Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,893 members, 7,866,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:51 PM

Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins (5250 Views)

50 Buses Seized, Members Attacked - Lagos Drivers Lament / Lagos Drivers Lament Extortion, Threaten To Boycott Roads / Ogun Street Opinion Poll. Peter Obi Defeats Tinubu, Atiku And Kwankwoso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by WaleBuraimoh: 6:42am On Jun 11
Commercial bus drivers plying the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway have raised the alarm over what they described as persistent threats posed by street urchins who disguised as tax collectors, otherwise known as “agberos,” at every bus stop along the expressway.

In separate interviews with our correspondent, the drivers lamented that the street urchins had compounded their daily struggles thereby making life difficult for them.

They described the urchins as extortionists who operate with aggressive tactics and a blatant disregard for human dignity.

A driver, Femi Yaya, who spoke with PUNCH Metro, said that apart from being subject to assault from the urchins, drivers were often forced to part with money through violence.

He said, “Every day, we, drivers, are confronted by the thugs demanding money and threatening us if their demands are not met. I have been harassed, beaten, and even robbed by these thugs.”

Alabi Awosile, another bus driver, also told our correspondent that the thugs demand money from every passenger they pick up at every bus stop.

He said, “They collect money per passenger we pick at every bus stop, and they do it aggressively.”

Another driver who simply identified himself as Augustine said the “agberos” had damaged his vehicle on several occasions.

“Most of the time, I always try to avoid them. One day, I drove off immediately after picking up passengers, and they destroyed my rear light.”

The Special Adviser on Media and Strategy to the Governor of Ogun State, Kayode Akinmade, in his reaction when our correspondent contacted him, said that every driver in the state was obligated to report any violence or misconduct from the thugs to the appropriate authorities. Akinmade noted that the government or its agencies couldn’t act without an incident report.

He said, “There has been no report made so far, and if there’s any, the agency will take it up from there. Everyone affected should make an official report; the state can’t act blindly.”

PUNCH Metro had in a special report revealed the existence of agberos issuing tickets of doubtful legality, which they compel commercial vehicle operators to purchase across the South-West region.

Their worst manifestation is in Lagos, the richest and most populous city in the region and Nigeria as a whole.

Factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers and others impede commerce, cause traffic jams, and often render the state’s otherwise robust traffic laws ineffective.

https://punchng.com/drivers-lament-extortion-assault-from-ogun-street-urchins/?amp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by helinues: 6:43am On Jun 11
Toh

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Nahunger(m): 7:47am On Jun 11
sad
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by eliwa47(m): 7:47am On Jun 11
Hgyyuuu
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by iCauseTrouble: 7:47am On Jun 11
sad
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by ogolemati: 7:47am On Jun 11
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin sorry oga driver but that's how they Hussle so as to buy data to come here and defend their chairman that built Lagos from sea. Tinubu really tried for those touts

84 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Inobeyourmate: 7:48am On Jun 11
That Ogun state is a terrible place with all those miscreants

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by ecomalchemistt(m): 7:48am On Jun 11
Too bad
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Maxymilliano(m): 7:48am On Jun 11
Lol ... Lagos - Abeokuta is not anyway different

Agberos everywhere

22 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Parydelegate: 7:49am On Jun 11
Actually, to be sincerely honest in my humble opinion, without being sentimental and of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, and without lies to the actual truth, with my clear open mind and clean heart, expressing what ever is embedded inside me for a long time which I didn't say because I was nervous. But today by gathering all the courage and motivation, I just want to say that I actually feel and think that government should look into this issue. Thank you! 🙏

2 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Brendaniel: 7:51am On Jun 11
When they have a governor like Eleyi and a president like Tinubu....

6 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by donbenie(m): 7:52am On Jun 11
This is one aspect Soludo has tried in dealing with in Anambra..
Fur.ck up and the boys with Pestle will pay you a visit..🚨

2 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by MrUchenna1(m): 7:52am On Jun 11
They have the support of the governor........

broad daylight thieves....................................

7 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by andy244: 7:52am On Jun 11
Urchins Republic.... If you know you know.

24 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Anguldi(m): 7:53am On Jun 11
Use of dissolved SARS, vawulence for choke shocked
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Sisqoman(m): 7:54am On Jun 11
Especially toolgate, joju and ifo
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by phemmie06(m): 7:55am On Jun 11
You have been incapacitated because oga at the top gave them the licence

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by jojothaiv(m): 7:55am On Jun 11
I'm not surprised one bit, no be my fatherland again.

From the governor down to most of the common man, there's nothing good to write home about.

9 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by FourQu: 8:03am On Jun 11
Agberos cry their wahala can never end cry

https://www.nairaland.com/8117580/reason-bateria-gave-us-political

They can be found even on nairaland too. No matter how hard they try to hide their foul stench always gives them away cry just like the person in the link above.

Deport all of them back to Osun immediately angry

2 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by nonhuman(m): 8:05am On Jun 11
H
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by nonhuman(m): 8:05am On Jun 11
Na them tinubu urchins

3 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by KatherineBooths: 8:07am On Jun 11
What if You Could Land Your Dream Job?

Imagine walking into a room full of top employers in Nigeria (or abroad). Amidst the sea of hopeful candidates, your CV shines bright, attracting attention and piquing interest.

With our CV writing services, that dream can become a reality. We tailor your CV to ensure it not only looks the part but truly showcases your potential and achievements.

Don't just take our word for it. Here's what Nuel C. from Lagos had to say:

"Before using the Paulwelj CV services, I was sending out CVs with little success. After the revamp, I had 5 interview invites in just one week!"

And Obeh G. from Kuwait says:
"Thank you for a job well done. Thank you, I really do appreciate. New opportunities have opened to me. Thank you again."

Why wait? Seize the opportunity and elevate your CV game. Our Whatsapp contact is in the flyer below. Chat us NOW!

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by Treasure17(m): 8:08am On Jun 11
Agberos have taken over our major roads. All thanks to Lagos state, the pioneer of agberonism.
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by 100millionGoal: 8:08am On Jun 11
WizardOfNG
Come educate your sophisticated urchins and thugs 😂

1 Like

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by SheikhMuniru(m): 8:08am On Jun 11
Lagos-Ibadan express way @Berger precisely while en routing Agege road, thugs at this bus stop are more than 500 assaulting drivers at night in the cause of ticketing collector and failure to collect ticket will result to damaging your vehicle, harassing, etc even with the help of Police officers

In Abeokuta at Asero in front of Egba High School under the big tree that is by the road side, thugs are there too harassing drivers claiming they are working for Ogun State government

Also at Kuto beside the bridge along Kobape-Sagamu Road, thugs are too much there too harassing motorists and drivers
Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:11am On Jun 11
ogolemati:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin sorry oga driver but that's how they Hussle so as to buy data to come here and defend their chairman that built Lagos from sea. Tinubu really tried for those touts
na from sea him build d Lagos?

I think say na from one wheelbarrow of sand him take start!
grin

6 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by ogolemati: 8:16am On Jun 11
MichaelSokoto:

na from sea him build d Lagos?

I think say na from one wheelbarrow of sand him take start!
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin na from the sea ooh.thats what he told his agbero gangs .

5 Likes

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by emmabest2000(m): 8:17am On Jun 11
Agbado urchins again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers Lament Extortion, Assault From Ogun Street Urchins by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:19am On Jun 11
ogolemati:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin na from the sea ooh.thats what he told his agbero gangs .
dat means Lagos is mami water property be dat!
grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anini The Law:the Regime Of An Armed Robber(story+photo)Updated!!! / EFCC Moves To Arrest Former Abia State Governor Theodore Orji / Thread For Igbos.......lets Show Our Cultures, Personalties And Achievements.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.