Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,071 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Igbo Dialects - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Dialects (39382 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:22am On Dec 03, 2011
My all time favourite; "kee ka eke si anya anwu" which is an Anambra colloquialim for "how are things turning out for you" and also "aga awanyelu gi ji" which also is a colloquialim for "what shall we do to make you feel better"
Re: Igbo Dialects by ezeagu(m): 12:53am On Dec 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

***Is Nsuka an actual group or just some name for an area?

I'm guessing Nsuka is a village group that was urbanised.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:22am On Dec 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

So, have we exhausted the number of lectal/dialectal representatives here on NL?

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka***
[some place in Enugu; Afam didn't specify]
Ikwere
Riverine/Ukwuani/Oguta/Oru
Idemili
Elai

***Is Nsuka an actual group or just some name for an area?

Most likely a group since they have their own dialect.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 6:41am On Dec 03, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Bia ada ide, you of all people should know that Anambra dont say "nri" as in food. And you call yourself ''ADA IDE". Do you even know what ada ide means ?

You're right, Anambra do not use "r".

You should not blame Ada Ide, Igbo Izugbe taught in schools tend to conflict with Anambra dialects.
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 7:29am On Dec 03, 2011
Ngiri wu aha ghu/ aha ghu wu ngiri(what is your name)
Ichoro iri ri ngala-ugbu/Ichoro iri ri ugbua/(d'you want to eat now)
Mepu ya otuiwhu (do it immediately)
Ala akwupula otele grin(alarm don blow)

Isiala-Mbano! cool
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2011
Alright. Expanding the list by One.

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
[some place in Enugu; Afam didn't specify]
Ikwere
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano

toshmann:

Isiala-Mbano!  cool
What's the difference between Isiala Mbano and the rest of Mbano?

ezeagu:

I'm guessing Nsuka is a village group that was urbanised.
If it's a village group then which clan did/does it belong to or are they among the many 'mini-clans'?

odumchi:

Most likely a group since they have their own dialect.
hm. Alright.

Where is Afam to help resolve this?

On another note, reading through these responses only leaves me with one question in particular; where did gini come from? In some way, I want to believe that it is an engineered word, but with words like "gunu" it seems clear that "gini" is an actual live cognate, but which people actually say it as their dialect?
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:54pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ last post, most Anambrarians use "gini",but my town which is an Idenmili town says "odi nni". Igbo language is so varied!!
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 2:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Chinenye
The dialect I wrote Is Nkanu.
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 4:10pm On Dec 03, 2011
@chinenyeN and ezeagu ur guess are wrong, nsuka is not just a village, town or l.g.a, u can call nsuka a group or clan if u choose to, it a sub of igbo group with igbo nsuka as there dialect, and it is the most widely spoken dialect in enugu state with 7 l.g.a speakin it. Like nsuka, igbo etiti, igbo eze north, igbo eze south,isi uzo, uzo uwani and udenu.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Idenmili where my humble self came from says; kedu ife na eme gi- what is wrong with you.

achoom ina kitaa- I need to go now.

kedu afa gi ?-whats your name ?

udene lie ozu gi(my uncles favourite curse)-may the vulture eat your corpse

ibili kam bili-live and let live.

ka ayi jee olu-lets go to work.

obi agbawaa mu-my heart is broken.

kedu ka osi gbasa gi-how does it concerns you.

kee mgbe iga elute-when will you arrive.

okaa omee-he who keeps his promises.

ife gi asogbugo mu-i love your way.

agboo-young woman

anam abia-i am coming.

Nwanne, do u guys in umuoji use 'gi' rather than 'yi' ?

even within idemili,there are variations,for example in typical idemili dialect, the saying: They are rejoicing, will be said as, fa na enwe anuri. But in Ogidi it will be, fa na ekpoli ufala,though these days Ogidi use more of the former than the later.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Dec 03, 2011
nedu210:

@chinenyeN and ezeagu your guess are wrong, nsuka is not just a village, town or l.g.a, u can call nsuka a group or clan if u choose to, it a sub of igbo group with igbo nsuka as there dialect, and it is the most widely spoken dialect in enugu state with 7 l.g.a speakin it. Like nsuka, igbo etiti, igbo eze north, igbo eze south,isi uzo, uzo uwani and udenu.

I'm from the bolded part of Enugu. How similar is the Nkanu dialect to that of Nsukka?
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 6:33pm On Dec 03, 2011
the main nkanu dialect is diferent from the main nsukka dialect, but there are similarity between border towns in the two zones were nkanu and nsukka are
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:15pm On Dec 03, 2011
Pazienza nwanne, Igbo language is indeed very varied. Do you know that in my own town Umuoji,the northern part of it speaks a slightly different dialect from the southern part of it. . . Mystery!!
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 7:50pm On Dec 03, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Pazienza nwanne, Igbo language is indeed very varied. Do you know that in my own town Umuoji,the northern part of it speaks a slightly different dialect from the southern part of it. . . Mystery!!

I would not be suprised about that,umuoji is probably the largest town in Idemili.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2011
Okay, so gini is prominent among Anambra groups. Thank you, Nri Priest.

@Afam thank you. I'll edit the list to reflect that.

@nedu, so what you're saying is that there is such thing as the "Nsuka Clan", encompassing 7 LGA's in Enugu. Am I understanding correctly?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
The list so far:

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
@chinenyeN that is what am sayin and that is what it is. in enugu u hardly see sombody especialy frm igbo etiti and igbo eze tell u they ar frm dia, they only tell u nsukka and we call all of them nsukka not mindin there l.g.a
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 9:28pm On Dec 03, 2011
Add this to the list.

Ohafia:

What's your name?
ani wu efa gi?

Do you want to eat now?
Ichò iri ife ugbua?

How are you?
Imere g'ole?
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 9:29pm On Dec 03, 2011
Nedu what LGAs in Enugu are Wawa?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2011
Alright, thank you, Nedu.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 9:37pm On Dec 03, 2011
Updated List

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Ohafia

Any more representatives?
Re: Igbo Dialects by Abagworo(m): 11:55pm On Dec 03, 2011
"Gini" is core Isuama and largely central Igbo. Every other dialect has there variation of it from "kini" to "nini" to "ngiri" etc.

Writing of Igbo in dialects could make things quite difficult because of the tonal nature of the language.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:37am On Dec 04, 2011
PAZIENZA, rejoicing in Umuoji dialect is "Ngoli" and am sure you know that its common in Idenmili.
You may be right about Umuoji being the biggest town but I always thought Nkpor was even bigger than Onicha until the later STOLE all their lands!!
MANA,ONICHA ETEKA BU MAKA OGIDI!! OGIDI INWELE!!
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:42am On Dec 04, 2011
Ututu:

Do you want to eat now?
ibia ri nri ugbua?

What is your name?
Iza ngen?

How are you?
Imere aà?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 1:58am On Dec 04, 2011
Updated List

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Ohafia
Ututu***

***Who are the Ututu? From what you posted Odumchi, they seem eastern Igbo/Cross Rivers
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 2:24am On Dec 04, 2011
The Ututu are a people in Arochukwu LGA, Abia State. You're also right, they are Eastern Igbo.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 2:57am On Dec 04, 2011
I figured as much.
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 4:17am On Dec 04, 2011
@chinenyeN
Isiala and ehime are two local govt from the old mbano LGA. Both speak similarly but I think ehime has some similarities with mbaise.

Asi m ka m kaara gi ete eshi atuwa-atuwa eluwe-eluwe ngaa grin
Mbaise for I wanted to tell you how they(boko haram) are dropping bombs here grin
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 5:04am On Dec 04, 2011
nedu210:

@chinenyeN that is what am sayin and that is what it is. in enugu u hardly see sombody especialy frm igbo etiti and igbo eze tell u they ar frm dia, they only tell u nsukka and we call all of them nsukka not mindin there l.g.a

This is the problem I used to have with my friends when I didn't understand. If one asked them where they were from, they'd say Nsukka and would hardly be specific whereas they may be from Igbo eze.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 5:06am On Dec 04, 2011
It's so sad I don't even know the dialect I speak. I know so many variations I often mix them up. sad
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 5:25am On Dec 04, 2011
odumchi:

Nedu what LGAs in Enugu are Wawa?

There's nothing like Wawa; it's a way some Enugu people say No (mba) so Anambra people started calling them Ndi Wawa.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 5:54am On Dec 04, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's so sad I don't even know the dialect I speak. I know so many variations I often mix them up. sad
Seriously? How do you not know your own dialect?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Did Olori Wuraola Confirm The Crash Of Her Marriage With This? / Buhari Oloto Is Dead / History Of Families In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.