but now it appears I'm just revving without the usual response. By the way, what is the sport button by the gear really for? Lastly the ABS appears to be faulty as i used to feel the car vibrate slightly when I step on the breaks at top seed but not anymore.
Thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by uhuns: 4:28pm On Nov 25, 2011
@siena

i say
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 2dmax(m): 5:25pm On Nov 25, 2011
*singing*, i will neva let u go, unless you bless me!! smiley
Sienna, ur knowledge is indepth o! Pls create time for my small request pls!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2011
I'll be back. Just sorting out some stuff, I haven't forgotten you guys.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Trac: 5:39pm On Nov 25, 2011
I was actually going to start a thread of this nature but I guess I was beaten to it.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by mrchuckz: 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2011
Quote from: mrchuckz on Today at 03:09:46 PM
audi a6 1999
v6
quattro
abt 180000 miles

issues:
what can i do?

Just to clarify - your mechanic says the leak is between the transmission and the propshaft? Is your car auto or manual?

automatic transmission
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by atura: 12:04am On Nov 26, 2011
siena, thank you very much for your response. the model year of the A4 is 1998, 2.8l engine 30v quattro. just want to know if there is still power left in that engine after covering over 191000km
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 26, 2011
atura:

siena, thank you very much for your response. the model year of the A4  is 1998, 2.8l engine 30v quattro. just want to know if  there is still power left in that engine after covering over 191000km

I previously owned a '96 A4 2,6 V6 12V quattro, and it covered 220,000 miles (356,400 kilometres) without any issues, so you'll be fine.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 26, 2011
mrchuckz:

Quote from: mrchuckz on Today at 03:09:46 PM
audi a6 1999
v6
quattro
abt 180000 miles

issues:
what can i do?

automatic transmission

One possibility:

a) Worn rear output flange seal.

Not a big job to replace. But it's worth noting Audi modified the output flange, and the seal to match. So you may find a new seal might not fit your current output flange shaft. The only way to find out is to strip it down, and try matching the seal to a new one.

I have attached an image of the Audi A4 2,8 quattro auto transmission rear output flange seal. The item numbered 31 is the part you need. Replacement time is approx. 45 minutes.

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 26, 2011
Bethor:

Model: A4
Year:1995
Reg/VIN No: WAUZZZ8DZSA120004
Modifications: V6,2.6,110KW,ABC

Problem:
1) Car does not start at all (engine cranks, but doesn't fire).

Tried changing the ECU before with no success. Tested different ECU with different results, one of the ECU allowed current into the engine but cut current to the fuel pump, the other was vis versa.

What could be the problem ? would appreciate your good response.
Thank you.

Audi A4 B5, 2,6 V6 12V, engine code ABC, 150 bhp.

Engine cranks, but does not fire. No voltage to fuel pump, and most likely no feed to the coil packs. The 2,6 V6 has 3 coil packs, each controlling 2 cylinders.

Likely causes:

a) Faulty engine speed sensor.
b) Faulty CPS (crank position sensor).
c) Faulty POS (power output stage).
d) Faulty Hall sender.

Recommendation: Scan system. Crank the engine, and see if the rev counter needle deflects. If not, renew the crank sensor.

The crank sensor lets the ECU know the engine is turning. This will send a voltage to the fuel pump and coil packs. It will also trigger the injectors. If the crank position sensor is dead, you won't get fuel or ignition (spark). The 2,6 / 2,8 V6 12V engines use Hitachi sensors, as opposed to Bosch on 30V models. The crank sensor is located betwen the lower engine and transmission (joining point) on the driver's side, accessible in the engine bay, or from beneath the car.

The engine speed sensor is similar to the CPS, and in the same area.

POS is located on the bulkhead at rear of engine. It's a brown box, with connectors each end.

The Hall sender is located at the back of the cylinder head (driver's side). Check for oil contamination. Held by two 10mm bolts, remove, clean and replace.

Most likely culprit? Crank position sensor.

Pictures attached.

1) Crank position sensor and engine speed sensor (numbers 14 and 15).
2) Hall sender and power output stage (numbers 1 and 21).

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by atura: 2:38am On Nov 26, 2011
Thank you so much siena, you are a top class. i wil go for it. your advice on passat two years ago did not fail me so i wil take your word on this A4 too. thank you.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 26, 2011
@ Bethor: My apologies, I was banned due to my response, I've been un-banned, but my post has not been restored.  sad
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by onokha: 10:06am On Nov 26, 2011
@siena, you are doing a good job to NLders, pls` keep it up and God bless.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 26, 2011
Siena u're a great guy. i haven,t seen too many people like you around these parts lately it'ss hard to believe u actually niigerian
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by lomaxbien(m): 12:20pm On Nov 26, 2011
@SIENNA
im not an audi or VW fan
but i had to drop by to show my appreciation for your contribution to nairaland.
may God continue to bless you and your family.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 26, 2011
Thanks guys, your kind words are really appreciated.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:24pm On Nov 26, 2011
@siena i want to thank u for al ur good responses so far. i still want to remind u of the audi 80 i complained to u about. thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 26, 2011
tiniyata:

audi
dont know engine size
manual, 4 speed
199-
dunno spec
front wheel

my moms audi 80 do jerk at speed 70km/h and above then stops even on the highway and most times the cadburretor wont supply fuel, so u will have to add little fuel to the cadburretor. i took it to the mechanic after servicing the cadburretor myself and the mechanic said there's no problem with the cadburretor, that it should be the fuel pump.the car is still very clean but it can no longer go a straight 1km without it jerking and stopping, and this whole mess started lately. what do i do?

secondly: the car wont start, and when it starts, it wont off. I tried fixin that myself too, and it worked but at times it wont even start at all. so what do u think is the problem?

Thanks

Let's get one aspect clear - is this car carburettor, or single-point injection? The year would tell me, as would engine size[i].[/i]..

Going on the assumption it's a carburettor engine (or one that has been converted from single-point injection).

1) Fuel starvation: Most common causes:

a) Dirty or clogged fuel filter.
b) Faulty carburettor (incorrectly set float in bowl).
c) Faulty fuel pump.

The fuel filter is obviously the easiest, most cost-effective item to check. The filter will be a plastic, in-line item, on the driver's side (spark-plug area) of the engine. Check the colour. It should be a clear plastic, if it looks brown / dark, replace and test car at motorway speeds.

The carburettor is more complex. The float serves the same purpose as the float in your toilet cistern - it regulates the fuel level. If the float is set wrong, it will cut off the fuel supply to the bowl early. This may be fine for city driving, but no good for highway speeds, the engine will use the fuel in the bowl quicker than it's replenished. This will cause jerking, rough running and it will eventually die.

Fuel pump is the most likely culprit. Again, based on a carburettor engine, it's a mechanical unit, (low-pressure electric for single-point injection) driven by the intermediate shaft in the engine block. It's held on the lower block (driver's side) by two 13mm nuts. A split diaphragm within the pump will cause poor fuel delivery at high rpm, resulting in fuel starvation. Cheap to buy, remember to replace the gasket between the pump and block if renewing.

Two aspect confuse me here - you state it's a 4-speed manual. All Audi 80 B3/B4 ('87 - '95) are 5-speed. The only 4-speeds are auto. Please clarify in your next post. Then there's this:

"the car wont start, and when it starts, it wont off. I tried fixin that myself too, and it worked but at times it wont even start at all." Do you mean it won't switch off when it does start? If yes, how do you manage to kill the engine?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 26, 2011
splendore:

Thanks a lot Siena for this thread, it is really an encouragement to few of us that are Audi fans. We are constantly discouraged from using Audi models just because our mechanics are dull in learning. With this thread i believe lots of people will give it a try and i bet they will never regret it. Your thread is simply great!

This is the configuration of my audi

Model:A4
Engine size:1.8 l I4 20v
Transmission type: 4 speed Automatic
Model year:1997
Drive configuration: Front wheel Drive.

1a. I  notice that the engine seem to slow down a bit when i am using the AC, as  a result the car does not seem to perform optimally when the AC is on. Due you think it is a normal thing with this type of audi? I have previously used Audi A6 2000 model and i didn't notice such thing.
1b.Actually ,i changed the compressor when i bought the car earlier in the year (May 5) because the former one was bad,i have refilled the gas about three times since then because of leakage which  technicians cannot detect. So now they are advising me to replace the compressor again or i will keep refilling the gas every three months.
2.Secondly, the ABS  and Park lights are constantly on as soon as the starts moving. It actually started showing because i didn't change a damaged brake pad on time. It has been months since i changed the brake pads,the lights are still showing on the dash board.
Apart from from these the ride is superb!

Audi A4 B5 auto, 1,781cc I4 DOHC 20V, 125 bhp.

Please confirm the engine rpm drops when aircon is switched on at idle. Does this affect the way the car drives? Because the aircon compressor cuts out at WOT (wide-open throttle) which is normal. Did this issue of below par performance with the aircon on start after the compressor was replaced? If yes, have the compressor belt removed, and test performance, then post your findings here.

Did your constant gas leak occur with the old compressor? You aircon guys should be able to detect the leak. When the system is charged with R134-A, PAG oil is added, with a yellow dye that shows up under UV (ultra violet) light. Even with the Unclad eye, a leak will leave a greeny-yellow residue.

Most common sources of leaks:

a) Unions / pipe joins to condenser, compressor, expansion valve (in scuttle / battery area).
b) Condenser core.
c) High/low pressure valves.
d) Compressor casing.
e) Evaporator (behind dash) but very rare.

The aluminium pipes run along the inner wing (passenger side) into the scuttle (battery) area. The two pipes run under the brake servo and the battery tray. The joins are screwed unions, and if water sits in the scuttle area, due to blocked drains, they can oxidise, and leak.

The evaporator is the most likely culprit, or the receiver drier. The receiver drier is an integral part of the condenser, and can't be renewed separate assembly.

Your ABS and brake pad warning,

Brake pad warning, likely causes:

a) Damaged pad wear sensor connectors / wires.
b) New pads fitted don't have pad wear sensors.

It's common for the pad wear warning connectors to get damaged. These are often damaged by the inner rim rubbing against them, cutting through. They are simple, just two wires to the pads wear indicators, forming a loop. Once this loop is broken (as in when the pads wear low enough to break the loop) the light illuminates. If the wires are damaged, repair them, very easy. Or if the new pads don't have wear indicators, simply bridge the wires coming from the car (wheel arch) to replicate new pads.

ABS warnings are normally triggered by:

a) Damaged sensors.
b) broken coaxial leads.
c) Rusty rotors on rear discs.
d) Rusty / damaged teeth on front outer CV joints.
e) Faulty combined ABS hydraulic modulator and control unit (in engine bay, driver's side front).

A scan will identify which wheel is not being read by ECU. It won't always specify if it's a sensor fault, but it will at least let you know which wheel is affected.

2 Likes

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by foal: 3:54pm On Nov 26, 2011
@Siena, still awaiting your response.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 5:04am On Nov 27, 2011
Model: A6
Year:2001
Reg/VIN No:

Problem:
1. Whenever I select a gear, the car jerks forward before entering that gear.
What could be the problem ?I would appreciate your good response.
Thank you.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 27, 2011
8ightball:

Model: A6
Year:2001
Reg/VIN No:

Problem:
1. Whenever I select a gear, the car jerks forward before entering that gear.
What could be the problem ?I would appreciate your good response.
Thank you.

Car jerks before selected gear engages.  Possible causes:

a) Fluid level low.
b) Fluid dirty.
c) Filter clogged.

You don't state if your car is quattro or FWD, and give engine size. Your transmission could be Multitronic or Tiptronic. And also, is the gear change indicator on the dash (PRNDS) all illuminated in red? Or just the selected gear?

The first thing to do is check the fluid level. The transmission holds up to 9 litres. As it's unlikely yours has had a service, I would do a complete drain and refill. The oil pan will need to be removed, and thoroughly cleaned. It is essential the oil pan gasket, the filter and O-ring are replaced.

It's a very involved process to describe, I've done several, but still not an easy process to describe to someone else! Take a look at this link - the car in question is an Audi A8, but the procedure is the same as your A6:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 2dmax(m): 11:02am On Nov 27, 2011
Dear Sienna
Still diligently awaiting your response. But if for any reasons that i maynot get an answer from you, do send me a mail to maxndianaefo@yahoo.com.
I would understand and still appreciate your person. U are one of a kind, sir.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 27, 2011
2dmax:

Dear Sienna
Still diligently awaiting your response. But if for any reasons that i maynot get an answer from you, do send me a mail to maxndianaefo@yahoo.com.
I would understand and still appreciate your person. U are one of a kind, sir.

Sorry bro, I wasn't ignoring you. What was your query? I must have missed it.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by sultaan(m): 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2011
Siena:

Car jerks before selected gear engages. Possible causes:

a) Fluid level low.
b) Fluid dirty.
c) Filter clogged.

You don't state if your car is quattro or FWD, and give engine size. Your transmission could be Multitronic or Tiptronic. And also, is the gear change indicator on the dash (PRNDS) all illuminated in red? Or just the selected gear?

The first thing to do is check the fluid level. The transmission holds up to 9 litres. As it's unlikely yours has had a service, I would do a complete drain and refill. The oil pan will need to be removed, and thoroughly cleaned. It is essential the oil pan gasket, the filter and O-ring are replaced.

It's a very involved process to describe, I've done several, but still not an easy process to describe to someone else! Take a look at this link - the car in question is an Audi A8, but the procedure is the same as your A6:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

If it also jerks when you accelerate or when you speed up , you should also check you mounts(mechs call it engine seat/rubber)
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by kelecchi: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2011
I drive an audi 90. V6 injector engine. I think its 1994. Problem is when the car is cold, it starts but won't keep running unless u keep firing the accelerator. One mechanic says it is a problem with the airflow meter. But I look up to you @ siena

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.