Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

How To Prepare Masa? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Masa? (24428 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / Masa / How To Prepare Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Masa? by ayeesha: 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2007
hi yàll

i will like to know how to prepare masa.

i is the one meal i miss so much in the north cry

can someone pls help me with the recipe?

my mounth is watering already.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by ayeesha: 5:09pm On Sep 26, 2007
nobody knows how to prepare MASA
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by omoge(f): 12:49am On Sep 27, 2007
eyaa, i used to make it way back with my yarinya's friend. sorry i have forgotten how to make it now. but it's a lot of activities in the process of fermenting the corn.
also, unless you are in the North, the clay to fry the Masa on is hard to get. Well, I'm sure one day I will remember.

I'm hungry of it too, lol with that sour mia (soup) grin or with just plain sugar/yaji.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by ayeesha: 4:26pm On Sep 27, 2007
i learnt one can also use non stick pots to make them.

please try and remember now cry
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2007
Typical recipe for masa preparation:

Minimum for basic masa batter is:
Rice/corn flour, 668 g; (use the rice for tuwo)
Yeast, 3 g;
Sugar, 20 g;
Salt, 20 g;

Potash Water (kanwa water)

use a 5% potash solution i.e. 20g potash in every 400ml of water, then filter. Use 20ml of this solution for every 250g of masa batter from the mixture of the above ingredients – make as much as u need.

Fermentation is carried out for about 10 hours.

For frying, u can use the special frying pans for poached eggs, else, fry them like pancakes in a non-stick pan - not too much oil, it should not oversoak the masa.

U can eat it with yaji (dry spicey pepper), honey, stew, sauce, roasted chicken, suya or vegetable soup

Enjoy!!

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Masa? by ayeesha: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2007
thanks marissa

but how do i go about the preparation itself? do i soak the rice/corn with ordinary water or with the potash water?

do i grind the rice/corn after soaking or use it like that?
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2007
Slight mistake with the above, the rice should be 1kg.

Mill or grind it dry, then soak it in the kanwa / potash water. dont drind it too fine/ smooth. Allow to sit (covered) for 10 hours

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Masa? by tomX1(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2007
@marissa
Your post was lovely. I schooled up north years ago and am simply in love with hausa dishes and snacks but I realy can't remember most of their names.
Can you help me with the recipie for Fura (the ash colored balls used in making fura de nunu).
Any other hausa recipie you can add will be appreciated.
I tried pounding boiled rice to make "tuwo chinkafa" but it didn't workout. any tips there?
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by ayeesha: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2007
you dnt pound tuwon shinkafa. lol

what you do is cook the rice until its very very soft and almost sticking together.

then you use your spatula or wooden spoon to keep turning and marshing it together in the pot like you do for eba or semo.

i can just imagine what your "pounded tuwon shinkafa " looked like grin
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by tomX1(m): 10:28pm On Oct 12, 2007
@ayeesha,
Thanks alot. I'll try that. By the way is there a special brand of rice for doing tuwo? @Marrisa's post seems to sugest that.
marissa:

Typical recipe for masa preparation:

Minimum for basic masa batter is:
Rice/corn flour, 668 g; (use the rice for tuwo),
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:22am On Oct 15, 2007
Gush shocked, Masa i miss that so much.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by omoge(f): 3:06am On Oct 20, 2007
Ayeesha, have you tried it?

marissa, anything one can use instead of the potash?
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 22, 2007
Hi all,

yes, there's special rice for tuwon rice. It very white and broken. Usually sold by the hausa's. closest u can get to that is thai perfumed rice-not basmati, the other one that swells and soaks like crazy.

@omoge, sorry dear, no alternatives for potash yet. Will post soon as I try something else that works.

fura is made from powdered gero (guinea corn, millet - the dark green, grey ones, not red). There's some fermentation involved. Will post the recipe once I confirm. Never made it myself b ut i hear its really easy.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by tete(f): 6:09pm On Oct 22, 2007
Masa is a wonderful meal.

Recipie for fura

millet
Dry ginger
Some pepper
Cloves

Soak the millet over night (this will make it soft and ferment it)
Wash millet, and then remove the husk (the back, this can be done by adding a little water to the millet in a morter and using the pestle to rub against the millet. Do not pound).
When this is done, dry the millet.
Add the dry ginger, pepper and cloves (use your descretion to add these ingredients, should'nt be too spicey)and blend toghether until smooth.
Mix 3/4 of the dry mix with water until a thick paste is formed.
Roll the paste into medium sized balls and cook in water.
When the balls change colour competely to dark grey, remove from fire and strain the water.
Put cooked balls in a morter and pound toghether  adding a little water.
Roll the paste into balls again and toss into the remaining 1/4 of the dry mix.

Fura is usually taken with Yogurt, but in the north its taken with local yogurt called kundirimo

Mash the balls in a bowl and mix with sugar and yogurt and voila! your fura is ready, enjoy wink
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by omoge(f): 10:25pm On Oct 22, 2007
Marissa,

thanks. I plan to make it when am in nigeria instead of buying from mama Danladi.

I can't make it where I am right now.

do you like Pate?
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by bballchick(f): 11:07pm On Oct 22, 2007
wotz masa??/?
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by DisGuy: 1:09am On Oct 23, 2007
bballchick:

wotz masa??/?

rice/millet cake cheesy shocked

I tried pounding boiled rice to make "tuwo chinkafa" but it didn't workout. any tips there?

after rinsing the rice, use more water than you would for normal rice wink then stir it
or use a rice cooker wink
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by beelki(f): 11:22am On Oct 23, 2007
recipe
rice
yeast
baking powder
sugar
salt
groundnut oil

soak the rice 4 3 hours, grind the rice add yeast cover it and leave for at least 10 hours, put sugar and salt to taste, then u start frying it.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by queenbee2(f): 11:58am On Oct 24, 2007
Yummy Yummy Yummy grin Now am hungry

I wan eat Masa o abeg grin Don allah
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by vescucci(m): 8:59am On Oct 25, 2007
I love masa and the other variant, wayna! Fura da nunu, as long as it's clean is also a delight. I don't know the recipes for these things but I know you can make wayna with rice instead of corn. I guess there must be some how-to books out there to help y'all out. I'm gonna marry a hybrid, you know. Someone from all corners of the country and maybe even the continent to enjoy all the blissful food. Masa's got me salivating and drooling! grin
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by tukur2002n(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2007
I love massa too hmmm so delicious with mia taushe.

Marissa,
can also help with danwake recipe?
i love eating that food with main shanu and yaji using  my tooth pick to pick it one after the other.

i stay in the north 4 years and i eat lots of the northern food like brabisco,fura,danwake,masa,tuwon shinkafa,mian luru,kuka, lots.
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by tomX1(m): 3:10pm On Oct 30, 2007
Thans a bunch @marissa for the rice tip.
@tete, that fura recipe is heaven sent. thanks so much!
Re: How To Prepare Masa? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2007
@tete
thanks for the fura recipe. I've tried and its just PERFECT!! In fact I made so much that I had to keep the balls in a bowl in the fridge. I found that it hardens after the first day but if u pop them into the microwave for a minute or two, they are warm and soft like the moment they were first made. I just had some now - I mashed the fura into a milk and yoghurt mix and WOW, Still tasting fresh even after four days in the fridge!!! grin grin thanks again

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Fried Rice And Sauce / Health And Beauty Benefits Of Ewedu (jute Or Saluyot Leaves) / Moi-moi Made With Leaf, Plate, Nylon Or Foil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.