Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,268 members, 7,807,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (209726 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by blackwhale: 10:54pm On Dec 12, 2011
Thanks Siena. I'll be with the mechanic Tues/Wed. Will get all the codes from him on scan (he has the scanner).
For loss of steering controls, I mean the Cruise controls, horn and radio volume/search buttons. The red illuminations under these buttons will be off too.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 13, 2011
@Siena

I really need your help. I just bought a 2005 Volkswagen Passat 2.8. V6 engine few weeks ago. I just discovered that the car is not running/starting. I called a mechanic to look at the problem and after he checked the car, he told me I need to replace the engine completely because the engine has blown cylinders.

I went for another mechanic and the second mechanic checked the car and told me the engine was good and the car only need new timing belt, water pump, pulley and other kits that come with timing belt.

My question to you sir is, should I beleive the first mechanic or the second mechanic? The second mechanic was adamant that the engine is fine. He assured me that the car should be fine after replacing the timing belt with other kits that come with it. What should I do now?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
payless:

@Siena

I really need your help. I just bought a 2005 Volkswagen Passat 2.8. V6 engine few weeks ago. I just discovered that the car is not running/starting. I called a mechanic to look at the problem and after he checked the car, he told me I need to replace the engine completely because the engine has blown cylinders.

I went for another mechanic and the second mechanic checked the car and told me the engine was good and the car only need new timing belt, water pump, pulley and other kits that come with timing belt.

My question to you sir is, should I beleive the first mechanic or the second mechanic? The second mechanic was adamant that the engine is fine. He assured me that the car should be fine after replacing the timing belt with other kits that come with it. What should I do now?

First of all, did the car simply fail to start? Or did it stop whilst in motion, and fail to restart? When you try starting the car now, does the engine turn over or simply remain silent?

If it stopped in motion, was there any sort of noise before it died?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 13, 2011
The car failed to start. It stopped in motion. The two mechanics said it turned over when they checked it.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^^ So before it stopped in service, was there any sort of noise? And when you tried to restart the engine, did it sound any different?

I'm just trying to get more of a picture here.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
There was noise when it happened. The sound was like click click click. But, it is turning over fine.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^^ So the engine made a clicking noise, before or after it stopped? At any point, did the engine fail to turn over freely, then became free with persistent attempts on your part to start the it?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 13, 2011
The engine never failed to turn over at any point. It turns over freely.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 13, 2011
But there was noise when it happened?

payless:

There was noise when it happened. The sound was like click click click. But, it is turning over fine.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 13, 2011
Yes, there was noise when it happened.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
payless:

Yes, there was noise when it happened.

Bro, I don't want to come across as a tool. I'm asking these questions because, unlike electrical issues, mechanical ones are hard to diagnose remotely, unless as much information as possible is given.

I really need to to describe in greater detail what happened. If I hadn't persisted, you wouldn't have told me the car was driving when it stopped. You merely gave the impression it was simply a non-start issue. I need to know EXACTLY how things happened - how the car was driving prior to stopping, what sort of noises you heard, how it sounded when you tried to restart etc.

I kind of feel I'm being a nuisance, dragging info out of you, that you should be giving freely.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 13, 2011
This is all the information I have right now. I don't know how to really describe the whole thing.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by blackwhale: 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2011
As you asked, Scan done today had the following read outs:
Engine diagnostics
16502 engine coolant temp sensors (G62) signal  too high P0118-35-00
16684 random multiple cylinder misfire P0300-35-10th intermittent
16687 cylinder 3 p0303-35-10 misfire detected
16690 cylinder 6 P0306-35-10 misfire intermittent

Transmission diagnostics diagnostics
18158 supply voltage too low.
09026 no data.

Airbags diagnostics
01299 (J533)
45317 no data
08357 no data
00532 supply voltage B+

Instrument cluster diagnostics
0079 outside air temp sensors (G17)
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 14, 2011
blackwhale:

As you asked, Scan done today had the following read outs:
Engine diagnostics
16502 engine coolant temp sensors (G62) signal  too high P0118-35-00
16684 random multiple cylinder misfire P0300-35-10th intermittent
16687 cylinder 3 p0303-35-10 misfire detected
16690 cylinder 6 P0306-35-10 misfire intermittent

Transmission diagnostics diagnostics
18158 supply voltage too low.
09026 no data.

Airbags diagnostics
01299 (J533)
45317 no data
08357 no data
00532 supply voltage B+

Instrument cluster diagnostics
0079 outside air temp sensors (G17)

Before proceeding further, we need to establish where the water is entering your car from, soaking the cront carpets.

Is the battery area dry?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by meexteriox(m): 7:10am On Dec 15, 2011
Siena:

Please don't sell your car as scrap!

I need a bit more detail - engine size. ECU faults are rare.

Power loss in motion, EPC (Electronic Performance Control) light came on, in conjunction with the CEL (Check Engine Light). Most common causes:

a) Faulty crank position / engine rpm sender.
b) Faulty camshaft position sender.
c) ECU power supply interrupted.

1) The crank sender gives information to the ECU upon start-up. It also tells the ECU the crankshaft angle (top-dead centre). This information is used for fuel injection phasing. Once the engine is running, the crank sender only has to do correction. If it fails whilst the engine is running, the EPC light will come on, the ECU map switches to a back-up system (limp-home mode) and of course, the engine will run at reduced power. Very rarely will it cause a stall, though if you turn the engine off, it won't restart. Or if it does (partial failure) the check engine light will illuminate, together with the EPC warning.

2) A faulty camshaft position sender will cause similar issues. Absolute failure will now allow restart of the engine. It will limit engine speed to approximately 4,000 rpm, as correction to injection rate and spark angle will not take place at higher rpm.

3) The ECU has two 12V supplies. A permanent one (terminal 30) and a switched one (terminal 15). The switched one only gives 12V with the ignition on, and is fused. If this is missing, the car will not run. Another sure ECU killer is water. The VW Bora / Jetta ECU lives in the scuttle area, with the wiper motor. If the water drains either side of the scuttle area are blocked, it will fill with rain / car wash water, to the level of the multi-plug, which is NOT waterproof.

I'll need more detail:

01) Engine size.
02) Fault code that was read during OBD scan.
03) Part number of both ECU's - original and replacement.

We'll proceed from there.

Sorry bro, i've not been around to give you specific details like you requested for.
1) Engine size - 1.8
2)Fault code - Can't really provide that now
3)ECU Number - Original-06A 906 032 FR
Replacement - 06A 906 032 FR

Hope this helps, i appreciate your response truly.

NB: I would try n get the fault code though from the auto engineer (hope he would avail me).
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by iKoksi(m): 10:38am On Dec 15, 2011
Siena:

And come Monday, all the items will be sent to Ikoksi by DHL Express. I'll keep updates coming, and obviously for security reasons, will update Ikoksi tracking details via email.

All parts ready to ship via DHL Express:

Hello Siena can confirm receipt of shipment and contents intact, just regret excluding the Bently Repair Manual. I do not have the reqd tools to F125 replacement as such i'll have to work with a mechanic later today.

*what my car does now (past 2 days) is that the PRNDS illumination only and ALWAYS comes on once i shift to 'R', with a large jerk. It doesn't come on 'D'. I don't understand this.

Very many thanks Mr Siena for all your efforts.
God Bless
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
iKoksi:

Hello Siena can confirm receipt of shipment and contents intact, just regret excluding the Bently Repair Manual. I do not have the reqd tools to F125 replacement as such i'll have to work with a mechanic later today.

*what my car does now (past 2 days) is that the PRNDS illumination only and ALWAYS comes on once i shift to 'R', with a large jerk. It doesn't come on 'D'. I don't understand this.

Very many thanks Mr Siena for all your efforts.
God Bless

The F125 switch (Multi Function Switch) will cause erratic gearshifts, especially when a gear is engaged from standstill. It may appear normal once on the move.

The replacement procedure is pretty much explained in the link below, and the tools required are listed. The procedure is for an Audi A8 D2 4,2 V8 Quattro, but the procedure is the same for your A4 B6 3,0 V6 Quattro. If you get stuck, just holla, and I'll do my best to assist you remotely.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/f125switchreplace.html
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Tsan(m): 8:52pm On Dec 17, 2011
Hi Siena,

Top of the day to you. First I must commend you on the good work you are doing here. God Bless You always.
I am just about to bring into Nigeria a 2009 Q7 Premium Plus and  was hoping that you might be able to give me some pointers on
what to look out for in terms of maintenance and the usual issuer peculiar to the car.

Here is a link to the car its self. It should be in Nigeria by late January.

http://www.ocautohaus.com/detail-2009-audi-q7-quattro_4dr_3_6l_premium-used-7718070.html

God bless and hope the baby is doing good.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by kennykoll: 2:33pm On Dec 19, 2011
I have this concern about my VW Golf IV, once you start the engine the ABS and arm brake icon lights comes and will not go off until the engine is switched off. kindly advise what could be wrong here. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Rugga: 5:08pm On Dec 19, 2011
Hello Siena,
This is a wonderful thread for we the German machine peopl, expecially the Audi fans, just ordered a 2003 A4, but with some issuses, how do i get a scanner to assist in future issues. hope when the car comes in. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2011
Tsan:

Hi Siena,

Top of the day to you. First I must commend you on the good work you are doing here. God Bless You always.
I am just about to bring into Nigeria a 2009 Q7 Premium Plus and  was hoping that you might be able to give me some pointers on
what to look out for in terms of maintenance and the usual issuer peculiar to the car.

Here is a link to the car its self. It should be in Nigeria by late January.

http://www.ocautohaus.com/detail-2009-audi-q7-quattro_4dr_3_6l_premium-used-7718070.html

God bless and hope the baby is doing good.

Thanks bro, baby Sienna's doing great, thanks. smiley

The 3,6 VR6 24V is an enlarged version of the Volkswagen Golf 3,2 VR6. Very strong bottom end, to the point there are turbocharger kits available for them, and they handle the extra power extremely well. The engine is pretty much bomb proof. In terms of issues, there aren't any obvious ones. The camshafts are chain-driven, so a full service history is essential, and proof that good quality fully synthetic oil has been used.

The timing chain needs constant lubrication from clean oil, if oil changes intervals are ignored, the chain will have partially-seized links. This will cause it to stretch. If it gets stretched, there will be a distinct rattle from the top of the engine at idle, and on overrun. It will also cause oil pump drive issues (the oil pump is driven by the same chain). Replacement is a labour intensive procedure, and not a roadside job.

The Q7 is a heavy car, and can munch front suspension arm bushes. It should drive straight, and remain so even under heavy braking. If it pulls to one side, the front lower suspension arm bushes are worn. Bushes are not available as separate items, so complete arms would be needed. I always scan late model cars before making an offer, you've obviously already bought yours, so that's a moot point.

Service will be on Audi's Longlife Service as per the DIS (Driver Information Display). As long as you keep to the prescribed service intervals, you'll be fine. As I stated earlier, make sure the Service Booklet is fully stamped, and up to date. Any gaps should be treated with caution. Given the vehicle's age, I can't imagine servicing would have been neglected. Make sure your instruction manual is present, and you have at least 3 keys.

Best of luck with your new purchase, keep us posted when she arrives!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
Rugga:

Hello Siena,
This is a wonderful thread for we the German machine peopl, expecially the Audi fans, just ordered a 2003 A4, but with some issuses, how do i get a scanner to assist in future issues. hope when the car comes in. Thanks

Hi!

Glad you find this thread helpful, thanks.

What engine does your Audi A4 B6 have? Is it auto and quattro?

As per scanning, the best for Audi and Volkswagen is VAGCOM (laptop-based) or a VAG-based handheld. If you need any details with regards to cost and availability, feel free to shoot me an email
siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ChiChi77: 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2011
Mr Siena,

I have a transmission question, If u can kindly help me answer -  pls send me your general email address by posting it here, the one listed here in the forum under "know your dealer" is not going through.

Thanks sir. Much appreciated!  grin
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
Chi_Chi77:

Mr Siena,

I have a transmission question, If u can kindly help me answer -  pls send me your general email address by posting it here, the one listed here in the forum under "know your dealer" is not going through.

Thanks sir. Much appreciated!  grin

Sure - here it is:

siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ChiChi77: 11:57pm On Dec 19, 2011
Siena:

Sure - here it is:

siena_@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks, you have mail.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 20, 2011
Chi_Chi77:

Thanks, you have mail.

Reply sent, issues addressed.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by gogodaye(m): 7:07am On Dec 20, 2011
Good day, Sir, l'd earlier in the day forwarded the photograph of the Gamma radio in my Volkwagen Vento that has hibernated into SAFE mode. l'm also looking forward to your response to the issue lid raised about the procurement of both the Owner and service manuals. Thank you for your assistance. Cheers.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 20, 2011
gogodaye:

Good day, Sir, l'd earlier in the day forwarded the photograph of the Gamma radio in my Volkwagen Vento that has hibernated into SAFE mode. l'm also looking forward to your response to the issue lid raised about the procurement of both the Owner and service manuals. Thank you for your assistance. Cheers.

Bro, email responded to.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 20, 2011
gogodaye:

Good day, Sir, l'd earlier in the day forwarded the photograph of the Gamma radio in my Volkwagen Vento that has hibernated into SAFE mode.

Hi! This is the procedure to input the 4-digit security code into your Volkswagen Gamma unit, as yours is showing "SAFE" in the display, you need to leave the radio on for at least an hour, with the ignition on. This will bring your display to "1000".

1000 will appear in the display

Input the code number attached to the code card using the station buttons. Use button 1 to input the first digit of the code, button 2 the second etc etc.

then press either the search or the manual setting rocker switch for longer than 2 seconds. Then release the button. The radio should then switch on.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:14am On Dec 21, 2011
kennykoll:

I have this concern about my VW Golf IV, once you start the engine the ABS and arm brake icon lights comes and will not go off until the engine is switched off. kindly advise what could be wrong here. Thanks in anticipation.

ABS and handbrake warning illuminated constantly whilst engine is running. Most likely causes:

a) Faulty wheel ABS sensor, or broken coaxial wire.
b) Faulty ABS combined pump and control unit.

A faulty ABS sensor will not normally trigger the warning light initially. When the engine starts, it will go out. A faulty ABS sender is not detected till the car is in motion at speeds of 5 km/h and above. And in most cases, a faulty ABS sensor will only trigger the ABS warning (yellow).

The red handbrake warning lamp also monitors the hydraulic fluid level; it will also be triggered by a faulty ABS pump (hydraulic modulator). This is in the engine bay, close to the bulkhead (driver's side for LHD cars). Water ingress will damage the delicate circuitry. The internal pistons can also stick - this is normally caused by non-replacement of hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture. Over time, the water content gets too high, and the fluid boiling point is lowered. The water will cause internal corrosion in the ABS pump, and eventual failure.

I'm willing to wager this is where your fault lies, hence the trigger of both ABS and handbrake (yellow and red) warning lights. Hydraulic fluid is meant to be replaced ever 24 months.

A scan of the ABS system will reveal the stored faults. If possible, get the system scanned, and post the codes here.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by gogodaye(m): 9:34am On Dec 22, 2011
Good day, Sir. Thanks for the information just furnished. l shall endeavour to input same tenaciously as directed to get the radio out of its 'SAFE' hibernation mode over the weekend preferably on Saturday 24/12/11. [Its' sure would be my own 'boxing day'
bout and l know l'm going to be victorious]
l'll also wish to state that l'd also forwarded an email making some suggestions on the issues bordering on the manuals. l most humbly wish to appeal that you bend backwards a little to accommodate my requests as l'm not oblivious of the inconvenience this might occassion to you. Thank you once again.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 22, 2011
^^^ Email responded to. If you get stuck with your radio code input, give me a shout.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (57) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.