Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,910 members, 7,866,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:58 PM

As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) (35082 Views)

Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up / White Rice With Spicy Chicken Stew. Fresh Tomatoes Is Scarce Today So.... / How To Make Spicy Goat Meat Stew (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 9:12am On Jun 05
Due to the high cost of fresh and processed Tomatoes, most Restaurant operators, Mama put owners and most households now device a cheaper means to make Stew. Since we can not do without eating Stew.

They now use dry Pumpkin with dry fresh Tomatoes. It is usually in 60:40 ratio. That is, 60% is dry Pumpkin while 40% is dry Tomatoes. The Pumpkin is to increase the quantity of the Stew, while it maintain the original Tomatoes flavour, aroma, taste and color.

Pumpkin is a highly nutritional food. It is used to prepare varieties of meals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhwRrU-AW4g

4 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 9:14am On Jun 05
Pumpkin Stew

3 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 9:14am On Jun 05
Dry and fresh Pumpkin

2 Likes

Dry Tomatoes

1 Like

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 1:58pm On Jun 05

1 Like

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 2:41pm On Jun 07
The Tomatoes taste yummy

2 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Love800(m): 3:25pm On Jun 07
Is it the pumpkin leafs we are going to use?

2 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 6:41pm On Jun 10
Love800:
Is it the pumpkin leafs we are going to use?

No it's not. This particular pumpkin leaf looks different from Ugwu leaf

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Love800(m): 7:34pm On Jun 10
Jeez!
Am confused.
I thought ugu and pumpkin are the same thing!
LocalFARMERS:

No it's not. This particular pumpkin leaf looks different from Ugwu leaf

4 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 8:11pm On Jun 10
Love800:
Jeez!
Am confused.
I thought ugu and pumpkin are the same thing!

Don't be confused. There are more than one types of Pumpkin. Which Ugwu Pumpkin is one of them.

Below is a picture of the kind of Pumpkin we refered to as Ugwu.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Love800(m): 8:37pm On Jun 10
Okay.
But no too difference between dis one"s leaf and the first one leaf you showed me.
What is the difference when cooking dem?
LocalFARMERS:

Don't be confused. There are more than one types of Pumpkin. Which Ugwu Pumpkin is one of them.

Below is a picture of the kind of Pumpkin we refered to as Ugwu.
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by LocalFARMERS: 9:24am On Jun 11
Love800:
Okay.
But no too difference between dis one"s leaf and the first one leaf you showed me.
What is the difference when cooking dem?

You obviously didn't pay attention to the pictures. There difference is too obvious. It is like day and night. Ugwu leaf is smaller. The other pumpkin leaf is very big. Even their mode of preparing Soup is different.
.Ugwu leaf can be used to prepare Egusi Soup, Groundnut Soup and vegetables. While the other pumpkin is only used to Cook Groundnut Soup (I stand to be corrected) I have tasted both Ugwu leaf and the other leaf Soup.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by HeatSeeker(m): 9:49am On Jun 11
Nlfpmod please come and see o! shocked
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by meobizy(f): 10:35am On Jun 11
Na chimpanzee full Nairaland.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by virginboy1(m): 10:35am On Jun 11
I just hope one day people will not see lizard meat as an alternative for goat, chicken and cow meat since they are now expensive....

Well up north many has settled for grasshoppers already lipsrsealed

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by kuntash: 10:36am On Jun 11
hmmm.

this is part of the issue even though may appear innovative.

but politically, its the bane of our issues of NOT addressing the problems facing the masses. The politicians or the ruling class knows and understands this so well that the further they push the masses to the wall, the more the people look for ways to drill holes thru the wall to escape rather than confronting the issues facing them.

quite sad!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Sheuns(m): 10:36am On Jun 11
cheesy

See what bad economic policies is reducing the people to.

Tomatoes is supposed to be a cheap crop for making our daily meal, but here we are discussing alternatives to something thatโ€™s never been a problem to majority in making just stew and soups.

The only time I knew stew can be made without using tomatoes was when I was in Katsina and that itself is a different type of stew made from pumpkins.

Miyar kabewa

31 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by whytediamond(m): 10:36am On Jun 11
cheesy
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Curious345: 10:36am On Jun 11
Lol.
Nigeria is gradually drifting into the stone age

The news media is now taking us back to the days of homo erectus..

I even heard that a popular online CEO said " the fg shouldn't pay workers above โ‚ฆ100k"

I shudder

20 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by bigovo: 10:37am On Jun 11
amazing! I'll try this out
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by sunshineV(f): 10:38am On Jun 11
una own no pass food. e ya werey gan o
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Smartcitizen: 10:38am On Jun 11
This must be Yoruba people stew.

3 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Fuckyoumod: 10:39am On Jun 11
Una never see anything for this country.

You were warned about Tinubu

Una go soon dey eat grass and sand, Tinubu only wanted to be president.

A good and sensible president would have reversed a lot of his anti people policies. Because these policies failed and made things worse.

Especially fuel subsidy and floating of naira. But no, the man is just plain wicked and heartless.

Una go eat sand and grass tire!

14 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by cococandy(f): 10:39am On Jun 11
Interesting

2 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by doggedfighter(f): 10:39am On Jun 11
Our tummy is in trouble grin

Are those meat or what, bikonu ?

Many weird alternatives ๐Ÿ˜•

4 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by ogolemati: 10:40am On Jun 11
grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy hold on guys 3 more years to go for the first quarter.i told you guys that Satan was not happy when you survived change and next level .so for this finish level say to the demon possessed agberos that you will survive .oya say it

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Beautifulday: 10:40am On Jun 11
Imagine what we celebrate in this country. Please is the alternative to cheaper electricity?
Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by Threedoorsdown: 10:40am On Jun 11
Few years ago i was in the bus and people were complaining and lamenting about cost of food. A man made i statement i would never forget.

He said of the bag of rice becomes 150k tomorrow. Nigerians would still buy it and do nothing about it. Few years down the line food prices are now over 150% costlier than what it used to be instead of holding the govt responsible and staging protests, we have numerous videos of alternate stew making style circulating all around

Soon we would devise means to cook stew with mangoes and oranges. We are truly a conquered people and our politicians are the luckiest on earth. We just rant on SM, look for alternatives and move on

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by cococandy(f): 10:41am On Jun 11
doggedfighter:
Our tummy is in trouble grin

Many weird alternatives ๐Ÿ˜•

Pumpkin are quite delicious and healthy. I make soups out of them and just eat it like that. Very nutritious

6 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by NeckingNgulping(m): 10:42am On Jun 11
Fight your government that has made tomatoes unreachable and expensive. We are tired of settling for unpalatable alternative and confining ourselves within the walls of scarcity.

14 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by kereman1: 10:42am On Jun 11
Aside tomato stew and bamga stew, my brother forget am, I no dey experiment with my food.

6 Likes

Re: As tomatoes is expensive this is the cheapest way to Make delicious stew (Video) by doggedfighter(f): 10:42am On Jun 11
cococandy:

Pumpkin are quite delicious and healthy. I make soups out of them and just eat it like that. Very nutritious

You make them as stew ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Huge Monitor Lizard Killed For Pepper Soup (Photos) / 7 Finger Foods That Should Make It Into Nigerian Small Chops In 2017 / Wonders You Can Do With Noodles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.